Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
How can you tell if the resin is ready to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
It's like baking cookies, they rise

Edit: to not be fully empty post I am 90% done this LT I forgot to post - I am scared to finally try the inkjet decal paper I bought, need to do a belt color and pick out the text on scrolls etc also purple gang represent

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 11, 2020

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I cannot attach for the life of me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Has anyone used Chaosorc lately? What was your turn around time like? I put an order in on Saturday, got a random $10 refund from the shop and then haven’t heard anything since then.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I order from chaos orc once or twice a month. I never get shipment notifications or tracking or anything, but I always get my stuff within a week.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

All I needed to hear, thanks. Was my first time ordering so I didn’t know what to expect.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Finally got around to finishing all my Skorpekh Destroyers and HQ with basing finally. Waiting for the new codex drop to see if all the Indomitus models are going to be trash or treasures and please let the resurrection rules finally be redone.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That's a beautiful grey. Have you posted the instructions on how to do that somewhere?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That looks like Apothecary White over Grey Seer and some edge highlighting to me, but it looks really good.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Maneck posted:

That's a beautiful grey. Have you posted the instructions on how to do that somewhere?
Cheers my dude, all my schemes are based on making something repeatable easily with scale and simple as possible

- Airbrush black
- Airbrush light grey with shading from top down, couple of light layers will make it white
- Seal with matte varnish (important for allowing contrast paints to runs smoothly over the base colour)
- Contrast white over entire model
- Drybrush White
- Blades are Technical Tesseract Glow, one thick coat over the bright white basecoat.
- Black is Contrast Templar Black

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Those are fantastic, and were inspiration for me to do a lot of the same, but with orange instead. I only have the HQ and the Skopeths left, so I need to learn power weapon painting here pdq.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I went to pick up Astorath on the GW store (OOS) but noticed:

GW posted:

is supplied with a 25mm round base

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Blood-Angels-Astorath-the-Grim?_requestid=21669105

Seriously? Still 25mm? I can't imagine that being very steady on the small base and compared to like a tac marine on 32mm won't that look weird

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

overthefalls posted:

Those are fantastic, and were inspiration for me to do a lot of the same, but with orange instead. I only have the HQ and the Skopeths left, so I need to learn power weapon painting here pdq.

Oh man, I was torn between the white base with either Blue, Orange or the Green. The Tesseract Glow paint came out so it sold me on the green, but the Orange done the same way would be brutal awesome!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I went to pick up Astorath on the GW store (OOS) but noticed:

I've seen some amazing Astorath kitbashes using the new Judiciar model, with some wings and a weapon+head swap you end up with something that looks way more modern and a lot less goofy.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
What's the deal with 9th edition right now? I know indomitus came out a bit ago, but it doesn't look like the OP got updated. Is there a good tl;dr out there for what the changes are to 9th?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Going to play my first 9th edition game tomorrow and my first time since 5th edition. I have been painting my sister's during covid and I am super excited. We decided to first do a 25 pl crusade game and then try a 50 pl crusade. I will be playing my sister's as OML because it's narrative and my opponent will be bringing blood ravens :) Was looking at PL and my 50pl list is over 1000 points but if I was to bring a named caracther ( Junith) it would add 7 pl but she is 115 in points. Not sure if it's good or bad? Some armies like UM probably is not super good at PL games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

- Contrast white over entire model

I'm guessing this is Apothecary White?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

redpleb posted:

What's the deal with 9th edition right now? I know indomitus came out a bit ago, but it doesn't look like the OP got updated. Is there a good tl;dr out there for what the changes are to 9th?

You no longer gain CP for bringing multiple detachments but rather spend CP on additional detachments.

Every type of terrain has a ton of rules associated with it now, and no one really knows how much terrain is adequate for games.

Additions and subtractions to rolls do not stack; you can't have more than +1 or -1 to hit and such.

Umm... That's everything I can think of off the top of my head that's changed since 8th. There were changes to the Charge/Fight phase, but I forget what :)

woops, accidentally replied again instead of editing my last post

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
When you declare charges you need to specify all that you are charging and if you fail one of them you fail all.
In the fight phase after charges/ fight first the opponent starts and then it's alternating. Can still interrupt but that costs CP.
Also for failed leadership rolls you now roll for all models in the unit. On a 1 they run or on a 2 if they are under 1/2 their original strenght.
Biggest change is actually terrain but I won't go in to that :)
Remembered lots of others.
Engagement range is 1 inch horizontal and 5 vertical. When you fight you need to be 1/2 inch of a model within 1 inch of the enemy. Can't fall back and shoot with flying models. Look out Sir rule changed so if you are the closest model you can be targeted or if you don't have 3 models close (3 inch) or one 10 wound one. Lots of small things .
Forgot, overwatch cost CP except for Tau! That's a nice change :)

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 11, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
can't believe you forgot VEHICLES AND MONSTERS SHOOTING IN MELEE

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

peer posted:

can't believe you forgot VEHICLES AND MONSTERS SHOOTING IN MELEE

Or that vehicles and monsters don't get -1 for moving and shooting :)

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Sab669 posted:

I'm guessing this is Apothecary White?

Yup that’s the one, I was suss on in it at first but it’s great for giving shades to whites

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Had an outdoors and PPE clad game against a friend last weekend, my Thousand Sons/Daemons of Tzeentch vs his Daemons of Slaanesh at 2000 points.

It was close but I lost 59-64 in the end due to having a turn where all of my objectives were contested, but we both agreed had there been a turn 6 I would’ve tabled him. I can’t say how competitive it is at a tournament level but TS/DoT has been an amazingly fun and effective combo for me so far.

I’d wanted to try an idea for a while which basically revolved around my Defiler being supported by a gang of three Helbrutes with a Maulerfiend as a distraction Carnifex. Haven’t got the Helbrutes yet so these got proxied (the purple Daemon Prince in the images is one of them).

Sadly the Maulerfiend got taken out by a Keeper of Secrets before it got to do anything. One Helbrute also got taken out by the other Keeper of Secrets before it got to do anything, and the second Helbrute was also taken out by the same Keeper that got the Maulerfiend, but at least managed to do some serious damage before being destroyed. The third Helbrute did a great job intercepting and engaging anything trying to outflank the Defiler and was still fighting when the game ended.

The real star of the show was the Defiler, which engaged and destroyed both Keeper of Secrets, and nearly completely destroyed a squad of 20 Seekers that rushed it near the end of the game.

”Come on then all of ya, slags! All together or one at a time I don't care, it's all to the same to me!” - The Defiler, probably.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Every type of terrain has a ton of rules associated with it now, and no one really knows how much terrain is adequate for games.

I think that there should be enough line of sight breaking and/or obscuring so that you can hide an entire army during deployment if you want to.

Being able to hide an entire army is much less of a problem in 9th since you won’t really score any points that way. Good terrain in 9th is much simpler than in 8, because in 8th you had to take into account the relative balance of shooting and melee etc. In 9th it’s basically just ‘as much as you can fit in there, while knight models can still move around and get to objectives etc.’. No, but seriously big line of sight blocker in the middle (just like it was necessary to do for a good game in 8th) and enough terrain that both played can hide everything in deployment if they want.

E: I like obscuring (ruins essentially) more in general than just big los blockers, since it’s makes it more interactive with seeing through it and infantry climbing/breaching.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 11, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I played my first couple of games at the weekend and the biggest change for me from 8th was how loving important paying attention to the objectives (primary and secondary) are, and selecting the right secondaries can absolutely flip the game. I nearly tabled my opponent and thought I was doing well, but he was able to camp the objectives and snipe my characters and won by a poo poo ton of points.

The terrain changes are good but are largely what people were playing anyway except now they're written down and formalised. I can't say I noticed the detachment/CP changes too much although if/when I play a game of Orks that may change.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah with the objective thing even if you take all "kill stuff" objectives, if you're not contesting the primaries it can be really hard to score high. Your opponent on the flip side can take not a single "kill stuff" Objective and score more than you even though their entire army dies. I much prefer it this way, I have a friend who complains tabling your opponent should mean victory but it doesn't add to good gameplay and it doesn't make it more narrative (as your "win" could be everyone sacrificed themselves but it slowed down the enemy advance sufficiently, rescued the mcguffin etc).

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
If you like to table your opponents play Iron Hands or Knights or whatever but that doesn't mean you win :) ( I say with extremely limited 9th edition knowledge- only TTS)

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

If you like to table your opponents play Iron Hands or Knights or whatever but that doesn't mean you win :) ( I say with extremely limited 9th edition knowledge- only TTS)

Was coming to ask how knights are in 9th? Also how 9th has been going for people in general. Have not played a 40k game in a while.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Was coming to ask how knights are in 9th? Also how 9th has been going for people in general. Have not played a 40k game in a while.

Mono Knights is pretty bad. They can't really take objectives and hold them very well, and they give away a lot of secondary objectives. A Knight souped into another list can do fairly well though, it has become more expensive in terms of CP cost to do that though.

Honestly my opinion of 9th so far is that the core rule set is great. If we imagined that all the codices were perfectly balanced and fun, the 9th Ed rules are the best I've played (I started in 3rd or 4th ed, skipped 5 and 6, started again in 8th).

The main gripes I've got with 40K right now is the balance between the codices. Space marines are very, very good and don't really show any signs of slowing down. If you're not playing a space marine army of some kind, you're very limited to the lists you can run to be competitive in a tournament setting. Where other armies do well, it's usually exploiting a couple of key units or interactions which means there's not a lot of variation.

That said, Death Guard is giving Space Marines a big run for their money because of how tough their troops are.

If you're more of a narrative player, then the crusade rules are really cool, but my friends and I basically had to house rule a bunch of stuff to make it work well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kitchner posted:

That said, Death Guard is giving Space Marines a big run for their money because of how tough their troops are.

Can't wait for 2W Plague Marines / 3W Blightlord Terminators :dance: :toxx: and also to assemble my stuff and maybe play again

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 11, 2020

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Sweet thanks for the reply. I mainly try to play competitive focused lists. I don't mind souping knights. I've seen the space marines steam roller. I saw a similar thing in early AOS 2.0 where the new codex armies just outshine the old codex armies. I'm guessing 9th will be the same for the first year or so. The lesson I learned over there was don't wait for your favorite armies codex because it could be last and just to pick up something with a codex to hold you over and have fun. Following my own advice I might paint some space marines or sisters. I know sisters technically don't have a book but they are darn cool.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Sweet thanks for the reply. I mainly try to play competitive focused lists. I don't mind souping knights. I've seen the space marines steam roller. I saw a similar thing in early AOS 2.0 where the new codex armies just outshine the old codex armies. I'm guessing 9th will be the same for the first year or so. The lesson I learned over there was don't wait for your favorite armies codex because it could be last and just to pick up something with a codex to hold you over and have fun. Following my own advice I might paint some space marines or sisters. I know sisters technically don't have a book but they are darn cool.
Sisters have the latest codex. I play mono sisters and they are one of the best armies of early 9th.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Sisters it is. Will paint up a test model this weekend but I like the bloody rose color scheme. I also like the box art variant Martyred Lady, I think? Any sample lists that do generally good things or key units that are must includes?

Usenet Magic-User fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 11, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Sisters it is. Will paint up a test model this weekend but I like the bloody rose color scheme. I also like the box art variant Martyred Lady, I think? Any sample lists that do generally good things or key units that are must includes?

For Bloody Rose you want Repentias and Zephyrim and a preacher. For Martyred lady it's all about Junith Erudita but they are not as good. Go Valorous Heart or Bloody Rose for competetive games.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Repentia are pretty ace because you can outflank them now in 9th, meaning a combination of their damage output, coming on from a side table edge, and being able to guarantee a long charge with miracle dice means that you essentially create a death zone down each edge of the board where if your opponent stays in it they die.

I think the top three armies right now are probably Death Guard, Salamanders, and Harlequins, but hardly anyone plays the latter and they are hard to play so I think it's a bit of a sleeper right now.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
So did infantry-heavy Imperial Guard eat poo poo in 9th? I've not seen them mentioned a lot compared to all the fun stuff you can do with vehicles now...

Circutron fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 11, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Circutron posted:

So did infantry-heavy Imperial Guard eat poo poo in 9th? I've not seen them mentioned a lot compared to all the fun stuff you can do with vehicles now...

It's September, motherfuckers, time to break out the Leaf Blowers!

:clint:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Circutron posted:

So far it seems if you want to stand a chance with guard all or most your infantry needs to be in Chimeras to essentially give them ablative wounds. They just don't hold objectives well enough.

Edit: Exception is Bullgryn, who are great.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 11, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
They don't seem so great since it's very much about landing on an objective and holding it. IG in chimerias with Ogryn support can do it but other armies do it better. I believe that they still have some play but I think most IG players have traditional gun line armies and haven't adjusted yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm watching the TableTopTitans video of DE vs IronHands and have a tiny rules question about how obsec works:

If I have 5 tac marines and 5 devastator marines all on a point and then 5 fire warriors and 5 drones also on the point, who holds the point? Does the infantry tag factor into the equation? I hear that total number of obsec units doesn't matter, it's total models once both sides have obsec on the point.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 11, 2020