Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I liked the season theme since it makes gear/paragon not as important.

I don't like the extra fishing part for leaderboards, doesn't always work, and mob priority is weighted heavily towards illusionists/low progress mobs to build up your stacks.

If they could refine the season theme I think it'd be really fun. Add timers to the UI, buff fire wave, maybe let you change snowball trajectories with player skills (bounce off wall of death?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Lucas Archer posted:

My wonderful WD is dead and dead, killed by an ill-fated run at Malthael on TX. Just rocked me hard and in an instant I was done. I had to walk away from my console for a few minutes after that one.

Malthael is an rear end in a top hat. More times than I can count, he poo poo a tornado on the spot you teleport to in phase 2, and killed me with no way to stop it. Stunning the player between boss phases is a poo poo move.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Malthael is an rear end in a top hat. More times than I can count, he poo poo a tornado on the spot you teleport to in phase 2, and killed me with no way to stop it. Stunning the player between boss phases is a poo poo move.

It really is. Malthael has killed me more times than anything else in the game. Is it accurate to say he's the most difficult boss in the game excepting possibly the uber-bosses?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lucas Archer posted:

My wonderful WD is dead and dead, killed by an ill-fated run at Malthael on TX. Just rocked me hard and in an instant I was done. I had to walk away from my console for a few minutes after that one.

RIP in Peace

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Or he just drops it right on top of you without any chance to dodge it even if you are not stunned. He honestly feels like an old Inferno boss with all the badly designed mechanics and RNG.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Or he has trained you to always use your teleport/dash immediately to get out of the cloud and THIS time he didn't spawn the cloud on top of you but on top of where you spam clicked and you die anyways.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
WD has an especially bad time with Malthael since he RPs for long enough to expire your defensive harvest stacks (twice) and never summons any adds to rebuild them on. Similar effects like Band of Might can at least be cast on an empty board and be at full strength within a single cast vs having to play the entire boss fight at the bottom end of an exponential growth curve.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also I’m use to A5 bosses now but does anyone else remember your first couple runs through A5 and being like “Holy gently caress Malthael has more health than all previous bosses combined”

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bust Rodd posted:

Also I’m use to A5 bosses now but does anyone else remember your first couple runs through A5 and being like “Holy gently caress Malthael has more health than all previous bosses combined”
On release, I convinced myself that it was a good idea to do all of my story run through A5 on Torment 1. Malthael took like 10 minutes to kill.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
malthael is second only for perdition for adrenaline.

I still don't understand perdition.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Perdition is dangerous at range, if you can close in in time, you're relatively safe. I once had him spawn far enough from me due to some map quirk that I couldn't get in melee range, and he just wound up his teleport attack from a few screens away then instagibbed me.

:rip:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Get in his face real good to keep him from teleporting. When he telegraphs his blade shooting attack thing run the gently caress away from him so you have some space to dodge them and then get right back on top of him fast to stop him from porting to you.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I play hardcore, I still will not even try.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Lucas Archer posted:

:rip:

You won't forget him!

.dazedandconfused..
Jan 5, 2006

Once upon a time Blubberkopf made me even more confused....
How has everyone's rainbow hunt going this season? I have ran up 800para in SC and 500para in HC and have not seen a single rainbow. A large portion of this has been solo.

I love me some RNG just as much as the next person. I just hate my RNG.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I see one every couple of hours in public bounty games. Just gotta agree to have everyone do it at the end. Usually people are amenable to that.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
...rainbow?? Goblin portal or something?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Gotten a fair share of them this season but I already have my wings so :smuggo:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Maybe 2 or 3 total since I do fewer bounties generally. At this rate I'll have my wings by 2050. :shepicide: I can't be bothered to hunt for them since it's awful but it's the only transmog left I really want.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I got 2 when I was playing at the start of the Season, and the first one FINALLY gave me the Sword. Still need Wings, and Portrait Frame.

.dazedandconfused..
Jan 5, 2006

Once upon a time Blubberkopf made me even more confused....

Tubgoat posted:

...rainbow?? Goblin portal or something?

Goblin. Have just started doing bounties over the last few days and have yet to see any.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
So I appear to be in some weird no-mans-land right now. I’m level 700 on the dot, playing a fun but not OP Multishot build.

The trouble is I do way too much damage for the lowbie grifts at Torment 7 (random players like to spawn them around 60-65). But the minute I show up in Torment 16, I get booted. Haven’t found a good midrange of people running around 90s that will let me in.

I either need a fast way to level up OR a fast way to an Ancient weapon. I’m 100% ancient gear with good rolls, following a guide, having a blast, except my loving bow. I’ve done 20 reforges on it.

Anyone have any tips? This is only my second season.

Just feel too OP for the low range but my visible level gets me kicked from higher range. And while I can solo 90, it is too frustrating and slow with my crappy weapon.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The core problem for you is that the best way to level up fast is to build GoD and you've dumped mats and effort into multishot.

edit: for something a little more helpful to get your re-gearing moving, ideally you should be farming the highest GR level you can clear in 2-3 minutes consistently for loot purposes. With respect to getting an ancient weapon, using non-bounty materials to upgrade rares is usually how I get my first. Not sure about what goes on in pub GR games, but nobody's looking for either low paragon or multishot in higher-tier GRs or XP farming speed runs.

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 14, 2020

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Okay, I changed over into GoD hungering arrow fotm. I have all ancients with decent rolls and a primal set piece (gloves).

Trouble is I’m still only about 800 paragon so I just can’t level that fast. I can solo 100s but it takes a bit too long and is boring. I’d love to just slap another 1000 paragon points on there so I could do some grifts with random folks. I like playing with weirdos to see their builds and have more fun than doing it alone.

By contrast other folks between 700-900 or so tend to want to roll around 65, which I just bail on. I’m a complete newbie but I got lucky on gear I guess.

What should I spend my blood shards on? Better versions of my weaker pieces I assume?

I got an ancient version of one of my rings and it was rear end so I went back to my old version. Should I blood shard to try to get that ancient?

Sorry for stupid questions, just never gotten to this part before.

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 15, 2020

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Gambling jewelry is a mistake unless everything else is already ancient with every stat roll you want on it (or you really want to save time on gambling in fast groups). On a few item slots, you would rather have a 4/4 ideal affix non-ancient over an ancient or primal with worse affixes, generally these are rings/amulet/gloves since most builds don't want any stats on those slots that increase on ancient items, although some builds can be really particular about shoulders as well. Put your shards into improving armor and offhands, replacing the one with the most to improve first. Deal with your jewelry and weapons by upgrading rares and reforging on the hardest-to-roll items. Getting a good Dawn in particular can be a nightmare if you're going to actually carry one.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'd say the only time you might ever gamble jewelry is if a piece is absolutely KEY and will take you from T6 to 80+GRs just by itself. Or some sort of huuuge increase on that level. Otherwise yeah, rings/amulets have a huge pool but also a high cost to gamble. It's worst of both worlds.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Don't know the rest of your gear pieces so I'll just leave this guide here. If for some reason you get a god roll quiver you can equip that and cube dawn instead and roll with valla's for the extra stat roll. Focus and restraint are huge damage modifiers. Coe is as well, but you can cube elusive ring instead for more damage reduction. Flavor of time is nice, but I'd focus shards on other gear rolls cause you're not going to get a good amulet.

Keep up your momentum stacks, this usually involves you clicking hungering arrow every 3-5 seconds. Don't let it drop below 15 stacks. The other thing is GoD shines in mobs, don't waste your time killing 2-3 enemies at a time. Abuse your movement speed and find more density

https://youtu.be/Y4XpkazzEFg

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The GoD Hungering Arrow build is SO FAST!

Edit: I don't think I'll ever get a good ancient version of either Focus or Restraint.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 16, 2020

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Is there a consensus on when you should switch from Emeralds to Diamonds in your armour on GoD Demon Hunter? I'm Paragon ~800.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The GoD Hungering Arrow build is SO FAST!

Edit: I don't think I'll ever get a good ancient version of either Focus or Restraint.

I'm right behind you, usually average 2:30-3 minutes at 85. How far have you gone Greater Rifts?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God is the most ridiculous build in d3 I love it

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

euphronius posted:

This is my first time playing and I might have ruined all other classes & builds for myself.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Boatswain posted:

Is there a consensus on when you should switch from Emeralds to Diamonds in your armour on GoD Demon Hunter? I'm Paragon ~800.

I'm right behind you, usually average 2:30-3 minutes at 85. How far have you gone Greater Rifts?

I'm not worried about pushing GR until I have Caldesann's despair on everything, but I'm doing GR 100s to do those gems into my ancients for now.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

If you’re getting one-shot with all your defenses up, it’s time to swap to defensive gems

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

euphronius posted:

It's seriously too fast, it gives me a headache. I'll stick to my multi shot build.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I guess all those years playing Quake 3 Arena paid off for me, I don't notice anything.

Edit: New record!

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 17, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

god run going good and then you touch a speed pylon

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Field Mousepad posted:

It's seriously too fast, it gives me a headache. I'll stick to my multi shot build.
Dropping the speed rune on Strafe worked for me. It was still fast, but not nausea-inducingly so.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
GoD is all fun and games until 3 of you do a 120-125 and the server starts to choke and die on your combined AoE calculations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I just put together a Vyr Archon set up and it is a nice change of pace. Bouncing between shapes and surviving in human form takes some practice, but so far it has ben surprisingly powerful even without well-rolled gear or even the Endless Walk-set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Sometimes Hardcore sucks, but them's the breaks.
Sometimes seasonal Hardcore can be backbreaking. Goodbye Hellfire Ring I put in the stash in anticipation of when I went up a couple Torment levels. Killed myself at 40 almost immediately on the next character.

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 17, 2020