Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LifeSunDeath posted:

MD20/20 mayo, seriously

I would eat the first one, I would not eat the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Those are the beans that old dude is thinking about

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

McSpergin posted:

Thos are the beans that old dude;s thinking about

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Grand Fromage posted:

Whole country, even. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastitsio

(Cincinnati chili is just this, the Greek dude who started selling it called it "chili" because he's Greek and it was the 20s or whatever)

I've never had Cincinnati chili but there's an Egyptian place near me that does a fantastic Pastitsio. It's seriously loving delicious and the portion they give you is 2 meals worth for super cheap. I've eaten it cold the next day it's that good.

It it really the same sort of spices in the meat? Because if it is then I don't understand why the hell Cincinnati chili isn't more popular. Pastitsio is good as hell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

empty sea posted:

I've never had Cincinnati chili but there's an Egyptian place near me that does a fantastic Pastitsio. It's seriously loving delicious and the portion they give you is 2 meals worth for super cheap. I've eaten it cold the next day it's that good.

It it really the same sort of spices in the meat? Because if it is then I don't understand why the hell Cincinnati chili isn't more popular. Pastitsio is good as hell.

It's not exactly the same but it's close. I haven't been to Greece, but I've had pastitsio at a couple Greek restaurants and it was very familiar.

I don't know why goons are so caught up in the word chili itself and can't comprehend the idea of a meat sauce on pasta, but whatever. Skyline coney dogs are superior to the pasta version anyway.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

there's also the thing where they bury it in a mountain of cheddar cheese. is that part of the usual greek preparation?

EDIT: vvv yeah, see, I think I'd like it fine without the mountain of shredded cheese

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Sep 11, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LordSaturn posted:

there's also the thing where they bury it in a mountain of cheddar cheese. is that part of the usual greek preparation?

No, the Greek version doesn't usually have cheese. Never said the guy didn't alter it, but if you eat both they're clearly the same thing. American pizza isn't much like what you get in Italy but it's still pizza.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not that its a meat sauce, its that irs from the midwest and therefore its structurally impossible for it to be good food

i would eat chili spaghetti from a land that believed in spices, sure

augias
Apr 7, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its not that its a meat sauce, its that irs from the midwest and therefore its structurally impossible for it to be good food

i would eat chili spaghetti from a land that believed in spices, sure

i had it, its good because it uses interesting spices. Also the midwest snipe is rude. Youre rude. Up you'res

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh no, rudeness in talking about disgustin food in the thread for talkin about disgusting food

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know why goons are so caught up in the word chili itself and can't comprehend the idea of a meat sauce on pasta, but whatever. Skyline coney dogs are superior to the pasta version anyway.

I think it's something about protecting cultural identity, because it's one of those dishes that people will have specific cultural context involving their family or their community, and if you feel a cultural ownership over a food, or feel like you know the culture that has cultural ownership over the food very well, you'll get very angry after the people who are doing it wrong.

And it all comes out weird because Americans aren't used to thinking that we even have a culture in the first place because we don't often end up defining ourselves in contrast to other cultures.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

oh no, rudeness in talking about disgustin food in the thread for talkin about disgusting food

Nah, you're just an aggressive weirdo being weird about regional prejudices.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not exactly the same but it's close. I haven't been to Greece, but I've had pastitsio at a couple Greek restaurants and it was very familiar.

The fries are choice too. Dog and fries is my go to the few times a year I hit up Skyline. The spaghet is just a trap for fools.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Grand Fromage posted:

No, the Greek version doesn't usually have cheese. Never said the guy didn't alter it, but if you eat both they're clearly the same thing. American pizza isn't much like what you get in Italy but it's still pizza.

Italy has the AVPN, though, so the Americans win at having the original, correct pizza by default.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Texas has cultural ownership of chili and Ohio must rename their dish to skyline pastitsio toute suite.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm Texan and I'm intrigued by skyline chili spaghetti, or more specifically the giant pile of cheese on top of it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sonic calls its chili cheese dogs "coneys" in a weird attempt to capitalize on Skyline's attempt to capitalize on Coney Island's corner on the hot dog market in the 1900s

They aren't nearly the same thing but I just love the hot dog narrative this poo poo is perpetuating

(Sonic also makes the most authentic chain Chicago dogs outside actual Portillo's)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Data Graham posted:

(Sonic also makes the most authentic chain Chicago dogs outside actual Portillo's)

Yep. Not bad for fast food. The only issue is the dog itself really and its acceptably close enough.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

Sonic calls its chili cheese dogs "coneys" in a weird attempt to capitalize on Skyline's attempt to capitalize on Coney Island's corner on the hot dog market in the 1900s

They aren't nearly the same thing but I just love the hot dog narrative this poo poo is perpetuating

How dare a midwestern fast food chain take a name from a type of midwestern greek restaurant.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait are we calling Skyline a greek restaurant now

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

well if we're gonna get real lovely, then i'll come out and say if your seafood isn't from the atlantic northeast, it's not worth eating.

suck it, california.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait are we calling Skyline a greek restaurant now
Yes. Cincinnati chili is a greek tomato & meat sauce. Coney dogs are named for Coney Islands, a type of greek diner throughout the midwest that would sell hotdogs with tomato & meat sauce. Among other things these caused hot dogs to be called coneys in the midwest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

E: ^^ I was missing the Coney Islands diner connection in the narrative, that just enriches the story like a fine meat sauce

Marx Was A Lib posted:

well if we're gonna get real lovely, then i'll come out and say if your seafood isn't from the atlantic northeast, it's just sparkling fish.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't really see how a greek sauce a greek restaurant makes, given the entire menu. By that logic roughly 80% of Texas-based restaurants are tex-mex/barbecue hybrid joints.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't really see how a greek sauce a greek restaurant makes, given the entire menu. By that logic roughly 80% of Texas-based restaurants are tex-mex/barbecue hybrid joints.
Well why wouldn't they be tex-mex or barbecue if they serve tex-mex or barbecue.

This wouldn't even be a debate if there wasn't the Greeklish mix up that meat sauce is called chili in American. Name a more American-Mediterranean fusion type of food than pasta with tomato sauce.

Argument tax crosspost

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have to have someone's uncle stuff it into your face as fast as possible?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have to have someone's uncle stuff it into your face as fast as possible?

The only way to ensure dumdums dont burn themselves i suppose.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

well if we're gonna get real lovely, then i'll come out and say if your seafood isn't from the atlantic northeast, it's not worth eating.

suck it, california.

We are, don't worry.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Had paan, didn't really like it much.

I think it was some sort of stick thing jamming into my jaw that ruined it for me, the flavour was alright but a bit numbing?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Coney Island the hot-dog chain was inspired by the kosher hot dogs served at Coney Island in New York. So you have a midwestern Greek/Albanian thing inspired by a New York Polish Jewish thing and a Mexican thing, scooped up by an Oklahoma drive-in thing that went national, which originally made its bones on root beer, a Native beverage adapted by English settlers.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Sep 12, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

male squirt literal sausage compilation

this is totally real

its not pee

its squirt

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

im the extremely well hung hamburger on the bottom

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've had exactly one Chicago dog in my life and I've just been chasing that salty high ever since.

And you're telling me I could've been getting them from Sonic??

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

empty sea posted:

I've had exactly one Chicago dog in my life and I've just been chasing that salty high ever since.

Yep. Don't let your expectations run wild though.

I really wish a Portillos was in my area. :love:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

empty sea posted:

Just FYI I haven't seen Chicago dogs at Sonic this year. I also don't see them on the menu on their website. However, you aren't missing much since the dog quality at sonic is not great. You can make your own at home; the only hard to get ingredient is the sport peppers which I've seen at World Market or on Amazon.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

From the GIF thread:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whooping Crabs posted:

Just FYI I haven't seen Chicago dogs at Sonic this year. I also don't see them on the menu on their website. However, you aren't missing much since the dog quality at sonic is not great. You can make your own at home; the only hard to get ingredient is the sport peppers which I've seen at World Market or on Amazon.

My biggest issue is the poppyseed buns. Try as I might I can’t find a good way to source them, locally or by mail.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

My biggest issue is the poppyseed buns. Try as I might I can’t find a good way to source them, locally or by mail.

Just drop a regular bun on the ground a few times

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm pulling the lever, where's my pineapple?