Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

O7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Great system and I'm sad we will probably never see another thing like it.

Now put the digital poo poo on sale Nintendo!! There is still stuff I'd buy (on discount)!!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Pretty sad to see about the 3DS.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black on the DS (still got my copy somewhere). If I wanted to try the series again, which 3DS game should I bother with?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is stuff like this OK here? So I've got a 3DS (I think it's the XL one? I bought it like early 2013) that I basically never use anymore, but it's still working and charging totally fine.

Is there a flashcard solution for the 3DS like for DS? Or is the standard practice just cracking the system to run homebrew and then loading games via SD like for the Wii U?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Drone posted:

Is stuff like this OK here? So I've got a 3DS (I think it's the XL one? I bought it like early 2013) that I basically never use anymore, but it's still working and charging totally fine.

Is there a flashcard solution for the 3DS like for DS? Or is the standard practice just cracking the system to run homebrew and then loading games via SD like for the Wii U?

The later. It’s much easier and doesn’t require you to buy anything else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drone posted:

There's a good Nintendo homebrew thread on this forum and it's also worth checking out r/3DShacks

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black on the DS (still got my copy somewhere). If I wanted to try the series again, which 3DS game should I bother with?

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are the best of the 3DS era. XY are pretty bad. The Sun/Moon games are decent, but there's way too much story and hand holding. Sun/Moon have some excellent new Pokemon though. It's just that the 3DS original games aren't very fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are the best of the 3DS era. XY are pretty bad. The Sun/Moon games are decent, but there's way too much story and hand holding. Sun/Moon have some excellent new Pokemon though. It's just that the 3DS original games aren't very fun.

This is like exactly the opposite of my experience. OR/AS are terrible remakes of the worst Pokemon games and have horrifically limited Pokemon selection and terrible route design. X/Y and Su/Mo are really, really fun and have a ton of variety in comparison

:shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ryuga Death posted:

I liked Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon more than the more recent Sword/Shield.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ORAS pissed me off so much I stopped playing any Pokemon game, spin-off or not, for two whole years. UltraSun/Moon or its original counterparts are what I'd play on the 3DS if I were to pick only one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I skipped ORAS since I remember not enjoying the originals that much. Too much water wasn’t wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pokemon X/Y is perfectly serviceable, but it's very "Baby's first 3D game" development-wise if that makes sense? You can tell they're still learning how to translate their games from 2D sprites to rendered models. I like the characters in it, and especially the rival being far better than Hau just being pure :haw: 100% of the time with zero chill.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oras is the series peak

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

Black and White is the series peak

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

oras is the series peak

:yeah:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll never forgive how they got rid of switch battles, the most fun battles, because they could barely even render double battles.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sun/moon and ultra sun/moon have so many quality of life changes and are generally better single player and multi player games than the earlier titles. The setting is more fun and there are a lot of solid monsters to befriend.

If you just want to play some Pokemon for a few weeks, pick those. Otherwise start with the others and work your way there, so you're not spoiled.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Sun/moon and ultra sun/moon have so many quality of life changes and are generally better single player and multi player games than the earlier titles. The setting is more fun and there are a lot of solid monsters to befriend.

It's a shame that characters never stop talking to allow you enjoy the QOL changes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's a shame that characters never stop talking to allow you enjoy the QOL changes.

I had to put down US for exactly this reason.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to play those ones but I feel like I might as well wait a few years for remakes at this point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

it's a shame it's not real life because the constant ⊙‿⊙ would probably creep them out enough to stop their monologues early

"Here's how you use pokeballs!"
⊙‿⊙

"You've won an island challenge!"
⊙‿⊙

"The fabric of space and time is shredding itself around us!"
⊙‿⊙

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pokemon X/Y is perfectly serviceable, but it's very "Baby's first 3D game" development-wise if that makes sense? You can tell they're still learning how to translate their games from 2D sprites to rendered models. I like the characters in it, and especially the rival being far better than Hau just being pure :haw: 100% of the time with zero chill.

Isn’t x/y the game with Tiamo, “I will make a team of Pokémon and show everyone the power of dance” and then only ever has a single corpfish and later it’s evolution despite a literal dancing pineapple existing?
And isn’t that also the game with Serena, who is basically reverse Gary/Blue in that you beat her in everything everywhere?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Darth TNT posted:

Isn’t x/y the game with Tiamo, “I will make a team of Pokémon and show everyone the power of dance” and then only ever has a single corpfish and later it’s evolution despite a literal dancing pineapple existing?
And isn’t that also the game with Serena, who is basically reverse Gary/Blue in that you beat her in everything everywhere?

Nah Tiamo gets multiple dancing Pokemon. No Ludicolo though.

Also you literally also beat Gary/Blue in everything everywhere? He literally never wins he just has a shittier attitude.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At the very least, Gary was always one step ahead of you. By the time you get to the Gyms, he's already beaten the leaders. He meets Bill before you, gets Cut from the SS Anne before you, and is already in the Rocket base by the time you get there. He beats the Pokemon League and becomes champion before you. The only person he can't beat is you, and I think it's supposed to be a "tortoise and the hare"-type situation in-universe where you have the edge you need because you take the extra time to prepare.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

oh boo hoo there's WRITING in my pokemon game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Amppelix posted:

This bit unironically

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

This bit unironically

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I swear some people would prefer a Pokemon to just be long narrow hallways of grass, trainers, and gyms with no story

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Environmental storytelling is a thing.

As are ENDLESS loving CUTSCENES, unfortunately.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh god, I'm sorry for asking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alxprit posted:

I swear some people would prefer a Pokemon to just be long narrow hallways of grass, trainers, and gyms with no story

Me I would prefer that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Pokemon: OOPS! All Writing Version.

The Let's Go games were great because Blue runs towards you to be like "oh hey lemme explain how gyms work- oh, you got the Boulder Badge. You know what your'e done. Smell ya later." And then you just play the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There are games where I am invested in the story and games where I just want the gameplay loop

Having both is good imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are games where I am invested in the story and games where I just want the gameplay loop

Having both is good imo

One reason why Gen V has all the 3DS games beat. More story than Pokemon games had up until then, without ten minutes of dialogue every ten steps you take.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Amppelix posted:

Some people don't play games for the story. Nothing wrong with that.

And until the later games put in a cutscene skip, you were basically kind of bogged down if the characters spat an excessive amount of words at you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Every pokemon game does have a story though, it's just that 90% of them have the exact same one. Even as a kid I found it boring.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There's also the minor fact that if you're replaying it, "an excessive amount of tutorials and cutscenes and unskippable dialogue" is a big factor in whether or not it's enjoyable

there's a reason nearly every randomizer of any game cuts out cutscenes/tutorials

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember really liking Mario vs Donkey Kong on the GBA. It's too bad the rest of the series were all focused on that lemmings style, though I did enjoy one or two of them. Still makes me sad that GBA games were never a thing on the 3DS e-shop.

Also, the Pokemon pinball games should've been on the 3DS virtual console!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I remember really liking Mario vs Donkey Kong on the GBA. It's too bad the rest of the series were all focused on that lemmings style, though I did enjoy one or two of them. Still makes me sad that GBA games were never a thing on the 3DS e-shop.

Also, the Pokemon pinball games should've been on the 3DS virtual console!

That first one was kinda a sequel to DK94 on the original Game Boy. Absolutely play that if you haven’t. It’s much better than Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth TNT posted:

Serena's deal is she's your friend, and she started the rivalry with the male protagonist as a way for the two to challenge eachother. Beating her just helps her learn how much further she has to go so she can keep on improving.