Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

yeah i mean i'm sure it's true of some forums and threads and posters but like I know an awful lot about the personal lives of an awful lot of posters

just lol if you don't chronically overshare absolutely everything to anyone willing to listen to your woes for even a single moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Gio posted:

i dont understand how we beat covid...and it just keeps coming back!!!

imo this is it tho we did it

remember months ago when one of the options was to do "controlled burns" of opening and closing such that ERs and ICUs were not overwhelmed, until herd immunity was established? remember how the vast majority of epidemiologists were saying "that's not a good idea, shut er down". trup

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

that's pretty cool and brave but someone will prob assault you eventually

put me on the news motherfucker I could use a gofundme

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cool! It probably isn't the best place to be doing it, but SA is an OG social media.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dolash posted:

What's the over-under for hitting 300k?

Well there's probably another 8 months of open everything up and exponential infection growth in the US.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
alexa, define parasocial relationship

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

just lol if you don't chronically overshare absolutely everything to anyone willing to listen to your woes for even a single moment

I think these people are generally known to be "annoying"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Dolash posted:

I'll take the over by Christmas

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

:ironicat:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dolash posted:

Three months at the current daily death rate. Do pretty good I think.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

BeefThief posted:

that's it, im going to applebees

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

coming from you that is a compliment

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

are you in the right head space to receive information that could possibly hurt you?

This is a case of a COVID-19-positive patient who presented with catastrophic bowel necrosis

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

all my teenage planning for a zombie apocalypse didn't prepare me for people screaming that the zombies are a hoax while having their limbs eaten or for the "stay at home! just long enough to get rid of the zombies anyway" orders to last 10 minutes tops

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

all the movies that show humanity pulling together in times of crisis are such bullshit lmao.

we are a bunch of selfish assholes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hello to any aliens secretly monitoring us out there.

This whole thing has been a real cockup. Time to point your planet-busting laser at earth and take us out of the equation. Thank you and god bless.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Gio posted:

wow, thats a lot of crisis actors!

Nah, just the same 5 actors doing their schtick 40,000 times in a row.

You may say ‘but that’s hundreds of times a day!!’ Well folks, that’s how much these “people” hate America!!! Unbelievable!!!

(A little too much Mark Levin today)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Goreld posted:

(A little too much Mark Levin today)

i miss aqua teen hunger force too

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

blatman posted:

all my teenage planning for a zombie apocalypse didn't prepare me for people screaming that the zombies are a hoax while having their limbs eaten or for the "stay at home! just long enough to get rid of the zombies anyway" orders to last 10 minutes tops

It's kind of a pity that zombie poo poo was run completely into the ground a decade ago, because it does offer a lot for the current situation.

Either a coronavirus story shot like a zombie movie (a horde of unmasked chuds wheezing covid everywhere as they bash on the doors of a mall, howling to OPENERUP), or a zombie movie reflecting what we've learned about society since covid (the zombie plague is juuuuuust not infectious enough to completely wipe out society, so instead everyone just has to go back to work and the government's main response is passing liability protections for businesses against anyone being zombified in their workplace).

I mean it writes itself, which is probably why it doesn't need to be written.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

No one is seriously testing except for uiuc, it's incredible to watch one podunk double town of 100k doing 1-2% of the nation's testing every day

Seriously, I need a source for that percentage. Because lmao.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

No one is seriously testing except for uiuc, it's incredible to watch one podunk double town of 100k doing 1-2% of the nation's testing every day

it's at once admirable and yet I want to know how crucial it is for them to keep their research labs open

doesn't UIUC still do deep research for more physical parts of computer science? I want to say the quantum computer IBM's working on, but that's probably at one of their facilities

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Confrontation with strangers is like loving in a lot of ways, there is this singular awareness on the subject you are relating to, an unmistakable energy permeates the milieu, you are trying to be the winner by utilizing your prowess

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joey Steel posted:

Seriously, I need a source for that percentage. Because lmao.

you have to calculate it by hand
https://splunk-public.machinedata.illinois.edu/en-US/app/uofi_shield_public_APP/home

so on 8/24 they had 17,656 tests 91-divoc shows 706,828 on 8/24, so 2.4% of the total.
8/31 - 17,227 vs 701198, also 2.4% .

im sure the ratio is lower other times

i think this is for the college testing only and doesn't include anyone tested off campus but i'm not sure. they did a real bad job early of quarantining people but it seems yelling at them enough actually worked and cases are down while keeping school open. test results are tied to badges to get into buildings so that definitely helps a bit, but dorms & frats are going to be the big spreader.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

even better

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

you have to calculate it by hand
https://splunk-public.machinedata.illinois.edu/en-US/app/uofi_shield_public_APP/home

so on 8/24 they had 17,656 tests 91-divoc shows 706,828 on 8/24, so 2.4% of the total.
8/31 - 17,227 vs 701198, also 2.4% .

im sure the ratio is lower other times

i think this is for the college testing only and doesn't include anyone tested off campus but i'm not sure. they did a real bad job early of quarantining people but it seems yelling at them enough actually worked and cases are down while keeping school open. test results are tied to badges to get into buildings so that definitely helps a bit, but dorms & frats are going to be the big spreader.

All I'm getting is a username and password request tho.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joey Steel posted:

All I'm getting is a username and password request tho.

well that's weird, it works fine on this computer and i dont have a login

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dolash posted:

It's kind of a pity that zombie poo poo was run completely into the ground a decade ago, because it does offer a lot for the current situation.

Either a coronavirus story shot like a zombie movie (a horde of unmasked chuds wheezing covid everywhere as they bash on the doors of a mall, howling to OPENERUP), or a zombie movie reflecting what we've learned about society since covid (the zombie plague is juuuuuust not infectious enough to completely wipe out society, so instead everyone just has to go back to work and the government's main response is passing liability protections for businesses against anyone being zombified in their workplace).

I mean it writes itself, which is probably why it doesn't need to be written.

a zombie movie where there's zombies everywhere, eating people in the streets but the protagonists are dead set on going to applebee's anyway

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

well that's weird, it works fine on this computer and i dont have a login

Bummer, would it be too much to do a screenshot or two?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joey Steel posted:

Bummer, would it be too much to do a screenshot or two?

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

a zombie movie where there's zombies everywhere, eating people in the streets but the protagonists are dead set on going to applebee's anyway

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

all the movies that show humanity pulling together in times of crisis are such bullshit lmao.

we are a bunch of selfish assholes.

Contagion was hilariously optimistic. And it has a virus that killed in five minutes

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

blatman posted:

shaun of the dead was truly prescient

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gimmie

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Contagion was hilariously optimistic. And it has a virus that killed in five minutes

it's p great to watch now lmao

outbreak is also great, they start by bombing the virus which is definitely a trump move and they have a dramatic freakout midway through when OH MY GOD IT'S AIRBORNE