Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I looked at those container ships years ago but it turned out to be extremely expensive because of the time it would've taken. But more importantly I would have needed to take another month unpaid just to travel to my destination. Just wasn't feasible. But in Rente (haha), sure. Getting shown the machinery, telling the young folks how to do their work I know nothing about, sounds like a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

GhostDog posted:

I looked at those container ships years ago but it turned out to be extremely expensive because of the time it would've taken. But more importantly I would have needed to take another month unpaid just to travel to my destination. Just wasn't feasible. But in Rente (haha), sure. Getting shown the machinery, telling the young folks how to do their work I know nothing about, sounds like a good time.

I hope your Malay is not too rusty by then.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

For the first two days maybe. Being stuck on a industrial ship for weeks sounds awful. Especially once it turns out that there's an infection in the crew.
I highly recommend the film Sea Fever, a smallish, Irish horror film about this. It doesn't have jump scares, it's about claustrophobia and the inevitability of death.

Zwille posted:

Sweden! Portugal also is one hell of a ride. And Warsaw.
How would you get to Portugal? I love the country, but that sound like a 3-day trip.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hidden bonus: If you manage to survive your industrial see voyage, you can point that out in your CV if you ever want to take a job in Antarctica. :v:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Einbauschrank posted:

Who needs to know anything when we have technology.

Turun dari rumput saya!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

GhostDog posted:

Who needs to know anything when we have technology.

Turun dari rumput saya!

rumputku*

shaking my smh head

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Cingulate posted:

How would you get to Portugal? I love the country, but that sound like a 3-day trip.

Yep! :v:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

You mean Tagalog or Cebuano.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

DTurtle posted:

You mean Tagalog or Cebuano.

Indeed, I thought people from the whole region were famous for crewing ships. But apparently no one holds a candle to the Philippines. That's really impressive:
https://safety4sea.com/cm-three-reasons-why-filipino-seafarers-are-the-happiest-crew/

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yup, 75 - 80% of ship crews worldwide are Filipinos (and roughly a third of ship officers, which really surprised me).

The Philippines has a huge amount of expats working worldwide - somewhere around 10% of the population.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol at cingulate eating a 3 day prob for phrenology. are physiological differences between average asians and europeans controversial now?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
He'll never measure the head of a major corporation.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The variation between an asian and a caucasian (if such things even exist) has to be pretty neglible when compared to the variations within said groups. Especially variations that are relevant to this application (an adjustable elastic band).

To be fair though, he was absolutely not talking about phrenology, that is a different thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GhostDog posted:

The variation between an asian and a caucasian (if such things even exist) has to be pretty neglible when compared to the variations within said groups. Especially variations that are relevant to this application (an adjustable elastic band).

To be fair though, he was absolutely not talking about phrenology, that is a different thing.

He ate a probe a few years ago for actual, legit "race has an impact on IQ" phrenology.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Oh ok I've not been following the thread this long. If this is where he's coming from... eewww

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

He ate a probe a few years ago for actual, legit "race has an impact on IQ" phrenology.

As Cingulate is a Moronite from planet Idioticon 6, he was probably projecting very hard.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

And yet he manages to monetize his humanities education while I’m struggling, so who’s the moron ultimately, one has to wonder

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
If you love your wife and vice versa, you def have a leg up.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Mithaldu posted:

But can love buy a third balcony? :smug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

RabbitWizard posted:

But can love buy a third balcony? :smug:

But can love bloom on the battlefield balcony?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Drone posted:

But can love bloom on the battlefield balcony?

Liebesapfel

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

loving hell :D

I’m only renting those balconies though

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Mithaldu posted:

Kinky.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
:haw:

what's the maximum stack for balconies anyhow? :3: How appropriate. :)

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

If you love your concubine and vice versa, you def have a leg up.

FTFY. You've got to remain available for potential strategic marriages with other houses.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

SRF posted:

FTFY. You've got to remain available for potential strategic marriages with other houses.

This is not the crusader kings thread

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So our neighbor down here in Germany is flying this piece of poo poo from their flagpole.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rahmenlos-Original-Design-Flag-Vikings/dp/B07BFWY5NM

At least we know exactly the kind of shitstain he is.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

KozmoNaut posted:

So our neighbor down here in Germany is flying this piece of poo poo from their flagpole.
Someone in my Kaff has a confederate flag in their garden and I always wonder wtf is wrong with them.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

RabbitWizard posted:

Someone in my Kaff has a confederate flag in their garden and I always wonder wtf is wrong with them.

Not being on fire right now, for starters.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

KozmoNaut posted:

Does this flag have some dodgy symbols/runes on it? IDGI

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

elbkaida posted:

Does this flag have some dodgy symbols/runes on it? IDGI

If you Google the phrasing on it, you get sites with names like Wehrmacht1945 selling it. On ebay, the guy selling it also has sells kriegsflagge and pegida poo poo. Also it's clearly not asatru stuff, it's machi bullshit alt-right appropriation if viking symbolism.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

If you Google the phrasing on it, you get sites with names like Wehrmacht1945 selling it. On ebay, the guy selling it also has sells kriegsflagge and pegida poo poo. Also it's clearly not asatru stuff, it's machi bullshit alt-right appropriation if viking symbolism.

1945 wasn‘t the best year for the Wehrmacht, tbh.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Kölner Verkehrsbetriebe are now doing "funny" Durchsagen re: Maskenpflicht. One starts "Hier spricht Carolin Kebekus", one ends "Eure Gaby Köster", and one goes, in its entirety: "Liebe kölsche Mättsche, liebe kölsche Jonge: mir wolle diesen Virus nischt / un darom is hier Maskenpflischt". Given that the other two are Promidurchsagen, I must assume that the third one is also some local legend and I'm supposed to recognize him by his voice. The people here have sickening amounts of brain damage

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Ah wait, it's Peter Brings. It's on the website. He's in a band called Brings.

e: Stadionsprecher Michael Trippel werden alle FC-Fans sofort erkennen, denn wie im Stadion spricht er auch in der KVB von "der schönsten Stadt Deutschlands". hmmm

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RabbitWizard posted:

Heritage, not hate ... wait ... no ... gently caress

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Okay, avoid Cologne ÖPNV for a while, got it. :tipshat:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

KozmoNaut posted:

The flag is 100% something that somebody could end up buying if they search "cool viking flag" on amazon though. Obviously there is a large overlap between viking fans and rightwing idiots but I wouldn't be comfortable jumping to that conclusion purely based on this particular flag. A lot of people simply aren't going to think twice about buying something like that in my experience.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

KozmoNaut posted:

You should fight him

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

elbkaida posted:

The flag is 100% something that somebody could end up buying if they search "cool viking flag" on amazon though. Obviously there is a large overlap between viking fans and rightwing idiots but I wouldn't be comfortable jumping to that conclusion purely based on this particular flag. A lot of people simply aren't going to think twice about buying something like that in my experience.

When he isn't flying the viking macho flag, he's flying the bundesland flag 24/7. And according to my girlfriend's mom, he is a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

RabbitWizard posted:

I've seen those crop up quite a bit in Schrebergärten and stuff, in my experience it's 99% people who grew up on Karl May and Lucky Luke and who for some reason connect the Confederate Flag with their idealised version of the Old West. If I had to guess, most of them have no idea about the history behind that flag. Sadly, quite a few also wouldn't care because they didn't know about that before and if you hung up a flag in good faith there's no reason to take it off again, right?

fake edit: A couple years back I think I posted a picture I snapped in Vienna itt which showed a confederate-themed Festivalstand of the Viennese Country-Musik-Club. I very much doubt that any of the club members connect the flag with anything more than "cowboys riding into the sunset" or "Indians circling a wagon until the cavalry comes to save the day" or "a wizened Apache chieftain saying 'Howgh'". Which, you know, is wildly stereotypical and pretty far removed from reality but at least it's not "plantation slavery is actually cool & good"