Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PYF Goth

]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
siouxsie in this video always reminded me of a scenario like, you're going over to a new friend's house for the first time and you meet his mom and it turns out his mom is a hot goth chick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpWuCMn2Uw

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Does Swicthblade Symphony count as goth? I never quite knew how to classify them, but they ruled.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

uber_stoat posted:

i follow a person on twitter who I remember from alt.gothic back in the late 90s, early oughts. she's still a purple haired goth lady. and still pretty cool imo.

I saw this pic posted somewhere with a comment(?) about bluejays in the corvid family and i thought it was funny

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

can I be an honorary goth if one of my playlists is like 4 hours straight of diary of dreams or is that the wrong genre

I will paint my fingernails black if it helps but i'd like to keep the hawaiian shirts

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does Swicthblade Symphony count as goth? I never quite knew how to classify them, but they ruled.

Yes holy moly does it ever. They’re incredibly goth.

blatman posted:

can I be an honorary goth if one of my playlists is like 4 hours straight of diary of dreams or is that the wrong genre

I will paint my fingernails black if it helps but i'd like to keep the hawaiian shirts

I’ll allow it. Don’t even need to paint your nails

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Goth music evolved into a genre known as darkwave, and Switchblade Symphony had a fair amount to do with that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

blatman posted:

Sorry, Hawaiian shirts were co-opted by the boogaloo bois. :negative:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

teen witch posted:

Yes holy moly does it ever. They’re incredibly goth.

cleopatra records :hmbol:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm an old rivethead, so I had a lot of overlap with the goth scene in my younger years. I've had some really fun times at goth parties, but there are also those times where I had to sit and listen to some seriously god awful poetry in a candle lit room that wreaked of dargon's blood incense for hours on end.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you don't have a big booty goth girl fetish do you even like women?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

If you don't have a big booty goth girl fetish do you even like women?

Gothicc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:hmmyes:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm an old rivethead, so I had a lot of overlap with the goth scene in my younger years. I've had some really fun times at goth parties, but there are also those times where I had to sit and listen to some seriously god awful poetry in a candle lit room that wreaked of dargon's blood incense for hours on end.

I got into goth via industrial so god do I know that pain ever well.

Like candles yes but if I’m hearing spoken word drat near anything it’s naptime for this bat

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I saw this pic posted somewhere with a comment(?) about bluejays in the corvid family and i thought it was funny

Except blue Jay's are giant assholes, so that kid would have to like torture small animals off-screen for it to work.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

teen witch posted:

Going on year 18 of my goth phase and so far it’s pretty cool, fun music and black is always slimming. Never too late to come hang with us

Seriously though, self expression is fun? I like how I look and I feel more comfortable that way? Sometimes a gal wants to listen to The Danse Society and have a nice time dancing with friends?

yep, I'm almost 40 and this is my bedding currently:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

yep, I'm almost 40 and this is my bedding currently:

that rules. i def need to make my living situation more satanic. serious lack of satan in my home at the moment.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

-Zydeco- posted:

Except blue Jay's are giant assholes

Incredibly wrong post.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

teen witch posted:

I got into goth via industrial so god do I know that pain ever well.

Like candles yes but if I’m hearing spoken word drat near anything it’s naptime for this bat

Did you ever have to sit through a séance? Because let me tell you, that was some really boring stuff.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Collapsing Farts posted:

Goths are super silly and they often don't stay goths for their whole lives (because it's silly and they eventually realize how stupid it is) hth

How are they any better than juggalos

Not liking ICP basically

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say they're both a huge step up from furries, but for some reason we're not making fun of them anymore. I guess dressing up like a teddy bear to gently caress is less weird than wearing black and listening to music.

I think people started giving furries a pass a few years ago when they started vehemently kicking their chuds out which gave them a better footing vs. a lot of other subcultures.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxxjF-7ojO4

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJc6-DgaQa0

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

*turns off monitor*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Word on the street's he's dead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Word on the street's he's dead.

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/1052250700737056768

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It's actually far from certain Odoacer was Gothic, it's more likely he was at least of mixed descent.

source: Pope Hilarius I was his contemporary

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say they're both a huge step up from furries, but for some reason we're not making fun of them anymore. I guess dressing up like a teddy bear to gently caress is less weird than wearing black and listening to music.

furries are majority lgbtq+, and as a result lovely people would use furry hate as a veiled form of bigotry against sexual minorities

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm a gamer, the most unique and important subculture. We're different and cooler than the rest of the sheep

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

We've collectively realized furies, goths, bronies, and other subcultures just want to be left alone to do their own thing and have moved on to making fun of the people wanting to do active harm to other human beings like the super rich, alt-right, and literal nazis.

I miss the times when what cartoon show someone liked was even on the radar of stuff worth caring about instead of the existential dread we live today.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is so oddly timely, but I just saw a teenage/early twenties goth girl who also happened to have Down Syndrome, and it was just so excellent. I think because there's this massive cultural pressure on people with Down Syndrome to be a super sweet adorable lesson to us all about what True Love Really Is, and this girl was just a classic huffy goth who hates everyone and everything because we're so SO LAME. gently caress cultural pressure, be a grumpy goth all you drat like :unsmith:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
please share music that bronies make that is as good as goth music.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bows1 posted:

please share music that bronies make that is as good as goth music.

i've heard rumors that Andrew Eldritch is a secret bronie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGyC-kF06w

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean if you're really asking.

It's like a whole scene

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Data Graham posted:

It's like a whole scene