Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

One more reason it really sucks there's a dairy shortage right now. Christ, I miss milk.

Mushrooms are a great source of vitamin D too. And since it's naturally occurring instead of enriched, your body has an easier time absorbing the sweet, sweet nutrition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

i am harry posted:

We’re in the middle of a pandemic so if you don’t already have masks for that I really don’t know what to tell you.

Can you even get appreciable sunshine through smoke clouds?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

CannonFodder posted:

lol. We had to turn on the lights in the house at 11 am, even with all the blinds/curtains open. It was that dark.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

A huge percentage of people are vitamin D deficient anyway, and supplementing with it to reasonable degrees isn't going to be harmful, so there's no reason not to do it.

The Institute of Medicine sets the safe upper intake at 4000 IU per day, whereas the RDA is 400-800 IU depending on your age. Note that RDAs are bare minimums, so exceeding it by noncrazy amounts isn't automatically bad.

You might wanna have a read of this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28768407/#:~:text=A%20statistical%20error%20in%20the,values%20%E2%89%A550%20nmol%2FL.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Propaganda Machine posted:

Mushrooms are a great source of vitamin D too. And since it's naturally occurring instead of enriched, your body has an easier time absorbing the sweet, sweet nutrition.

rather die than taste (non-magic) mushrooms :colbert:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

The UV rays go right through regular clouds, but you may have a point about the clouds of burned particulate...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

rather die than taste (non-magic) mushrooms :colbert:

enjoy your chicken nuggets

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

rt4 posted:

enjoy your chicken nuggets

im vegetarian :smug:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

other people posted:

Those chikkin nuggets are even worse tho

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

Guess you won't mind me taking those nuggz off your hands

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Konstantin posted:

I'm hearing that Vitamin D may be effective is reducing symptom severity of coronavirus, but the information seems to really vary. Some scientists speculate that a deficiency may make you more vulnerable, there has been a small study showing supplementation reducing ICU admissions in people with the virus, and some less reliable sources are recommending that you take 10x the RDA. Mainstream sources don't seem to be reporting on this though, which makes me suspicious. If there was a easy, safe.option like this you'd think that everyone would be recommending it.

You linked to a mainstream source in your post, and since it's a journal article it cites a bunch of other journal articles making related observations. Do you mean popsci journalists aren't reporting on it? Because a cursory google search shows that that's not the case either

So what do you mean exactly?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks. Yeah, I realize 4k/day is probably low and there's a lot of debate about Vitamin D intake etc., but I was mostly trying to convey that:
(A) Many, many people are Vitamin D deficient
(B) Supplementing with reasonable amounts of Vitamin D isn't going to hurt you

In short, Vitamin D deficiency isn't going to do you any favors, and while it may or may not matter against the 'Rona, it's not like Vitamin D is in the same category as other attempted interventions like hydroxychloroquine, which most definitely has risks and side effects.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Vitamin D basically ended up being the most important one

We thought it was Vitamin C

Nope, it's D.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Oh sure, i had no disagreement, just trying to help. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Every time I get labs done my vitamin D is really low. They had me take a once weekly 50,000 unit capsule for a while. Now I take maybe 5,000 units a day on my own. I'm not sure when my next labs will be but I'm hoping it's actually normal for once.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Holy crap

Thank you!!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

GolfHole posted:

Vitamin D basically ended up being the most important one

We thought it was Vitamin C

Nope, it's D.

Vitamin C being crucial for immune health was mostly promulgated by one crank. Carrots aren’t good for your night vision either.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Every time I get labs done my vitamin D is really low. They had me take a once weekly 50,000 unit capsule for a while. Now I take maybe 5,000 units a day on my own. I'm not sure when my next labs will be but I'm hoping it's actually normal for once.

Funnily enough, just before all this started, I was chatting to a doctor who mentioned (in the grey and gloomy British Isles) that a lot of BAME people have Vitamin D deficiency and they were going to start more aggressively testing for and treating it.

I don't know if any serious investigation has been done as to whether this is the reason behind the much higher death rates among BAME people, even adjusted for the usual social and economic factors, but that conversation came to mind as soon as the deaths started mounting.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

A huge percentage of people are vitamin D deficient anyway, and supplementing with it to reasonable degrees isn't going to be harmful, so there's no reason not to do it.

The Institute of Medicine sets the safe upper intake at 4000 IU per day, whereas the RDA is 400-800 IU depending on your age. Note that RDAs are bare minimums, so exceeding it by noncrazy amounts isn't automatically bad.

My doctor actually put me on a Vitamin D prescription in November and you best believe I have been taking those pills religiously. You got me curious about my dosage though, and she's got me taking two 50,000 IU pills per week. I guess I was super low? I dunno, but I haven't gotten the roni yet (that I know of) despite going into my office every day and my boyfriend working retail.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funnily enough, just before all this started, I was chatting to a doctor who mentioned (in the grey and gloomy British Isles) that a lot of BAME people have Vitamin D deficiency and they were going to start more aggressively testing for and treating it.

I don't know if any serious investigation has been done as to whether this is the reason behind the much higher death rates among BAME people, even adjusted for the usual social and economic factors, but that conversation came to mind as soon as the deaths started mounting.

The skin of BAME individuals produces less vitamin D than the standard British Gammon when exposed to UV light. The standard advice is 15 minutes of sun exposure a day on face and arms will be sufficient for Vit D but it turns out it only works if you are white.

The same pigmentation that stops BAME people from becoming riddled with skin cancer also impedes Vit D formation not to mention cultural factors about sun exposure.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I rarely go outside.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
On vitamin D chat:

https://www.devaboone.com/post/vitamin-d-part-2-shannon-s-story?postId=5f39453f8d01fe00170023f

Some things called vitamins are very powerful despite being unregulated, especially the ones that are fat soluble

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Sounds nice but is probably BS. Those kids had parents who went through some poo poo, and many were abused in some form or the other. What % of boomers had parents who beat them when they were bad, were alcoholics etc etc. The % would probably surprise you. If you grew up in the 40s or 50s you were getting hit with belts and ladles all the time.
I grew up in the 70s and 80s and all of the old black and white TV shows that weren't "Growing Up with Dad" or something wholesome like that used, "I'll get the switch!" or belt or whatever as a punchline. Even some of the family shows of the 80s hinted at it as a joke and Bart was regularly choked by Homer as a gag. A lot of comedians in the 80s used it as samples of their life and jokes like Chris Rock, Bill Cosby, or Eddie Murphy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fondue posted:

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and all of the old black and white TV shows that weren't "Growing Up with Dad" or something wholesome like that used, "I'll get the switch!" or belt or whatever as a punchline. Even some of the family shows of the 80s hinted at it as a joke and Bart was regularly choked by Homer as a gag. A lot of comedians in the 80s used it as samples of their life and jokes like Chris Rock, Bill Cosby, or Eddie Murphy.

The good ol' days of laughing about child abuse. Good thing that sort of stuff never happens today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CannonFodder posted:

I looked this one up a while ago because I wanted to know about its effect on denaturing the virus.

It turns out that the ultraviolet blockage from wildfire smoke is roughly proportional to the visible light blockage, so if there’s smoke but it’s just like overcast, you’re getting a decent amount of UV exposure. If there’s so much smoke it’s like twilight at midday, you’re getting very little UV.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

The good ol' days of laughing about child abuse. Good thing that sort of stuff never happens today.

Minor league baseball did a month of renaming teams to Spanish for Latino History Month and ...

https://www.milb.com/san-antonio/news/new-flying-chanclas-logo-revealed-305371920

quote:

The name "Flying Chanclas" honors the matriarch of the Latino family, the abuelita (grandmother), and her symbol of strength, discipline and love with its on-field persona for this special series of events. The chancla has long been symbolic of the abuelita as she maintains the structure and order of the family.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i really did not recall la chancla in the pixar movie but huh, there it is

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Soysaucebeast posted:

My doctor actually put me on a Vitamin D prescription in November and you best believe I have been taking those pills religiously. You got me curious about my dosage though, and she's got me taking two 50,000 IU pills per week. I guess I was super low? I dunno, but I haven't gotten the roni yet (that I know of) despite going into my office every day and my boyfriend working retail.

The only form of vitamin D available for prescription in the US is D2, not the D3 that nearly every other country and recommendation/dosage reflects. D3 is processed more easily too. The US is behind the times, no surprise. D3 is what you'll usually find for supplements, but D2 is also available (D2 is what they add to milk iirc).

Sublingual tabs or droplets of d3 actually work best, so well that I went from "adult rickets" level low to too high in a couple months, but I'd admittedly been trying to reach high levels because after iron deficient anemia and then vitamin D deficiency I was sick of feeling exhausted.

If you're going to be taking vitamin D supplements for awhile, you may want to consider taking K2 as well as they work better together. And probably get your calcium levels checked as that's necessary for vitamin D to do much.

Also, vitamin D is not a vitamin, but a hormone. And it's pronounced, "vitamin".

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Today was move-in day at my Uni in the S.E. US. We've been online-only for 1 month and are scheduled to return to classes at least part time a week from tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDEzmSff3M&t=3s

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Teacher at my kids’ school posted on social media a bunch of pics from a wedding they attended this weekend. Lots of people. Partying. No masks, no distancing.

In person instruction starts tomorrow. This teacher works closely with small groups of young kids, below the age cutoff where masks are mandatory.

gently caress.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

logical fallacy posted:

The only form of vitamin D available for prescription in the US is D2, not the D3 that nearly every other country and recommendation/dosage reflects. D3 is processed more easily too. The US is behind the times, no surprise. D3 is what you'll usually find for supplements, but D2 is also available (D2 is what they add to milk iirc).

Sublingual tabs or droplets of d3 actually work best, so well that I went from "adult rickets" level low to too high in a couple months, but I'd admittedly been trying to reach high levels because after iron deficient anemia and then vitamin D deficiency I was sick of feeling exhausted.

If you're going to be taking vitamin D supplements for awhile, you may want to consider taking K2 as well as they work better together. And probably get your calcium levels checked as that's necessary for vitamin D to do much.

Also, vitamin D is not a vitamin, but a hormone. And it's pronounced, "vitamin".

no

First google result: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

You are a nerd

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mrs. Sexual posted:

You are a nerd

You protect domestic abusers

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

QuarkJets posted:

You protect domestic abusers

Don't reply to Burt!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
avoid it like the cure to the plague

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1305...ingawful.com%2F

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Got my first pfizer injection along with my dad. My arm is sore and a little flushed, while my dad's isn't, so maybe I got the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Scarodactyl posted:

Got my first pfizer injection along with my dad. My arm is sore and a little flushed, while my dad's isn't, so maybe I got the real deal.

:rip: