Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Statutory Ape posted:

no peak performance, no list

ah dang you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:siren::siren::siren:ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS!:siren::siren::siren:

is now live on the forums. Go the Modern Trek thread quote this post by your gracious Gul esperterra if you too would like to EXPERIENCE BIJ!

Return to your normal duties.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I so look forward to experiencing bij

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm trying to avoid watching another season of Arrow, what episode do I show my wife to convince her to watch Star Trek instead? This is an emergency.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Civil Defense.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Civil Defense.

Are you just saying that because of Bajoran Workers?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
my brain is broken from star trek. i loudly shouted "IS THAT GENERAL loving CHANG" while watching Knives out with some friends and they all got mad at me.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my brain is broken from star trek. i loudly shouted "IS THAT GENERAL loving CHANG" while watching Knives out with some friends and they all got mad at me.

It's fine I had the same reaction when my wife took me to see the movie where he played the guy's dad that came out when he was old then he died. I don't even think he quoted Shakespeare in the original Klingon once.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This may be a question too obscure for even this thread:
Anyone have recs for good model kits of the Enterprise? Can be TOS or TNG. The current ones I’m finding on amazon have reviews that make me a little unsure

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Unmature posted:

Anyone have recs for good model kits of the Enterprise? Can be TOS or TNG. The current ones I’m finding on amazon have reviews that make me a little unsure

More of a general recommendation from when I built my Defiant, but try to avoid looking up pictures of the filming models as a reference. The colors they used look wonky under normal lighting anyway and even the 4 foot model has more than enough detail put on by professionals to make you feel bad about how your AMT model is going.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've wanted the Bandai TMP Enterprise kit for awhile but it's $lolexpensive.

Otherwise I think most of the old AMT kits are based on super old molds and all but the hero ships (pretty much just the original 1701 and maybe the Sovereign-class I think?) have been out of print for awhile. A bunch of the kits that I remember buying as a kid (but never building) like the AMT Excelsior and Miranda for like $10 each at Big Lots are eBaying here in Germany for well over 100 each.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Polar Lights kits used to be pretty good and some of the newer ones have optional lighting kits you can install and they look pretty nice.

I personally haven’t bought one of their sets since like 2011 though, so I can’t vouch for their current quality.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

More of a general recommendation from when I built my Defiant, but try to avoid looking up pictures of the filming models as a reference. The colors they used look wonky under normal lighting anyway and even the 4 foot model has more than enough detail put on by professionals to make you feel bad about how your AMT model is going.

I thought the colors on the Enterprise-D I found on amazon looked weird as hell. All those blue squares which I’m sure are accurate to some degree but I’m film it doesn’t look like that to me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Enterprise-D is going to be an extreme case, because probert designed and painted it to be eggshell blue with teal and even green highlights on it and then they decided they didn't like it so they corrected it out to grey in lighting and in post. (Ironically later on they ended up going with a similar blue for Voyager and keeping it)

But as a result models can be weird because they often reference shots of the filming model even though the coloration was deliberately modified.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 19, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nah Voyager was grey as well in the show

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can see a lot more of the blue on the HD remastered stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Nah Voyager was grey as well in the show

She's still predominantly grey, but a lot lighter and with a lot more of a blue tint visible most of the other TNG-era ships. Like, look at Voyager's intro at DS9 vs the D at DS9

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 19, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

You can see a lot more of the blue on the HD remastered stuff.

Yeah, it really shows up in 11001001:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Speaking of ship models, I got the Eaglemoss XL Orville recently.

Eyeballing it, it seems like it's fairly close to 1:1400 scale, or at least close enough I'm happy to display it with the rest of the fleet.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Speaking of ship models, I got the Eaglemoss XL Orville recently.

Eyeballing it, it seems like it's fairly close to 1:1400 scale, or at least close enough I'm happy to display it with the rest of the fleet.

We mainlined The Orville last week and loved it. I’ve been coveting that since. These photos might convince me, it looks real nice.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well this makes a lot more sense now:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unmature posted:

Have you checked your nearest toy aisle

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Unmature posted:

The Ex Astris Scientia guy has a page full of reviews of various model kits. I've only built two of them, and those were both quite some years ago, but as best I can recall, his impressions agree with mine.

Like the very worst feature of the AMT/Ertl Enterprise-A is these utterly pointless little separate pieces of the saucer rim that have to be balanced in place and glued in. There was no reason at all for them to be separate pieces and they were an absolute bitch to get lined up straight. In fact, when one of these models ended up as a desktop model in TNG, whoever built it didn't even bother with them and just left a bunch of long blank spaces in the edge of the saucer. (They also got the warp engines on sideways, for some reason. I don't even know how the hell they did that.)

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Unmature posted:

The original big AMT Enterprise-D was an excellent kit and looks great with an aftermarket decal set.

Some of the other old AMT kits have accuracy issues, they are from a time when you couldn’t easily look up photos of filming models on the internet.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Not a model kit, but I’m usually consistently astounded by the Eaglemoss replicas. My big rear end die-cast D is proudly on my office desk.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

My big rear end die-cast D is proudly on my office desk.

Expect a meeting with HR on Monday.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Not a model kit, but I’m usually consistently astounded by the Eaglemoss replicas. My big rear end die-cast D is proudly on my office desk.

They're not perfect by any means, but Eaglemoss puts out some really great stuff, yes. I don't normally indulge in nerd memorabilia, I think it's kind of weird and sad most of the time to be bluntly honest, but I broke down and bought basically the whole post-TNG/First Contact Federation ship roster over the course of last year and they look absolutely fantastic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Followup question: Is there a better place to ask for people’s favorite Trek comics and books? If not then, pretend I just asked that.
And if it’s been discussed to death on here what page should I jump to?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had the hand sized metal enterprise D has a kid (still do somewhere). It had a detachable saucer section.

One day in the living room I "went to warp" by spinning around really fast and the saucer came off and slammed right into the TV. I about poo poo myself.

Fortunately, CRTs were made of stout stuff and it had nary a scratch. Still never told my parents.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Going to warp” would be a great euphemism for furiously masturbating

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Sorry Dad, Councillor Troi broke the tv.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

Sorry Dad, Councillor Troi broke the tv.

I love how Troi gets blamed for crashing the Enterprise when the exact sequence of events in Generations is literally "Deanna! Take the helm!" followed IMMEDIATELY by "Helm control is offline!" The gently caress was she supposed to do? Get out and push? :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how Troi gets blamed for crashing the Enterprise when the exact sequence of events in Generations is literally "Deanna! Take the helm!" followed IMMEDIATELY by "Helm control is offline!" The gently caress was she supposed to do? Get out and push? :v:

she should have sensed the ship was in trouble

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She should have used the manual steering column

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Get out and push? :v:

We'll beat those Klingon devils!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She should have used the manual steering column

Also a great euphemism for masturbation

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love that the Enterprise-E has a joystick. So fun. So stupid :3:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

There’s big galleries of peoples Star Trek model kit builds at https://www.starshipmodeler.com/ and https://culttvman.com/main/main-catagories/star-trek/

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OlyrAt4YsE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

HD DAD posted:

“Going to warp” would be a great euphemism for furiously masturbating
Getting whipped while my girlfriend makes up different colored alerts.