Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
Personally, I think it's good and a sign of an orderly mind that Bucky has a 2 gig txt file of all the mean things anyone has ever said to or about him, that he saves and reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

Personally, I think it's good and a sign of an orderly mind that Bucky has a 2 gig txt file of all the mean things anyone has ever said to or about him, that he saves and reviews.

:emptyquote:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

ashpanash posted:

I could totally buy some trump-aligned 'operatives' or whatever taking up the Q mantle after it moved to 8kun[snip]

Before that I think the evidence squarely falls in the 'homegrown prank turned to unpredictable religion' side of things.

'evidence'? What evidence supports homegrown prank?

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

croup coughfield posted:

Don't push him away man, this is what the forums are for!

Goon Project: Qanon.

Idea: Let's deprogram people caught up in the Qanon conspiracy theory.

Reality: User creates their own conspiracy cinematic universe and uses their knowledge of this mystery to strike back at posters they perceive to have wronged them.

Hopefully we get another William Freund out of it when Bucky shows up at someone's house looking for vengance.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The suggestion that "Q is the work of an agency", is based on the premise that political influence is a Thing that exists, that it can involve fake internet accounts, and that this is something the "trump team" (however you want to define that) has done.
fake accounts started out hilariously easy to sniff out and even the non-terminally online can spot them now. no one in the trump organization is capable of "controlling q" without live streaming themselves falling out of a closet with their pants around their ankles choking on a "i am q" sign around their neck.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Uglycat posted:

like, stuff like this:
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531

It doesn't matter, I'm not getting into this argument. It solves nothing. It isn't funny. This derail is making me want to unsubscribe from this thread. Let's go back to making fun of and gawping in amazement at the Qanon bullshit rather than arguing about unimportant poo poo like who came up with the original idea.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Uglycat posted:

It's too messy and crazy to be organised. Starting out with the failed prophecy of Hilary getting arrested seems an odd opening move for something actually planned.

Whereas it fits with being amazed the idiots not only fell for that one but came up with even dafter theories to explain why she's still free triggering a longer troll of much more vague stuff that needs to be decoded and doesn't risk instantly demonstrating itself to be false again.

I might be wrong it could be like a scam e-mail in that by being deliberately unconvincing it weeds out unbelievers and keeps only the faithful around, but I don't think so. A genuine psyop would be more credible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also like, Occam's Razor. But whether Q being homegrown or a government conspiracy is the most straightforward reason I guess depends on your preconceptions. But given how many cults have taken off with vague prophecies and the general effectiveness of the Barnum Effect, it's a known thing that works.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I believe that the origin of it is academically interesting to outsiders but it is immaterial to the believers inside it, especially if you're trying to de-convert them. If "Qanon" is a couple of guys making poo poo up on 4chan, then the "real Q" is clearly working through them to establish a cover. If it's a lobbyist project, then they've clearly got ties to the good guys fighting the deep state. If it's not Trump, that just proves it's Trump because he's a master strategist using seven layers of cover, and so forth.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

croup coughfield posted:

you just made the list buddy

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

fake accounts started out hilariously easy to sniff out and even the non-terminally online can spot them now. no one in the trump organization is capable of "controlling q" without live streaming themselves falling out of a closet with their pants around their ankles choking on a "i am q" sign around their neck.

Are you familiar with the concept of 'outsourcing', where a campaign will pay professionals to do something on their behalf.
And sadly they're not always easy to spot anymore, even on FB and twitter, let alone an anonymous platform like 4Chan.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

It's too messy and crazy to be organised. Starting out with the failed prophecy of Hilary getting arrested seems an odd opening move for something actually planned.

Whereas it fits with being amazed the idiots not only fell for that one but came up with even dafter theories to explain why she's still free triggering a longer troll of much more vague stuff that needs to be decoded and doesn't risk instantly demonstrating itself to be false again.

I might be wrong it could be like a scam e-mail in that by being deliberately unconvincing it weeds out unbelievers and keeps only the faithful around, but I don't think so. A genuine psyop would be more credible.

Hillary's 'arrest' (extradition/detainment) was only in the first 1 or 2, and I'm happy to concede they could have been a joke. The trip codes changed a fair bit in the first 10 days / 100 posts. They weren't called "Q" until 3 days later, 60 posts in.

As for the rest, I think you're remembering them as crazier than they were, it might be worth taking another look. Here's a sample for instance:
https://medium.com/@daniel.ed.morrison/q-drops-9b0df12668ad

It is the job of these agencies know this community and its prejudices and its credulity, and which levers to pull to exploit it.

Not a plan just opportunists, idiots and people pushing the boundaries of public gullibility for giggles.

During the recent Qanon savethechildren rallies I believe there was a Q drop saying the rallies were Q imposters and not the real deal.

Which I assumed was the trolls getting panicky about how much real world interest they've generated and trying to walk it back a bit.

Can you see a contradiction here? "Trolls" would not panic about real world interest, that's their whole goal, they would never walk it back. An agency, however, would be worried about losing control of the narrative, which is what what started to happen.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 10, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The concept of outsourcing is not evidence.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

indiscriminately posted:

Has any reporting provided well-founded statistics about the extent and growth of the QAnon movement? Like based on national polling or study of social media data, etc?

Secondary to that I'm wondering about what power QAnon has / could plausibly have as a semi-unified political force. My impression is it's been shown (anecdotally) to be able to infect people outside the traditional Trump base, so it wouldn't necessarily be correct say that that is its full potential. I'm sure this is a focus of inquiry, has there been good reporting about it?

https://graphika.com/reports/interpreting-social-qs-implications-of-the-evolution-of-qanon/

https://www.axios.com/qanons-2020-resurgence-41759d2b-7d08-4d6e-bad0-d2a63b6285ad.html

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/co...tm_campaign=RSS

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/qanon-coronavirus-disinformation_n_5eea6123c5b6a475b84c90c2?ri18n=true

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/technology/plandemic-movie-youtube-facebook-coronavirus.html

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/02/qanon-2020/

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/qanon-looms-behind-nationwide-rallies-viral-hashtags-n1237722

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-qanon-rode-pandemic-new-heights-fueled-viral-anti-mask-n1236695

https://theconversation.com/qanon-conspiracy-theory-followers-step-out-of-the-shadows-and-may-be-headed-to-congress-141581

e - https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-94-the-new-age-to-qanon-pipeline

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 10, 2020

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

And sadly they're not always easy to spot anymore, even on FB and twitter, let alone an anonymous platform like 4Chan.
so your entire argument is "NU-UH!"?
neat. this conversation can only be productive!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

You’ve been told like a billion times. Explain your links, don’t post like a Qanon.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

so your entire argument is "NU-UH!"?
neat. this conversation can only be productive!

The IRA were able to successfully deploy thousands of accounts during the election to great effect without detection until it was too late: https://www.wired.com/story/russia-ira-propaganda-senate-report/

Perhaps if you went back and looked at them now, you may be able to tell. That doesn't change the fact that they were not detected. And on 4Chan it is basically impossible. It's moved past "How do you do, fellow kids".

There are methodologies that can be deployed, and will be vital in the fight ahead: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330629456_Detecting_Fake_Accounts_on_Social_Media

However, the above does not apply to anonymous platform, nor does it deal with organic accounts (Cernovic, Posobiec) operating from a certain playbook.

Captain Monkey posted:

You’ve been told like a billion times. Explain your links, don’t post like a Qanon.

"Yes indiscriminatley, there has been good reporting providing well-founded statistics about the extent and growth of the QAnon movement, and the power QAnon has / could plausibly have as a semi-unified political force. Sorry that the thread never answered your question, here are some examples for you, as requested, I hope you might find them useful:"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

"Yes indiscriminatley, there has been good reporting providing well-founded statistics about the extent and growth of the QAnon movement, and the power QAnon has / could plausibly have as a semi-unified political force. Sorry that the thread never answered your question, here are some examples for you, as requested, I hope you might find them useful:"

How do your sources prove this. Based on your past posting history, you make leaps of thought that are not logical. Walk people through it step by step. Posting like 30 random article links isn’t helpful to your cause, and neither is a glib reply.

Also, nobody has ever said it couldn’t. Your goalposts keep shifting from ‘I know for a fact and without a doubt that Roger Stone himself posts on 8chan as Q’ to ‘it’s possible Q may have had some organizing force at some time’.

Which is it? Nobody disagrees with option 2, but they also aren’t convinced. Your job, as the one making the claim, is to convince people.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

bucky's own posts are actually excellent evidence that qanon is a largely organic artifact driven by peoples own desire to build narrative and create patterns where there are none

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

How do your sources prove this. Based on your past posting history, you make leaps of thought that are not logical. Walk people through it step by step. Posting like 30 random article links isn’t helpful to your cause, and neither is a glib reply.

Also, nobody has ever said it couldn’t. Your goalposts keep shifting from ‘I know for a fact and without a doubt that Roger Stone himself posts on 8chan as Q’ to ‘it’s possible Q may have had some organizing force at some time’.

Which is it? Nobody disagrees with option 2, but they also aren’t convinced. Your job, as the one making the claim, is to convince people.

Explain your interpretation of indiscrimately's post. They asked for reports, I provided them. It's very simple. There is nothing to "walk people through".

quote:

Nobody disagrees with option 2,

lol

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Bucky must have some dirt on the mods, it's the only explanation for why he hasn't been banned!!!!!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

bucky's own posts are actually excellent evidence that qanon is a largely organic artifact driven by peoples own desire to build narrative and create patterns where there are none

hey so out of curiosity, how do you think the Seth Rich Assassination Story came to be what it is?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

hey so out of curiosity, how do you think the Seth Rich Assassination Story came to be what it is?

i am sure elements of qanon have been signal boosted by some bad actors looking to support republican efforts, but isolated incidents do not a large conspiracy make. there also is a distinction between 'group of people who share a common goal performing things in pursuit of that goal' and 'conspiracy with a single origin'

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Bucky must have some dirt on the mods, it's the only explanation for why he hasn't been banned!!!!!

Well walk with me to the southern wall to see who Bucky truly is. As you can see, this red string here...

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He's clearly been killed and replaced with a clone so no-one will suspect.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

i am sure elements of qanon have been signal boosted by some bad actors looking to support republican efforts, but isolated incidents do not a large conspiracy make. there also is a distinction between 'group of people who share a common goal performing things in pursuit of that goal' and 'conspiracy with a single origin'

Can you please explain your understanding of how the Seth Rich story came to be.

If you are unfamiliar with it, can I point you towards this source: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/conspiracyland/id1471037693

Then maybe you can give us some of your thoughts.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Are we sure he isn't a CTR troll? We had a few paid to post here and they went absolutely apeshit in exactly the same way.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Big Hubris posted:

Are we sure he isn't a CTR troll? We had a few paid to post here

whoa man are you suggesting that forums can be infiltrated, sounds like a conspiracy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
tbh i think Bucky is potentially onto something reasonable (the premise that QAnon is Roger Stone fuckery doesn't seem overly out there or anything)

but, like a large majority of us, he has Cool Zone Brain and is very overly emotional about it + not really articulating his point well

i get why he's being received badly, but i feel like we should probably try to be a little more sympathetic and not piss in the well for once, because i think pretty much everyone has some level of :brainworms: going on at this moment in time and he's not exactly unique. and pissing in the well isn't making him articulate his point better, it's just riling him up and making him worse at it.

e: while i do think it's possible for SA to get infiltrated, and i think i've actually put that idea forth before (i honestly think it's plausible on the sole basis that the guy who started Bellingcat, a thing that the Russian gov't is very very angry about the existence of, is a prominent user and former mod on this very sub, and Putin is enough of a petty rear end in a top hat that I'd buy it even if SA is relatively dead)

i don't think it'd be a guy with a 2007 regdate suggesting a premise that's more or less believable and just being very bad at explaining it

that'd be a weird loving way to infiltrate a forum when the pattern on, say, twitter or reddit is more "a flood of new accounts showing up just to yell about whatever they're being paid to post about, which is usually aggressively stupid and/or Nazi bullshit"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 11, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bucky's own posting on this page is starting to make me think he's just trolling, his 'just asking questions!!!' and putting questions back on his audience when he gets pushed to actually make anything even resembling an actual statement is further indication.

Probably gonna stop trying to get him to post in good faith and just start reporting his posts.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Bucky's own posting on this page is starting to make me think he's just trolling, his 'just asking questions!!!' and putting questions back on his audience when he gets pushed to actually make anything even resembling an actual statement is further indication.

Probably gonna stop trying to get him to post in good faith and just start reporting his posts.

How do you think should Indiscriminately's post should have been responded to?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

tbh i think Bucky is potentially onto something reasonable (the premise that QAnon is Roger Stone fuckery doesn't seem overly out there or anything)

but, like a large majority of us, he has Cool Zone Brain and is very overly emotional about it + not really articulating his point well

i get why he's being received badly, but i feel like we should probably try to be a little more sympathetic and not piss in the well for once, because i think pretty much everyone has some level of :brainworms: going on at this moment in time and he's not exactly unique. and pissing in the well isn't making him articulate his point better, it's just riling him up and making him worse at it.

e: while i do think it's possible for SA to get infiltrated, and i think i've actually put that idea forth before (i honestly think it's plausible on the sole basis that the guy who started Bellingcat, a thing that the Russian gov't is very very angry about the existence of, is a prominent user and former mod on this very sub, and Putin is enough of a petty rear end in a top hat that I'd buy it even if SA is relatively dead)

i don't think it'd be a guy with a 2007 regdate suggesting a premise that's more or less believable and just being very bad at explaining it

that'd be a weird loving way to infiltrate a forum when the pattern on, say, twitter or reddit is more "a flood of new accounts showing up just to yell about whatever they're being paid to post about, which is usually aggressively stupid and/or Nazi bullshit"

We’ve definitely had at least one professional IDF apologist, I think back in the LF days. We had a few scientologists come by when chanology was going full-speed as well.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Are you suggesting Lowtax is going to get some sweaty Novichok socks in the near future, or is Jeffrey a Russian hacker?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Are you suggesting Lowtax is going to get some sweaty Novichok socks in the near future, or is Jeffrey a Russian hacker?

Brown Moses founded Bellingcat, which has devoted a lot of time to journalism on hosed up poo poo Putin does. I don't think they'd go as far as killing anyone involved with the site or taking it over entirely, but them pulling some sort of forums fuckery to get a weird petty own in on him is a thing I'd watch out for.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Q is vilerat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Captain Monkey posted:

Q is vilerat.

Punishing all of us from beyond the grave for our terrible posts.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Are you familiar with the concept of 'outsourcing', where a campaign will pay professionals to do something on their behalf.

Hillary's 'arrest' (extradition/detainment) was only in the first 1 or 2, and I'm happy to concede they could have been a joke. The trip codes changed a fair bit in the first 10 days / 100 posts. They weren't called "Q" until 3 days later, 60 posts in.

As for the rest, I think you're remembering them as crazier than they were, it might be worth taking another look. Here's a sample for instance:

It's all dizzyingly mad. If Qanon ever sounds remotely reasonable it's just the stopped clock effect.

Can you see a contradiction here? "Trolls" would not panic about real world interest, that's their whole goal, they would never walk it back. An agency, however, would be worried about losing control of the narrative, which is what what started to happen.

They did try to walk it back though, they claimed savethechildren were imposters trying to make Q look bad.

Making people believe something ludicrous is funny, Qanon has hit the big time though. You've got people running for office who are into it, Trump tweeting some of it protests waving Q placards about it real world violence and harassment campaigns inspired by it even a few murders by believers. The press are looking closer, the FBI are looking closer and have reopened the pizzagate file and it's trickling out into the real world in other countries. The FBI have even called it a domestic terrorist threat which means they can pretty much do whatever they want now.

Things are suddenly more serious the trolls anonymity relies on the word/security of a child pornographer using a Russian provider who lives in a country where you can easily buy the cops, serious agencies with very scary capabilities are scrutinising it and then they suddenly try to distance themselves from the rallies.

Looks like trolls panicking.

Morningwoodpecker fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 11, 2020

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's all dizzyingly mad. If Qanon ever sounds remotely reasonable it's just the stopped clock effect.

Can I suggest that there is exactly the right amount of madness for it to be not taken seriously from the outside, while still being effective on the inside. Which is what's happened.
E- like, this isn’t a hypothetical. It’s worked. We’re looking at it. It makes no sense to critique it that way.

Again, this is not a stopped clock: https://medium.com/@daniel.ed.morrison/q-drops-9b0df12668ad

quote:

They did try to walk it back though, they claimed savethechildren were imposters trying to make Q look bad.

Making people believe something ludicrous is funny, Qanon has hit the big time though. You've got people running for office who are into it, Trump tweeting some of it protests waving Q placards about it real world violence and harassment campaigns organised by it even a few murders by believers. The press are looking closer, the FBI are looking closer and have reopened the pizzagate file and it's trickling out into the real world in other countries. The FBI have even called it a domestic terrorist threat which means they can pretty much do whatever they want now.

Things are suddenly more serious the trolls anonymity relies on the word/security of a child pornographer using a Russian provider who lives in a country where you can easily buy the cops, serious agencies with very scary capabilities are scrutinising it and then they suddenly try to distance themselves from the rallies.

Looks like trolls panicking.

yeah, and my point is, trolls have no reason to panic and walk it back, the more craziness the better. An agency however, wants to control the narrative, since that is their point, so this seems to suggest that it's not trolls.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 11, 2020

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Can I suggest that there is exactly the right amount of madness for it to be not taken seriously from the outside, while still being effective on the inside. Which is what's happened.
E- like, this isn’t a hypothetical. It’s worked. We’re looking at it. It makes no sense to critique it that way.

Again, this is not a stopped clock: https://medium.com/@daniel.ed.morrison/q-drops-9b0df12668ad

yeah, and my point is, trolls have no reason to panic and walk it back, the more craziness the better. An agency however, wants to control the narrative, since that is their point, so this seems to suggest that it's not trolls.

They just tried to walk it back about the savethechildren rallies.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

They just tried to walk it back about the savethechildren rallies.

Yes. Which is more consistent with it being an agency than it is with being troll. Because a troll would be laughing their arse off, while an agency needs to retain control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Yes. Which is more consistent with it being an agency than it is with being troll. Because a troll would be laughing their arse off, while an agency needs to retain control.

If it were an agency whose fiendish plan was working they'd signal boost it instead of immediately going at the guy organising it. Listen to the latest qanon anonymous podcast for the details of that.

Look at the way the Brexit thing in England was messed with or the last American election. You get Russian trolls supporting both sides of the argument attacking people reasonably discussing it to get division and animosity going, they don't actually have a preference in the debate beyond that the debate isn't reasonable. Both sides of the debates then accuse the other of being in league with the Russians in America or weakening England with Brexit, as England never really had such a full on reds under the beds scare.

Its about sowing division not controlling the narrative or having a master plan. So you might well have agencies boosting Q a bit but not actually steering it.