Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I like that they seem to have toned down the insane amount of janky spikes and poo poo they were sticking all over the plague marines there for a while. A lot of newer GW models are so busy that they aren't even really fun to paint and just kinda look like indistinct jumbles of color.

I'm having a really hard time getting settled on a paint scheme, and the extra bones and tentacles and everything sure do make it tough to pull something together that I like

this is my latest WIP;

Need to grunge it up a bit more. Or rather, need to look up How To Weather :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

This is technically very impressive, but why exactly are you going through the effort? It was my impression that shoulder pads and heads were the same scale between the two ranges and completely interchangeable. I could see if you wanted to do this with the vanguard heads or something, which are noticeably different, but to my eyes you have successfully converted a primaris helmet into a very passable copy of an old helmet.

Why not just use old heads on the new guys, basically?

Two reasons, on reasonable and one loving crazy.

1) The reasonable reason is that if I can make the grill helmets out of thermoplastic, Intercessor helms, and green stuff, then I don't need a source for tactical squad helmets to keep doing it; I can just use modified versions of the heads that come with the Primaris kits. Seeing as how I only have one more tactical squad in-box, I don't particularly want to raid it for all its helmets and then have to go to eBay to get more of them.

2) The loving crazy reason, also known as "the real reason," is that I am in the painting and sculpting of Space Marines because I enjoy navigating the lavishly, indulgently established visual design language of the Adeptus Astartes, and the scalloped ear covers are a universal feature of all Primaris helmets. I'm trying to create the impression of a legitimate in-universe gear variant that could plausibly be part of Cawl's supply chain, albeit one that GW hasn't put on-camera. My plan is to use these on Carcharodons, and while I've done two test Carcharodons using standard Intercessor helmets, for the actual army I want that upside-down Jaws smile; at the same time, my take on Carcharodons is that they are profoundly unsentimental, and while gear they've had to keep running for thousands of years will have accumulated ornamentation, their new Primaris gear is relatively stock (this is mostly to keep me from going down the same goddamn rabbit-hole I went down on acquiring Raven Guard kitbash bits), so I want them to be wearing stuff that looks like it's off the rack. Off the rack Primaris helmets all have that silhouette with those ear scallops, so these need to have those. Tl;dr 'cuz I wanna.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cooked Auto posted:

They finally, FINALLY announced the Imperial Armor Compendium. So FW units finally get 9th edition rules. Which includes new rules for Kriegers.
As well as some other units, Ork Warboss on a bike makes a return in this book.

Oh my God, it's actually real.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Stephenls posted:

Testing creation of Mark X Tacticus helms with Mantilla-pattern breather grills, created using thermoplastic impression of Tactical Squad helmet and regular Intercessor/Hellblaster helms that had their faces cut down a bit.

Did the one on the left first, and it's by far the best. Doing these is tricky. Also, I should have chosen smoother paints for the detail-revealing zenithal coat, since this gritty texture created by the Vallejo primer makes it look rougher than it is. Still, being able to do helmets that adhere to the visual language of the Primaris line while using the old scowly grills is nice.

Have you done write-ups about the process you use to create these? This seems super interesting and I'd love to know more about how you did it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Communist Walrus posted:

Have you done write-ups about the process you use to create these? This seems super interesting and I'd love to know more about how you did it.

I used "blue stuff"/thermoplastic heated in a cup of boiling water to create an impression of the grill on the front of a Mark VII Tactical Marine helmet, and then I cut down the grills on the fronts of some Intercessor helmets, and then I stuck a dot of green stuff that I'd mixed and let sit for about fifteen to twenty minutes on each of the spots where their face grills had been, and then I used the thermoplastic impression of the tactical marine helmet grill to imprint the shape of the Mark VII helmet grill on the front of the Intercessor helmets. And then I fiddled with it until they were angled right and not crooked, and then I used a silicone sculpting tool whetted with water from the cup (which had cooled down by that point) to make the edges of the green stuff match less conspicuously with the helmet plastic. I did them one at a time, not all at once. Took maybe 45 minutes, fifteen minutes of which was dicking around and then deciding to do a third one instead of stopping at two. I suspect I could do another five if them in about a half-hour if I wanted to, but on the other hand they’re a pain in the rear end because it really is tricky to get them not looking tilted or crooked, and I keep wanting to go back and do better thermoplastic impressions in the hope they’ll make it easier, so I’d probably keep doing them one at a time instead of in groups, which would make them take longer.

Also there was a failed attempt where I tried to take impressions of the sides of Intercessor helmets and imprint those on the classic helmets, but that didn't work.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 13, 2020

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That’s an interesting method. I have set myself up with a similar task so huge and daunting I have left it for nearly two years. I hadn’t thought of putting green stuff on the mini before pushing into the impression, but I can’t quite imagine if it would be easier than what I’m doing.

I kitbashed a High Elf blood bowl team out of Elven Union models and WHFB High Elf heads, which looks excellent and was the easy part. I decided that removing the faces from the knee pads was necessary to complete the transition from Pro to High Elf so I started shaving the kneepads down and used blue stuff provided by a goon to make moulds of an appropriately sized and styled knee piece from another mini.

I completed the process for one model, which involved shaving the excess and depth off the new kneepad pieces so it was thin and flexible enough to conform to the shaved bits on the model’s knees. I think it worked pretty well, but I have to do this for another 17 or 18 models and I haven’t been able to summon the will to do it yet!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Speaking of Death Guard, wtf why did they discontinue the easy-build Plague Marines? I was gonna pick some up when I finally stopped being broke for Kill Team and the models look way better than the regular plague marine box. Why is this company so full of dumb assholes.

Sab669 posted:

I'm having a really hard time getting settled on a paint scheme, and the extra bones and tentacles and everything sure do make it tough to pull something together that I like

this is my latest WIP;

Need to grunge it up a bit more. Or rather, need to look up How To Weather :)

Dig that armor, makes him look like a bottle fly.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 13, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Maneck posted:

Are Librarian Dreadnoughts going to be a thing for all Chapters now in all games, or just in Crusade games?

I hope so, they're rad and I want one with Technomancy

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Speaking of Death Guard, wtf why did they discontinue the easy-build Plague Marines? I was gonna pick some up when I finally stopped being broke for Kill Team and the models look way better than the regular plague marine box. Why is this company so full of dumb assholes.

I have a theory on that, which goes like this: GW wants the majority of the Easy to Build models they sell to fit on the Start Here shelf of GW stores, which have limited space, and they want that shelf to be unthreatening and unconfusing to people who walk to the Start Here shelf because they're starting, which means matching the factions in their starter kits. So, now that the starting factions are Space Marines and Necrons instead of Space Marines and Death Guard, and now that the Space Marines they're pushing are the close combat guys, they don't want Easy to Build Illegal Three-Guy Intercessor Squad and Easy to Build Death Guard to crowd out their new Easy to Build Necron Warriors and Easy to Build Assault Intercessors, which, at this point, I suspect are just going to be the Assault Intercessors and Necron Warriors (and probably the Skorpekh Destroyers and Outriders) from the 9e starter kits.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 13, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

I have a theory on that, which goes like this: GW wants the majority of the Easy to Build models they sell to fit on the Start Here shelf of GW stores, which have limited space, and they want that shelf to be unthreatening and unconfusing to people who walk to the Start Here shelf because they're starting, which means matching the factions in their starter kits. So, now that the starting factions are Space Marines and Necrons instead of Space Marines and Death Guard, and now that the Space Marines they're pushing are the close combat guys, they don't want Easy to Build Illegal Three-Guy Intercessor Squad and Easy to Build Death Guard to crowd out their new Easy to Build Necron Warriors and Easy to Build Assault Intercessors, which, at this point, I suspect are just going to be the Assault Intercessors and Necron Warriors (and probably the Skorpekh Destroyers and Outriders) from the 9e starter kits.

I don't know Marines, but they have a three-guy Intercessor group in the paint kit, don't they?

And yeah, my LGS owner had a First Strike box set that he sold me for cheap when I told him I wanted some Primaris for my daughter to paint. The Death Guard Marines in it are really good sculpts. I wish there were more Easy to Build models for more factions.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know Marines, but they have a three-guy Intercessor group in the paint kit, don't they?

Yeah. New sculpts, too.

...with sculpted-on Ultramarine icons for some reason. Kinda hoping those don’t make it out of the paint kit.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Psyber Spine posted:

Looking good! Would it be worth having some articles about questions that frequently pop up in the thread like airbrushes and transporting miniatures?

At the very least, I think it's worth linking to some. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good resources?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stephenls posted:

Yeah. New sculpts, too.

...with sculpted-on Ultramarine icons for some reason. Kinda hoping those don’t make it out of the paint kit.

That's the #value of having "unique sculpts in the intro to paint kit"

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Carcharodon test #2 done and based.

Obligatory comparison photo:

I think I'm going to do something completely different with the base next time. Not sure what. This isn't working for me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Stephenls posted:

That's pretty loving great, love the weathering.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

I love your greys, the warm set a smidge more than the cool ones. Did you layer or drybrush them?

For the bases maybe painting them in a contrasting colour would help make them stand out more? As it is grey/black bases with grey marines makes them look unfinished. Orange might be good with the warm grey scheme?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Second having mars red sand as a base for the grey Marines.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I would actually be tempted to see if you can get water onto their bases somehow. Like maybe a beach theme.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Some sort of desert was exactly what I was going to suggest, doing it like a beach could be really fun. A mars/orange theme would be fantastic also, you need some sort of contrast with the miniature since they have very little distinct color.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Stephenls posted:

I think I'm going to do something completely different with the base next time. Not sure what. This isn't working for me.

You need a warm color for the base, so both above suggestions are good- anything from red to tan to even a yellow.

If you go with mars red, I'd recommend using an Agrax or even Sepia wash and keep away from Nuln or Crimson. If you want sand and water to give a tongue-and-cheek play on the name, I'd also suggest the same washes. You can work on water if you wanted using Realistic Water and smudging up waves. Vallejo also makes a neat water mix that can be sculpted as well.

An easy mode that I do with white scars is to use the standard blighted tundra. It goes well with lighter neutral tones.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd recommend a red or flesh wash over the base just to give it a subtle warm tone, maybe with orange rust patches?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do a beach base with little red crabs, algae, starfish, etc

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A red Mars base would look great!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

40k's beach episode starring the Space Sharks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Instead of a red helmet, the sergeant for the squad gets the white zinc stuff on their nose and red shorts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's my plan for my marines. I need more tiny animals to accompany the skulls

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Instead of a red helmet, the sergeant for the squad gets the white zinc stuff on their nose and red shorts

Finally a good use for the Wulfen models.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am pretty happy with my take on the Canoptek Reanimator. :toot:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

In the spirit of being the change you want to see in the world, I'm working on a new thread, having gotten SRM and TheChirurgeon's blessing. Right now it's largely just a rehash of SRM's original post, just with some 9e updates:

Thoughts on things to change? New links that should be added? Someone earlier mentioned maybe redoing the bit on the black library section.

I added in some links to Goonhammer articles on starting painting and airbrushing. If anyone has a good article somewhere that talks about transporting one's army, that would also be a good addition.

Last thing before I get ready to post this puppy: How do people feel about the army quotes? I know Kitchner is not a fan, but I want to hear some other opinions too.

EDIT: Booley pointed out that I don't actually have permission from anyone to use their armies in the new thread, so I'm just going to remove the banners for now. We can add 'em back in as we create new ones.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 13, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think anyone reading an overly verbose Iron Hands quote (or whatever) is going to close their browser and forever decide that 40k isn't for them. They'd just scroll down to whatever faction interests them.

I was happy to see my OG Deathguard models in the OP! I didn't have any expectation that they'd exclusively appear in only the 8e thread - I'd be surprised if anyone would object to their banner appearing in the 9e one.

(That said, the range has been revamped a bit since I had to convert my own terminators with washers, greenstuff, and monopose plastic heads. It would be great to see everybody put up new army glamour shots.)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The bigger issue is with people who've left SA and might not want their images getting reused. Plus, it gives us a chance to add in our new stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That makes sense, and there are fewer things I enjoy more in a thread than when it goes full show & tell for a few pages.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah, people who are active can always say we are fine to use their old photo for the banners. On the other hand the people who originally said the images could be used in the banners in the OP have given permission to use the images in the banner image, which in turn you've been given permission to use.

So as long as they are still credited I don't really see why we would need to remove pictures if there's an army we are missing. I dont think that will be the case though as we can probably rustle up a photo of each faction between us and people we know.

As for the army quotes I just think a punchier description of stuff and a link to where they can read more about the lore and rules is my preference, but I honestly think whoever is putting the effort in to making the OP should just do these things, because there's no pleasing everyone.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

JackMann posted:

I added in some links to Goonhammer articles on starting painting and airbrushing. If anyone has a good article somewhere that talks about transporting one's army, that would also be a good addition.

Last thing before I get ready to post this puppy: How do people feel about the army quotes? I know Kitchner is not a fan, but I want to hear some other opinions too.

EDIT: Booley pointed out that I don't actually have permission from anyone to use their armies in the new thread, so I'm just going to remove the banners for now. We can add 'em back in as we create new ones.
I like the army quotes, they're partially why I got into AdMech in the first place :) On a slightly related note, might it be a good idea to list which books you need, in order to be up to date with your army? GeeDubs has been making GBS threads out a lot of books lately, and the PA books don't exactly have to most descriptive titles.

e: Missed the part where you mentioned which army gets which PA book, but a complete list would still be nice.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 13, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, people who are active can always say we are fine to use their old photo for the banners. On the other hand the people who originally said the images could be used in the banners in the OP have given permission to use the images in the banner image, which in turn you've been given permission to use.

So as long as they are still credited I don't really see why we would need to remove pictures if there's an army we are missing. I dont think that will be the case though as we can probably rustle up a photo of each faction between us and people we know.

As for the army quotes I just think a punchier description of stuff and a link to where they can read more about the lore and rules is my preference, but I honestly think whoever is putting the effort in to making the OP should just do these things, because there's no pleasing everyone.

Because since then the forums have turned out to owned by someone who beats his wife, and people are no longer happy to be related to SA. Also, there generally is no transient property of usage rights. People said their images could be used by SRM to create banners for an 8th edition OP, not that they could be used in banners in any 40k thread on SA until the end of time.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Booley posted:

Because since then the forums have turned out to owned by someone who beats his wife, and people are no longer happy to be related to SA. Also, there generally is no transient property of usage rights. People said their images could be used by SRM to create banners for an 8th edition OP, not that they could be used in banners in any 40k thread on SA until the end of time.

People said someone could use their images to create a new image, a banner containing parts of several images. The owner of that new piece of work has then given permission to Jack to re-use those banners. If the old photographs were just used then you'd have a point, but they are not, they are part of a new creation, created using elements which the creator was given permission to use.

Ultimately I'm not making the OP so it's not up to me, but there's no problem with using the old banners in a new OP. Maybe a court could rule this wasn't transformative enough to give it an exemption under copyright law, but there's no way of you or I knowing that for sure (I obviously think it is transformative) and I doubt anyone is going to sue.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 13, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Arguing in favor of being deliberately inconsiderate isn't a good look

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up the Judiciar earlier today!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The fact you're both getting so het up about other people's photos, people I'd bet you've not even spoken to as a weird hypothetical situation where there are people who desperately don't want us to use a picture of their model in a new OP but aren't going to post here to say so (or to ask for it to be removed from the current banner) is pretty funny.

I mean I know I said it so automatically you're going to say the opposite and then come up with some bullshit insults again, but really try a bit harder.

People gave permission for those photos to be used because they presumably liked other people here (as in users here in this thread, not the piece of poo poo who owns the site) to see photos of their work and be in the OP. The fact I think we don't need to remove them just because of some weird hypothetical you've come up with isn't inconsiderate, I want to continue showing off their work unless there's an active poster with a photo instead.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think it's really telling that you just get performatively mad about an unprovable hypothetical person that agrees with you instead of actually defending that what you're doing isn't deliberately inconsiderate.

Almost as if that's correct.

EDIT: this thread sucks and you're most of the reason for that.