Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fruits of the sea posted:

The XP boost you get from SoD isn't a big deal IMO since a new character in BG2 can waltz right into a fight with beholders, vampires or a dragon if they pick the wrong quest line to start with.

Ehh, the game mostly pushes you towards the easier ones, and you never have to fight a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, the game mostly pushes you towards the easier ones, and you never have to fight a dragon.

Since I know the game by heart, my starting order is something like (minor BG2 spoiler-y list:) Circus tent, slavers, kill the bandit party in the Seven Vales, Fighter quest, maybe Korgan's quest around here, and then my own class's quest and some minor stuff that's shoved in your face. At that point you can either move the plot along or keep futzing around the rest of the quests, so this works out. But since I do this every drat time, I honestly can't remember are the first two signaled to the player somehow, or do you have to stumble into them?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

The XP boost you get from SoD isn't a big deal IMO since a new character in BG2 can waltz right into a fight with beholders, vampires or a dragon if they pick the wrong quest line to start with.

I almost always play as a dual class F/T, and SOD gives you enough experience to get your thief skills back. Instead of starting off BG2 in Irenicus' dungeon as an underleveled thief relegated to detecting traps at the back of the party, you're a Duregar-exploding backstab machine.

This is not a complaint.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rappaport posted:

Since I know the game by heart, my starting order is something like (minor BG2 spoiler-y list:) Circus tent, slavers, kill the bandit party in the Seven Vales, Fighter quest, maybe Korgan's quest around here, and then my own class's quest and some minor stuff that's shoved in your face. At that point you can either move the plot along or keep futzing around the rest of the quests, so this works out. But since I do this every drat time, I honestly can't remember are the first two signaled to the player somehow, or do you have to stumble into them?

Those first two are easy to miss but they're located in the very early areas.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
IIRC Circus Tent is signalled in that it's right there in Waukeen's Promenade, where you emerge from the starting dungeon, and one of the nearby guards tells you "hey, have you heard about this super-weird circus tent?" or words to that effect. I always assumed it was intended to be the first quest the party does after the intro.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Skwirl posted:

You kill a dragon for it. Though you when you meet the dragon you have the option of leaving peacefully, you should do that and wait until the paladin order sends you to kill the dragon (you get the sword either way, you just get more stuff and xp for waiting)
It's a two handed sword, if you aren't specced into that already you should get at least two more profs by the time you get to it.

I've played SoA so many times but never knew about the paladin order sending you on that quest. I really should do a playthrough where I don't powergame all the bosses ASAP.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kalam posted:

I've played SoA so many times but never knew about the paladin order sending you on that quest. I really should do a playthrough where I don't powergame all the bosses ASAP.

IIRC the Paladin order will only send you on that quest if you're a Paladin or otherwise have access to their stronghold

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The slavers are signposted too iirc. You're only able to go to the slums, you're meet immediately by the thief dude, and he tells you to check out the inn and talk to the innkeeper

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bike tory posted:

The slavers are signposted too iirc. You're only able to go to the slums, you're meet immediately by the thief dude, and he tells you to check out the inn and talk to the innkeeper

Sorta. The slaver quest kinda requires you to take some non-obvious dialogue options that a Good leaning player might not take on principle.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, I guess that's a good point, I do the slavers in the 'wrong' order because it feels more straightforward that way. I did remember that the guard at the Promenade talks to you about the tent, but he's not necessarily on the path the player takes for the first time. But if anyone's played BG1 I guess they'll look into every drat door :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, I guess that's a good point, I do the slavers in the 'wrong' order because it feels more straightforward that way. I did remember that the guard at the Promenade talks to you about it, but he's not necessarily on the path the player takes for the first time. But if anyone's played BG1 I guess they'll look into every drat door :v:

Yeah that happened to me the first time playing. Nothing more likely to make a player want to explore a house then finding traps inside it, there's gotta be something valuable worth protecting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If you play as a Blackguard paladin, do you still get the Paladin stronghold

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you play as a Blackguard paladin, do you still get the Paladin stronghold

Apparently no. Same with Shaman, which is dumb because they could've just flagged the fighter stronghold as valid for the Blackguard. Not letting the Shaman get the druid stronghold also seemed weird.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I am 100% certain even without googling that there is a mod that addresses this.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There's a pretty good Shaman stronghold mod.

I don't know if there's a mod for Blackguards but yeah, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Blackguards get the Fighter stronghold I'm pretty sure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Apparently no. Same with Shaman, which is dumb because they could've just flagged the fighter stronghold as valid for the Blackguard. Not letting the Shaman get the druid stronghold also seemed weird.

That sucks for a first time player, but if I'm planning any sort of run I can't imagine using the tweak pack to make sure I can get whatever stronghold I want.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I always felt that the slaver questline ends on a bit of a dull note, I really wanted to take it that much further.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Vichan posted:

I always felt that the slaver questline ends on a bit of a dull note, I really wanted to take it that much further.
You kind of can although it's not fully documented.
If you take down Isaea Roenall, the compound in the Temple District and the Twisted Rune you've probably killed most if not all of the major slavers in Athkatla.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SoggyBobcat posted:

Blackguards get the Fighter stronghold I'm pretty sure.

They do, it's a default for everyone in that class group

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the EET installer still run by a crazy person

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Probably? EE existing gets rid of like 99% of the reasons you'd want to mess with that bullshit anyways.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise but I haven't gazed into that particular abyss for a while.

Skwirl posted:

Probably? EE existing gets rid of like 99% of the reasons you'd want to mess with that bullshit anyways.

It's still the closest the IE games have to a mod manager and there's nothing requiring you to actually install the trilogy mod, much less any crazy person mods. You just have to be selective about what you install.

As for the trilogy itself, it's unnecessary, sure, but I kind of like not having to deal with importing characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm just genuinely curious what huge mod load out people use where a mod manager would actually be useful.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'm just genuinely curious what huge mod load out people use where a mod manager would actually be useful.

Tbh from my experience it's common for mods to clash with one another (e.g., with lines of text getting replaced randomly by other lines). Not sure how well a mod manager would alleviate this though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kalam posted:

Tbh from my experience it's common for mods to clash with one another (e.g., with lines of text getting replaced randomly by other lines). Not sure how well a mod manager would alleviate this though.

My understanding is that EET doesn't do anything to alleviate that, it just streamlines the process of installing and uninstalling mods, but they sall still do the normal WEIDU process.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Yes but I just used it to install a megamod installation of EET (minus her special Sandrah Saga Mary Sue mod) and it worked great. So I guess I recommend it? Your other option is to download all the mods you want manually and use Project Infinity to install them. But if you want a Big World Project style “pick mods off a menu and then they automatically install” then EET mod installer is your only choice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, but why install a giant mod pack? This isn't Skyrim.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Ok
Mustard jelly: 1
Shadow dragon: 0

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's handy for installing the basic patches, tweaks and difficulty mods (if you're into that) all in one go. I'll usually throw in a random quest mod and npc mod. Sometimes I don't even regret it!

I also don't expect a mod manager to be run by a sane person, it's a thankless task. Heck, most modders are kinda crazy - I'm pretty sure the sane ones move on to work in game dev.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I mostly like it because it lets me add the five options I want from three separate tweaks mods with little muss or fuss, and also because sometimes I install a really bad quest mod by mistake and that is funny to me.

Someday I'm gonna succumb to morbid curiosity, do a full Sandrah Saga install with all the trimmings, and then immediately die.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

docbeard posted:

Yeah I mostly like it because it lets me add the five options I want from three separate tweaks mods with little muss or fuss, and also because sometimes I install a really bad quest mod by mistake and that is funny to me.

Someday I'm gonna succumb to morbid curiosity, do a full Sandrah Saga install with all the trimmings, and then immediately die.

I'll be honest I would read a Sandrah Saga LP due to morbid curiosity. And then probably also die.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Ok
Mustard jelly: 1
Shadow dragon: 0

How long?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but why install a giant mod pack? This isn't Skyrim.

That only means the mods are less horny

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Cantorsdust posted:

I'll be honest I would read a Sandrah Saga LP due to morbid curiosity. And then probably also die.

If the 'larger world map' didn't continually bug out on me no matter what I do I probably would've succumbed already.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goblin week posted:

That only means the mods are less horny

Clearly you've never played Romantic Encounters.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Suspicious posted:

What "tactical" mods do is remove options that work, forcing you into (usually) one specific path to victory. Like (ab)using Carsomyr in every fight.

Not every party should be minmaxed, not every random fight needs to be balls hard and take an hour to complete. It's ok for gnolls to just be gnolls.

Has anyone ever made a "tougher xvart village" component where the xvarts put up a crazy tough fight? That would be awesome, I always feel bad wiping that place out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Has anyone ever made a "tougher xvart village" component where the xvarts put up a crazy tough fight? That would be awesome, I always feel bad wiping that place out.

SCS buffs them a bit I think, adds some spellcasters and such, but that just makes it an actual speedbump rather than just a line painted on the pavement.

Nothing actually makes you fight them, of course.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

docbeard posted:

Nothing actually makes you fight them, of course.

If you’re a completionist like me and must remove the fog of war on every single map, then you have to slaughter them all and their poor bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The xvarts have been raiding nearby farms and ranches. They ain't innocent.