Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=27251&d=414509&f=LE In fact here is a list from a very good deck that plays goyfs but no Uros

How can a deck be good with no uros

Whenever someone is watching a game, they should be saying "where's Uro?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The look on LSV's face when Nassif landed that Witch's Oven was loving amazing.

he straight up extended his hand to his screen to shake for the gg

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bust Rodd posted:

Magic E-sports Twitter is going weird

They posted a clip of lsv eating a burrito during the tournament to Reddit, I believe they are, as the kids say: "Groovy Hepcats who are Down With The Sickness"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

"I spent all of August rescuing this kitten to throw it into an oven!" :monar:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Nassif playing out of his mind today, not a fan of the Jund Sac deck but I can appreciate its purity

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait are people referring to luis salvatto as LSV? Because I think that moniker is taken

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GoutPatrol posted:

How can a deck be good with no uros

Whenever someone is watching a game, they should be saying "where's Uro?"
(Uro was banned on his way back to his home plane)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, actual LSV lost to YellowHat because they were both fully loaded on board with no sac outlets. Gabe topdecks an Oven and you can watch LSV’s soul exit his body through his face, it owns

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Klowner posted:

I assume this is all on twitch? What's the channel name

magic

here's the vod for gab/lsv:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737939830?t=114m

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bust Rodd posted:

The look on LSV's face when Nassif landed that Witch's Oven was loving amazing.

Nassif’s draws were just nuts all day. I kind of hope Salvatto makes it all the way back for a rematch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/smdster/status/1304604239490998273?s=21

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The four colours of Magic are in pretty good balance.

I hope Party works out into a viable deck, because it'll almost certainly include white.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
white: i want to be competitively viable

[looks at pile of aggressive 1 drops]

white: no wait go back

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Just reprint Swords to Plowshares and that might be broken enough removal to keep Uro in check. Might.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
paaaaack kraken

a factory case of VIP packs, the box toppers laid out in order of opening per inner case. Imagine getting the 4 pulls on the left if you bought a single case of VIP packs. An earlier opening, pulled Goblin Guide + Lightning Greaves twice in a row from the same inner case, I'd hate the little bastard but he's also hidden a force of will before, so it's not always dire behind the guide.

also opened a box of japanese war of the spark, and boy do I wish those Lilis were swapped. the artwork on the anime planeswalkers is largely phenomenal, I really like a lot of them more than the fairly samey style most of the WotS planeswalkers have. A drat shame they never got english versions.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Getting a playset of brainstorms from a case of VIP packs feels bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, I really wouldn't mind the prevalence of stuff like brainstorm and lightning greaves and expedition map if it was simply "1 mythic + 1 other every time". That's how they should've done it in the first place and they'd also have avoided the whole false advertising controversy, but instead they get that AND set people up to get super hosed with meddling mage + phyrexian metamorph, or the infamous goblin guide + expedition map, or upscaled common/uncommon + tron land. though tron lands at least hold SOME value.

edit: here's a fun little wrinkle. Sold a borderless foil to someone, it had been sleeved + toploadered right out of the pack. They messaged me saying that it had "been damaged in transit" and want to return it for a refund, claiming it was bent. I asked for a photo and they sent me one with it in a penny sleeve and beginning to pringle(not bent like if it got mangled in transit). Do I take the fall for this, or what? Not sure there was anything I could do beyond the sleeve + toploader to prevent a foil from curling. I honestly didn't think VIP borderless foils could pringle, none of the ones I still have from the first openings have curled even a little bit, so I figured they had fixed that poo poo.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A kind goon mailed me a card that was in double sleeved and put into a top loader, then it was taped between two pieces of cardboard and then that was put into a bubble mailer. The card basically cannot move in those conditions and it would be virtually impossible for it to be bent through the mail.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bust Rodd posted:

A kind goon mailed me a card that was in double sleeved and put into a top loader, then it was taped between two pieces of cardboard and then that was put into a bubble mailer. The card basically cannot move in those conditions and it would be virtually impossible for it to be bent through the mail.

It can still bend, but it would require a very negligent amount of effort.

This is also the a very easy method of shipping and if I have the cardboard available, the one I always use.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, I really wouldn't mind the prevalence of stuff like brainstorm and lightning greaves and expedition map if it was simply "1 mythic + 1 other every time". That's how they should've done it in the first place and they'd also have avoided the whole false advertising controversy, but instead they get that AND set people up to get super hosed with meddling mage + phyrexian metamorph, or the infamous goblin guide + expedition map, or upscaled common/uncommon + tron land. though tron lands at least hold SOME value.

edit: here's a fun little wrinkle. Sold a borderless foil to someone, it had been sleeved + toploadered right out of the pack. They messaged me saying that it had "been damaged in transit" and want to return it for a refund, claiming it was bent. I asked for a photo and they sent me one with it in a penny sleeve and beginning to pringle(not bent like if it got mangled in transit). Do I take the fall for this, or what? Not sure there was anything I could do beyond the sleeve + toploader to prevent a foil from curling. I honestly didn't think VIP borderless foils could pringle, none of the ones I still have from the first openings have curled even a little bit, so I figured they had fixed that poo poo.

He who buys foils buy pringles. It is known. Tell him to get bent.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

all their other foils pringle but I thought these would be different because

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Until they change their manufacturing process, foils are worthless.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: here's a fun little wrinkle.

It probably depends on where you sold it. If it's eBay, you're screwed because I'm pretty sure they're going to side with the buyer every time. If it's just a personal transaction from goons or facebook or something, tell them to get as bent as the foil -- they all pringle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Reik posted:

Until they change their manufacturing process, foils are worthless.

Isn't this one of the main reasons they are trying out this weird new foiling process from that other card game?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Shrecknet posted:

So in the mid-range between aggro and control then :downs:

Meanwhile no one is talking about the best kind of deck, Prison!

Every time a Smokestack is sleeved up, Ken Nagle cries.
Not gonna lie, every card they reveal (especially artifacts or white) I look through the lens of looking for Prison again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Staxx/Prison decks are just Tempo/Control decks that use permanents instead of instants, I don’t think of them as being their own thing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

yet when you could Teferi, Hero of Dominance loop someone out of the game, everybody gnashed their teeth and cried to the heavens

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

oh sorry i thought you were asking an honest question, my bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uggy posted:

Ask a better question then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don't be assholes to someone new to the thread who asks a question, even if you think the question shows some degree of ignorance. It costs nothing to be reasonably nice and if you can't do that, it also costs nothing to just not reply.

Yawgmoth posted:

Maybe a new person in the thread should read the past page or two before asking an incredibly vague question.

The previous page or two did not address the user's question, even though it included some discussion of midrange.

flatluigi posted:

I know people are desperately trying to go 'these OTHER "shrieking baboons" are the terrible posters in this thread, not me' but to be clear what happened was that immediately after a conversation about 'how midrange sucks and is awful and i can't believe people wanted it to be back' someone did come in with what appeared to be an honest question, but when I asked for more information (because I was going to answer them honestly) they responded with calling midrange 'a new archetype' & that just felt like moving onto a shitpost in line with the bunch of shitposts that were already happening. it's not fun to spend time and energy on someone who just wanted to take a dump on the thread and move on, and this thread has had too many people do that over the months i've been reading it

This is a paranoid and unreasonable stance to take based on the posts that had been made. Additionally, if you genuinely suspect someone of trolling, just report their post and move on.

PleasantDirge posted:

As soon as you catch me telling anyone to be nice, you have a point there doofus.

Don't have slapfights with your posting enemies in the thread please.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
So with all the crab love in the new set is crab deck a thing? It should be because we ain't never getting enough cephalopods or spooders

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ungulateman posted:

white: i want to be competitively viable

[looks at pile of aggressive 1 drops]

white: no wait go back

i ate a ton of absolute poo poo this way when my cat+ soldier+angel token army ran into a massacre worm that my opponent flickered.

e: not even mad about it, just impressed and how far i got neutralized

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bust Rodd posted:

Isn't this one of the main reasons they are trying out this weird new foiling process from that other card game?

Very likely but corporations don’t admit mistakes they sell new and improved products!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dpulex posted:

So with all the crab love in the new set is crab deck a thing? It should be because we ain't never getting enough cephalopods or spooders

the 0/17? nah it's meme tier

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I think they're trying it simply because the manufacturer is offering it. Whenever someone else innovates they will at least experiment with taking advantage of it but I seriously doubt wotc is the driver of much of it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also wotc has just abandoned today's finals stream for the invitational due to technical difficulties that they couldn't resolve after 3 hours of delays. Yikes.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also wotc has just abandoned today's finals stream for the invitational due to technical difficulties that they couldn't resolve after 3 hours of delays. Yikes.

lol they actually abandoned it? What a fitting end for an event with such a terrible stream, WotC needs to get their act together because it's pretty sad when the secondary language restreams have been sitting there for hours and someone like Jeff Hoogland can run a better tournament than you.

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1305222614105747457

Looks like they're just going to record matches and show them later.

moush fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 13, 2020

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That sucks. I was really enjoying the event and it seemed well-positioned to bring more people into historic. This is a joke.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

moush posted:

lol they actually abandoned it? What a fitting end for an event with such a terrible stream, WotC needs to get their act together because it's pretty sad when the secondary language restreams have been sitting there for hours and someone like Jeff Hoogland can run a better tournament than you.

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1305222614105747457

Looks like they're just going to record matches and show them later.

Honestly this might be better cause at least the recordings wont be plagued with technical problems...right?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Banner year for sales and growth of the game but somehow they still can't figure out how to properly broadcast or even publicize the handful of marquee events that haven't been cancelled. Just amazing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They should hire the folks who ran SGDQ 2020. That was a loving masterclass in crazy multi-source streaming.

Hell, one of the sound mixers was a Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Given their main switchboard is likely in the greater Seattle area and and that the PNW is literally on fire right now i am willing to cut them some slack here.