Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

So now you’re resorting to lying. Alright bud. Whatever you say.

Where's the lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

What’s funny is I’m not the one lampshading. People in this thread literally saying the show is supposed to be bad because it’s silly is.

No you humorless chode

The show is lampshading

Not all humor is setup/punchline

It's ok not to like what this show is but a lot of us laughed at stuff so it's objectively funny, that's literally the only way to know, not some vulcan humor algorithm

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Bloop posted:

No you humorless chode

The show is lampshading

It's ok not to like what this show is but a lot of us laughed at stuff so it's objectively funny, that's literally the only way to know, not some vulcan humor algorithm

You’re right it is. I read it as someone trying to say my argument against it is lampshading. Because of the string of responses.

Phylodox posted:

Where's the lie?

I’ve clearly posted things about the show other people haven’t.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alchenar posted:

Here's the actual problem:

The joke/reference is that people use the Holodeck to meet historical figures.

The punchline is

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also the joke about using the holodeck to meet famous people is both a joke and a reference, with the joke being that the list of people to meet goes on so long as to be absurd, and the reference being that it's an actual list of all the historical figures used this way in Next Generation.

It's not setup/punchline, it's specificity to the point of absurdism.

Like I said, it's not a great joke, but it's still a joke even without it being a TNG reference.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Next, on modern trek tv thread:
picking apart jokes that make you laugh to see if they're scientifically written to be funny or you're just wrong

no seriously get that deuce outta here

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Super Deuce posted:

You just think I’m the only one acting negatively because you agree with them. They’ve acted similarly negative.

what do i agree with them on

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Bloop posted:

data taking 7 years to get a joke told at farpoint station resonated with me too

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For gently caress sake computer end thread

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The issue here has nothing to do with the quality of LDS and everything to do with how lovely Deuce is being.

This thread went through Disco S2 and Picard, it's not criticizing or making GBS threads on shows is something new and unique that we just can't handle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

data taking 7 years to get a joke told at farpoint station resonated with me too

Can you get him to explain this post

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

I’ve clearly posted things about the show other people haven’t.

You haven’t. You’ve just been reiterating other peoples’ criticisms with childish hyperbole.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Bloop posted:

Just imagine the number of lower decks crew that rotate in and out of the Enterprise

Of course stories about their doings spread virally and are also comically distorted from time to time

Also Mariner herself was on the drat Enterprise at some point
I'd been wondering how old Mariner is supposed to be to have experienced all this crazy stuff yet still be in the same age range as relative and actual newbie officers like Boimler and Tendi, and it struck me: maybe she was a Wesley and Freeman was on the Enterprise's night shift. It's a decade in-show since the D was destroyed, but Mariner doesn't come across as 10 years-plus older than her bunkmates. (If she is and she's still acting the way she does, that's... kinda sad and pathetic.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Payndz posted:

I'd been wondering how old Mariner is supposed to be to have experienced all this crazy stuff yet still be in the same age range as relative and actual newbie officers like Boimler and Tendi, and it struck me: maybe she was a Wesley and Freeman was on the Enterprise's night shift. It's a decade in-show since the D was destroyed, but Mariner doesn't come across as 10 years-plus older than her bunkmates. (If she is and she's still acting the way she does, that's... kinda sad and pathetic.)

I just assume it's mostly stuff from her childhood and teen years since her parents are a Captain and an Admiral, she's probably been kicking around ships since she was born. Which is a reason she'd be into what Starfleet does but not its regulations, since to her that's basically her parent's rules that she can ignore for her personal experience.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Payndz posted:

I get the impression that she was a kid on the D where her parents were deployed, and then served on the E herself? Maybe?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
(I liked this episode, it was funny) × 12

I thought it was pretty funny how "connect brain to computer to make me better" was an idea that someone would try, and I like to think that there's going to be a regulation named after Ensign Dipshit because of it. Or, at least, a warning. I mean, "don't drink bleach" is something bleach companies have to say now.

We need a warning label with an ANSI-style symbol of a brain connected to a computer, and the computer turning evil and assimilating things.

"DO NOT CONNECT TO BRAIN. MALEVOLENT SENTIENCE AND BORG-LIKE BEHAVIOR MAY RESULT."

I also really enjoyed the Badgie B-plot. I think they're doing the budding romance (maybe?) between Rutherford and D'Vana well. The first part of the holodeck adventure was fun to watch, as far as cartoon workplace science-fiction sitcom romances go.

And speaking of the holodeck--they didn't go all fancy-walls, like on Voyager. This is the standard black surface + yellow grid from TNG, making me think that it's just the older model of holodeck and the Cerritos has it because Starfleet is in no hurry to make that particular upgrade.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I thought it was pretty funny how "connect brain to computer to make me better" was an idea that someone would try, and I like to think that there's going to be a regulation named after Ensign Dipshit because of it. Or, at least, a warning. I mean, "don't drink bleach" is something bleach companies have to say now.

It's kind of like if Barclay started dumb and then hosed up.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I wonder if Barclay ever got a statue in the future, like a certain great Miles O'Brien.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Keltar posted:

I wonder if Barclay ever got a statue in the future, like a certain great Miles O'Brien.

He doesn’t need a statue, he has a disease named after him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Keltar posted:

The man is pretty much the reason that Voyager even got home from the Delta Quadrant at all, so yeah he probably has like a building named after him by now. Or a plaque in a building somewhere. Or a picture on a wall somewhere that says "Good Job, Reg!"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s a portrait of Georgi giving a thumbs up, saying “Good job, Reg!”.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Barclay's statue is standing awkwardly directly behind Zephram Cochrane's.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Holy gently caress

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm so proud to have been involved in the chain of events that led to this :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Mimicking the idiot who got probed for telling that all who likes LDS are wrong
So you actually think that this show is A) clever, B) for teens who C) aren't already Star Trek fans?

The Bloop posted:

Literally no one is saying that the writing is exceptional or that it's a literary masterpiece you absolute goober. They're just saying they laughed at the silly show enough to watch it again next week.
Has anyone said it's a literary masterpiece? No. Have they given it far more praise than "not so bad that I'll stop watching"? Yes, absolutely.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah it is? Or at least, it can always be analysed or explained in that way.

Phylodox posted:

Most everyone manages to discuss it without being needlessly confrontational and lovely about it, though.
Most people aren't being dogpiled by half a dozen other people.

Statutory Ape posted:

most of your posting seems to be about your posting and the way that people react negatively to it
Weird how that happens when a bunch of people wildly overreact to some mildly abrasive criticism of a TV show.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Tiggum posted:

How did you come to that conclusion? Which part of this Far Side strip is the setup, and which part is the punchline?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Most people aren't being dogpiled by half a dozen other people.

Most people aren't dumb enough to come into a room (thread) and start shouting NO YOU'RE WRONG FOR LIKING IT

Tiggum posted:

Weird how that happens when a bunch of people wildly overreact to some mildly abrasive criticism of a TV show.

d0e5 5Up3R D3UcE wRIte yOUr p05ts? Try to read what this guy came here with.

Tiggum posted:

No, mlyp.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been making GBS threads on Lower Decks since before it even aired, but even I know how to criticize the show without questioning the mental faculties of posters who enjoy it.

I mean :wtc:, at the end of the day it’s just a drat tv show.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Lower Decks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lord Krangdar posted:

How did you come to that conclusion? Which part of this Far Side strip is the setup, and which part is the punchline?

I can't answer that question because I don't get that particular cartoon. I mean, I realise that the snake has eaten a baby, but I don't find it amusing or understand why I'm supposed to. The snake seems to be looking with concern at the bottle; is that part of it? :shrug:

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Try to read what this guy came here with.
I did. I think pretty much everyone responding to him is wildly overreacting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been making GBS threads on Lower Decks since before it even aired, but even I know how to criticize the show without questioning the mental faculties of posters who enjoy it.

TV IV > Modern Star Trek Megathread: Everyone Else But Me Is Completely loving Stupid

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

You are wrong for thinking

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

We need a warning label with an ANSI-style symbol of a brain connected to a computer, and the computer turning evil and assimilating things.

"DO NOT CONNECT TO BRAIN. MALEVOLENT SENTIENCE AND BORG-LIKE BEHAVIOR MAY RESULT."

I also really enjoyed the Badgie B-plot. I think they're doing the budding romance (maybe?) between Rutherford and D'Vana well. The first part of the holodeck adventure was fun to watch, as far as cartoon workplace science-fiction sitcom romances go.

And speaking of the holodeck--they didn't go all fancy-walls, like on Voyager. This is the standard black surface + yellow grid from TNG, making me think that it's just the older model of holodeck and the Cerritos has it because Starfleet is in no hurry to make that particular upgrade.

"In the TNG episode “The Nth Degree,” an alien probe enhanced Barclay’s intelligence, and eventually he used the holodeck to integrate himself into the ship’s computer to get even smarter."

also a fun callback (call forward? call current?) that this week in Raised By Wolves, a 'maternal' android plugs into to a computer-driven simulation interface even though every time she does it tells her, "Warning! Not intended for human interface".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

"In the TNG episode “The Nth Degree,” an alien probe enhanced Barclay’s intelligence, and eventually he used the holodeck to integrate himself into the ship’s computer to get even smarter."

also a fun callback (call forward? call current?) that this week in Raised By Wolves, a 'maternal' android plugs into to a computer-driven simulation interface even though every time she does it tells her, "Warning! Not intended for human interface".

Android interface because she is hooking into a simulation for humans.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, you can look at my posts and see where the hostility towards any particular person started. It was towards me by the way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Well, I wouldn't have thought it was possible to write someone wildly out of character in the same episode you introduce them, but they managed it. The plot required Fletcher to be a massively annoying fuckup, and also for no one to have ever noticed that before. He just goes from competent and well-liked to dumb and irritating for no reason. Boimler even says "all we do is back you up and all you do is lie", which suggests that, contrary to everything that's been indicated so far, this isn't even unusual for him.

It felt like Rutherford beating Badgey was also out of character, he really doesn't seem like the sort who'd get frustrated to the point of violence for any reason, even towards a holodeck character. It really feels like the writers come up with big funny climactic scenes and then they struggle creating the connective tissues to push the plot towards those ends so they just make up any old poo poo and call it a day.

Powered Descent posted:

Oh, absolutely. I was just saying that the ships they were comparing were Voyager and the Enterprise-D. (And now that I think about it, Rutherford rattling off holodeck characters from a half dozen different episodes IS probably a lot more blatant than that.)

See it's not just a comedy about Star Trek media, it's also a comedy about Star Trek culture and Star Trek fans to a certain degree. Boimler and Mariner are WAY more like certain types of ST fans than anything else - Boimler is that nerd who has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Trek lore and is super pedantic about everything, Mariner is like those fans who are super critical of 'modern' feelgood Trek but just can't let it go.

The references are fine. They're breaking the fourth wall to a certain extent but there's nothing wrong with that, they're a gentle nudge and a wink to the fans.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 13, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I can't answer that question because I don't get that particular cartoon. I mean, I realise that the snake has eaten a baby, but I don't find it amusing or understand why I'm supposed to. The snake seems to be looking with concern at the bottle; is that part of it? :shrug:

The joke is just that the snake crawled through the bars and ate the baby and now its stuck in the crib. It's funny because the snake ate the baby and is stuck in the crib. There's not much more to the joke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Super Deuce posted:

What take? That it makes sense for the character who is a fan of other pop culture things to references those things in his life? As opposed to a character having zero experience with what Geordi and Data did for leisure on a ship they weren’t part of? Like... one of these makes sense for a reference to be shown on screen. The other clearly doesn’t.

We aren’t Boimler, Mariner, etc. We are, however, Parsival. Boimler hasn’t seen all of Star Trek to make references to specific things only the viewer would know. Unlike the characters in Ready Player One who have literally seen Back to the Future so when they drive a DeLorean around it makes sense.

Legitimately don’t get how this is controversial at all. It’s basic story telling. Having motivation for what a character knows.

Arquinsiel posted:

You said "the viewer" not "the character". Then you contradicted yourself by saying that it was good when Ready Player One did it, but bad when Lower Decks did it.

Super Deuce was talking about diegetic vs non-diegetic references, it was a pretty simple point and it's honestly weird that so many people in the thread struggled to understand it.

(E: it's also part of what makes the show Rick-and-Morty-esque, they do fourth-wall-breaking gags on that show all the time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

it's honestly weird that so many people in the thread struggled to understand it.

this, except about why people don't like his posting, which has nothing to do with him not liking a star trek series, or the reasons why