Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cafe Barbarian posted:

I pretty much learned to read a book by reading the Hobbit with my mom. I thought that I read Piers Anthony back in the day but it turned out it was this book Master of the Five Magics by Lyndon Hardy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics
Which I remember being a pretty good story. Don't know why I though it was Anthony.

from wikipedia: "The song "Five Magics" by Megadeth was inspired by this book"

I remember that book, mostly vague on the story but the more systematic approach to magic stuck with me. I didn't realize there was a series of those books - looking at the titles it's possible I read the second and was underwhelmed enough to drop it, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if Piers Anthony is as open to fans as he claims, someone should really ask him what the gently caress was with that chunk of Firefly with the pedophile, and see if it was just edgy mental flatulence or if he was actually completely serious

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

sebmojo posted:

Just thinking about that 'taur

his name was the maulotaur cause i guess he was a minotaur who mauled you

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mods change my name to Tyler Do'Urden

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

They tried to warn you by naming it "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" but you didn't listen.

gently caress

sebmojo posted:

1e dmg is basically outsider art

this is variously more accurate than I could have come up with and holy poo poo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

juggalo baby coffin posted:

his name was the maulotaur cause i guess he was a minotaur who mauled you

tch maxotaur was right there

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I think I'm lucky because I'm completely unable to do anything besides take every word at face value on anything i read.

I knew very early that i didn't have any interest in good books and only liked to read stupid trash that required no thought or effort so when you couple that with what you might think of as "fundamental gullibility" it makes me quite able to enjoy the most awful books and also elevates something like riftwar or belgariad into a transcendent work

I read lot of discussion about gross piers Anthony books but i didn't see anyone being up the battle circle books, could i hear some opinions on those, please?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Galewolf posted:

Those snake head whips are a nightmare in combat to go against as they bite for 1d4 each with poison so you can get hosed up in single round.

Y'know though, in real life it seems like a snake head whip is a bad idea, I mean given how whips operate the snakes wouldn't have time to bite you unless you gently laid the whip on the dude

If they didn't have their necks broken during the use phase that is

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Slippery posted:

Y'know though, in real life it seems like a snake head whip is a bad idea, I mean given how whips operate the snakes wouldn't have time to bite you unless you gently laid the whip on the dude

If they didn't have their necks broken during the use phase that is
Obviously they're magic bondage tools gifted by Lolth to her clergy.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

VideoTapir posted:

Every third BBS user in the 90s went by Drizzt or Raistlin.

This is pretty much true

I was Dixie Flatline, lol

Look I was a kid it.was a long time ago

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

there wolf posted:

Wait this reminds me, did anyone every read any of the MythAdeventure books? They were like a slightly less creepy Xanth. I just thought of it because the girl in them was named Tanda, T-and-a, get it?

Oh my god I read a bunch of those as a kid and I never caught that

Ugh

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

super sweet best pal posted:

Mods change my name to Tyler Do'Urden

Pro tier name imo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

if Piers Anthony is as open to fans as he claims, someone should really ask him what the gently caress was with that chunk of Firefly with the pedophile, and see if it was just edgy mental flatulence or if he was actually completely serious

I just assume immediately at the first sign of something fishy that I'm dealing with a hardcore pedophile who cannot WAIT to tell me their sexkill fantasy and god drat if it isn't an infallible system

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

sebmojo posted:

Just thinking about that 'taur

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Anyone else read the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg? Apparently there's like ten books in the series, but young me was only aware of the first five.

A bunch of college students are playing an RPG run by their professor. Then one night *BAM* they are all magically transported into the world of the game and into the bodies of their characters. The kindly professor is really an evil wizard from that world!

... yes, really.

And then a couple of female characters get gangraped until they're catatonic. So the heroes decide to end slavery?

I stuck with the five books despite all of that, but man I can't imagine adult me ever getting past the cringe factor of all that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

overseer07 posted:

Anyone else read the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg? Apparently there's like ten books in the series, but young me was only aware of the first five.

A bunch of college students are playing an RPG run by their professor. Then one night *BAM* they are all magically transported into the world of the game and into the bodies of their characters. The kindly professor is really an evil wizard from that world!

... yes, really.

And then a couple of female characters get gangraped until they're catatonic. So the heroes decide to end slavery?

I stuck with the five books despite all of that, but man I can't imagine adult me ever getting past the cringe factor of all that.

That cover looks familiar but if I read it then I have no recollection of it.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That cover looks familiar but if I read it then I have no recollection of it.

Oh god I read the first four of these. :cripes:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

SerialKilldeer posted:

Piers Anthony also wrote a tetralogy called the Mode Series which features travel between different dimensions. There's a dimension where all women wear diapers, and a wizard guy from there arrives on earth and is scandalized by the heroine's tight jeans. The narration takes every opportunity to mention how shocked, shocked he is by her immodest attire, and the phrase "genital contours" is used. Then there's another different dimension where everyone wears color-coded underwear. Apparently one of the later books has human-on-horse sex and also a catgirl named Pussy, but I dropped it after the first two.

The canonical backstory for centaurs in the Xanth books is that three human men drank of a love spring and the first thing each saw was their mare. The guy definitely has a thing for horses.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

overseer07 posted:

... yes, really.

the first book was very generic, but that they decided to use that as a springboard for an anti-slavery crusade was neat. however, later books went nowhere. it's one of those series where i have no interest in re-reading it and destroying my fond teenage memories.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

there wolf posted:

Wait this reminds me, did anyone every read any of the MythAdeventure books? They were like a slightly less creepy Xanth. I just thought of it because the girl in them was named Tanda, T-and-a, get it?

I legit never noticed that.

Reread a few. I think I am done. They are really dumb.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Narnia is a stupid boring garbage world

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Five decent books out of seven puts Narnia way ahead of most of this thread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Silver chair owns

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can vouch for Narnia being amazing when you're 4. One benefit is that you don't have the context to be annoyed by how extremely christian it all is. Silver Chair was my favorite.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I remember liking The Horse and His Boy when I was a kid, but I'm told that's the Racist Tropes About Arabs installment, so I probably shouldn't revisit it.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Rascar Capac posted:

I remember liking The Horse and His Boy when I was a kid, but I'm told that's the Racist Tropes About Arabs installment, so I probably shouldn't revisit it.

The Chronicles of Narnia are worth revisiting. I read all of them at least 3 times when I was a kid because they were Approved Christian Literature, but I didn't have any context. Re-reading them as an adult (and an atheist), all the heavy-handed writing, all the middle class English prejudices, all of Lewis's neuroses come through. The movies were fun, though.

Speaking of Christian (or adjacent) literature: Orson Scott Card. Read nearly everything of his as a teenager, and got my family into it. Most of it doesn't hold up.

Was reminded of the Alvin Maker series, which rambled on for (7?) books without any ending...or much of a consistent plot. Card couldn't decide if he wanted to write fantasy, tall tales, or alternate history, so he crammed them all into the series. The setting is...odd. It's 19th century alt-America, but magic is real, and everyone's name is creatively misspelled. There's some overarching plot about the Joseph Smith stand-in, Alvin, getting super-magick-hax (he can do White people, Red people, AND Black people magic!) which makes him a Maker, but they never explain what a Maker is, or does, cause Card has more alt-history characters with wacky names to introduce! The story winds up being "Alvin tours the setting, gets Unfairly Persecuted for being Always Right, does some magic, whoops we ran out of pages come back next book where maybe we'll advance the plot."

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cobalt-60 posted:

The Chronicles of Narnia are worth revisiting. I read all of them at least 3 times when I was a kid because they were Approved Christian Literature, but I didn't have any context. Re-reading them as an adult (and an atheist), all the heavy-handed writing, all the middle class English prejudices, all of Lewis's neuroses come through. The movies were fun, though.

Speaking of Christian (or adjacent) literature: Orson Scott Card. Read nearly everything of his as a teenager, and got my family into it. Most of it doesn't hold up.

Was reminded of the Alvin Maker series, which rambled on for (7?) books without any ending...or much of a consistent plot. Card couldn't decide if he wanted to write fantasy, tall tales, or alternate history, so he crammed them all into the series. The setting is...odd. It's 19th century alt-America, but magic is real, and everyone's name is creatively misspelled. There's some overarching plot about the Joseph Smith stand-in, Alvin, getting super-magick-hax (he can do White people, Red people, AND Black people magic!) which makes him a Maker, but they never explain what a Maker is, or does, cause Card has more alt-history characters with wacky names to introduce! The story winds up being "Alvin tours the setting, gets Unfairly Persecuted for being Always Right, does some magic, whoops we ran out of pages come back next book where maybe we'll advance the plot."

By the different colors is that different races? Is your magic determined by your loving race? Can he do them all because hes mixed?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

never read any Narnia or Orson's stuff either, hearing about Ender's Game as a kid did nothing to interest me, and I'm glad I missed out on some self-loathing pedophile's child soldier fantasy

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
It was worth reading enders game to read speaker, but I dont know of reading speaker was worth reading the rest of them

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ender's game is just catcher in the space rye

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I can’t say enough about how much I love this thread, because I read all this trash as a kid and loved it.

The Dragonlance Prologue somebody mentioned earlier about Kitiara on the moon was a personal favorite, for sure. Nothing in that book made sense yet I probably read it 4 times.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
A kender stole my last gold coin
And Kitiara's on the moon
And then draconians punched my groin
And Kitiara's on the moon

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

gently caress Kitiara, she was an rear end

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The thing that bugged me about Dragonlance was how the DnD alignment and spell systems were part of the story in a way that drew the reader out of the stories. I didn't play DnD (unless you count some of the video games) but quickly realized they were describing game mechanics.

The mage needs to memorize spells and sleep in order to cast them. People are obsessed with good, evil, and neutrality like they are allegiances they declared. I don't remember them describing characters failing or succeeding at things in terms of dice rolls but wouldn't be surprised if it was in there and I assumed it was a metaphor.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can thank that piece of poo poo Vance for most of that tbh

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I wish the goddamn alignment moons crashed into one another and hosed up the concept of good and evil so badly that kender all die and elves all realize what completely uninteresting twats they are

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

The thing that bugged me about Dragonlance was how the DnD alignment and spell systems were part of the story in a way that drew the reader out of the stories. I didn't play DnD (unless you count some of the video games) but quickly realized they were describing game mechanics.

The mage needs to memorize spells and sleep in order to cast them. People are obsessed with good, evil, and neutrality like they are allegiances they declared. I don't remember them describing characters failing or succeeding at things in terms of dice rolls but wouldn't be surprised if it was in there and I assumed it was a metaphor.
IMO the only times you should be treating good/neutral/evil as absolutes in something like DnD is when you're dealing with planar outsiders where that can be the case, as in, yes, the Nine Hells are an objectively evil place and morality is a measurable quality there, but as soon as you hit the setting you're actually playing in, things are a lot more ambigious and fluid.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hell is way more fun if it's also ambiguous and fluid in uncomfortable and unexpected ways

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

That stuff didnt bother me as a kid, I just figured that spells were physically/mentally taxing and magically sort of popped out of your head after use. It was a little weird but no weirder than there being magic in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Black August posted:

Hell is way more fun if it's also ambiguous and fluid in uncomfortable and unexpected ways
Oh yeah for sure. Even if you go with objective evil, it doesn't mean that has to be predictable. And if you don't, well...

I always liked Fallen London's devils that were probably some sort of bees packed into people-shaped suits and where Hell was just a place extremely free from the laws of things like 'time' and 'causation' and nobody actually knows why they trade for souls because they don't seem to do anything with them.