Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

16 Cable Pods iirc

Which really sucked because they weren't showing up on my visor at all so I had to hunt them all down manually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

The weekly mission for me was last week’s mission. Same planet, same objectives, same locations, everything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

StarkRavingMad posted:

Which really sucked because they weren't showing up on my visor at all so I had to hunt them all down manually

You've got to be pretty close to see the icon show up for glitches. It's not like the pickable flora, which show up from a long way out.

So it's unfortunately not a lot of use to rely on the Analysis Visor. A lot of people have been putting up communication beacons in the wilderness near their finds.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If I want to start doing portal stuff do I have to advance the storyline? I've got a couple of different saves and on my newer one I'd rather skip it if possible since it's not super thrilling the first time around :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SubponticatePoster posted:

If I want to start doing portal stuff do I have to advance the storyline? I've got a couple of different saves and on my newer one I'd rather skip it if possible since it's not super thrilling the first time around :v:

You can pay travelers at stations 100 nanites for where they came from, find their grave, and get a portal glyph. Repeat until you have them all. Then find an alien monolith, feed it a relic/casing/dagger for a portal location, and you're in business. I have no idea if this is faster than slogging through the quest again but, anecdotally, travelers didn't seem very common on stations for me.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Collect cobalt and crash market by selling it all, then buy it back for cheap. Do this for a while to get rich, then start buying ships and scrapping them immediately. You can then sell the ship modules you get for nanites. Then pay travellers for their grave locations for glyphs. You can also upgrade your gear with them.

I probably got a traveller on 1/3 - 1/4 stations I visited, so they are pretty common. Getting all the glyphs was quite fast.

My opinion on the Artemis storyline was that it was tedious, meandering dogshit that teased an end to my suffering far too many times to ever be allowed the benefit of the doubt. Talk about taking a decent idea and making me despise it through endless busywork and boring, repetitive missions.

But I'm finally free of the hellhole that is Euclid, and I've backed up my save so I never have to endure it again.

Edit: And what the gently caress is with this game CONSTANTLY changing your selected mission? For all of the things they've added to the game over the past 4 years, you'd think that wouldn't be an issue? And don't get me started on how the game seems to need 10 seconds after completing a mission to actually register that you have actually completed it.

It's a much better game when not interacting at all with any of its objectives.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 7, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I don't know, I think the storyline wasn't too bad. You get to a certain point and then you get a glyph transmitted to you every time you warp. You're supposed to be warping toward the center but I just randomly jumped around 16 times and then went back to what I wanted to do.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Nullsmack posted:

I don't know, I think the storyline wasn't too bad. You get to a certain point and then you get a glyph transmitted to you every time you warp. You're supposed to be warping toward the center but I just randomly jumped around 16 times and then went back to what I wanted to do.

Yeah, that's where the "every objevcive takes 10 seconds to register" really gets you.

At that point I'd looked up "when will this bullshit finally be over" and learned the mystical secret of 16. So warped my rear end off.

And then found if I didn't sit on my rear end for 10 seconds after each warp, they didn't count.

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick about it, but for a game that they completely pulled out of the shitter, (and I will defend Hello Games to the death against their twerpy online haters on that point) I would have expected better QOL on this front.

But my torment is over, either way. I'm now scouting out a billion paradise planets to build a base upon and then... Decide to play more Elder Scrolls Online once I realize that there's no point in mining gasses when I have 3.8 billion credits.

Or is there? Give me a reason to keep playing!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I haven't finished the Artremis storyline. Do I still need the Artremis Translator if I have an Advanced, or can i junk it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any must have mods for this these days? I downloaded the Fine Lod mod today, which fixes/enhances texture loading, object and grass pop-in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think you need the Artemis Translator for anything besides the one quest step that tells you to use it.

On the same note, is there any use for the special weapon mods you had to use to get the living ship? Can I junk those now that I have one?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

You haven't done everything in the game until you've tried out feeding herds of mini-dinosaurs (and other odd creatures). Sorry, I didn't have pics of anything particularly photogenic.

And after the feeding frenzy , watch where you step!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Shortly after this was taken, Baby Proof realized he'd just given them a taste for blood...

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This weeks weekend event is a pain in the arse. Here's spoilers about it to save you some pain.

It's on an extreme sentinel planet. You need to bait animals with sweetened compost to collect 90 leopard fruits from them. You are given 5 sweetened compost to start with. The story is that a traveller has been murdered while collecting data, probably a response to the poo poo that went on last weekend, lol.
I quit out of it because I was having a miserable time.
If you decide to do it take loads of sweetened compost with you

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helith posted:

This weeks weekend event is a pain in the arse. Here's spoilers about it to save you some pain.

It's on an extreme sentinel planet. You need to bait animals with sweetened compost to collect 90 leopard fruits from them. You are given 5 sweetened compost to start with. The story is that a traveller has been murdered while collecting data, probably a response to the poo poo that went on last weekend, lol.
I quit out of it because I was having a miserable time.
If you decide to do it take loads of sweetened compost with you

You get 2 fruit per animal you tame, the drat things vanish if you turn around and can't path for beans, and hostile sentinels spawn constantly.

I got about a third of the way there, somehow managed to launch my ship clipped into one of the giant terrain things, blew up, and the game crashed.

Yeah, I think I'll just be running dailies for that quicksilver.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 13, 2020

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
All the animals that dropped the fruit just stopped spawning for me after the first sentinel attacked me. So RIP an hour of my life.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

This has been my evening low stakes chill out game for a while now. Just north of 200 hours and may have finally run out of projects?

Got a neat a looking Fighter, Explorer, Hauler, Living Ship, and Exotic. All S-class with maxed out mods and slots. Keeping the sixth spot open to flip ships to quickly upgrade a ship if I want to replace one of the others.

Got a neat looking Multi-Tool and Freighter. S-class with maxed out mods and slots. I mean, there's a couple mod gaps here and there, but none of it is stuff I care enough about to pursue. About 2/3rds of my Frigates are S-class and the rest are coming along nicely.

Got a base at the top of a naturally hollow cuboid mountain on a flourishing planet with no weather, predators, or sentinels. Gas, mineral, and power hotspots and the planet's portal are all within build range. And the view is one of the best I've ever come across. Added bonus: it's got an orange sky so it looks like sunrise all day.

Finally set up mines for every extractable resource so I'm never more than a single jump from maxing out a stack of whatever should the need arise.

The only things I've got on my plate now are...

(1) maybe setting up a vacation home on a desert planet next door to my flourishing planet?
(2) taking long Freighter jumps to the core just to say I got there on my own (told ATLAS to gently caress off). ~200k down, ~500k to go.
(3) goofing around with daily and weekly missions in the meantime.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Just got this game a week ago and loving it. I think my main objective for a while is just to be a starship scrapper. I want to be the space equivalent of my cousins who always had 8 unfinished cars in their driveway. Just fixin up ships and vibing. That's the space-life for me.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Finally set up mines for every extractable resource so I'm never more than a single jump from maxing out a stack of whatever should the need arise.

A single stack? How delightfully casual... :smugbert:

I'm actually kind of hoping they do some new content drop to let me dick around another 20 or so hours. I made it about 140ish, without doing the freighter/frigate thing much, and I just don't have it in me to speedrun the reddit freighter over and over until it's maxed. Some new stuff to space that out would help. I get the feeling about running out of projects and want some new ridiculous thing to grind towards that actually has me building/optimizing stuff again.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thunder God Biden posted:

Just got this game a week ago and loving it. I think my main objective for a while is just to be a starship scrapper. I want to be the space equivalent of my cousins who always had 8 unfinished cars in their driveway. Just fixin up ships and vibing. That's the space-life for me.
I keep meaning to go around my system searching for distress calls to fix up wrecks for trade in. They respawn after a while but it'd be nice to clean up the neighborhood for a bit!

Mailer posted:

A single stack? How delightfully casual... :smugbert:
Haha, guilty as charged. Don't get me wrong, I love reading about try hard mining operations. And I can see how it'd be fun to plan them out, execute them, problem solve along the way, etc. It looks like a genuinely good time! I just cannot bring myself to bother.

quote:

I'm actually kind of hoping they do some new content drop to let me dick around another 20 or so hours. I made it about 140ish, without doing the freighter/frigate thing much, and I just don't have it in me to speedrun the reddit freighter over and over until it's maxed. Some new stuff to space that out would help. I get the feeling about running out of projects and want some new ridiculous thing to grind towards that actually has me building/optimizing stuff again.
Oof, yeah. Having a lot of other stuff to do is the only thing that made that Freighter grind do-able. I could stand maybe three Freighter runs a night. Took a while to get everything that way, but the second it became a chore I'd run off to do anything else to keep my sanity.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1306889309769945090?s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:hmmwrong:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

God, finally we're getting a Gek run orangeade terminal.

Took you long enough Sean.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/1306915778822889475

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Knock Knock

Who's there?

Orange

Orange Who?

Orange you glad they are still supporting and updating this game?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Orange

Orange Who?

Orange you glad they are still supporting and updating this game?

:boom:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
UPDATE INCOMING

ORIGINS

Next week sometime

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Hmm, might go Nomad for the first run, Corpo for the second.

edit: That is a great pulp sci-fi series that doesn't exist
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1306974283646857216

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 18, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The site is taking a big poo poo right now, here's the text:

quote:

Hello,

Next week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it ORIGINS.

Detailed patch notes will follow, along with next week’s release.

Four years ago we announced FOUNDATION, our first major update for No Man’s Sky, we promised “It won’t be our largest update, but it is the start of something”. Those words were true at the time, and they ring true for Origins. We called it Origins because it is the beginning of something new, as No Man’s Sky continues to grow and evolve.

Beyond came out last year, bringing VR and hugely expanded Online play, and since then we have focused on releasing more regular updates. SYNTHESIS, BYTEBEAT, LIVING SHIP, EXO MECH, CROSSPLAY, and DESOLATION have been some of our most popular, surprising and transformative updates – leading No Man’s Sky to have its biggest year to date.

We know there is a huge appetite in the community for No Man’s Sky content, and the team has worked our socks off this year to deliver in difficult circumstances. We have been quiet, but we are always listening and focusing on improving the game that our team loves and feels so passionately about.

This update will be another small step in a longer journey. We hope you can join us.

Thank you,
Sean

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wonder what’s it going to do. A revamped beginning/tutorial? An overhaul of the “reach a new galaxy” portion? Origins can be a hell of a lot of things with regards to what’s in this game.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

An overhaul of the “reach a new galaxy” portion?

My pipe dream would be an Origin into a new universe/set of galaxies for better/more interesting worldgen stuff so they can make new things without breaking everyone's builds.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Them phrasing it as a "small step in a longer journey" is stopping me thinking too big. Like I'd call the Exomech update a small step. So yeah, maybe tailored tutorials/starter missions depending on the biome you start on.

As far as pipe dream additions go:
- Revamp of base building
- Ability to have co-owned bases so you can work on them whether the other people are online or not
- A storyline where someone is allowed a legit happy existence. Rather than a variant of: oh hey we're getting an anomalous signal. Commencing investig <<message ends>>

But none of them are this update and will likely never happen anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did they ever re-balanced the harder/permadeath difficulties to not require triple the materials to build anything?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I thought Exo Mech was the last update? What was Desolation about again?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Abandoned freighters floating in space, raid them for goodies / horrors from beyond. The tree head guy in the Nexus gives out a free distress beacon transceiver each week that lets you find one, or there should be a salvage merchant in each station that will sell you them for a few million units.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Fwoderwick posted:

Them phrasing it as a "small step in a longer journey" is stopping me thinking too big. Like I'd call the Exomech update a small step. So yeah, maybe tailored tutorials/starter missions depending on the biome you start on.

As far as pipe dream additions go:
- Ability to have co-owned bases so you can work on them whether the other people are online or not
- A storyline where someone is allowed a legit happy existence. Rather than a variant of: oh hey we're getting an anomalous signal. Commencing investig <<message ends>>

But none of them are this update and will likely never happen anyway.

Given the art style of the poster graphic and phrasing/framing I have a feeling this will involve changes to some of the fundamental procgen systems. Or maybe other deeper systemic changes. They may be warning against expecting a 'big' update to avoid their player base getting bothered over a lack of new surface content. Content oriented updates like Abyss and Visions didn't get pre-announcements like this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Abandoned freighters floating in space, raid them for goodies / horrors from beyond. The tree head guy in the Nexus gives out a free distress beacon transceiver each week that lets you find one, or there should be a salvage merchant in each station that will sell you them for a few million units.

Oops, for some reason I thought that was part of the Exo Mech update.

So that's what the scrap dealer is about, I thought he wanted to sell me beacons to completely normal crashed freighters, ha ha. :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe they’ll be adding things that showed up in the original trailers or try going back to their roots. poo poo like animal herd mentalities, alien cities, sandworms.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Fwoderwick posted:

Base building doesn't need a revamp imho, it just needs fixing. Higher complexity limit, fixing all the stupid snapping bugs, and most importantly fixing the bug where rock you've tunnelled out comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

toiletbrush posted:

Base building doesn't need a revamp imho, it just needs fixing. Higher complexity limit, fixing all the stupid snapping bugs, and most importantly fixing the bug where rock you've tunnelled out comes back.

I mean all that is included in my dreams.txt revamping. Things like the fact that cube, prefab and material construction don't play well with eachother is pretty annoying.

But I'd like to be be able to build more dynamic bases too, like being able to use power circuits to move structures or automating harvesting/crafting. I'd also like to be able to expand the presence and function of aliens on your base. Hell, even something basic like more control over colours would be nice.

It's great for making cool looking places without much effort but for me once the initial building excitement dies down it starts to feel pretty lifeless.