Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

lol thats not even remotely close to what is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Never let the truth get in the way of a good cartoon

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The cops choking that dude and punching his teeth out is brutal

I can't believe they are doing that to well informed, peaceful, altruistic protesters who have the health of the community foremost in their hearts

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ACAB means ACAB you morons.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yet another loving fat cat on a seven-figure salary displaying a newfound concern for mental health and poor people that definitely has nothing to do with his own business interests:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/melbourne-uni-chief-says-victoria-must-address-difficult-ethical-questions-20200919-p55x82.html

It baffles me that you would try trotting this out now, as we enter the home stretch. Yeah for sure man let's open the borders up and let cases spike again after all this, sounds like a loving plan

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Robodebt court documents show government was warned 76 times debts were not legally enforceable

quote:

The federal government was warned 76 times by a tribunal that Centrelink robodebts were not legally enforceable, according to court documents.

Gordon Legal claims that the dozens of judgments– which were previously hidden from public view – show the government knew the scheme was unlawful because it declined to appeal on every occasion.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

freebooter posted:

Yet another loving fat cat on a seven-figure salary displaying a newfound concern for mental health and poor people that definitely has nothing to do with his own business interests:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/melbourne-uni-chief-says-victoria-must-address-difficult-ethical-questions-20200919-p55x82.html

It baffles me that you would try trotting this out now, as we enter the home stretch. Yeah for sure man let's open the borders up and let cases spike again after all this, sounds like a loving plan

This is so loving stupid and it's whipped out constantly

These people don't understand that it's not just people dying, it's that you won't be able to go outside because you'll almost be guaranteed of catching a serious illness/

America is in denial at the moment because realistically only a small number of people have caught it so far - but that's just because it takes time to infect the entire population. which it loving will because it's a pandemic. Then what? Be right back love just gonna pop down to the shops, I've got my full hazmat suit on, man it's so good to be back to normal and all it took was killing all of our parents, and also just those two or three friends who have compromised immune systems, this was totally worth it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It must be nice to gently caress up 76 times and still get away with it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-24/same-sex-marriage-survey-damaging-to-mental-health/10745800

Remember this bullshit unnecessary thing that was incredibly damaging to peoples mental health, but those concerns were dismissed by the government in a disgustingly flippant fashion?

This is all I can think about when people point to the lock-downs, which are a necessity, and say "But think of the mental health of everybody!"

Its still an issue of course, one that shouldn't be dismissed. But maybe there's more we can do as a country and society for the mental health of Australians than think of the economy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Carnaticum posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-24/same-sex-marriage-survey-damaging-to-mental-health/10745800

Remember this bullshit unnecessary thing that was incredibly damaging to peoples mental health, but those concerns were dismissed by the government in a disgustingly flippant fashion?

This is all I can think about when people point to the lock-downs, which are a necessity, and say "But think of the mental health of everybody!"

Its still an issue of course, one that shouldn't be dismissed. But maybe there's more we can do as a country and society for the mental health of Australians than think of the economy.

And the now-PM refused to vote in the end because he's an extra big homophobe.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
That cartoonist's drawing for a website that's writing on conspiracy theories. Anti-vaccine, high speed rail, 5G, Bill Gates, microchips, climate change. All the major media are in on it except Sky News. But he's got these anti-authority cartoons, he's like an Australian Garrison

e: Ah but I briefly forgot all the Victorian police are Labor stormtroopers now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can Victorians stop licking doorknobs for like five minutes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What does this mean

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We did, that's why we had 14 cases yesterday

We're allowed to start licking them again if the 14 day average stays below 50 by September 28

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JBP posted:

What does this mean

Ghost Leviathan is asking for Victorians to stop licking doorknobs in a manner that suggests such a thing is not actually possible

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

abigserve posted:

This is so loving stupid and it's whipped out constantly

These people don't understand that it's not just people dying, it's that you won't be able to go outside because you'll almost be guaranteed of catching a serious illness/

America is in denial at the moment because realistically only a small number of people have caught it so far - but that's just because it takes time to infect the entire population. which it loving will because it's a pandemic. Then what? Be right back love just gonna pop down to the shops, I've got my full hazmat suit on, man it's so good to be back to normal and all it took was killing all of our parents, and also just those two or three friends who have compromised immune systems, this was totally worth it

Exactly. Even if you're a complete loving ghoul who's happy for people to die as long as The Economy can keep going, having Australia eliminate the virus and keep the international border closed is going to be way better for The Economy than having us chug along like America or Europe with a constant death toll and plummeting consumer confidence. I don't think it's unreasonable to open to foreign students as long as they do their two weeks quarantine, and I don't think two weeks is particularly onerous if you're here for a full semester or year (as opposed to tourists).

The most galling part is when he says Australia has become a "victim of its own success" because it's been eliminated in 6 states and now people have that "expectation." So basically, the plebs have figured out that they don't actually have to sacrifice their lives just because the captains of industry want them to. What a disaster.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter posted:

Exactly. Even if you're a complete loving ghoul who's happy for people to die as long as The Economy can keep going, having Australia eliminate the virus and keep the international border closed is going to be way better for The Economy than having us chug along like America or Europe with a constant death toll and plummeting consumer confidence. I don't think it's unreasonable to open to foreign students as long as they do their two weeks quarantine, and I don't think two weeks is particularly onerous if you're here for a full semester or year (as opposed to tourists).

The most galling part is when he says Australia has become a "victim of its own success" because it's been eliminated in 6 states and now people have that "expectation." So basically, the plebs have figured out that they don't actually have to sacrifice their lives just because the captains of industry want them to. What a disaster.

Letting people die is a short term solution aka the only acceptable answer.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You don't live in the MOST LIVEABLE CITY IN THE WORLD without doing trendy poo poo like licking doorknobs and huffing the fumes that waft out of Melbourne University.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Gridlocked posted:

You don't live in the MOST LIVEABLE CITY IN THE WORLD without doing trendy poo poo like licking doorknobs and huffing the fumes that waft out of Melbourne University.

wandering very close to a river right now mr gridlorked

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gridlocked posted:

Adelaide's not in Victoria though :confused:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
See? The water in the Brisbane River is clear as day. Don't worry about it. Let's go for a swim.

*emerges from water*

NEEDS MORE DAKKA.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

GotLag posted:

ok i thoiught grids post was bad but lmao

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

“If that decision stops people dying now from the virus, what are the economic consequences of that for people and how will that play out in terms of future mortality? It would be crazy if, hypothetically, we stop 100 people [dying] from the virus but over the next two years, 200 people died from [the effects of] poverty and mental health."

drat dude that's really thought provoking! Do you have modelling that shows that saving 100 people from Coronavirus will cause 200 people to die from poverty and mental health? oh

Also the entire conceit that if the government lifted restrictions we'd be right back at 100% economy is utterly insane on its face. Even the most cursory look at republican states in the USA will show that actually an unchecked pandemic doesn't stimulate the economy! They've got a huge chunk of people who are willingly killing themselves with the virus, and a smaller but still sizeable chunk of people terrified of normal economic activity for fear that the former group will infect them. That's not actually a conducive environment for a functioning society and economy!!!!

i'm so loving tired of this poo poo

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
"Sure, we might save 100 people from dying of covid now, but what if the economic cost of saving those people means that, years down the line, 200 people die from poverty and mental health issues?"

"You mean like how if we spend a bit more money to improve social welfare, safety nets and so forth, we could save countless lives for laughably little money?"

"N-.. no... that's not what I meant... uh.. you see, there's this little thing called Freedom--"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If I don’t have the freedom to condemn my descendants to slavery under Immortan Joe then am I really even truly free?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Newspoll Spring - APPROVAL RAISED: Scomo

(but only +1)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

uvar posted:

Newspoll Spring - APPROVAL RAISED: Scomo

(but only +1)

Is it 97 yet

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

GotLag posted:

They said livable city, not livable Country town.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I miss Bill

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SMH has an article about our mate jordies. No idea what the text is.

Also big lol at framing not making a decision on keeping/extending the original Coronavirus supplement until October as remaining agile.

E:

Social Services Minister Anne Ruston posted:

We will not be making announcements in budget. We don't know what Australia is going to look like on the other side of this pandemic. We don't know when it's going to end. So we will remain agile and we will continue to provide the support that is needed for Australia and Australians.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 21, 2020

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
yep, nothing boosts consumer confidence like making the income for a whole bunch of consumers subject to the indeterminate whims of a government known for its austerity leanings

great job anne ruston

great job

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

uvar posted:

If the previous tweet doesn't show up in the embed, this is about a lockdown protestor's one weird trick to avoid being fined, "they" are the police. The thread is longer in both directions.

https://twitter.com/sexenheimer/status/1307168680787107840

I've known Cam for a little over 15 years now (He was part of the original FightDemBack crew). His tolerance for wading through hours of completely loving insane footage from these wingnuts is far beyond mine. I just get angry and stop it 30 seconds in and then hours later, he's still extracting comedy out of it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

heaps of articles about friendlyjordies getting upset that hes as racist as a wogboy skit and totally glossing over all the corruption that, if Barilaro was not committing, probably wouldnt have resulted in friendlyjordies making the videos in the first place?

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Laserface posted:

heaps of articles about friendlyjordies getting upset that hes as racist as a wogboy skit and totally glossing over all the corruption that, if Barilaro was not committing, probably wouldnt have resulted in friendlyjordies making the videos in the first place?

Yeah I just read a SMH piece about it and there wasn't even an attempt to address whether his claims were true at all and what that means, just decorum debate over the way it was done.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's not like Barilaro's poo poo compelled racism but. in retrospect maybe being a public fuckhead was a poor idea

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
A whole of racism is bad, but it is okay if one of our guys does it vibe is coming out of this thread.

Everyone involved in this horrible, Barilaro and Jordan.

Christ what is wrong with you people.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Launchpad McQuack posted:

A whole of racism is bad, but it is okay if one of our guys does it vibe is coming out of this thread.

Everyone involved in this horrible, Barilaro and Jordan.

Christ what is wrong with you people.

Didn't say it was okay? Said that it's alarming that nothing is being asked about the claims made? Rein in your righteous indignity please.

(Okay, "decorum debate" might have made it sound flippant. It's not. Jordies is a piece of poo poo and I've said as much previously - but ignoring rampant corruption is a major loving problem with the fifth estate that isn't going away. I'd say the issues with an elected member of parliament with tremendous power abusing said power might trump the issues of a dipshit youtuber in terms of the 'public interest test' for extensive media coverage.)

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 21, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Jordie is also apparently being investigated for a stalking a journalist and is claiming it's a press conspiracy to 'cancel' him, so maybe there could be a better messenger for shining a light on political corruption than Millennial Latham

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seemlar posted:

Jordie is also apparently being investigated for a stalking a journalist and is claiming it's a press conspiracy to 'cancel' him, so maybe there could be a better messenger for shining a light on political corruption than Millennial Latham

from reading the article there is a non-zero chance its hildebrand so who gives a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MSM can't fight for their fellow elite political classmen here so they have to take the fallback idpol position over a super Mario Italian accent.