Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, you can... you can choose 120 or 90. But... you really don't want to force 60 on an HMD. That's not fast enough to be comfortable.

I guess if you can live with constant reprojection, but I find it really distracting and if consistent eventually uncomfortable.

yeah, I only have tried the Quest and I can notice the 72fps. I hope the revision is minimum 80 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Finished Alyx last night, and that was a drat good game. The atmosphere is great, especially during the moments that are basically survival horror. The combat was smooth, though whoever said up-thread that the weapons feel kind of weak was correct, I could have used a little more punch behind everything but the shotgun. Also the twist at the end was probably something I could have seen coming if I had given it any thought, but I was so involved with what was happening that it was a genuine surprise when I walked into the final room. I also applaud Valve for playing with perception and physics in the final area in the way they did, that was the type of poo poo I'd like to see more of in VR.

The only complaints I have about the game are some minor movement quirks and two instances where I had graphics/engine problems. The movement has been discussed at length (please let me jump/sprint), but the other thing that was annoying was how if you accidentally leaned into a wall your entire vision becomes orange and everything sounds like it's underwater. It can really break focus and immersion when when you lean too far when taking cover and suddenly you're in Orange Juice Hell. As for the graphics/engine issues, one time I teleported on top of something and turned my head quickly, which resulted in stutter that got worse and worse until I exited and went back in. Okay, poo poo happens, I get it. The second time was in a loading screen and suddenly the headset was blinking between the environment and a black screen, but it was doing it in alternation between eyes, which was the most disorienting thing I'd ever experienced that didn't require ingesting chemicals. Thankfully both of these were brief.

So now the question is, what's next? I've got Moss, Paper Beasts, and modding Skyrim VR. Not sure which to jump into now that the big VR game is over.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, you can... you can choose 120 or 90. But... you really don't want to force 60 on an HMD. That's not fast enough to be comfortable.

I guess if you can live with constant reprojection, but I find it really distracting and if consistent eventually uncomfortable.

I think you missed my point a bit. I know you can choose the refresh rate of the headset. I'm saying I wish I could limit frames too for better frame pacing and just use constant reprojection for intermediate frames. There's no way to do that in steamVR, AFAIK.

I have found less performant areas a bit more comfortable when the reprojection just stays on with a steady frame rate than areas where I dip below the limit every second or so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brownie posted:

I think you missed my point a bit. I know you can choose the refresh rate of the headset. I'm saying I wish I could limit frames too for better frame pacing and just use constant reprojection for intermediate frames. There's no way to do that in steamVR, AFAIK.

I have found less performant areas a bit more comfortable when the reprojection just stays on with a steady frame rate than areas where I dip below the limit every second or so.

Yeah and you missed my point a bit, which is that forcing a frame limit below 90 seems like a terrible idea. If you aren't getting 90 I would try turning down all the settings, not trying to limit to 60 for better frame timing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a recommended over ear headphone for use with the rift s? All the nice pairs I have are too bulky to fit over the headset, and I don’t really want to use earbuds. I know there’s the pair that’s marketed for psvr but I think I’d prefer a separate thing? Or is that just the best one for this?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
E: double post

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a recommended over ear headphone for use with the rift s? All the nice pairs I have are too bulky to fit over the headset, and I don’t really want to use earbuds. I know there’s the pair that’s marketed for psvr but I think I’d prefer a separate thing? Or is that just the best one for this?

The PSVR has almost the same form factor as the Rift S so the official Sony headphones should all work with it. I use the Platinums and they work fine. Sometimes I have to adjust them a bit to sit firmly on my ears because of the cable clip on the Rift. The golds should work fine too and are cheaper. The newest version of the golds actually look like they might have the most room for a HMD so that might even be best. Bonus, you can use them as wireless headphones on just about everything else. I use them on PC, MAC, PS4 and Switch wirelessly and they all work by just plugging the dongle in and turning the headset on. You have to plug them in on Rift S or PSVR though for 3D sound.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 11, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and you missed my point a bit, which is that forcing a frame limit below 90 seems like a terrible idea. If you aren't getting 90 I would try turning down all the settings, not trying to limit to 60 for better frame timing.

Unfortunately most settings in games like Alyx affect GPU load rather than CPU, so I haven’t had much luck! Cluttered or expansive areas where the CPU is just submitting tons of draw calls result in poor GPU utilization regardless of most settings.

A potential counterpoint is games like IL-2 and DCS which only run at 60 FPS on my PC regardless of settings, and I have to lean on reprojection heavily. I have found it pretty tolerable and experience no real discomfort, aside from how nauseating barrel rolls are in VR. (As in, I don’t find it any more nauseating than Ultrawings)

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

my sennheiser over the ears work great over top of the rift s

they're the HD 439

I think the extra joint at the ears is what works, I'm not feeling them at all when I play games for long stretches

The HD 200 pro is basically the same configuration, my partner has one of those

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I have the sennheiser hd6xx and it’s way too bulky to fit over the rift. I guess maybe over ear is the wrong term? Like a sport style, wrap around the back of the neck type might be what I’m looking for. I don’t want earbuds cause those are really gross to share, it doesn’t need to be super high quality just better than the built in speakers. Cheap is fine and good.

I started the Psychonauts VR game today after remembering someone gifted it to me from a recent humble bundle. It sure feels dated! The writing is fun and cute, and it looks nice, but the loving “your head is the cursor” thing is super annoying, along with no hands at all.

Plus it quickly puts you underwater which is a thing that freaks me out in any video game. Is it worth playing to the end? I know it’s not very long, but if it’s just a bunch of underwater spaces with sharks and poo poo I don’t think I would enjoy it at all.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Ok so thread... cheap way to get a second less powerful VR setup in the house for my kiddo

PSVR used? I'd have to pull in a used PS4 too. Quest used? I dunno

Thoughts? Best way to find something?

His PC won't do a linkup. I'd know, it was my old one.

TYVMIA

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stan Taylor posted:

I have the sennheiser hd6xx and it’s way too bulky to fit over the rift. I guess maybe over ear is the wrong term? Like a sport style, wrap around the back of the neck type might be what I’m looking for. I don’t want earbuds cause those are really gross to share, it doesn’t need to be super high quality just better than the built in speakers. Cheap is fine and good.

I started the Psychonauts VR game today after remembering someone gifted it to me from a recent humble bundle. It sure feels dated! The writing is fun and cute, and it looks nice, but the loving “your head is the cursor” thing is super annoying, along with no hands at all.

Plus it quickly puts you underwater which is a thing that freaks me out in any video game. Is it worth playing to the end? I know it’s not very long, but if it’s just a bunch of underwater spaces with sharks and poo poo I don’t think I would enjoy it at all.

https://amzn.to/32nUlLD

Fits over VR headsets
Isn't heavy
Has 30 hour battery
Has no latency

If you can deal with over the ears, I haven't found anything quite as good for VR. Earbuds end up all having latency issues, and the built in solutions all suck minus the index.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

hhhat posted:

Ok so thread... cheap way to get a second less powerful VR setup in the house for my kiddo

PSVR used? I'd have to pull in a used PS4 too. Quest used? I dunno

Thoughts? Best way to find something?

His PC won't do a linkup. I'd know, it was my old one.

TYVMIA

Rumor (that's been all but confirmed to a degree that is pretty much for sure at this point) is that a new version of the Quest is getting announced next Wednesday that's gonna start at $300, no matter what decision you make you should probably hold off until then

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Lemming posted:

Rumor (that's been all but confirmed to a degree that is pretty much for sure at this point) is that a new version of the Quest is getting announced next Wednesday that's gonna start at $300, no matter what decision you make you should probably hold off until then

no poo poo? i'd feel moderately bourgeois about getting them a 300 dollar xmas present but the added benefit of being portable... huh

i'm totally looking this poo poo up now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

https://amzn.to/32nUlLD

Fits over VR headsets
Isn't heavy
Has 30 hour battery
Has no latency

If you can deal with over the ears, I haven't found anything quite as good for VR. Earbuds end up all having latency issues, and the built in solutions all suck minus the index.

Can you actually use wireless headsets with VR? I always just plug mine in to the because I figured 360 sound wouldn't work via a dongle plugged into a USB on my laptop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stan Taylor posted:

Get the Bionik Mantis PSVR clip-on headphones. They're fantastic and work just fine with the Rift S.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the Bionik Mantis PSVR clip-on headphones. They're fantastic and work just fine with the Rift S.
Same.
The audio quality isn't like super high end but having the headphones clipped onto the headband is just the most convenient solution I've found yet. I did have to move the headset cable a little and re-tie it along with the mantis's cable to get all the wires tucked up nice though.

Still feeling kinda leery about the oculus facebook thing, the Quest has gone from something I wish I had bought to something I'm glad I didn't at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Still feeling kinda leery about the oculus facebook thing, the Quest has gone from something I wish I had bought to something I'm glad I didn't at this point.

I feel like Sidequesting might not be long for the world either with that recent dev account change.

Speaking of the Quest, Carmack's had a keynote on the Quest's development and what he'd like to do with it in the future.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I got the Monstertech joystick/throttle attachments for my chair in anticipation for SW: Squadrons but what are some other more "arcadey" shooters that work best with it besides Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen which are more realistic in tone?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm in the mood for some shootmans but something not rhythm or HL:A or Boneworks. I noticed Zero Caliber has a new update. A single player campaign sounds better to me than pvp only, but if it has zero replayability then maybe something like Contractors is a better buy?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HoboTech posted:

So now the question is, what's next? I've got Moss, Paper Beasts, and modding Skyrim VR. Not sure which to jump into now that the big VR game is over.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm in the mood for some shootmans but something not rhythm or HL:A or Boneworks. I noticed Zero Caliber has a new update. A single player campaign sounds better to me than pvp only, but if it has zero replayability then maybe something like Contractors is a better buy?

Repeating myself, but Walking Dead Saints & Sinners!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SCheeseman posted:

Repeating myself, but Walking Dead Saints & Sinners!

Oh sorry, I have played that all the way through :) Although there's been some updates lately so maybe I'll boot it up. Thanks for the reminder!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm wondering how the hell the Quest port is going to turn out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I'm wondering how the hell the Quest port is going to turn out.

I'm thinking it'll be like the Wii version of Dead Rising :v:.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm almost done with the First Budget Cuts and gently caress Adam!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

Can you actually use wireless headsets with VR? I always just plug mine in to the because I figured 360 sound wouldn't work via a dongle plugged into a USB on my laptop.

Yes.

That was my wireless headset used for workouts/vr for nearly 2 years.

Just set the audio in windows/vr stuff to the headset, same with mic, and done. Just like any other audio source. In fact, Id go so far as to say my positional audio was way better with a real headset.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

8one6 posted:

I'm almost done with the First Budget Cuts and gently caress Adam!

As someone who has beat Budget Cuts, gently caress Adam. I think some aspects of that encounter were done well, but personally I ended up having to go look up the solution after endless failed attempts and frustration.

I think comparing the puzzle design of Adam and Jeff (from HL: Alyx) would be interesting, there's a decent amount in common between them, but the Jeff encounter worked so much more intuitively and never left me feeling frustrated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Free DLC update to Vacation Simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfDxEDNrjsw

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cool. I recommend Vacation Simulator, it's a much more engaging experience than Job Simulator.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Star Trek Bridge Crew is currently on sale on Steam. You can get it plus the Next Generation DLC for very cheap. I picked it up today and it's the first time I've had real fun online with my Quest. Matched into a full crew who were all taking it just seriously enough for it to be fun, and the TNG stuff was really enjoyable. I don't know how much I'll play it again now that I've tried all the roles, but for just over £10 it was well worth a fun evening of getting to sit on the bridge of the Enterprise and shout orders to strangers over the internet. Would definitely recommend to any Star Trek fans.

It's also the first time I've played VR online where everyone was an actual adult. I've said so earlier in the thread, but even though plenty of people you play games online with are probably really young, when you have that kind of presence in VR, being in a video game lobby full of children becomes extremely weird extremely quickly and I always end up quitting out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody have 1 Skyrim VR mod that they swear by? Always looking for good stuff. Performance and visual improvements mostly but I'm down for whatever.

I think this is my favorite one I've come across. It just makes the water look so good it's like night and day https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30571

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Grumbles posted:

Star Trek Bridge Crew is currently on sale on Steam. You can get it plus the Next Generation DLC for very cheap. I picked it up today and it's the first time I've had real fun online with my Quest. Matched into a full crew who were all taking it just seriously enough for it to be fun, and the TNG stuff was really enjoyable. I don't know how much I'll play it again now that I've tried all the roles, but for just over £10 it was well worth a fun evening of getting to sit on the bridge of the Enterprise and shout orders to strangers over the internet. Would definitely recommend to any Star Trek fans.

It's also the first time I've played VR online where everyone was an actual adult. I've said so earlier in the thread, but even though plenty of people you play games online with are probably really young, when you have that kind of presence in VR, being in a video game lobby full of children becomes extremely weird extremely quickly and I always end up quitting out.

I bought it last time it was on sale and I will add that players of this game are some of the most friendly and most welcoming player base I have seen in an online game in decades. Everyone was very helpful and understanding to my newbie status.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I bought it last time it was on sale and I will add that players of this game are some of the most friendly and most welcoming player base I have seen in an online game in decades. Everyone was very helpful and understanding to my newbie status.

One of my favorite VR experiences was playing a couple of missions in the iBridge with a group of people and then one of them suggested we try the TOS bridge. Once it loaded up we all took in in for a second and every single one of us started laughing because of how terrible the controls were. Without the hints on that bridge is impossible to use.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

8one6 posted:

One of my favorite VR experiences was playing a couple of missions in the iBridge with a group of people and then one of them suggested we try the TOS bridge. Once it loaded up we all took in in for a second and every single one of us started laughing because of how terrible the controls were. Without the hints on that bridge is impossible to use.

I haven't played a TOS game yet, but the guys I played with said it was impossible without the hints turned on because it's just a bunch of unlabeled switches and knobs. A++ for screen accurate.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Anybody have 1 Skyrim VR mod that they swear by? Always looking for good stuff. Performance and visual improvements mostly but I'm down for whatever.

I think this is my favorite one I've come across. It just makes the water look so good it's like night and day https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30571

Is VRIK too obvious an answer? What about the mod that replaces spiders with bears cause of my arachnaphobia :v:

Spellsiphon is one I like cause it adds a bunch of combat mechanics that is designed to work with VR

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My boyfriend had his driving lessons cut short by covid, and I have a Pimax and a Logitech G29 steering wheel. What's the most realistic VR driving software I could get him for practicing? Maybe this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/493490/City_Car_Driving/

This thing looks perfect for what we'd want but it's from 2016 and I'm not sure if anything better has come along since then. Or if anything more robust like American Truck Driver might have some kind of normal-size car add-in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dirt Rally has pretty realistic handling and bonus it's actually fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I never really noticed just how different a headset with a higher resolution is (screen-door aside and especially now that I've un-hosed the SteamVR-set display resolution) until I found you can actually see through the tiny pinhole-sized sights on guns like the MP5's in H3VR :stare:.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zero VGS posted:

My boyfriend had his driving lessons cut short by covid, and I have a Pimax and a Logitech G29 steering wheel. What's the most realistic VR driving software I could get him for practicing? Maybe this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/493490/City_Car_Driving/

This thing looks perfect for what we'd want but it's from 2016 and I'm not sure if anything better has come along since then. Or if anything more robust like American Truck Driver might have some kind of normal-size car add-in.

City car driving performs really badly in VR. Driving sims are so far removed from reality mostly because there’s no actual feel for anything but your hands so while I think they are fun and can be useful to learn layouts of tracks and stuff I don’t think they can actually help much for actually honing street driving skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GutBomb posted:

City car driving performs really badly in VR. Driving sims are so far removed from reality mostly because there’s no actual feel for anything but your hands so while I think they are fun and can be useful to learn layouts of tracks and stuff I don’t think they can actually help much for actually honing street driving skills.

I would love a VR force feedback chair so I could actually get the feel of the road, but even then you would still be missing the feeling of acceleration.

There was a study done on pilots where they gave them Novocain shots in their rear end so they couldn’t feel the seat and they ended up flying like poo poo. VR needs to get some kind of way to simulate that kind of feedback at some point.