Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

TIL that discworld is more realistic than I already thought it was :v:

TIL that not everyone has realised Ankh-Morpork is explicitly based on the City of London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

boomers are loving obsessed with the war they didn't experience

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305804479162441734?s=20
There's a whole generation who hang around on Twitter waiting to be offended, also hello Ofcom, I'd like to report Black people dancing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

TIL that discworld is more realistic than I already thought it was :v:

Yeah, pretty much any time you read something about Ankh-Morpork that you think is so ridiculous he must have made it up you'll generally find it's based on - and even toned down from - something that happened in London (or Paris or Budapest or some other medieval city). Discworld is to urban planning what Spinal Tap is to heavy metal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

TIL that not everyone has realised Ankh-Morpork is explicitly based on the City of London.

No I know it was based on that but having never been within a couple hundred miles of london I don't actually get all the references.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

enjoying the guardian's ongoing fictional narrative where the tories are forever on the verge of imploding over brexit, and boris is forever about to shock us all and discover his inner social progressive, and unnamed senior tories are always about to step in any day now and restore common sense politics to the party. this serial has been running for 4 years now, keeping us all on the edge of our seats.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

I always thought it was based on Cairo! Cairo did have actual Thieves' Guild for example under Ottoman rule. And the bridge from Mohandseen over to Tahrir Square has two big lion statues on the Mohandseen side.
(Were they hippopotamuses in AM, I can't remember!)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

He never used what I still think is the most ridiculous London story - Bishopsgate (because the Bishop of London lived at Epping Forest so that's the gate he came to work through) fell down in the 14th century, so the City made the Hanseatic League pay for a new one in exchange for the right to trade in London because they were too tight to replace it themselves. Yep, a PPP deal for critical infrastructure with a potentially-hostile foreign power.

Of course the security implications were a bit moot because that right to trade also included the right to operate their own wharves and warehouses inside the walls (the Steelyard, roughly where Cannon Street Station is today) completely independently of the laws of either the City or England. Thank God we don't let rich foreigners completely ignore the laws of the City nowadays, eh?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

They're just screaming for their parents who were always distant because of the massive PTSD they got through the war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I always thought it was based on Cairo! Cairo did have actual Thieves' Guild for example under Ottoman rule. And the bridge from Mohandseen over to Tahrir Square has two big lion statues on the Mohandseen side.
(Were they hippopotamuses in AM, I can't remember!)

Yes, supposedly, though obviously the river would not support a hippopotamus other than via surface tension.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I used to get a train from March to Cambridge and then bus back out to Histon. I don't live in March and can't drive, so I also had to get there too (thank goodness for parents!)

About an hour and a half each way.

An eight hour on the dot job in the role and industry I enjoyed ruined by three, sometimes four hours of commute.

Hated it so much I just stopped going to work.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gently caress off, Cracker, you fat shite

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving lol

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1305796490045067274?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wouldn't... they be more likely to support the RoI on some sort of international legal battle over the UK breaking the GFA and also any other stuff the UK is doing which leads to the UK becoming a pariah country subject to economic sanctions?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
making GBS threads my pants on the bus is a genius move that will force the people sat next to me to move.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

making GBS threads my pants on the bus is a genius move that will force the people sat next to me to move.

Nah you piss yourself first, keep making GBS threads yourself for the really stubborn person next to you on the bus.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

As things tend to get more and more ridiculous, I am wondering if we will just go to war against the EU.

The ultimate gammon dream.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We (UK) should simply invade Europe peacefully.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The EU built the border control fence on their side, so that means we won!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He never used what I still think is the most ridiculous London story - Bishopsgate (because the Bishop of London lived at Epping Forest so that's the gate he came to work through) fell down in the 14th century, so the City made the Hanseatic League pay for a new one in exchange for the right to trade in London because they were too tight to replace it themselves. Yep, a PPP deal for critical infrastructure with a potentially-hostile foreign power.

Of course the security implications were a bit moot because that right to trade also included the right to operate their own wharves and warehouses inside the walls (the Steelyard, roughly where Cannon Street Station is today) completely independently of the laws of either the City or England. Thank God we don't let rich foreigners completely ignore the laws of the City nowadays, eh?

We demand a Hanseaexit! - Nigellus Farridge

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

forkboy84 posted:

Nah you piss yourself first, keep making GBS threads yourself for the really stubborn person next to you on the bus.

You piss yourself, and they gladly move, because you'd been insulting them for the last 10 stops and, well... piss.

Later, long after everyone else has left the bus you poo poo yourself just to say "and another thing".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Does anyone know what the gently caress 'happy hour' means in the context of office work / zoom calls?

My wife just saw a bunch of memes on facebook and neither of us have any loving idea, but it is giving off some profoundly orwellian vibes - especially the number of them talking about being exhausted after 'mandatory happy hour.'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

starting to get a little worried that the logical extrapolation of this policy suggests that this time next year he’ll be deliberately allowing UK citizens to starve as a ‘genius move’ to force the EU to resume trading with us

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

starting to get a little worried that the logical extrapolation of this policy suggests that this time next year he’ll be deliberately allowing UK citizens to starve as a ‘genius move’ to force the EU to resume trading with us
I mean for a complete dipshit then yes, relatively speaking this must have seemed like a stroke of genius.

By which I mean he has clearly had a stroke.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The EU have shown that they do blink first if poo poo gets serious so it's not a complete gamble, and if they don't blink and stick to their guns it's going to cause a lot of problems for the very poorest people in the UK and probably the wider EU, but at the same time the EU really need to stand firm for once and not let Boris get away with this poo poo.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jose posted:

My Aunt used to date Robbie Coultrane and he still owes my Gran some money (well she's dead now so probably not anymore?).

That's my "adjacent to transphobe" story.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Does this chap have any credentials for getting information like this?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress 'happy hour' means in the context of office work / zoom calls?

My wife just saw a bunch of memes on facebook and neither of us have any loving idea, but it is giving off some profoundly orwellian vibes - especially the number of them talking about being exhausted after 'mandatory happy hour.'

Some companies, I believe, are having team bonding sessions such as pizza whereby everyone gets sent a pizza and they all eat together on zoom. Also quizzes, and other 'bonding' things. I think this is what it means.

(Trying to reproduce the compulsory 'team bonding' stuff from work whereby if you don't go out and get plastered on a Thursday night with your work colleagues you are 'not a team player' and get marked down accordingly in your annual review.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some companies, I believe, are having team bonding sessions such as pizza whereby everyone gets sent a pizza and they all eat together on zoom.
Somewhere, a Qanon types furious nonsense in response to this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't realise the UK/Japan trade deal meant we would be importing the work culture.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wonder if I can volunteer to man the machine gun at one of the border checkpoints.
For when the UK refugees try to claim asylum in RoI.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if I can volunteer to man the machine gun at one of the border checkpoints.
For when the UK refugees try to claim asylum in RoI.

Weird post

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't realise the UK/Japan trade deal meant we would be importing the work culture.

God damned Johnny Foreigner isn't changing my culture of doing as little as possible while still being paid

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Beg pardon, should be fixed now thank you

what the gently caress is this bullshit

I got as far as

quote:

500 years ago, people began to wonder how and why things happened, and what was over the horizon.

and gave up, because loving lol people have been wondering that since quite a bit earlier than loving 1520

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

We're rebuilding Hadrian's wall and electrifying it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Are the numbers not near enough there for a border poll atm? I would have thought this would be the perfect time for SF to roll the dice. Reunification would certainly solve a lot of problems!

PowerBeard posted:

Recently Sinn Féin saw a massive increase in support in the General Election, from both the disenfranchised young and the old bitter people. Plus I'm sure I'm not doing a libel when I say that some prominent members of Sinn Féin had connections to the IRA and it was just. Gerry Adams. Plus, there has been a surge in gangland murders in the Republic, so that may show a willingness for young people to start poo poo for fun.

Sinn Fein in 2020 are not the provos op, would that they were.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

what the gently caress is this bullshit

I got as far as

and gave up, because loving lol people have been wondering that since quite a bit earlier than loving 1520

Hmm good point, sorry. It was referring to Henry The Navigator sending ships down the coast of Africa, and the scientific revolution kicking off in earnest, and the impact that had on the world today, but I see what you mean.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1305834661281697792?s=20

minema
May 31, 2011
Occupational Health at the hospital have said that sharing a small office with positive covid colleague doesn't count as contact since we were both wearing masks. This is not the case in any other situation and I would have to isolate for 14 days if the same thing had happened anywhere else. They told me to stay in work and just to be extra cautious with social distancing which definitely feels like bullshit to me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

gh0stpinballa posted:

enjoying the guardian's ongoing fictional narrative where the tories are forever on the verge of imploding over brexit, and boris is forever about to shock us all and discover his inner social progressive, and unnamed senior tories are always about to step in any day now and restore common sense politics to the party. this serial has been running for 4 years now, keeping us all on the edge of our seats.

Forever chasing the mythical Reasonable Tory Unicorn.

And perpetually suprised when it turns out to be a poo poo-covered pig with poo on its balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

Are the numbers not near enough there for a border poll atm? I would have thought this would be the perfect time for SF to roll the dice. Reunification would certainly solve a lot of problems!

Sinn Fein in 2020 are not the provos op, would that they were.

lol gently caress up

Thing about a peace process is it shouldn't come down to rolling dice