Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Glumslinger posted:

Too bad the Golden Gate Bridge wasn't singing today to complete the cyberpunk dystopia

queue up all the old movies that talked about a post-apocalyptic San Francisco IN THE YEAR 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

It felt like I pulled an all nighter for the entire day, despite getting a reasonable amount of sleep the night before.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think the weirdest part of this whole thing for me during mid-day is that during a stormy or overcast day, you have blue light as darkness. However right now you have orange light as darkness, so blue lights such as interior store lights and headlights contrast so much more with the ambient lighting. It feels legitimately post-apocalyptic, and the visual change you go through exiting a building with cool light into red/orange hell world is staggering.

I've been trying to take photos to show my family in Chicago and my phone just cannot do justice how surreal it all feels.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I downloaded "open camera" on android because the normal camera app makes everything look normal and blue. I was about to get some decent hellscape video out of that.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Sydin posted:

I think the weirdest part of this whole thing for me during mid-day is that during a stormy or overcast day, you have blue light as darkness. However right now you have orange light as darkness, so blue lights such as interior store lights and headlights contrast so much more with the ambient lighting. It feels legitimately post-apocalyptic, and the visual change you go through exiting a building with cool light into red/orange hell world is staggering.

I've been trying to take photos to show my family in Chicago and my phone just cannot do justice how surreal it all feels.

Change all indoor lighting to neon tubes imo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

amethystbliss posted:

It felt like I pulled an all nighter for the entire day, despite getting a reasonable amount of sleep the night before.

yeah it was like my body kept subconsciously telling me "its sunset ur tired go home" but it was only 1pm or whatever lol. didn't help that i didn't get much sleep the night before

today the air is even worse, though its less dark and orange

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

One of my employees was asleep in his car till 12:00 *3 hrs late to work, because he thought "Man its still dark ive got time" and didnt wake up for hours

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

yeah its weird when even the shadows are orange lol

i noticed that about the headlights too

Rah! fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 10, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rah! posted:

yeah it was like my body kept subconsciously telling me "its sunset ur tired go home" but it was only 1pm or whatever lol. didn't help that i didn't get much sleep the night before

today the air is even worse, though its less dark and orange

Same, I generally only get tired like that during deep winter months, my brain was just saying, the suns down, time to go to sleep

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Kept thinking I was wearing my Rx sunglasses by accident and compulsively checked to make sure like 5 times yesterday it was so unnaturally dim.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One of my employees was asleep in his car till 12:00 *3 hrs late to work, because he thought "Man its still dark ive got time" and didnt wake up for hours

loving lol, what a maroon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Consider paying your employee more so they don't have to sleep in their car and can afford an alarm clock.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I hope I don't get probated for this but live in NYC and no one really gives a poo poo about this here so I wanted to share with some of my fellow Californians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_m9TUP_t_Y

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its not quite the same cheeto orange that it was yesterday, but its still a pretty unnatural color today

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Today it's down in your lungs instead of up in the sky. Last night as I went to sleep I realized that the memory was already fading; it became "that day the sky was orange" instead of OMG the birds aren't singing it is the genuine apocalypse now.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Today it's down in your lungs instead of up in the sky

:abuela: u can't breathe in ash if u can't breathe :smugdon:

*builds 88 more oil pipelines and piss refineries*

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It mostly looks like high gray winter clouds in Sac as long as you don't look at the sun, only warmer and a tad muggy. So far the smoke seems more aloft than on the ground.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

It mostly looks like high gray winter clouds in Sac as long as you don't look at the sun, only warmer and a tad muggy. So far the smoke seems more aloft than on the ground.

Thankfully. My pool is no longer an ashy crater, and I actually was able to go on a run this morning.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
People on my nextdoor are all pissed about prop 15, but they are all boomers. gently caress em.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Aeka 2.0 posted:

People on my nextdoor are all pissed about prop 15, but they are all boomers. gently caress em.

I mean the capitalization rates on some commercial real estate buildings in Los Angeles are around 2-3%. Any increase in the tax rate is going to make things really dicey. I have gone through buildings in places like Cudahy where the cap rates were sub-4%. It's pretty absurd.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Enigma89 posted:

I mean the capitalization rates on some commercial real estate buildings in Los Angeles are around 2-3%. Any increase in the tax rate is going to make things really dicey. I have gone through buildings in places like Cudahy where the cap rates were sub-4%. It's pretty absurd.

Smaller property owners (less than $3 million) are excluded. Business equipment is given a $500,000 exemption. Residential and agricultural assessments are not affected. Changes to be phased in gradually, per Pete Rates.

If they're whining on Nextdoor they are either stupid or rich and/or stupid

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

Smaller property owners (less than $3 million) are excluded. Business equipment is given a $500,000 exemption. Residential and agricultural assessments are not affected. Changes to be phased in gradually, per Pete Rates.

The loony left is going to force my grandma to sell her lucrative commercial real estate without any consideration for how this affects her investment portfolio.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

I hope I don't get probated for this but live in NYC and no one really gives a poo poo about this here so I wanted to share with some of my fellow Californians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_m9TUP_t_Y

Lol we've been able to have this exact joke created for two wholely separate situations in two months.

https://twitter.com/Mach_Dent/status/1279676293148221441 

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Congress Created Profit Crisis!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Congress Created Profit Crisis!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The loony left is going to force my grandma to sell her lucrative commercial real estate without any consideration for how this affects her investment portfolio.

my nextdoor was just claiming this was a "backdoor" to get residential property rates hiked and they believed all the lawmakers had to do was cross out "commercial property" and pencil in "all property" after it was passed by voters

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FCKGW posted:

my nextdoor was just claiming this was a "backdoor" to get residential property rates hiked and they believed all the lawmakers had to do was cross out "commercial property" and pencil in "all property" after it was passed by voters

One Weird Trick: over-leveraged Boomers hate it!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Jaxyon posted:

I know $3,000,000 sounds like a lot but it's really not in terms of commercial real estate. Before I go any further on this, I know I am a bit of a black sheep here because I am a bit more conservative than the most of you. With that said, my full opinion on the real estate related props haven't been totally formed. Initially I was for them but after going through them in a bit more detail I am sort of waning. I should also say that I used to work in finance for commercial real estate for a while so I do have some experience in the field. I left the industry because of how hosed up it is.

Just for a point of reference, 3MM willl get you a 9 unit in Inglewood (see here or a 6 unit in venice (here).

You can see in the Venice listing that one of the sales conditions is a 1031 exchange. Basically, this lets you sell a building and then take that money and buy another (bigger) building and not pay any capital gains taxes. People are using FHA loans in California on 4-unit buildings (not commercial) and then trading up with a 1031 exchange and doing it over and over again.

The capitalization rate is net income from the property divided by the price. If we are already at a 2% capitalization rate then the buildings already don't make financial sense to invest in. The only reason people are is everyone is flipping them and trading up.

I don't know what happens when the game of musical chairs stops. Not that I think that the game is any good and should be played but it's just been something that has been on my mind. On one hand, it's hosed up that this is even happening. Maybe the focus should be on the 1031 exchanges. On the other hand it's hard for middle class people to generate any real wealth. Real estate in California is one of those things that is still possible for a family that saves their money and the FHA to the later 1031 exchanges gives a clear path to do that.

I personally was starting to think of buying a multi-unit building in California but these props have scared me enough where I am holding off.

Maybe someone knows more than I do on this but that is sort of where my mind is at on this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Enigma89 posted:

I know $3,000,000 sounds like a lot but it's really not in terms of commercial real estate. Before I go any further on this, I know I am a bit of a black sheep here because I am a bit more conservative than the most of you. With that said, my full opinion on the real estate related props haven't been totally formed. Initially I was for them but after going through them in a bit more detail I am sort of waning. I should also say that I used to work in finance for commercial real estate for a while so I do have some experience in the field. I left the industry because of how hosed up it is.

Just for a point of reference, 3MM willl get you a 9 unit in Inglewood (see here or a 6 unit in venice (here).

You can see in the Venice listing that one of the sales conditions is a 1031 exchange. Basically, this lets you sell a building and then take that money and buy another (bigger) building and not pay any capital gains taxes. People are using FHA loans in California on 4-unit buildings (not commercial) and then trading up with a 1031 exchange and doing it over and over again.

The capitalization rate is net income from the property divided by the price. If we are already at a 2% capitalization rate then the buildings already don't make financial sense to invest in. The only reason people are is everyone is flipping them and trading up.

I don't know what happens when the game of musical chairs stops. Not that I think that the game is any good and should be played but it's just been something that has been on my mind. On one hand, it's hosed up that this is even happening. Maybe the focus should be on the 1031 exchanges. On the other hand it's hard for middle class people to generate any real wealth. Real estate in California is one of those things that is still possible for a family that saves their money and the FHA to the later 1031 exchanges gives a clear path to do that.

I personally was starting to think of buying a multi-unit building in California but these props have scared me enough where I am holding off.

Maybe someone knows more than I do on this but that is sort of where my mind is at on this.

You're a "black sheep" here because you have bad opinions, not conservative ones(though not much difference) and if a black sheep got shot by the cops in the back 7 times you'd defend the cops.

The idea of paying a reasonable tax on an investment is scaring you? Good. That's the point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taxes that take a small slice out of the accumulation of wealth, do not in any way reduce either the incentives or the abilities to accumulate that wealth.

Also, anything that reduces the degree of speculation affecting residential real estate markets is good. Speculation on homes is bad for everyone who has to live in homes and only benefits speculators and the middlemen who extract money from speculative activity.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

If your criticism of the prop is that it will stop people from speculating and perpetually driving up real estate prices... that's a good thing?

I understand that the avenues for middle class families (insomuch as the middle class even exists anymore) to grow wealth are limited, but that should be addressed via increasing wages and providing free education, not by maintaining tax code loopholes that the occasional edge case middle class household can exploit to join the ranks of the nouveau riche. And that's presuming you even believe that growing wealth is an admirable goal (I obviously do not and want society to move away from such structures).

And let's be honest: how often is it a plucky upper middle class family buying these to escape the burden of being in the top 20%, and how often is it a multimillion or even multibillion dollar real estate concern swapping properties around to make their accounts look better? I have sympathy for neither but I have complete and utter contempt for the latter.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Enigma literally making the argument that the Prop is good and effective.

Conservatives just never become self aware huh

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think you meant exclusive either/or here, because the only logical outcome from that statement would be that they're rich and not dumb! You probably meant inclusive "or": they're just rich or dumb. Your welcome :goonsay:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 10, 2020

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If your criticism of the prop is that it will stop people from speculating and perpetually driving up real estate prices... that's a good thing?

I understand that the avenues for middle class families (insomuch as the middle class even exists anymore) to grow wealth are limited, but that should be addressed via increasing wages and providing free education, not by maintaining tax code loopholes that the occasional edge case middle class household can exploit to join the ranks of the nouveau riche. And that's presuming you even believe that growing wealth is an admirable goal (I obviously do not and want society to move away from such structures).

And let's be honest: how often is it a plucky upper middle class family buying these to escape the burden of being in the top 20%, and how often is it a multimillion or even multibillion dollar real estate concern swapping properties around to make their accounts look better? I have sympathy for neither but I have complete and utter contempt for the latter.

It's a good thing but what I find myself thinking about is the interim. For those that did pay for education, for those that are invested and what happens when the cap rates get compressed even further. They are hosed.

In general, I really do think that there should be a lot of focus on zoning and on the 1031 exchanges.

A lot of buildings and I mean a lot in California are at their highest and best use.They could be 50 year old buildings. The zoning has been updated and has reduced density and increased parking requirements. So a lot could be zoned for a total of 4 units and require 4 parking spaces, it could currently have 8 units and 2 parking spots. The smartest move for that owner of that lot is to never tear down and start over, the building makes more money now than it would under the current zoning.

I am not sure what the answer is but there housing stock is artificially depressed in California because there is an economic incentive to not tear down old units.

Jaxyon posted:

Conservatives just never become self aware huh

I never said I was against it. I just know that I am not actively looking anymore to buy in California because of these props.

It just seems like a limp dick prop in comparison to some other things I have in mind albeit I am not sure what the solution is.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 10, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jaxyon posted:

Enigma trolls pretty well, at least in terms of derailing things with utter idiocy.

Case in point:

Enigma89 posted:

I hope I don't get probated for this but live in NYC and
The Neurotic NYC: Fire in the skies!

The Chill Calibro: lol shadows be orange today

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Enigma89 posted:

It's a good thing but what I find myself thinking about is the interim. For those that did pay for education, for those that are invested and what happens when the cap rates get compressed even further. They are hosed.
If the tax rate on the commercial property they bought in 2010 is frozen at the 2010 valuation, then they aren't paying for education. Education (for instance) gets more expensive every year, but the tax rate (as well as the tax valuation) isn't allowed to increase because property owners.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Zoning and building codes and a whole host of other stuff does need to be addressed, but this prop is targeted at addressing one specific issue - that commercial real estate has been getting a sweetheart deal that has largely benefited huge corporate interests for four decades.

I'm sure it will cause some short-term problems, but that's because the original prop created an untenable situation, which is ultimately an argument for repealing ASAP before it gets any worse.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
lol the tax rate in most of New York State is like 2% and assessed at market value anually

"I am no longer looking to speculate as a rich person in a real estate market that's 3000 miles away thanks to this prop that is literally designed to stop that poo poo"

I agree, we should go full Prop 13 repeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It appears we have already bullied this ghoul out of the state, can we bully him out of the thread as well?