Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Collapsing Farts posted:

Hell, rape and slavery was basically all the vikings did

The Viking society actually was very progressive. Children of slaves were free men, if you killed a citizen without just cause you had to pay a weregild, etc. Better than the US today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

The Viking society actually was very progressive. Children of slaves were free men, if you killed a citizen without just cause you had to pay a weregild, etc. Better than the US today.

Medieval cultures of all stripes in Europe tend to be more progressive than we imagine them to be. That's not to say they were great places to live or anything but there's a lot of stuff where we take early modern or even victorian norms and project that the medievals must have been that bad or worse.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yeah, like both things are true at the same time.

I once argued in D&D that feudalism is better than capitalism, because under feudalism your lord has been commanded by god to protect you. You give him your loyalty and service, and he gives you protection.

Under capitalism there are no oaths, the are no gods, there are only things that add value, or don't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The 99% of furries that are hard-core Republicans and/or Democrats (but extreme right-wing nevertheless) are all too happy about the "furries are allies now" succdem nonsense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know this sounds racist but I have trouble telling the difference between the Ultramans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The human side in Radiata Stories is waaaaaay better than the non-humans side.

bonus PHUO:
I like Radiata Stories.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't care that Venture Brothers got cancelled.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Hasn't it been canceled for years?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hasn't it been canceled for years?

No like every 30 months they'd put out another four episodes.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I like Venture Brothers a lot but drat Chris McCulloc never deserved the auteur status he got from making that. Also it's super presumptive to expect your audience to wait years at a time between seasons and still be interested.

Like your show isn't that good dude maybe get your work done like everyone else if you want to keep an audience.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's really weird hearing Americans complain about Venture Brothers like as though gaps between seasons are this wild and unreasonable thing when it's just a normal thing that happens on UK TV. Jonathan Creek had three episodes between 2005 and 2013. Red Dwarf came back after ten years then had four seasons spread over ten years.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's not that the gaps are wild and unreasonable, its just that if the show isn't outstanding people lose interest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum posted:

It's really weird hearing Americans complain about Venture Brothers like as though gaps between seasons are this wild and unreasonable thing when it's just a normal thing that happens on UK TV. Jonathan Creek had three episodes between 2005 and 2013. Red Dwarf came back after ten years then had four seasons spread over ten years.

American and Britain have massively different schedules for shooting scripted television. America can make shows much faster because the actors schedules are way more open compared to British celebrities who are legally required to spend at least 9 months of the year doing panel shows.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

politics always must have an aesthetic component, which means that it's useless to have "leftist X" if it's something that's lame or ugly. this is why paul robeson's music is a legitimate political artform, while "leftist youtube" or "leftist twitter" or "ostensibly leftist hollywood movie" isn't and never can be

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i mostly don't really parse what's in people's avatars and usernames and those dumb gang tags. i think of the poster above my posts here as "yellow avatar guy" for example. i have no idea what any of those tags people have mean or how they got them

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Shibawanko posted:

i mostly don't really parse what's in people's avatars and usernames and those dumb gang tags. i think of the poster above my posts here as "yellow avatar guy" for example. i have no idea what any of those tags people have mean or how they got them

wow, being old must suck

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

not a sight issue, long term use of online forums has taught me that the content of peoples projected online identities rarely matter so to me the posters in this thread are yellow guy, blue face guy, text guy, laughing skeleton guy (that one's more salient because it's immediately clear what it is), purple car dude, green hallway man, etc. same thing for other threads

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

That’s awful though, brits should change that

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mini reeses pieces are better than mini m&ms.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

v8 is pretty good once you get over the fact that its basically just cold drinkable soup

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CYBEReris posted:

Caesars are pretty good once you get over the fact that its basically just cold drinkable alcoholic soup

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The only value regular M&Ms have is in baking. As a standalone candy, there's no point to them. Move regular M&Ms to the baking aisle and allow Peanut M&Ms to take their place as the default M&M.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The human side in Radiata Stories is waaaaaay better than the non-humans side.

bonus PHUO:
I like Radiata Stories.

:same:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

The only value regular M&Ms have is in baking. As a standalone candy, there's no point to them. Move regular M&Ms to the baking aisle and allow Peanut M&Ms to take their place as the default M&M.

Wrong. Peanut Butter M&Ms are the superior M&M.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blue Moonlight posted:

Wrong. Peanut Butter M&Ms are the superior M&M.

Did I say peanut M&Ms are the best M&Ms? No I loving didn't. I said they should be the default M&M. Which they should. They have M&M seniority over later M&M variants.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they definitely are the best though

has anyone tried the brownie ones?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Did I say peanut M&Ms are the best M&Ms? No I loving didn't. I said they should be the default M&M. Which they should. They have M&M seniority over later M&M variants.

:hmmyes:

Fair enough.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They have Nutella ones now and they’re good, but peanut butter is the king for sure.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pretzel is the best

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Oh boy, here comes the derail about how North Americans don’t know REAL chocolate.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretzel is the best

good pretzel ones are very good but there are at least a couple of extremely gross duds in each pack

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The caramel in the caramel M&Ms is too firm. I'd bet that it's to make them tougher so you don't end up finding broken ones in the bag and caramel smeared everywhere, but it makes for a disappointing candy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

raisin bread pairs best with savory stuff, not sweet things. raisin bread is great if you put some serrano ham and good butter on it, or steak tartare with mustard

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Oh boy, here comes the derail about how North Americans don’t know REAL chocolate.

Europe doesn’t have coffee crisp QED

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

raisin bread pairs best with savory stuff, not sweet things. raisin bread is great if you put some serrano ham and good butter on it, or steak tartare with mustard
Sweet stuff generally works best as contrast to savoury rather than in all-sweet foods. Fruit, in particular, really elevates a sandwich to a whole new level. Ham and cheese? Fine. Whatever. Ham, cheese and strawberries? Amazing. Banana, peanut-butter and honey? It's OK. Banana, peanut-butter and bacon? Now that's a sandwich.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Sweet stuff generally works best as contrast to savoury rather than in all-sweet foods. Fruit, in particular, really elevates a sandwich to a whole new level. Ham and cheese? Fine. Whatever. Ham, cheese and strawberries? Amazing. Banana, peanut-butter and honey? It's OK. Banana, peanut-butter and bacon? Now that's a sandwich.

yeah exactly, i generally cant really stand stuff thats purely sweet, but i love the fruit-meat combo. one of the best pizza toppings ive ever tried was spiced meat with dates. another one is korean yukhoe with sliced pear

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The AFP thread on SA has taught me that a ton of people have a weird hang up about combining sweet with anything other than more sweet and I don’t get it

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier that PS3 level graphics were more than good enough, there's no real reason to invest resources into making games look better than the best looking PS3 games.

I've had some time to think, and I'd like to expand on that. While it si absolutely true that any resources spent on making games look better has been a complete waste, it's doubly tragic because there is one area where video games really did need to advance, and instead have stagnated. I am of course talking about destructable environments. Whatever extra power these new consoles have, it would only be valuable if it was used to make the environments in games destuctable, and more realistically destructable. The fact that the PS5 and Xbox The New Xbox are going to launch with games featuring building you can't destroy is an absolute travesty. Imagine if video game designers had spent the past ten years instead of chasing ray-traced lighting or motion bloom or whatever other meaningless shiny gew gaws, had been figuring out how to design thrilling action adventure games where you can simply smash through any wall with a big hammer. Or a new Hitman where most assassinations could be achieved simply by collapsing whatever building your target was in. Think about how much better video games would be, and how much more enjoyable they would be to play.

I used to believe this after playing games like Drake's and thinking "why would I ever need/want better graphics". But then I watched high-spec playing of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. There is a whole new world of gaming to discover when we get to near eye-sight level graphics with real world accuracy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

The only value regular M&Ms have is in baking.

M&M cookies > chocolate chip cookies.

quote:

As a standalone candy, there's no point to them. Move regular M&Ms to the baking aisle and allow Peanut M&Ms to take their place as the default M&M.

I agree.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion for the day is that I think it would be stupid if Rollins and Carisi got together on SVU but I think it would have been awesome if she had homewrecked Amaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Banana, peanut-butter and bacon? Now that's a sandwich.

Grilled banana, peanut-butter and bacon.