Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
threadstomper58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Laslow posted:

threadstomper58

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZRgnlRPTTQ&t=4s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
threadthreader

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
double threader

yes, this is threading close to the line

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pram posted:

have you literally never heard of SGI lol

The Management posted:

lmao

mips was used for 1000 node supercomputers before intel could do smp

yes I’m aware of all that, and?

I’m not disputing that mips was used in supercomputers, I’m disputing that it was “really for unix servers”, when the vast majority of mips devices have always been consumer electronics, embedded devices, etc.

there’s no way mips belongs in a list of unix server chips if x86 doesn’t.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

threadthreader

Needlethreader

Spending extra cycles to get your exact results

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
camelthreader, for all your biblical rich person apologia needs

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Soricidus posted:

yes I’m aware of all that, and?

I’m not disputing that mips was used in supercomputers, I’m disputing that it was “really for unix servers”, when the vast majority of mips devices have always been consumer electronics, embedded devices, etc.

there’s no way mips belongs in a list of unix server chips if x86 doesn’t.

mips was born as a unix server chip and for like a decade plus as a unix server chip before the rest of all that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah, but you see by sheer numbers it's a faaaaaaart

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hurf durf yes 1987s $10k workstation bespoke 32 bit processor on the cutting edge of chip design is has always been an embedded chip

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mips and amd64 adjacent story

one of the first fast amd64 compilers was from a company called pathscale

which was originally a mips compiler for sgi

they also developed an 10g infiniband card

qlogic bought them for that card (and later sold to intel who canceled the tech a decade later)

and then sold the compiler to sicortex

which was an supercomputer company that glued a bunch of mips cores together

who went out of business because it was weird

cray bought the assets and sold it to some of the original team

but everyone had moved on to llvm or accelerators anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Laslow posted:

intel has the cash to ad blitz the hell out of some nonsense like avx 512 but they lack their cold cynical hearts that they had in the 90’s. breaking out the breakdancing clean suit guys and hyping up “Advanced Vector X” technology instead of Core i7 n+1 gen will move way more units because people are still idiot rubes, now more than ever.

i know this is from a couple pages back but i don't think they're really in a position to need to do this. last i heard they're still selling chips as fast as they can make them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
intel chips might as well be cheetos

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know this is from a couple pages back but i don't think they're really in a position to need to do this. last i heard they're still selling chips as fast as they can make them.

if my old co-workers are anything to go by, i'm not surprised. "i don't trust that AMD - their stuff always has so many issues. if you want something that just works, you buy intel", said one of them a month or so ago

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

gently caress suppose it’s another one of those learning moments isn’t it

how come these keep happening to me

:birdthunk:

E:

gently caress, now I want kung pao tofu. Outpost here makes pro-tier kung pao tofu.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Instant Grat posted:

if my old co-workers are anything to go by, i'm not surprised. "i don't trust that AMD - their stuff always has so many issues. if you want something that just works, you buy intel", said one of them a month or so ago

it's not that, it's just that demand is through the roof. AMD can't keep up with orders either.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if/when demand craters, then we might see more cynical advertising tricks out of intel again to hold off AMD. but for now they've got plenty of business

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
threadhugger 🤗

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
threadrespecter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
threadsupporter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
threadambivalence

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
threadthreader

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Department of threadland security

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

threadward ripperhands

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wet rear end Threads

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sereri posted:

Department of threadland security

now that's savage

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

threadatomizer

straight into my systems lungs

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 21, 2020

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
threadfrayer

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Private Speech posted:

threadatomizer

straight into my systems lungs

similarly, the threadomizer, named after the late thread simmons

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Thredanos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/1kQUXpZpLXI

haven’t had a chance to look at this but may be interesting?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/1kQUXpZpLXI

haven’t had a chance to look at this but may be interesting?

it’s pretty accurate.

it confirms that the 6T SRAM cell gate fin is a little smaller in the tsmc 7nm process than the 14nm intel process. looks like the tsmc process is somewhere between 10 and 20% smaller, but again, thats only one dimension of one kind of transistor.

sram cells are usually good to compare because they’re generally the most optimized cell in terms of area. you have a limited 2D space on the surface of the wafer and you have 6 transistors per SRAM cell (usually just called a 6T SRAM cell) which translates directly to those exact same 6 transistors repeated over and over again in ever cache on the die, (one 6T cell for each but in the cache bit) so putting a little more work into the size of those transistors translates directly into manufacturing cost savings.

and yeah, you can’t really compare them by the marketing name, but you can average out what all the different areas of the chip (caches, logic, etc) and come up with some average densities.

the point that you could call it blueberries or strawberries is pretty true, apples to oranges, etc.

they try to scale the overall transistor dimensions by around .7, because that’s the sqrt(2)/2 and roughly means “half the size” in terms of wafer area.

if you have a square on the chip where each side is 1 hotdog long, that square has an area of 1 square hotdog.

replacing it with a square that does the same function but is .7 hotdogs by .7 hotdogs gets you a square that is .7 * .7 = 0.5 square hotdogs, and you can now put twice as many squares on the same wafer.

but no company started with a really accurate standard for how big a hotdog was, and sometimes your new hotdog machine can make the same thing the last one did in a rectangle that is actually .5 hotdogs by .8 hotdogs, or something like that.

you can compare them in other ways, but using each company’s name for how small their chip is relative to their last one doesn’t really mean anything because they all just pick a number that is .7 times whatever their last number was and call it that

shrinking from “10nm” to “7nm” is just changing a hotdog marketing number from 1 to 0.7.

it just means:

“this process is smaller *enough*, when compared to the last one we made, that we decided to run with it and say it’s about half the area of our last one”

22nm * 0.7 is 14nm
14nm * 0.7 is 10nm
10nm * 0.7 is 7nm

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I thought it was common knowledge to anyone that wasn’t a dumb gamer that the fabs are roughly on par with each other, and one fab’s 10nm is another’s 7. It’s the same marketing fluff that led to companies crowing about their console being 64-bit*

* actually 2 32-bit cpus glued together

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eide, please write a book that explains professor manufacture but use processed meats and other foods instead of real jargon. you’ll get famous

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
well basically you have to be smart enough to get a phd but dumb enough to stay in academia

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Raere posted:

I thought it was common knowledge to anyone that wasn’t a dumb gamer that the fabs are roughly on par with each other, and one fab’s 10nm is another’s 7. It’s the same marketing fluff that led to companies crowing about their console being 64-bit*

* actually 2 32-bit cpus glued together

i think gamers are still stuck on brand warfare but youll see plenty of dumb fab speculation on macrumors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
are we talking about the same people who returned their iPhone because it had the wrong cpu fabricator?