Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

SuperTeeJay posted:

Yup, for the UK at least. A supposed pro-tip is to be logged into Paypal and checkout through it rather than struggling to create an Nvidia Shop account when the server is making GBS threads out.

Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Why are people talking about store pages going up today? I thought 9am on the 17th was the street date. Stop making me nervous!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Why are people talking about store pages going up today? I thought 9am on the 17th was the street date. Stop making me nervous!
don't ruin it they're going to be shocked at nothing on the sites in an hour, it's too late for the ones camping

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Enjoying those blissful final hours of the thread before everyone starts posting shipping updates.

oh no

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

exquisite tea posted:

because there are like 5 cards for people to buy, good luck.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It's fine all of 3 people are gonna get one threads gonna be flooded with whining instead.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

pyrotek posted:

I'm assuming you mostly use your computer for gaming? The Decima engine (Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding) uses AVX and it is part of DX12, so I would expect more usage in the future. Prime95 and Cinebench in no way represent a realistic gaming workload. I would recommend turning AVX back to normal, the proper voltage should suffice.

It was mostly a stability thing, I know they're unrealistic but wanted to be sure the slight undervolt for temperatures was stable. I'm 5ghz on all cores now and can put AVX back to normal.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Carecat posted:

Prices are being raised on Overclockers and the FTW was replaced with an XC3, I think the FTW was a listing error.

I don't see where any of the justification for the prices being higher than the FE came from in the first place. The cooler on the FE is meant to be a significant cost but These AIBs are coming up with cards nearly a third more expensive.

They pulled the same bullshit on the 1080 launch and are notorious for exploiting low stock. OcUK are a trash company imo.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
There is a lot in common between Fermi, Turing, and Ampere. After all, Fermi made real time ray tracing possible with the GTX 400 series.

In addition to real time ray tracing, Fermi provided the NEXT big thing in graphics - hardware tessellation.

Left: tessellation OFF
Right: tessellation ON

How much of your life do you want to live without real time ray tracing and tessellation? Just buy it!

See the performance delta between Turing and Ampere:

We haven't seen that level of gainz since Fermi arrived on the scene back in 2010:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
furiously F5-ing Gamers Nexus's page for their review

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeXh9x0sUc

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

pretty muted performance over the 2080 Ti at 1440p (~25% uplift on average)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Huzzah! All hail Tech Jesus!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

drat

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I was close to talking myself out of the 3080 but the uplift from a 1080Ti at 1440p varies between 'good' and 'loving massive'.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Doesn't hit 4K60 on Control with both RTX and DLSS on

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ill save most of my laughing for the 3060 Super or whatever reviews, where it trades blows with the 2080ti depending on game or resolution lol

however this is still getting a laugh

E: those control comparisons are nice though actually, it smokes the 2080ti there even more it seems

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
That's a heckuva incremental increase over last year's $1,700 card for only another $700. Looks like you can lean on it and get a reliable 13 fps increase at 4K nice nice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah imagine being bitchmade over a $700 card only being 20-30% faster sometimes than the $1,700 card people were buying last month lol

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://youtu.be/k7FlXu9dAMU

The flood gates have opened

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i guess the takeaway is that it's a fast card but it won't guarantee you 4K60+ performance w/ RTX and even with DLSS on current games (let alone upcoming games)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Interesting that GN is showing a significantly lower performance increase than some of the other reviewers. I wonder if the stupidity of sticking with 3200mhz ram well past its sell date is biting them in the rear end.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Looking at my 3200mhz ram...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
3200mhz ram BAD?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there seems to be a lot of variance in benchmarks between the reviewers... some have Control 4K RTX+DLSS >60, others <60 ....
it might be highlighting other bottlenecks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still on 2666 Mhz :(

anyway those big huge charts from TechPowerUp tell me that even a 2060 would be enough for my 1080p60Hz rear end

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rolo posted:

3200mhz ram BAD?

It's generally fine, but it can certainly be a limiting factor, especially in some of the games that tend to be really heavy on GPUs. A GPU testbench should be doing everything possible to ensure that the GPU is the bottleneck, and it's silly that for a just re-done testbench in late 2020 GN is still using 3200mhz ram, especially on an Intel platform. GN is generally very smart about how they do their testing, but Steve is definitely overly resistant to looking at data from outside sources and then doing testing himself to see if his assumptions are wrong.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Also max settings control is something to not really play at for certain settings. Volumetric lighting for example runs way faster at high with no discernible visual difference.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hopeful I can get a 3080 tomorrow to replace my 1080. Seems a little more than double the performance @ 1440p.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

there seems to be a lot of variance in benchmarks between the reviewers... some have Control 4K RTX+DLSS >60, others <60 ....

Control RTX is more granular than on/off, are some testing RT Medium (reflections only) and other RT High (reflections + global illumination + shadows + debris)?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Twibbit posted:

Also max settings control is something to not really play at for certain settings. Volumetric lighting for example runs way faster at high with no discernible visual difference.

yeah but people were hoping that the 3080 (and the 3090) would allow them to get 4K60 at max settings for a while
doesn't look like it's happening with the 3080 and assuming a 20% delta by the 3090, not for it on upcoming games either

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Twibbit posted:

Ultra Everything or Trash Bin

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I imagine ambient temps and HVAC quality accounts for a large chunk of the variation in performance between reviewers, assuming they each got top binned chips.

Should really be running reviews with faster ram as mentioned above tho.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
So we're not getting 3090 reviews until next week, after the 3080 is launched? Ugh, was hoping to see the performance difference to decide if it was worth it to me. There's a lot of games that the 3080 still benchmarks at well under 144fps at 1440p. Helluva upgrade from my 1080ti so maybe I'll try to snag a 3080 tomorrow and not open it until 3090 reviews come out.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Rolo posted:

3200mhz ram BAD?

3000mhz here. My 1070 is badder than RAM. Looks like the limiting factor for FS2020 is gonna be single core frequency and their crappy non-multi threading. But I can extrapolate that I'll be going from 20-25fps in "high" to a near-locked 60fps@1440p, possibly at ultra settings so I'm happy.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Looks like the FE doesn't overclock well at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm still on 2666 Mhz :(

anyway those big huge charts from TechPowerUp tell me that even a 2060 would be enough for my 1080p60Hz rear end

It absolutely is with current games.

shrike82 posted:

Could also depend on where they are doing the testing. If one place is testing the most demanding spot in the game and the other isn't, that would make a big difference.