Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Akuma posted:

It doesn't have the specs of current gen consoles, Jesus.

I mean I’m not qualified to say what’s better by comparing the specs, but from what I’ve read it’s better in some ways, but the One X can output 4K and on paper has better specs in a lot of ways, but the One X’s CPU isn’t as powerful as the Series S. I’ve also read a couple of articles that mentioned how the Series S won’t have the ‘boost mode’ capabilities that the One X has and also compared the two, so I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to compare it to the One X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Watching some of you poo poo your pants over the threat of a novelty cheapo xbox will be pretty funny in a year or two. I should bookmark this page.

Whether or not you end up right or wrong you are still being a gigantic dickhead right now

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

Everyone buying cyberpunk for series S will be playing the one S version until the next gen patch comes out sometime next year.

Microsoft confirmed that one X patches won't run on series S since it has less ram.

This is a very odd game of telephone.

Microsoft confirmed that the 4K patches for backwards compatible 360 Xbox games won’t run on series S which is the 1440p Xbox. This has nothing to do with what CDPR targets for Series S for their brand new game.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Akuma posted:

Yes. Microsoft maintain that if you're targeting 4k60 for the X, your game can hit 1080p on S with minimal effort. That's the line.

I mean as in, "all games ever made for the X must also run on the S, mandatory", is this explicit anywhere official? Or is it a 3DS / New 3DS sort of deal?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Storm One posted:

I mean as in, "all games ever made for the X must also run on the S, mandatory", is this explicit anywhere official? Or is it a 3DS / New 3DS sort of deal?
This may have to be one of those awkward situations where they're not being as explicit in public as they are in private so you may have to trust me on this one... if I get time today I'll see what's been officially announced.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Storm One posted:

It would be insane to do it that way.

The new 3ds came out later and was honestly barely a thing.

Having consoles that come out at the same time not do the same basic would be insane.

It may do it worse but it should still do it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I dont give a poo poo about the xbox series s. I will be buying a ps5 at some point and playing all the great games available for it and everything will be awesome

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

fridge corn posted:

I dont give a poo poo about the xbox series s. I will be buying a ps5 at some point and playing all the great games available for it and everything will be awesome

:hfive:

Wednesday can’t come soon enough.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

This is a very odd game of telephone.

Microsoft confirmed that the 4K patches for backwards compatible 360 Xbox games won’t run on series S which is the 1440p Xbox. This has nothing to do with what CDPR targets for Series S for their brand new game.

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xbox-series-s-wont-apply-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

Microsoft didn't say that's just for 360 games. It's anything on series S running under backwards compatibility, which includes Xbox one games like cyberpunk until the patch comes out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm so tempted to hold off playing Cyberpunk until the real PS5 patch comes out...

That loving Sned posted:

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xbox-series-s-wont-apply-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

Microsoft didn't say that's just for 360 games. It's anything on series S running under backwards compatibility, which includes Xbox one games like cyberpunk until the patch comes out.

My understanding for Cyberpunk specifically, is that it will have some improvements for next gen at launch (presumably in a next gen specific patch), but it's not getting official full next gen support until the "true" patch next year. Is that wrong? If it's not, I think the SS version will be different to the OX version.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 13, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Akuma posted:

This may have to be one of those awkward situations where they're not being as explicit in public as they are in private so you may have to trust me on this one... if I get time today I'll see what's been officially announced.
yeah we're in that awkward situation, keep in mind they never officially said that the Series S existed until the spec and price leak. after that all they've done is confirm it but haven't had a formal messaging strategy on what it brings to the table for consumers

Storm One posted:

The CPU and SSD alone take it way beyond XboneX, the RAM deficit is probably mitigated by the SSD (but it does impact back-compat). As for the GPU, it's not as clear if the better cores of the S make up for the more cores of the Bone but graphics are more than good enough already so :shrug:
you can't really mitigate low RAM via an SSD as the speeds are orders of magnitude different and there's latency penalties. as far as the GPU i didn't bother posting this in here but here's the spec comparison between Series S and Series X:

--
from Series X ($499 big xbox) to Series S ($299 small xbox) they go from:

CPU: 3.8GHz (3.6GHz w/ SMT) -> 3.6GHz (3.4GHz w/ SMT) (so cpu is a bit weaker)
GPU: 52 CUs at 1.825GHz -> 20 CUs at 1.565GHz (majorly gimped gpu)
GPU Power: 12.15 TFlops -> 4 TFlops (dumb measurement but architectural like for like at least)
Storage: 1TB -> 512GB (and removing the disc drive)
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 -> 10GB GGDR6 (significantly cut down)

But the RAM gets complicated now as for the Series X they're running the 16GB at 2 different speeds (10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s - 2.5GB held on the slower part for the OS). on the Series S it's 8GB at 224GB/s, 2GB at 56GB/s. Not quite sure how if they're just not reserving 2.5GB for the OS on the S model, but they're locking themselves down on feature parity at the OS-layer from the get-go. for context the ps5 has 16GB at 448GB/s with no segmentation

specs are from their announcement: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-launching-november-10/ (see https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/09/Tech-Specs-1.jpg)
--

the ram segmentation is just weird and as i mention the Series S seems to be locked to 7.5GB for the entire generation, unless they give it 0.5GB from system reserve. then you run into the issue of feature parity at the OS-layer between Series S and X

it's all a bit of a mess really

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CottonWolf posted:

I'm so tempted to hold off playing Cyberpunk until the real PS5 patch comes out...

My understanding for Cyberpunk specifically, is that it will have some improvements for next gen at launch (presumably in a next gen specific patch), but it's not getting official full next gen support until the "true" patch next year. Is that wrong? If it's not, I think the SS version will be different to the OX version.
Even if it was still running in so-called "One S" mode it would still have the better performance of the Series S to allow more stable performance and better dynamic resolution - if they build it that way, which they definitely will.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m just so surprised that Cyberpunk is actually coming out in November. I figured it would just be delayed again. Also it’s a little weird to me that it’s coming out around the same time as the new consoles but won’t be released for next gen until next year.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Why are people so caught up in hardware specs when Sony is likely going to have most of the top exclusive titles which is all that should really matter?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

infraboy posted:

Why are people so caught up in hardware specs when Sony is likely going to have most of the top exclusive titles which is all that should really matter?
Schadenfreude

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m just so surprised that Cyberpunk is actually coming out in November. I figured it would just be delayed again.

Don't worry, there's still time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I honestly don’t care that much about exclusives anymore and the Xbox is more fun to discuss while we wait to be disappointed on Wednesday.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm gonna wait to play any cross-gen games until I can play them on ps5. I've got enough of a backlog I think to keep me busy until then and if not I just bought fifa20 for £4.19 :shrug:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think the biggest thing holding next-gen consoles back is that we haven’t seen a major change to the fundamental design of the controller in over a decade. It’s time for a major change to the way we play these games.

Motion controls, double screens, kinect, VR, etc. It all comes back to controllers in the end. I guess most people are happy with as little interference between them and the game as possible in the long run, and that, for now, seems to be regular rear end controllers. And im glad.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I thought Wednesday was just going to be about the maybe the hardware, price and date but apparently it’s 40 min long and is going to have “updates” on Sony first party and other games.

fridge corn posted:

I'm gonna wait to play any cross-gen games until I can play them on ps5. I've got enough of a backlog I think to keep me busy until then and if not I just bought fifa20 for £4.19 :shrug:

I have so many PS4 games to still play it’s going to be awesome just plugging in my external drive.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

exquisite tea posted:

It's puzzling to me who or what the series S is for, since the selling point of 1440p/120hz gaming does not really jive with the specs whatsoever. You'll be lucky to hit 30fps on that machine, with current-gen games.

It's to get as many people onto the Xbox ecosystem as possible who feel that dropping >$400 on a console is too much. It'll appeal to students, parents with young kids, people that want to play on both Playstation and Xbox, etc. I don't think it's a bad plan business-wise for Microsoft but for devs that want to push the cutting edge of performance it kind of sucks.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

I thought Wednesday was just going to be about the maybe the hardware, price and date but apparently it’s 40 min long and is going to have “updates” on Sony first party and other games.

They’re going to tell us all about the Demons soul season pass

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The S could have a voodoo banshee and a bunch of snakes under the hood for all I care because Sony don't make games for it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Thom12255 posted:

It's to get as many people onto the Xbox ecosystem as possible who feel that dropping >$400 on a console is too much. It'll appeal to students, parents with young kids, people that want to play on both Playstation and Xbox, etc. I don't think it's a bad plan business-wise for Microsoft but for devs that want to push the cutting edge of performance it kind of sucks.

I mean it sounds great on paper but unless you already have an Xbox or don’t have a console at all are you really going to switch from Playstation to Xbox over a gimped console that’s $100 less and leave all your games and friends behind? I think this current gen was important to get as many people on your platform because going forward it’s going to be much easier to bring everything forward. Sony is still light years ahead on games. I think it’s great in concept but I don’t see it swaying a ton of people. Also a 512 GB all digital machine is hilariously small.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you can't really mitigate low RAM via an SSD as the speeds are orders of magnitude different and there's latency penalties. as far as the GPU i didn't bother posting this in here but here's the spec comparison between Series S and Series X

I wasn't comparing Series S and Series X, I was comparing Series S and Xbox One X.

I'm not a developer so I probably am way off mark about this but I presume most of the RAM is used up by assets and not so much "gameplay" code (basing this on complaints about PS3's split memory configuration, where devs wanted to use more than 256 MB for video RAM but couldn't vs. 360's unified memory pool), and that's where the SSD comes in, it makes having big parts of the game world loaded in RAM less critical because you can fetch those from the SSD fast enough. Hence the 8 GB of SS are effectively as good or better than the 12 GB BoneX.

The lack of RAM is very much real when comparing SS vs SX, since both have the SSD. As for how much it matters, no clue.

Based on nothing but speculation, if there turns out to be an impact on next-gen console game development from the lowest common denominator being Series S, hopefully it will only be a visual impact, with asset complexity toned down to fit the S's smaller RAM pool but gameplay complexity not affected since I assume gameplay code has a much smaller memory footprint than graphics.
With the CPUs being the same the net effect would be performance headroom for the PS5 and XSX versions. Same game, same graphic fidelity, higher/more stable framerates. As someone who doesn't give a poo poo about graphics, this outcome would be ideal.

So at worst it's the same as ever, one less powerful platform with significant market share (PS2, Wii, Switch) that devs can ignore if they don't want to :airquote: dumb down :airquote: their game; at best yay headroom :toot:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Motion controls, double screens, kinect, VR, etc. It all comes back to controllers in the end. I guess most people are happy with as little interference between them and the game as possible in the long run, and that, for now, seems to be regular rear end controllers. And im glad.

It’s about time controllers have more than just two thumb sticks. The d-pad is from an ancient era and has no role on next-gen controllers.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Thom12255 posted:

The cutting edge of performance scales along multiple axes, one of which is resolution. The S being a machine capable of the same features at a lower resolution encourages devs to make games that will scale along that axis. I don't think you'll find many games that couldn't do what they wanted because they had to target the S, they just won't be able max out the X at 1080p. Which might be a good thing depending on where you're coming from, like if you want devs to prioritize 4K gaming rather than spend all that power calculating realistic volumetric clouds or something. The lack of RAM on the S is the only thing that seems like it could have a major impact, but I also don't have enough info to know how that will affect things in the end. If it puts pressure on the devs to fit their assets working set into 10GB instead of 16GB, then I guess we'll probably see diminished asset quality to compensate. But if asset swapping is handled internally by the SDK or something and less RAM just mean more frequent swapping, then I guess the impact of that depends on the performance characteristics of the SSD.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 13, 2020

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, thanks. Didn't realise they were doing two separate patches.

I feel sorry for developers having to support 3 playstations, 4 Xboxes and PC at launch. Even worse for Treyarch having to make a brand new cod in only 2 years.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean if we’re not willing to listen to multiple devs who have voiced concerns over the RAM situation then this conversation is pointless. Especially in the PS4 thread where we talk about a system that has actual games.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s about time controllers have more than just two thumb sticks. The d-pad is from an ancient era and has no role on next-gen controllers.

To satisfy the people that have more than two thumbs?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

infraboy posted:

Has Microsoft explicitly said that this console will not slap my mom? If they haven’t I can’t rule it out and thus

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Attitude Indicator posted:

To satisfy the people that have more than two thumbs?

Uhhhh I have 10 fingers give me 10 finger sticks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair it wouldnt be a gaming thread if the posters in it didn’t think they know more than the actual guys developing for it

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

D-pad is for navigating menues. Only bad people use analogs in menues

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

D-pad is far superior for 2d platformers like hollow knight/celeste etc, gently caress trying to play those kinda games with a thumbstick. Also, fighting games (if you don't use a stick)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Playstation

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Are you sure of that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

[citation needed]

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
how much do we think the playstation 6 will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

how much do we think the playstation 6 will be.

4 billion yen