Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is their name different in French?

Yes, it's Ottohomme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

webmeister posted:

Yes, it's Ottohomme

Otteauhomme, surely

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Otteauhommes, can't forget to mark the plural :eng101:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
L'Otteauhommes? Would that work?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
L'Eautteauhommes

The new fragrance for men

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Non seulement les Otteauhommes, mais les Otteaufemmes et les Otteaunfants aussi

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Smells Like Byzanteen Spirit

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

L'Otteauhommes? Because you're worth it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Smells Like Byzanteen Spirit

:five:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1296424719898550274

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...enario-3?page=1

Some guy on the G2G forums is going through scenario 3 and is charting the population and stability numbers from the current build. The implication is that food and stability are going to need a lot of resources dedicated to it especially at higher population. Also expending pop is a way to get food and stability under control.

Seriously at 15 pops the city will be consuming -242 food :stonk:.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1298296714466648064

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Danann posted:

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...enario-3?page=1

Some guy on the G2G forums is going through scenario 3 and is charting the population and stability numbers from the current build. The implication is that food and stability are going to need a lot of resources dedicated to it especially at higher population. Also expending pop is a way to get food and stability under control.

Seriously at 15 pops the city will be consuming -242 food :stonk:.

Seems like those aren't final numbers, or are scenario specific numbers.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1299414193158971396

Someone wanna do me a solid and transcribe or restate the video contents? Half-deaf at the best of times and I've got an ear infection making things worse.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://www.ign.com/articles/humankind-religion-system-pc-strategy-4x-civilization?amp=1

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1299414193158971396

Someone wanna do me a solid and transcribe or restate the video contents? Half-deaf at the best of times and I've got an ear infection making things worse.

[Romain de Waubert, Founder+Creative Director]
For Humankind, we looked at how religion shaped history, sometimes in amazing ways, sometimes in dark ways. We wanted religion to reflect this, to reinforce the immersion, enabling you to craft a deeper identity for your civilisation, but also providing a way for you to influence the people in the neighbouring cultures.

Now, religion evolves over the course of the game. It's volatile at first, with one religion for every civilisation. Religions slowly consolidate into a few large blocs. Civics also allow you to decide how religion is handled in your civilisation.

[Cut to William Dyce, Senior Game Designer]
So once your population has grown enough, you're able to found your first religion. Then, as the number of followers grows you can add new Tenets to the religion, which add bonuses. You can also adopt historical religions, in order to gain access to additional holy sites. Territories generate Faith based on civics, holy sites, religious districts, and so on. This faith is then used to spread your religion across the map. So if a territory is producing more faith than its neighbours, then after a few turns those territories, those neighbouring territories, will convert to your religion. You should note, though, that this can cause grievances, and be a cause for war down the road.

Each civilisation has a state religion. If enough followers of a different religion are present within your borders, you can choose to adopt that religion as your state religion. There'll be impacts on stability, either bonuses or penalties, based on what proportion of your population follows your state religion, so you'll want to go along with what your population wants. And there are various other reasons why you might want to change, for instance empires might be able to justify wars against you if you're of another religion. Or, you might want to adopt a neighbour's religion because it's quite strong, because it has a lot of tenets and bonuses. Bear in mind that only the religious leader, that is the civilisation that controls the most holy sites, is able to pick the next tenets that will be added to the religion.

Players will use civics to define their civilisation's posture towards religion. So this will allow players to choose how they treat religious minorities, and whether they go to war for religion. So you can pursue your religion very aggressively, expanding its borders, going to war, persecuting or banishing minorities. Or you can go for something much more open, accepting minorities, separating church and state. Or alternatively, you can leave this entirely up to your population, so you can accept the religion that they choose; maybe a neighbour's religion that's stronger than yours.

Various cultures in the game use religion in a number of different ways. For instance, in the early game the Olmecs, with their emblematic district the Colossal Head, are particularly good at spreading their religion because it produces a lot of faith. Other cultures have synergy bonuses that gain economic bonuses when they're building next to religious districts. And others, as well, might have military bonuses, so for instance the Teuton culture, their Teutonic Knights gain combat strength bonuses against units belonging to religions other than theirs.

[back to Romain]
So, religion is one additional way for you to shape your own civilisation, and leave your mark on humankind.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

First time opening this thread in months and they're still doing that thinking emoji bs

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

First time opening this thread in months and they're still doing that thinking emoji bs

:thunk:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Thanks!

That's really interesting, and I'm curious to see how it works out in actual practice.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It sounds extremely similar to civ 5, only with state religion on top (which i think was a civ 4 thing)

Not that that's a bad thing. I really liked how civ 5 religion worked. But i guess i was hoping for something new. Maybe in practice it will play very differently.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Stairmaster posted:

Bad news, the person in charge of thinking emojis has since been appointed Creative Director for All Systems You Were Vaguely Interested In

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm now absolutely determined to make sure the first mod for this game replaces the money icon with the thinking emoji wherever it appears

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The thinking emoji is nothing. One of the (I think) trading skill icons for Roving Clans in EL was a duck? Never worked that one out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tree Bucket posted:

The thinking emoji is nothing. One of the (I think) trading skill icons for Roving Clans in EL was a duck? Never worked that one out.

It's Atwood's duck but the producer never noticed it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Les Otteauhommes se révèlent

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

https://mobile.twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1303363040855941122

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

loyalty is not the word i would use for janissary

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Loyalty to who is left unsaid

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Renowned for its very expensive loyalty

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nice Sultan Camii you got there. Would be a shame if something happened to it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Davincie posted:

loyalty is not the word i would use for janissary

Infamous for its loyalty.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
They were loyal early on, weren't they? Like, it took a few centuries for the Janissaries to become, um, emblematic for the wrong reasons...?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sure, but endings disproportionately affect people's impressions of things. The Hindenburg isn't famous for fourteen months of safe flights.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The Janissaries were incredibly loyal to whoever they helped put in charge.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Rimusutera posted:

The Janissaries were incredibly loyal to whoever they helped put in charge.

"pre-emptive loyalty"

Gort posted:

Sure, but endings disproportionately affect people's impressions of things. The Hindenburg isn't famous for fourteen months of safe flights.

It is a weird way of looking at things. Maybe their French background affects things?? I love how they classed medieval England not as traders or fighters but as "agrarian." When I think Henry V, I think of grains and legumes!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
England had an association as a breadbasket / rich fertile region for a stretch I think? But not seen as very urban/complex? Like English wool was traded to Flanders and Italy for weaving for a long time.

The positioning of England alongside Franks in the medieval period is interesting broadly. Its heavily the Anglo-Norman period of English cultural identity and politics, given castles and longbowmen, but they could have gone with with the Anglo-Saxons alongside the Franks to emphasize the earlier medieval period. The latter section of what the game is gonna consider the Medieval Period saw the solidification of both these into the start of the English and French nation states which would have set both up as solid "Early Modern" culture picks, so you could go (Anglo)Saxons -> English, Franks -> French following history, but they punted the latter French iteration to the Industrial Era by all evidence, and just went for English in Medieval.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 10, 2020

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Presumably either the UK will be identified as such, or the list of ten civs they have for the next era doesn't include England at all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aerdan posted:

Presumably either the UK will be identified as such, or the list of ten civs they have for the next era doesn't include England at all.

No Britain in the Industrial Era would be a... choice.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Kingdom of England existed as a sovereign state from 927 to 1707, when it became the Kingdom of Great Britain, so I could see England in the Medieval and Great Britain in the Industrial being a reasonable way to go.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

England 🤔 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

England 🤔 🤔
England you say? I think I've heard of it. 🤔