Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Is this a good thread to ask for RPG recommendations? I've been feeling an itch to play an RPG with romance options and (preferably) the ability to create your own character.

What I've played in the past that scratched this itch to varying degrees:
- Pretty much every Bioware RPG under the sun
- Baldur's Gate I and II
- D:OS2
- Persona 2-5
- Every fallout except FO4, which doesn't really appeal to me
- every elder scrolls game under the sun
- Fire Emblem: 3H. Awakening is on my radar but I don't have a DS and the price appears to still be the same as when it was released? Wild.

Not particularly interested in the Witcher, Pathfinder: Kingmaker or the Pillars of Eternity games.

Preferably stuff playable on PC, PS4 or Nintendo Switch. I can dig up my Vita if need to be.

ummm Stardew Valley????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You'd think games like Stardew valley would be up my alley, but I really have no interest in this farming sim genre :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah it wasn't really a good rec anyway, I'm just stumped

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can get married in Dark Souls 3

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragon's Dogma is a good call, and Dragon Quest V too. But besides that I'd say it's time to develop a taste for eastern european swamps because the big one you're missing out on if The Witcher 3

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

Play Dragon’s Dogma and you can romance almost anyone, but there’s one pretty obvious choice.

Feste. It’s Feste.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I forgot to mention, I have played Dragon's dogma all the way to the point where you get married (not the endgame or postgame on the dark arisen expansion island).

EDIT: all of those would be excellent recommendations and exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, if not for the fact I already played them haha

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Deltasquid posted:

Is this a good thread to ask for RPG recommendations? I've been feeling an itch to play an RPG with romance options and (preferably) the ability to create your own character.

- Baldur's Gate I and II
- Persona 2-5
- Fire Emblem: 3H. Awakening is on my radar but I don't have a DS and the price appears to still be the same as when it was released? Wild.

Not particularly interested in the Witcher, Pathfinder: Kingmaker or the Pillars of Eternity games.

Preferably stuff playable on PC, PS4 or Nintendo Switch. I can dig up my Vita if need to be.
Harvest Moon: Rune Factory 3. Several different marriage options, all of whom are deeply entertaining characters--and unlike the mainline Harvest Moon games, it's a full-fledged ARPG with farming sim elements, not a dedicated farming sim. It's for NDS, not 3DS, so it should be easier to get ahold of than Awakening, assuming you're willing to emulate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elephant Parade posted:

Harvest Moon: Rune Factory 3. Several different marriage options, all of whom are deeply entertaining characters--and unlike the mainline Harvest Moon games, it's a full-fledged ARPG with farming sim elements, not a dedicated farming sim. It's for NDS, not 3DS, so it should be easier to get ahold of than Awakening, assuming you're willing to emulate.

Rune Factory 4 is also good and just got a Switch release too

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

- Baldur's Gate I and II
- Persona 2-5

I'd say reconsider and maybe try out Deadfire. PoE1 is divisive but pretty much everyone who tried 2 loves it. It really has pretty outstanding roleplaying and ability to play your own character, and some interesting romances too.

And if what put you off 1 was the setting, 2 shakes it up and is set in fantasy Hawaii/South Pacific.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I liked PoE 1 in theory but somehow the sum of its parts appealed less to me than the individual ideas. I think the glacial pace of the first areas, and the fact that I had no real idea what I was supposed to be doing, lead to me dropping it. I'll try out 2 I guess.

I'll check out the rune factory games. And hell, I might as well try out stardew valley, why not.

Are expeditions: conquistadors and expeditions: Vikings any good?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

- Baldur's Gate I and II
- Persona 2-5

seems like you have exhausted basically every option for RPGs with romance options. you should really try the witcher 3 tho, one of the best RPGs out there and also it has good romance options

Deltasquid posted:

I liked PoE 1 in theory but somehow the sum of its parts appealed less to me than the individual ideas. I think the glacial pace of the first areas, and the fact that I had no real idea what I was supposed to be doing, lead to me dropping it. I'll try out 2 I guess.

I'll check out the rune factory games. And hell, I might as well try out stardew valley, why not.

Are expeditions: conquistadors and expeditions: Vikings any good?

the expeditions games are pretty good but not really RPGs, they are more like heroes of might and magic

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 12, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Deltasquid posted:

- Baldur's Gate I and II
- Persona 2-5

Icewind Dale 1 and 2? They're the same engine as Baldur's Gate but I don't remember what the romance options are, if any.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're combat games with very little story and I'm pretty sure no romance, but yeah just play The Witchery 3

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Deltasquid posted:

- Baldur's Gate I and II
- Persona 2-5

Tales of Symphonia - Sure you can stick with the default girl next door, but... what if you want to complete the game with you being close to your school teacher... or your male childhood friend. Or your Dad. Or your other Dad? Or Prese-NO!

But really, I appreciated the game for letting me choose who I get close to through use of skits found around the world and how I answer them. That can change who participates in some of the scenes that bring the MC close to another party member. Of course it's Tales of Symphonia and old and anime AF, so you mileage may vary, but overall I recommend.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 13, 2020

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

babypolis posted:

seems like you have exhausted basically every option for RPGs with romance options. you should really try the witcher 3 tho, one of the best RPGs out there and also it has good romance options

the expeditions games are pretty good but not really RPGs, they are more like heroes of might and magic

Certainly feels like I exhausted them! At this point I might have to just dive into visual novels or dating sims to get my fix.

Fortunately I also like HoMM so I might look into the expeditions games anyway.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Tales of Symphonia - Sure you can stick with the default girl next door, but... what if you want to complete the game with you being close to your school teacher... or your male childhood friend. Or your Dad. Or your other Dad? Or Prese-NO!

But really, I appreciated the game for letting me choose who I get close to through use of skits found around the world and how I answer them. That can change who participates in some of the scenes that bring the MC close to another party member. Of course it's Tales of Symphonia and old and anime AF, so you mileage may vary, but overall I recommend.

Hmm, that's interesting, didn't know that. I've played a few Tales of games but hopped aboard quite late (tales of Xillia) so I'll look into Symphonia. I can certainly stomach anime and JRPGs. Thanks!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Icewind Dale 1 and 2? They're the same engine as Baldur's Gate but I don't remember what the romance options are, if any.

I've played them, but yeah, no romance IIRC.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The "romance" in Symphonia is like one scene late in the game where they explain some more about their subplot and it doesn't even affect the ending unless you choose the one that is 100% unambiguously not a romance. It's also not a good game in general.

Do recommend Pillars 2, I was one of the people who bounced off the first one and found the second more compelling in every way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy moly, going from Disgaea 5 to 1 is a big step down. I'm so constantly broke just using the hospital! I can't even buy better weapons at this point, all I can do is item world dives and hope I break even at worst.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Caphi posted:

The "romance" in Symphonia is like one scene late in the game where they explain some more about their subplot and it doesn't even affect the ending unless you choose the one that is 100% unambiguously not a romance. It's also not a good game in general.

It's slightly more than that. There's a scene early on on the game where you get on a dragon with Colette have a discussion, fly away. However that could easily be with your teacher, your school chum or your other party member. and there's a few more things like this throughout the game depending on how you react in the skits. Sure it doesn't change any major plot points, but rare is the JRPG that deviates from that set destination.

My own first playthrough had me constantly talking to the ninja girl as she just had better chamisry with Lloyd. They had several scenes together where their realsionship expanded and it ended with them on two seperate worlds both hoping to see each other again.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 13, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

At that point just play Star Ocean 2 at least that'll give you a final cutscene.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you're gonna play tales of symphonia for the relationship mechanics at that point you might as well play just tales of innocence, it's not a fun game to play either but it at least has better writing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Holy moly, going from Disgaea 5 to 1 is a big step down. I'm so constantly broke just using the hospital! I can't even buy better weapons at this point, all I can do is item world dives and hope I break even at worst.

And don’t forget to fill your sixteen in-battle inventory slots up with fairy dusts since ailments don’t go away in between floors.

Disgaea 1 is kind of like playing a jankass old sandbox/open world GTA-type game where part of the fun is that it’s so jank you can easily get away with doing stuff like maxing out Statasticians/Brokers/Managers early on since they still show up on generic shop equips. Well, NIS games in general let you duck around a bunch but D1 has the least effort put into restraining the player.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caphi posted:

i know we hate symphonia here but there's no need to put down one of the actually cool aspects of it. the relationship values/your choices actually change a pretty appreciable amount of scenes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they change a few scenes pretty majorly but like... it's symphonia and lloyd's dynamics with the characters ultimately aren't really interesting enough to make the system that memorable beyond the fact that it exists at all. i'd only really give it props for working better than the awkward stuff xillia 2 has in place that end up being completely superfluous to that game

and in the end it still really is just like... three, four scenes? idk it's just like. a mildly interesting side note, not a core game system. if i had to rec an action rpg with romance stuff i'd go with like, tokyo xanadu over it because the relationship stuff in that game is a lot more core to it, something you'll actually regularly engage with and get rewarded for across its runtime

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 13, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

money is pretty scarce early on but just dive into the item world for gladiators and stack them on somebody's weapon, that will generally let you go further in the item world than you "should" be able to given the overall strength of your team and you'll start making lots of money very fast. also, make sure you create big geo-chains whenever the item world presents you with a relatively convenient opportunity to do so - i generally don't end up buying weapons because weapon upgrades from the bonus prizes are quite common.

i don't really suggest hitting the item world much at all if you intend to progress through the story in a normal way though, going into it in the early game is more for replays imo. the curve breaks exceedingly quickly if you aren't just playing the story missions in order.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jazerus posted:

money is pretty scarce early on but just dive into the item world for gladiators and stack them on somebody's weapon, that will generally let you go further in the item world than you "should" be able to given the overall strength of your team and you'll start making lots of money very fast. also, make sure you create big geo-chains whenever the item world presents you with a relatively convenient opportunity to do so - i generally don't end up buying weapons because weapon upgrades from the bonus prizes are quite common.

i don't really suggest hitting the item world much at all if you intend to progress through the story in a normal way though, going into it in the early game is more for replays imo. the curve breaks exceedingly quickly if you aren't just playing the story missions in order.

I'm mostly just playing it for the story yeah, I never even figured out how to break 5 so I'm not going back to try and do that on the first one. I never really had the brain for those kind of moves, I just sometimes get lucky and break a block and then the entire screen explodes, I don't know how to manipulate them.

I've got a Rogue that's a decent level so I've been having her snag good weapons off people in the item world when those show up in LV 1 items for some reason. Monster weapon with 70 attack in episode 3? Don't mind if I do! Shoes on a boss? Those are mine now. That's about as far as I can think things through.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I'm mostly just playing it for the story yeah, I never even figured out how to break 5 so I'm not going back to try and do that on the first one. I never really had the brain for those kind of moves, I just sometimes get lucky and break a block and then the entire screen explodes, I don't know how to manipulate them.

I've got a Rogue that's a decent level so I've been having her snag good weapons off people in the item world when those show up in LV 1 items for some reason. Monster weapon with 70 attack in episode 3? Don't mind if I do! Shoes on a boss? Those are mine now. That's about as far as I can think things through.

Geo chains are honestly pretty easy to manipulate in practice; all you do is dump all the blocks you can onto Color A, throw the clear one on Color B, then start the chain by breaking Block B. It’s pretty much foolproof and involves little brainwork, with the caveat that you usually have to destroy the blocks that null color changing first if those are a thing in 1.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Geo chains are honestly pretty easy to manipulate in practice; all you do is dump all the blocks you can onto Color A, throw the clear one on Color B, then start the chain by breaking Block B. It’s pretty much foolproof and involves little brainwork, with the caveat that you usually have to destroy the blocks that null color changing first if those are a thing in 1.

Well gently caress, this is way simpler than the games have ever made it seem!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

Well gently caress, this is way simpler than the games have ever made it seem!

An easy option when the map has the space for it:
Throw every color block in to a close cluster on the geo tile color there isn't a block for, and put the geo clear block away from the cluster. Break the cluster and it'll change geo tile colors in the order the blocks were destroyed. Since you tossed the clear block on a tile away from the cluster, it gets destroyed last and clears all the colors:
XXO
XXO
XXO
OOO
OOO
OOC

Xs are color blocks and C is the clear block in that example. You'd destroy the top left X, or whichever X you need to have the colors change to first to maximize the bonus if the map's geo tiles aren't numerous to ensure a max bonus gauge. A full color clear should give you a max bonus on all but the smallest maps though.

A big thing to keep in mind with that setup is that if there's a small number of tiles then you might need to use the cascade method like Last Celebration mentioned. Also, any map with (super) encroach on a geoblock is basically a free max bonus gauge + clear if you can wait out having the encroaching color cover the IW level. Unless there's an invincibility geo block as well since that can screw up everything.

If you want to do the real postgame stuff then you'll want to learn how to break the game thoroughly. Which isn't too bad in 5 compared to poo poo like the puppy paw stick method in 3 and whatever trick people used in 4 after the shop duplication bug was fixed.

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you want to do the real postgame stuff then you'll want to learn how to break the game thoroughly. Which isn't too bad in 5 compared to poo poo like the puppy paw stick method in 3 and whatever trick people used in 4 after the shop duplication bug was fixed.

I like how in Disgaea 3 and 4 you needed convoluted ways to duplicate items then in Disgaea 5 there's a room in the item world that goes "oh you want to dupe this item? sure I guess".

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
So after 20 years I'm replaying Chrono Cross and setting aside that it was supposed to be a Chrono Trigger sequel, I'm kind of amazed how colorful it is and how well it holds up for the era.

I haven't gotten to the info dump, though. That's all I really remembered.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

GrandmaParty posted:

So after 20 years I'm replaying Chrono Cross and setting aside that it was supposed to be a Chrono Trigger sequel, I'm kind of amazed how colorful it is and how well it holds up for the era.

Yeah, when I played it for the first time (after hearing all about how Chrono Trigger's sequel was really disappointing) I was actually really impressed. If it hadn't be linked to Chrono Trigger and was just its own thing I definitely think it would be remembered a lot better.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AstrialJam posted:

I like how in Disgaea 3 and 4 you needed convoluted ways to duplicate items then in Disgaea 5 there's a room in the item world that goes "oh you want to dupe this item? sure I guess".

It started out as a glitch, right?

Nice to see a series realizing that their glitches made the game more fun and implement them officially in the sequels

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

I think that sometimes a lot is said about how convoluted the story is but I think it's pretty cool that despite how complicated it is to fully follow and comprehend everything going on there are still plot beats that hit your gut like an emotional freight train.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AstrialJam posted:

Yeah it's great. Duping via Chara World was the absolute pits

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

One thing that was weird was 5 has (or had) a bunch of online map share/play stuff but you couldn't earn xp/drops from them at first, but could maybe do so later on when you wouldn't actually bother doing so since by that point you're tearing rear end through LoC and set up 1 to 9999 insta leveling long ago.

I guess the other option was they'd have had people power leveling and grabbing LoC-grade drops right out the gate but it's Disgaea, breaking the game is the point.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It started out as a glitch, right?

Nice to see a series realizing that their glitches made the game more fun and implement them officially in the sequels
I don't think the weird poo poo you can do with the Puppy Paw Stick was a bug, exactly. If you're making a Disgaea game and put in a weapon that copies the gear of enemies you kill with it, you must know what that'll lead to.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'd say reconsider and maybe try out Deadfire. PoE1 is divisive but pretty much everyone who tried 2 loves it. It really has pretty outstanding roleplaying and ability to play your own character, and some interesting romances too.

And if what put you off 1 was the setting, 2 shakes it up and is set in fantasy Hawaii/South Pacific.

Seconding this. I was very disappointed with Pillars of Eternity 1 and slept on 2 until people insisted it was better. I think it's Obsidian's best game and most interesting setting since New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't think the weird poo poo you can do with the Puppy Paw Stick was a bug, exactly. If you're making a Disgaea game and put in a weapon that copies the gear of enemies you kill with it, you must know what that'll lead to.

I can genuinely believe that it was an oversight since Chara World was a new thing in 3, which iirc was the first game to make the Clone geo panel effect only effect enemies as opposed to the first two. Plus, they, you know, did patch it out of 3 iirc(or at least made it way harder to pull off)

The funny thing is, I think the exploit was mainly used for innocent farming since the high end ones like Statisticians are super hard to get leveled and D3/4 let you hit above your weight to an insane degree anyway with the hosed skill boosting mechanics.