Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

416 AQI in Roseville. I was outside for 15 mins sweeping my pool since the winds make our giant-rear end oak take a massive leafshit in our pool. By the time I was done, I was all gritty from the ash. Insane.
Yeah, there was a gnarly fire in SD in, like, 2007 or 2008 and I had to bike home like 8 miles to Mira Mesa as it got going that night.

Big-rear end particulates and ash so thick that my eyes were stinging and watery. I spent 20 minutes in the shower getting all the poo poo out of my hair and poo poo. I was coughing up ash for days after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The air quality in Sacramento has given me a full on wheezing asthma cough. I had to take several days off work, take steroids, and get a covid test for good measure.

Now I'm pretty much locked in my apartment with the HEPA filter going 24/7 when I'm not at work.

It's terrible end times poo poo here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Related, this refurb Winix air purifier is on sale and the filters can be found for pretty cheap. Costco used to carry this model but switched over to a shittier model
https://www.winixamerica.com/product/certified-refurbished-c535-air-purifier/

Use code SAVE10 for $10 off and free shipping.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Related, this refurb Winix air purifier is on sale and the filters can be found for pretty cheap. Costco used to carry this model but switched over to a shittier model
https://www.winixamerica.com/product/certified-refurbished-c535-air-purifier/

Use code SAVE10 for $10 off and free shipping.

Both colors out of stock :lol:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Both colors out of stock :lol:

Oops, sorry. I picked one up yesterday and it was still showing in stock when I posted that but looks like it was cached data

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Amazon is gouging prices on air purifiers I guess. They raised the price 25% on the Coway since I bought one in early August.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Amazon is gouging prices on air purifiers I guess. They raised the price 25% on the Coway since I bought one in early August.

Prices change a lot on Amazon. If you're talking about the model on this graph, then you might be able to map when there were major fire/smoke issues. That model in question is returning to 2016 prices, though it was also that high in November and December 2019 and January 2020.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Welcome to capitalism, enjoy the gaslighting accusations that you're just not being a savvy enough market participant!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

If you live in a smoke prone area you need to make stocking up on air purification supplies a routine part of your winters, because that's when the supplies are in stock and cheap.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its so orange outside that my phone refuses to believe it and automatically adjusts the white balance to make it look like a pleasant summer day

Also, I'm glad I decided to order a new, big air purifier like 2 day before the huge fires started. That investment paid off well

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sydin posted:

Wild, I took a walk for my lunch break and it was eerie as poo poo.

I was in South San Francisco today and the sun never came out. Not the usual gray day, but the eerie as gently caress tint you get when a big chunk of the state is on fire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here's a quick video I took from the Guadalupe River Trail on my break around 12:10PM or so:

https://streamable.com/kv7hfx

It was legit unsettling.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The high merv filters I keep taking out of the hvac are carbon black, and only really open the door to go in or out, but running air extraction now and then so we don't suffocate seems to bring in some interesting smells.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I can sympathize with people that are moving out of the bay area right now, I mean most people probably came here for a job. They don't have much connection with this place to justify paying sky high rents with suffocating smoke and plague.

It almost makes me wonder if this year of poo poo will become a turning point in which the bay area loses its luster as a commercial hub and companies just start closing offices and leaving for good.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If you live in a smoke prone area you need to make stocking up on air purification supplies a routine part of your winters, because that's when the supplies are in stock and cheap.

I delayed last winter's resupply because of the Australian fires and welp

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

adoration for none posted:

I can sympathize with people that are moving out of the bay area right now, I mean most people probably came here for a job. They don't have much connection with this place to justify paying sky high rents with suffocating smoke and plague.

It almost makes me wonder if this year of poo poo will become a turning point in which the bay area loses its luster as a commercial hub and companies just start closing offices and leaving for good.

err the weather is nearly perfect in a PNW kinda vein, its surrounded by gorgeous nature, thr city itself is pretty cool with a ton of culture. sf aint dying and there are tons of reasons people want to live there besides tech bro jobs and free human feces on every sidewalk

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I'm sure companies will leave, seeing as America in general is already losing its luster as a hub for things, and yeah CA has some of its own unique reasons on top of that, as does the Bay Area. But as long as the region is populated, places like downtown SF/Oakland/SJ will be notable commercial hubs. Just maybe not so much for fancy pants startup innovator bros or whatever

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I could absolutely see this area becoming our generation's Detroit. There are a lot of parallels honestly.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Such dark

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey, there’s a smoke cloud this morning!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/CALandscapeBot/status/1303693422159523842?s=20

:stare:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Bald Mountain Butt lol

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

416 AQI in Roseville. I was outside for 15 mins sweeping my pool since the winds make our giant-rear end oak take a massive leafshit in our pool. By the time I was done, I was all gritty from the ash. Insane.
I woke up to my bedroom basically filled with smoke. Its 100 degrees+ so we have to run the AC, but its a lovely window AC with no filter.
If someone sees another air purifier for less than $100, definitely post it up!

Do I have any standing with my landlord, technically the government is classifying the air in apartment as hazardous. LOL who am I kidding.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
https://twitter.com/_Floodlight/status/1303460480531406849?s=19

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

El Mero Mero posted:

I could absolutely see this area becoming our generation's Detroit. There are a lot of parallels honestly.

Nah, it's an important port for the country. Oakland is the 13th busiest port in the western hemisphere so even if a lot of the tech money somehow dries up in the bay area there'll still be the tug of a massive logistics hub to pull money in. The weather will shift for sure, but SF itself is expected to be like San Diego is today.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Admiral Ray posted:

Nah, it's an important port for the country. Oakland is the 13th busiest port in the western hemisphere so even if a lot of the tech money somehow dries up in the bay area there'll still be the tug of a massive logistics hub to pull money in. The weather will shift for sure, but SF itself is expected to be like San Diego is today.

ports don't equate to jobs anymore though, container shipping took care of that

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ports don't equate to jobs anymore though, container shipping took care of that

being close to a port is still pretty advantageous for businesses, even if the port doesn't translate immediately to jobs. places like Los Angeles and Houston wouldn't be the massive sprawling abominations they are today without their ports.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Admiral Ray posted:

being close to a port is still pretty advantageous for businesses, even if the port doesn't translate immediately to jobs. places like Los Angeles and Houston wouldn't be the massive sprawling abominations they are today without their ports.

that's true, manufacturing and esp chemical plants really want to be hooked up as close as they can, though it really feels like a chicken/egg problem to me

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Isn't stockton a large port? Isn't it also a massive shithole with large poverty?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Admiral Ray posted:

The weather will shift for sure, but SF itself is expected to be like San Diego is today.

Got some sources for that? I'm seeking similar info like this for other parts of the country too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

eSporks posted:

Isn't stockton a large port? Isn't it also a massive shithole with large poverty?

Port city... more like porta John city!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL, "Blade Runner" is trending on Twitter.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eSporks posted:

Yes, but theres a big gated community where all the non poor people live lol

Also, this hat for their minor league team is cool
https://ports.milbstore.com/collections/all-caps/products/stockton-ports-on-field-fitted-5-o-clock-dock-hat

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

droll posted:

Got some sources for that? I'm seeking similar info like this for other parts of the country too.

This is the interactive map I remember that from, but I was wrong by a bit. It's more like Palos Verdes Estates which is up the coast a bit. Still not bad, but definitely different than today.

Another good interactive map (though more confusing imo), is this one. It doesn't directly tell you what each county will be like with the mouseover, but does let you explore the tails of how temps will shift during a period of the year by letting you select 1 in 20 low, high, and median probabilities for each emission scenario. It gives the average temps for the entire state when you mouseover, and the temperature colormap shifts with the maxes/mins of your selection, so keep that in mind.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Admiral Ray posted:

Aren't they trying to sell the port and redevelop it with lovely condos and a new baseball stadium or something?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Centrist Committee posted:

Aren't they trying to sell the port and redevelop it with lovely condos and a new baseball stadium or something?

even dumber: they want to redevelop one terminal of the port, so you'd have a stadium and condos essentially inside a still-active port

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

eSporks posted:

Not really, not like Los Angeles/Long Beach, Oakland, or Seattle are. Stockton does bulk and break bulk, not containers, and only ~250 ships a year. There are two ships docked there today, with no ships arriving. 47 ships will arrive in Oakland today.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

even dumber: they want to redevelop one terminal of the port, so you'd have a stadium and condos essentially inside a still-active port

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1303727250525712384

taken at 9am. good thing climate change isnt real