Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

knox_harrington posted:

I don't have an SP but my normal fireblade is an incredibly good bike. I guess people give Honda poo poo for being less exciting than the other brands, which may be somewhat true, but it is just a really predictable, competent and accurate bike, and apart from the active damping has the same power and tech as the SP. May not be an issue but the fireblade was several thousand cheaper than the V4s.

Panigale looks the best, Aprilia probably the most exciting, Honda the boring competent choice.
Thanks for the perspective. I always thought the BMW was supposed to be the boring competent choice. In the US, the SP is arriving as a 2021 model at around the same price as the V4S with the Aprilia Factory being cheaper and the BMW S1000RR M being the most affordable somehow. If you look at base model Fireblade, the pricing is close to base model S1000RR/RSV4 RR/Panigale V2 pricing. Superbike pricing is pretty loltastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

Does the Honda CB 1100 qualify as enough old school under the tank to not fall into the bolt on retro trap?

Well it's actually a coherent design. Same goes for the CB1000r, it's a nicely designed bike, not a parts bin special.
Both are a completely different price class than the XSR or the SV650 Cafe of course.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i think bolt on retro is better than full on crap like the sr400, no? you get a modern engine and suspension setup with whatever aesthetic farkling you desire but in the end you have a rideable and good motorcycle

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the perspective. I always thought the BMW was supposed to be the boring competent choice. In the US, the SP is arriving as a 2021 model at around the same price as the V4S with the Aprilia Factory being cheaper and the BMW S1000RR M being the most affordable somehow. If you look at base model Fireblade, the pricing is close to base model S1000RR/RSV4 RR/Panigale V2 pricing. Superbike pricing is pretty loltastic.

Potentially relevant:

https://youtu.be/yGEfICjyGvI

I like them a good bit but I have poor taste so v0v. Part two supposed to be live this week.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheBacon posted:

Potentially relevant:

I like them a good bit but I have poor taste so v0v. Part two supposed to be live this week.

The SP looks phenomenal in those colours. Wow.

Great video.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The new cb1100 is very functionally similar to the old CB750. It's made with better materials, but they've sacrificed a lot of modern chassis improvements to keep the old school look. Doesn't matter to me, because I'm not trying to race it at the track, but if you need an ultimate corner carving machine, look elsewhere. People have done amazing things with the platform, visually and mechanically. And so can you with enough money.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

TheBacon posted:

Potentially relevant:

Thanks for the link. Gutless below 6k and an animal above 7-8k plus a super tall 1st gear that'll do an indicated 110 mph. Sounds impractical but like amazing fun and a good way to lose a license.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

The new cb1100 is very functionally similar to the old CB750. It's made with better materials, but they've sacrificed a lot of modern chassis improvements to keep the old school look. Doesn't matter to me, because I'm not trying to race it at the track, but if you need an ultimate corner carving machine, look elsewhere. People have done amazing things with the platform, visually and mechanically. And so can you with enough money.

Worth mentioning that they're very much a 'premium' machine, so a lot of what you pay for is the eye-watering, carved-from-solid-billets quality on every single little parts; it's like the CB750 your internet-addled mind imagines before you've had the chance to actually see one in person and realise that they're really old and awful. It's not like a humdrum normal japanese bike, it's more 'special' like the expensive euros or harleys bikes, but without the terribleness.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Worth mentioning that they're very much a 'premium' machine, so a lot of what you pay for is the eye-watering, carved-from-solid-billets quality on every single little parts; it's like the CB750 your internet-addled mind imagines before you've had the chance to actually see one in person and realise that they're really old and awful. It's not like a humdrum normal japanese bike, it's more 'special' like the expensive euros or harleys bikes, but without the terribleness.

Yes, absolutely. The paint, the chrome, the attention to detail is very premium. There is very little plastic, and even less of it is visible. And it feels solid, smooth and well-planted. Engine is tuned for low-end torque, and it feels much faster than it actually goes. Although it does run low 11's in the quarter mile.

I bought mine brand new, and of all motorcycles that I rotate on a regular basis, this one is here to stay. I feel like a decade from now, these are going to be very rare.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the link. Gutless below 6k and an animal above 7-8k plus a super tall 1st gear that'll do an indicated 110 mph. Sounds impractical but like amazing fun and a good way to lose a license.

I think the characteristics of literbike engines get exaggerated a lot, from my experience 4-7,000 rpm is uselessly nice and torquey, and you can ride around like that all day especially with the tall gearing, the only reason they get called "gutless" is because above 7,000ish, they do indeed turn into ravening bloodthirsty monsters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gutless at low revs on a literbike is still more torque than a 600 makes at peak. Journalists are the worst.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Gutless at low revs on a literbike is still more torque than a 600 makes at peak. Journalists are the worst.

Those two are complete and unrepentant dongs - they celebrate it, in fact - so you have to keep that in mind whenever you watch one of their reviews.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

You guys are right. I'm looking at a dyno chart for the new Fireblade SP and it is around 50 lb-ft at 4k and gets to about 60 at 5k and stays there until 7k where it shoots up to almost 80 lb-ft from 9k on. In comparison, a ZX6R makes about 52 peak. The Fireblade doesn't even make less torque than it's competitors. It's just less of a linear increase and more like a step function.

EDIT: As I noted before, the Fireblade SP is way expensive and makes utterly no sense for me even as a 3rd bike, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get one in the spring/summer of next year.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 9, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Those two are complete and unrepentant dongs - they celebrate it, in fact - so you have to keep that in mind whenever you watch one of their reviews.

I love 44t, they are the only good ones and the closest thing to old top gear with bikes - Fagan was even involved with fast bikes in the law-breaking days afaik. And they're right in that it's more top-end orientated than the other bikes they've tested. But people tend to interpret 'slightly less urge' as 'gaping two stroke sized hole', because all the bikes are so very similar that any differences get exaggerated for effect just so people have something to say besides 'it's really really fast'.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

With the Vitpilen/Svartpilen now at 5k are they suddenly a good deal? $500 less than the Duke, same engine and electronics, arguably better looks. I'm still leaning towards an MT03, but I have a Husky dealer in town that a coworker recommended, so it crossed my mind.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sit one one first as they have uncomfortable seats (which seat concepts could surely fix anyway). The husky's look the business tho and in your shoes I'd strongly consider buying one if it was 5k out the door.

They fall prey to the same poor qc and design that the 390 has, and the MT03 would probably be a better designed bike. But the MT is a visual mess and the Husky is one of the best looking bikes on the market today.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I actually like the MT03 looks wise, especially in the non black colorway and it will be cheaper than the Husky and won't have any mechanical foibles. But man, the Huskies look good.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is recommending a used Ninjette still acceptable? I feel like as the forum has aged we have moved towards "gently caress it just buy new who cares".

If you don't have your heart set on either bike, just buy a used low displacement bike and save your money for the bike you really want in a year. With how the world looks, I wouldn't be signing myself up for big purchases right now anyways.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Some of us work in healthcare or defense contracting and the world looks JUST GREAT right now.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Coydog posted:

Is recommending a used Ninjette still acceptable? I feel like as the forum has aged we have moved towards "gently caress it just buy new who cares".

If you don't have your heart set on either bike, just buy a used low displacement bike and save your money for the bike you really want in a year. With how the world looks, I wouldn't be signing myself up for big purchases right now anyways.

Used bike market is INSANE where I am, so much so that buying new seems to make sense for entry level bikes given the added benefits (everything works, warranty). I'm keeping my eye out, but it's not much of a buyer's market.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This is why selling my 125 shortly is going to be so so so sweet.

Bought it for £1700 in November. Gonna put it up on eBay at £3000 and drop it by £200 a week and see when someone bites.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a fair point. The used market is complete trash all over right now. If anything, I feel like the dealers are feeling the hit and likely to provide a fair deal. So that is prudent to consider new, just be sure you really like what you are buying. I doubt the used market will be as good next year.

Steakandchips posted:

Bought it for £1700 in November. Gonna put it up on eBay at £3000 and drop it by £200 a week and see when someone bites.

Sell it now. I am praying for the crash next year to yield a spread of super cheap bikes on the market.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 9, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Coydog posted:

That is a fair point. The used market is complete trash all over right now. If anything, I feel like the dealers are feeling the hit and likely to provide a fair deal. So that is prudent to consider new, just be sure you really like what you are buying. I doubt the used market will be as good next year.

Sell it now. I am praying for the crash next year to yield a spread of super cheap bikes on the market.
Nobody is "feeling any hit" right now. Motorcycles are selling like hotcakes across the board, dealers can't keep them in stock, especially the base and cheaper variants. A waiting list for a dirt bike is several months. Doesn't matter which brand, even Harley is doing well. This actually goes for the entire recreational vehicle market.

Yes, millions of people are newly unemployed. But a large swath of population is working from home and not spending money that they would have blown on restaurants, vacations, shows and events. Those people are flush with cash and they're spending it in a few select ways. Look at the car sales and home electronics sale numbers

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah, the used market here in Seattle is insanity. Dealers dont have bikes. Used bikes are stupid high no matter the condition and good trail bikes are either not showing up or have an ungodly price. Literally anything with an engine in any shape (running or not) has starting price of $1k. Does it run? $2k. Doesn't matter if its a 1992 XR50 mini bike thats all rusted out or a 1960 trail 90 project bike that has a seized engine. Oh, its a clapped out but running 2001 WR250F thats has never had any maintenance ... $4k.

I'm very happy I bought my bike when I did because I would be very discouraged trying to get into it now.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s definitely the opposite of what I expected. I expected people hurting for money so a lot of nice things to be flooding the used market as people needed cash over toys. Boy was I wrong. I’m sure there is still some of that but as pointed out the influx of those still with disposable income and their usual outlets blocked is more than making up for it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

TheBacon posted:

It’s definitely the opposite of what I expected. I expected people hurting for money so a lot of nice things to be flooding the used market as people needed cash over toys. Boy was I wrong. I’m sure there is still some of that but as pointed out the influx of those still with disposable income and their usual outlets blocked is more than making up for it.

I suspect that part is still coming, but I’ve also given up trying to make sense of things so who knows.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I didn't realize that the used market was so crazy now. I should sell my RC390 while the engine and headgasket are still perfect and either put the money toward part of the cost of an 890R or save it toward my get Yuns a new superbike fund..

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Verman posted:

.I'm very happy I bought my bike when I did because I would be very discouraged trying to get into it now.

:same:

Obviously in November I had no idea what 2020 would be like but my motorcycle has been a lifesaver for months of quarantine

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

TheBacon posted:

I was thinking the same thing at first. I think covid struck at the right time because if this happened towards the start of winter, probably wouldn't be the same effect. Maybe it would. Who knows.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I have a buddy who runs a bike dealership and he said May 2020 was their best month in like 30 years of operation.

I also know multiple people who bought RV’s and boats. It’s nuts.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol my dad bought a fifth wheel a couple months ago (lineman so not COVID-effected, just good timing) and now he is laughing to the bank as his house currently burns down in OR :D

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Given how tight bike supplies are, it's amazing just how many used Africa Twins with < 2000 miles I see up for sale at reasonable prices.

After riding a bunch of ~650cc 'adventure' bikes over the last couple weeks looking for an upright road commuter, I've confirmed I'm the most boring motorcyclist possible, as I actually like the NC750X the best. But for about a thousand dollars more, I could get a couple year old Africa Twin 1000 with very low miles.

How much of a fool's errand is it to try to time new model releases? There's rumors of a whole new line of 850cc Hondas to be announced later this year, and I'd hate to buy a brand new bike only for the updated version to be announced a couple months later.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Steakandchips posted:

Can confirm it sucks buying used 125s right now, anything decent is nearly new price, anything cheap is gone in minutes. Still slightly tempted to go get a new Chinese bike because at least they've stayed the same price.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BabelFish posted:

Given how tight bike supplies are, it's amazing just how many used Africa Twins with < 2000 miles I see up for sale at reasonable prices.

After riding a bunch of ~650cc 'adventure' bikes over the last couple weeks looking for an upright road commuter, I've confirmed I'm the most boring motorcyclist possible, as I actually like the NC750X the best. But for about a thousand dollars more, I could get a couple year old Africa Twin 1000 with very low miles.

How much of a fool's errand is it to try to time new model releases? There's rumors of a whole new line of 850cc Hondas to be announced later this year, and I'd hate to buy a brand new bike only for the updated version to be announced a couple months later.

The problem with the Africa Twin is, you'll need to budget another $200-$500 for a seat concepts or Corbin seat plus however much extra for experimenting with different windscreens until you can find one that doesn't vibrate your head like a paint shaker.
Worth it if the bike is still a good deal with those additional costs factored in. The bike is pretty brutal to ride without them though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

The problem with the Africa Twin is, you'll need to budget another $200-$500 for a seat concepts or Corbin seat plus however much extra for experimenting with different windscreens until you can find one that doesn't vibrate your head like a paint shaker.
Worth it if the bike is still a good deal with those additional costs factored in. The bike is pretty brutal to ride without them though.

this is 100% a personal thing. dirtbike seats are fine for people who ride pedal bikes all the time (me). windscreens are going to also be a personal thing. a lot of it depends on your torso length and helmet style. a shorter torso that doesn't hit 100% clean air is going to get a lot of buffeting compared to a longer torso (me lol) that sticks out into clean air

I had zero issues when I test rode an AT besides the fact that it was a heavy pig with not enough horsepower and godawful forks. they're solid bikes

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

this is 100% a personal thing. dirtbike seats are fine for people who ride pedal bikes all the time (me). windscreens are going to also be a personal thing. a lot of it depends on your torso length and helmet style. a shorter torso that doesn't hit 100% clean air is going to get a lot of buffeting compared to a longer torso (me lol) that sticks out into clean air

I had zero issues when I test rode an AT besides the fact that it was a heavy pig with not enough horsepower and godawful forks. they're solid bikes

I had one for 3 days, loved the engine, hated the seat, and was incompatible with the windscreen. I was using it purely on-road though, other than campsites. It wasn't so much low frequency buffeting though as a constant ~70hz vibration. Even with my helmet brim removed it still vibrated my eyeballs at that frequency at highway speed.
The triumph tiger 800 XRX is a better bike out of the box, but I'd rather have the Honda once I sorted out the seat and windscreen. I don't know how they did it, when the 675 triple is so fun and playful, but they somehow made the 800 triple as bland as white bread with no butter. I have a highly uncalbrated rear end, and other than being able to tell that the triumph had much plusher suspension, I couldn't really find fault with the Honda, but then I wasn't really pushing it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

I had one for 3 days, loved the engine, hated the seat, and was incompatible with the windscreen. I was using it purely on-road though, other than campsites. It wasn't so much low frequency buffeting though as a constant ~70hz vibration. Even with my helmet brim removed it still vibrated my eyeballs at that frequency at highway speed.
The triumph tiger 800 XRX is a better bike out of the box, but I'd rather have the Honda once I sorted out the seat and windscreen. I don't know how they did it, when the 675 triple is so fun and playful, but they somehow made the 800 triple as bland as white bread with no butter. I have a highly uncalbrated rear end, and other than being able to tell that the triumph had much plusher suspension, I couldn't really find fault with the Honda, but then I wasn't really pushing it.

oh no doubt. I just hear lots of bitching on advrider about all sorts of subjective stuff that depends on a billion little things that can discourage people from even trying the bike before writing it off. like tons of people bitch about heat off the LC8 and that's subjective depending on what gear you wear and your tolerance to heat and where you ride. I just think everyone should test ride everything so they can figure out what they like / want is all!

that being said I agree with ya on the AT / tiger. I liked the AT more even though it was quite heavy for the power it made. I wish honda would do a light 700ish AT like the t7 / 790, but knowing them it'd be 500lbs wet with about 50hp lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You are seeing used Africa Twins on a lower end of used price spectrum, because the 2020 (or is it 2021?) model as been nicely redesigned with many quality of life features and is now available. The seat, windshield, display, suspension, all have been changed for the better. And the screen is now height-adjustable, gently caress yeah. It's a story of many new Honda models, I've noticed. Rush to market, then begin making incremental quality of life changes as years go on. At least their build quality is top notch.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it's the 2020 that has carplay on it. it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
my dad's '16 DCT AT has 70k miles on it as of today. the most recent thing he's done to it was the original rear wheel bearings failed on a trip and he rode it home with half the bearings left lol

it's a drat reliable bike