Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

you can tell it's midrange because it sucks to play and it sucks to play against

If midrange sucks to play against, what is fun to play against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Goblin decks being a thing takes me back to the days of scourge.

Before the dark times.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sickening posted:

Anything but Uro

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Magic sucks right now because I can't go out and actually play it face to face so half the reason I like it is gone.

I realize that covid isn't Wizards' fault, but it does make Magic not as fun as it usually is.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Decks I have a positive matchup against

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This poo poo sucks. The greatest players of all time shouldn’t be dropping games to bugs, it’s so weird there is no appeal system in place for obvious bugs

https://twitter.com/pvddr/status/1304548866650447872?s=21

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here, I made this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
historic seems to not be in a completely terrible spot right now which is nice. But I sympathize with pros who feel like OP is in a bad state. whenever I try to figure out how competitive play is organized and what is required to advance and what the names of everything are, my thoughts become foggy and my brain turns to mush

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Things seem fine right now in Historic and Standard at least if you're not someone whose livelihood depends on playing a child's game. There are the usual stagnation issues because there's nothing new to do until rotation but that's par for the course.

Sorry the grinders are having a bad time. Does seem like WOTC should have sorted out all these issues on Arena before they went ahead with a highly publicized organized tournament but that's WOTC for you.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This poo poo sucks. The greatest players of all time shouldn’t be dropping games to bugs, it’s so weird there is no appeal system in place for obvious bugs

https://twitter.com/pvddr/status/1304548866650447872?s=21

It’s not a bug. You have to set full control in those situations because Arena’s code prioritizes passing if there are no plays available. Otherwise the play clock would be more abysmal.

I can empathize with PVDDR but I have run into similar situations several times to realize when full control is necessary.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, two of the biggest problems are with Phyrexian Tower (for the controller) and Massacre Wurm (for the opponent). If you have a Skirk Prospector and ten 1/1 Goblin tokens, the game does not give you priority in response to Massacre Wurm's trigger and you lose the game instantly. The only solution is to constantly hit CTRL as soon as your opponent could feasibly have a Massacre Wurm.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok, I’ve had a couple times when I was playing Winota where I very obviously had things to do and mana to do it with and the game would just power through, extremely tilting even when playing at home for free, can’t imagine how I’d feel if money were on the line.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok, I’ve had a couple times when I was playing Winota where I very obviously had things to do and mana to do it with and the game would just power through, extremely tilting even when playing at home for free, can’t imagine how I’d feel if money were on the line.

I clicked the wrong permanent in the Magic Qualifier a few months ago and it cost me the match. I ended up coming in second to win $1000, although it doesn't matter. WOTC's partner won't me collect all my prize money since I'm an American citizen who has never lived in the United States.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chamale posted:

I clicked the wrong permanent in the Magic Qualifier a few months ago and it cost me the match. I ended up coming in second to win $1000, although it doesn't matter. WOTC's partner won't me collect all my prize money since I'm an American citizen who has never lived in the United States.

They're withholding taxes?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Devor posted:

They're withholding taxes?

It's not that, there's a limit on how much I can get as a non-US resident to prevent money laundering, but they don't accept my proof that I am an American citizen.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

Same here, and I really can't figure out how the game decides which things are "basically full control as long as this is in play/in hand" and "better lean on ctrl until you've done this thing or you'll never get to do it when you'd want to!" It seems completely random.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

Same here, and I really can't figure out how the game decides which things are "basically full control as long as this is in play/in hand" and "better lean on ctrl until you've done this thing or you'll never get to do it when you'd want to!" It seems completely random.

if you have mana sources but nothing to spend them on, it fast forwards (prospector, tower, etc)

same if you have triggers that go off on certain phases/steps (wild rec, search for azcanta, omens, etc)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The issue with Phyrexian tower is particularly egregious due to the fact that it is extremely obvious to the player that there are relevant game actions to be taken and the game just fails to recognize them. Stealing a creature and saccing for value is like, a basic part of magic the gathering and the fact that the game auto passes through it is absolutely ludicrous.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Stealing a creature and saccing for value is like, a basic part of magic the gathering and the fact that the game auto passes through it is absolutely ludicrous.

It didn’t miss a steal spell or ability. It missed the fact that sacking a creature could change the game state even without being able to cast a spell or activating an ability. Which is way more understandable, Magic is a complex game and building out logic to catch edge cases like that isn’t simple.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Crackbone posted:

It didn’t miss a steal spell or ability. It missed the fact that sacking a creature could change the game state even without being able to cast a spell or activating an ability. Which is way more understandable, Magic is a complex game and building out logic to catch edge cases like that isn’t simple.
It's probably something like the auto-pause triggers on abilities whose effects could change the game state being available, but doesn't consider when the cost of activating the ability could change the game state. Especially when it's a mana ability that it normally shortcuts, so it's doubly an exception to where it might want to pause.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You can do take backs in irl magic now why not have a key or something that would rewind if the game sped through without giving you a chance to do something?

Lead to too many feel bads?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

gameplay is very bad in standard and has been for a long time, other formats are only recently climbing out of being miserably lovely, and on top of and separate from that the state of organized play is a disaster. COVID has obviously made things worse, but OP was already bad and rapidly getting worse in the 3+ years beforehand. WOTC is trying to cultivate a big competitive scene while putting in maybe 1/3 of the resources they were before (and 1/10 of what it would take). Yes obviously the fact that the game isn’t fun to play is hurting tournament play, as is the fact that nobody can go outside, but even if those issues were fixed WOTC is just not interested in investing the resources it would take to make organized play good, and the result is a lot of very angry competitive players.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's cool that Historic went from a joke to probably the most fun format. I'm just glad that Teferi Time Raveler and Field are banned, because it'd just be a shitshow of nothing but Bant decks ramping towards Ugin and Second Sun while building an army of free 2/2s with both u/w teferis as backup.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone recommend an up to date deckbuilding guide?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
- for what format
- if it's for standard, that's changing in less than a week

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Modern and Pioneer. I'd like to know more about the newer archetypes like midrange.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Crackbone posted:

there are tons, and tons of non essential triggers that the game forces you to click through. Ones that come up way less often than phyrexian tower, which is one of the most powerful cards in the historic format and played in tons of decks.

This is not a new problem, it has existed since the card got put on arena. The fact that they have not just gone in and made the game always yield to phyrexian tower triggers is just flat out stupid.

Baron Porkface posted:

Modern and Pioneer. I'd like to know more about the newer archetypes like midrange.

Just go to MTGgoldfish and look up the metagames for each format.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baron Porkface posted:

:negative:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Baron Porkface posted:

oh sorry i thought you were asking an honest question, my bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Whats your problem?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Baron Porkface posted:

Whats your problem?

"Midrange" isn't am archtype, and we just had a page long derail on how "midrange bad and kills the game" so if you're not trolling this sounds very oblivious.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

"Midrange" isn't am archtype, and we just had a page long derail on how "midrange bad and kills the game" so if you're not trolling this sounds very oblivious.

Or maybe I didn't read 10 billion pages of this thread in order to have permission to post here.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Baron Porkface posted:

Or maybe I didn't read 10 billion pages of this thread in order to have permission to post here.

Ask a better question then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dial it down a notch, kiddies

Baron Porkface posted:

Midrange is kinda funny because it generally occupies an in-between for aggro and control. It’s generally about using spells to control the board/hand while pressuring the opponent with creatures/walkers and trying to come out on top in terms of card advantage.

It’s technically existed for a long time but has been more prominent the last decade or so partly due to design philosophy changes

As for a deckbuilding guide I’m not sure one is available out there at the moment that would be super helpful. Modern in particular is a pretty wide open format at the moment with so many viable decks, but this is a pretty much quintessential example of midrange.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The best way to go about figuring out a format is probably to check out mtgtop8 and sort by last two months or last two weeks then trawl through the lists, especially the ones under the decks that make up a higher percentage of the meta in the left box, when you find one you’re curious about you can post here and ask questions that people can hopefully answer when they’re done being condescending white weenies

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dial it down a notch, kiddies

:allears:

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

Leperflesh posted:

you know you can totally go "hmm I see that you think this card is great but based on X, Y, and Z I think it isn't so great" or "I would politely differ, friends, I feel like given it could do A B and C, maybe it's a good card though" and similarly not try and wheelslam down a super-aggro shitpost about how your MTG: The Thread enemies are just insanely stupid and driving you to howling laughter by their mega-wrong take?

I know there's a long history of this stuff in the thread but I am trying to help you guys gradually change the thread culture. Because my alternative is that the mods push me to just hand out sixers and I would rather not do that.

flatluigi posted:

uggy posted:

Ask a better question then

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

does anyone get way more tilted playing on arena/mtgo than in paper? i never show frustration when playing in paper, because it's just not something i do irl and i wanna show people respect. it's easy because you see that your opponent is an actual human being and you're having fun, chatting, etc. but when i'm playing arena and opponent is topdecking like crazy i can't help but imagine them to be just the worst filth ever and get all riled up like a little bitch

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mox Hombre posted:

does anyone get way more tilted playing on arena/mtgo than in paper? i never show frustration when playing in paper, because it's just not something i do irl and i wanna show people respect. it's easy because you see that your opponent is an actual human being and you're having fun, chatting, etc. but when i'm playing arena and opponent is topdecking like crazy i can't help but imagine them to be just the worst filth ever and get all riled up like a little bitch

Lol yes, yesterday I got so mad and started screaming like a lunatic and my dog got scared and left the room and went upstairs, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Baron Porkface posted:

its the same loving page