Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AEMINAL posted:

I have about 3000 hours of VR gameplay in VRchat, some sessions going for 12 hours or more on the weekend thanks to that index comfort.

I'm relatively anonymous here so I'm not gonna lie, I've slept in VR a few times without issue.

Full body social VR is a helluva drug, especially in these quarantine times.

This is intriguing to me, you're already doing the full Snow Crash life?
Huh.

I can see myself falling into a hole like that too if something grabs me. Perhaps I should jump in VR chat and see if I too will sleep with my Index on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AEMINAL posted:

I have about 3000 hours of VR gameplay in VRchat, some sessions going for 12 hours or more on the weekend thanks to that index comfort.

I'm relatively anonymous here so I'm not gonna lie, I've slept in VR a few times without issue.

I've fallen asleep more times than I can say, with a VR headset on.

I keep my Go on my bedside table, and its great if i want to watch a show before bed. Instead of a tv sitting somewhere, I can just lay back with a giant screen on the ceiling essentially. Unfortunately its also really easy to fall asleep in at that point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I could probably do 12+ hours of VR in a day if my retail battered body didn't start hurting if I stand up in one spot for more then an hour.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm a sweaty uncomfortable mess after 45 minutes max.

Now that I think about it I'm always drunk when I'm in VR. Is there VRAA?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I keep my Go on my bedside table, and its great if i want to watch a show before bed. Instead of a tv sitting somewhere, I can just lay back with a giant screen on the ceiling essentially. Unfortunately its also really easy to fall asleep in at that point.

I think this is just the new "falling asleep with the TV on" you're just as early adopter

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DrBox posted:

I appreciate the warning. I have had pretty good luck with them so far for my micro usb devices for charging only. The one I was looking at for quest was a 20 pin with decent reviews so data should work ok. If I end up trying it I'll let people know how it goes.

I bought this one when I first got my Quest and it has worked fine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMKZ8XD/

The USB cable isn't directional because it transmits data both ways. It isn't something like an HDMI cable that only sends a signal.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that the magnetic lock can easily break. If you are using Steam VR, that's it, game over. Once you reconnect the cable, Steam VR won't detect your headset was plugged in again so you have to ALT+F4 out of your game and restart everything. Use some zip ties to make sure gravity won't yank the connector off.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-unlisted-apps/

quote:

At Connect, Facebook revealed concrete details of its “off store” Oculus app distribution system launching next year.
It will allow developers to create unlisted apps on Facebook’s Quest platform. Such apps can be shared via URL or keys. That URL will open in the Oculus mobile app, which will offer to install it on Quest like a store app. These apps will not appear when browsing the Oculus store, but will show in your Library and support automatic updates.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An interesting AMA with RoadtoVR founder
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ivf2ek/quest_2_ama_with_ben_lang_from_roadtovrcom/

quote:

From most comfortable to least comfortable, I'd rank this way:
1 Rift CV1 = Quest 2 Elite Strap
2 Quest 1
3 Quest 2 soft strap
Quest 2 with Elite Strap is a lot like Quest 1 strap but with better balance and a bit better fit. Only thing I miss from the Quest 1 strap is that it's 'springy' which makes it easy to put on and take off without re-adjusting the tightness.

No at this point I'd say Quest 1 users should wait. One Day 1, Quest 2 is going to feel a lot like Quest 1 except for the resolution.
It's going to take Oculus and developers to roll out patches (90Hz default, improved Link, higher textures in games, etc) which will get Quest 2 to really feel like Quest 2. Right now you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a Quest S.

The front seems to get a bit warmer, but inside the headset (ie: between the lenses and your face) actually seems to stay a bit cooler, which is nice.
The audio between Quest 1 and 2 feel pretty much on par to me in terms of volume and quality. Both are passable but I still wish they had a better audio solution because it adds so much to immersion.

(about black levels) Pretty much the same as other LCD displays. So if you've ever seen black in any modern LCD VR headset (Rift S, Index, etc) that's essentially what you can expect from Quest 2.

To preface this, I play Beat Saber at Expert+, but I've never reached the point of doing the 'claw grip' or anything like that.
I like the Quest 2 controllers more generally, and for Beat Saber. The 'face' is larger, leaving a large space to best your thumb without pressing any of the buttons. It's makes it easier to feel like you're going a full 'grab' than when your thumb has to be hovering over a face button.
The wrist straps on Quest 2 are circular, woven bands rather than the fabric strips like on Quest.
If you've ever used an original Touch controller (from Rift CV1), the Quest 2 controllers are nearly identical.
The only downside I see to the Quest 2 controllers is that they feel like they're made for slightly larger hands. So people with small hands coming from Quest 1 controllers might think they feel a bit big for their taste.

(SDE, resolution) Ok so... screen door effect is the unlit space between pixels. It's effectively invisible on Quest 2 and G2. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to see evidence that the view in front of you is made up of pixels. 'No screen door' and 'retina resolution' are different things entirely.

(talking about Elite strap) The only thing I miss from the Quest 1 strap is the 'springy' action that makes it super easy to put on / take off without needing to re-adjust the tightness.

Menu clarity/text legibility on Quest 2 is higher than Index.
Games like First Steps will definitely look sharper than original Quest because the SDE on Quest 2 is basically gone

(fov) In my experience the middle IPD setting on Quest 2 is pretty much the same as Quest 1. I don't see any clipping on the narrowest setting, but I do see a tiny bit of clipping on the widest setting.
The amount of clipping that you will see is to some extent dependent on the individual; how recessed your eyes are and how tightlight you fit the strap will influence it.
People call it 'clipping' because you're seeing the end of the display, which is somehow more jarring than just seeing the edge of the lens, probably because it's in focus.

Quest 2's face pad is actually fine foam directly against your skin, whereas Quest 1 is foam covered with fabric. So there is a difference, but unfortunately I can't say if it will be positive or negative for you!

Battery life so far has been the same for me between Quest 1 and 2.

I think the Quest 2 is coming hot. It's 72hz default because Guardian was still not updated, Link will be updated later, etc I have the feeling the software side of the equation will need 2-3 months of updates to have a real Quest 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De9L0SxogOw
This looks like Echo VR but with guns and minus zero gravity

FB has uploaded the Connect sessions to Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/oculusvr/videos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I find it mildly amusing that while we're banning Chinese-sponsored social media this weekend (tik-tok); you need an American-sponsored social media account to login to this hardware

Honestly the Chinese-sponsored part isn't even the actual reason TikTok is being banned, it's because President Cheeto Face's Klan rally from a few months back was disrupted by American users on TikTok.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

If you've ever used an original Touch controller (from Rift CV1), the Quest 2 controllers are nearly identical.

This is great. The other than the somewhat short battery life the CV1 touch controllers have been there best for me to use so I'm glad they're largely just going back to that design.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Not sure if this was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgVK73AUTE

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

My right Touch controller was always on borrowed time after I smacked it so hard the stick snapped off. Today the stick stopped moving to the center and it's click in button was stuck.

Left most part had broke in two, the gray part was missing a piece, and one of the spindly wires on the curved part had snapped.

Gorilla glued the broken parts back together and stuffed it all back into the controller. Working better than it has in a while. :toot:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thats some impressive repair work

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

AEMINAL posted:

I passed out like that a couple times but I seem to shake the headset off in my sleep pretty quickly. Also terrified of bending the speaker brackets.

Leal posted:

I could probably do 12+ hours of VR in a day if my retail battered body didn't start hurting if I stand up in one spot for more then an hour.

Related to the above, but this is why the standard Full Body Tracking User Position is "laying on a couch" or "leaned against some pillows or whatever on the floor".

e: Proest tip for VR comfort regardless of what you do: Have a spare face gasket or two hanging around. There is nothing worse than working up a mild sweat in Beat Sabre or whatever, taking a break, only to put back on a loving cold rear end wet headset :barf:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 20, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Another tip is those silicon inserts that go over the cloth mask. Very smooth to the skin, and you can just easily wipe it off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

I've purposefully taken a nap in VR on Deckard's couch in Blade Runner 9732.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Origami Dali posted:

Didn't Carmack say they can't push the new processor even close to its fullest potential because of thermal issues?
Integrate a heatsink into the goggle design and make it loosely look like Geordie's visor.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You people are crazy, with 'sleeping in VR' and all that. You need 4 seconds to remove the headset and sleep normally ffs.

By the way, with the flurry of news, I don't think we have put enough attention to Sniper Eltite VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_Zb2Kq4LE

If they are heavily reusing assets from SE3 and SE4 (and no reason to not do it, tbh), then surely it will be a full blown FPS VR game, like HL Alyx, and there are so few of those right now. And it seems properly adapted in the weapon handling.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

By the way, with the flurry of news, I don't think we have put enough attention to Sniper Eltite VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_Zb2Kq4LE

Going by that trailer maybe they should've called it Submachine Gunner Elite.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Been a while since I looked at VR but Quest 2 has my interest. Is occulus link still not great?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Been a while since I looked at VR but Quest 2 has my interest. Is occulus link still not great?

Quest 2 is probably the best game in town if you don't care about the Facebook thing

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
This is my feeling, I won't use it enough to justify the Index or G2 Reverb but Quest 2 is a great price and wife and kids will do beat saber so should be a win.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

sigher posted:

Do you know anywhere I can get this? Your post was the first I'd heard of it. Seems it was taken down by some sorta cease-and-desist from Steam, even though the dude that made it had WB support.

Edit: Found it, didn't come up on my first search. For anyone else interested: https://br9732.quentinlengele.com/

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I rebought Alyx and did some fiddling around and managed to make it run mostly well and I'm glad i put the effort into it really was a great experience. I went in completely blind so all the gameplay and story beats were fresh. The distillery chapter was outstanding, definitely my favorite part.

Lack of melee options felt kinda weird coming off Boneworks but it wasn't a game ruiner or anything, would have been nice to have an easier way to take out headcrabs without spending 3 pistol shots though but it really only frustrated me in the beginning chapters when ammo felt scarce even digging around.

My only other real complaint I guess was throwing grenades (and bottles during the distillery level) felt super finnicky and this is a problem I had in Boneworks too so I dunno if It's the Rift controllers or me, or maybe both, idk. but it did lead to some funny moments where sometimes itd move like an inch infront of me and I had to scramble to a safe spot. It didn't happen super often, like maybe every third grenade but it kind of put a damper on the last section where you gotta chuck grenades down those hallways since they never really would go where I wanted them to. But that's like the only criticism I had at all. Everything else was fantastic and I really hope they do a follow up and valve doesn't leave it in development limbo.

I was a big fan of them going more into the fleshy combine technology stuff. The bugs in the medic machines, the weird growths they use as power generators. The whole Xen infestation etc.

Alyx's back and forth with Russel was also fantastic, both from a humor standpoint and also just worldbuilding how the new generation knows practically nothing of pre-combine life and how bad things have really got.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sigher posted:

Blade Runner 9732? What's that!?

*googles*

So... its not available anymore? Damnit.

Turin Turambar posted:

If they are heavily reusing assets from SE3 and SE4 (and no reason to not do it, tbh), then surely it will be a full blown FPS VR game, like HL Alyx, and there are so few of those right now. And it seems properly adapted in the weapon handling.

This is rapidly changing. AAA is going VR right now.

We have on the horizon:

X-Wing VR
Medal of Honor VR
Splinter Cell VR
Assassin's Creed VR
Hitman VR
Sniper Elite VR

That's a lot of major IPs.

The days of only having indie games and tech demos for VR are pretty much ending.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You can still download BR9732, I think there's a link on dudes website. He got a cease and desist from the license owners, so he just can't work on it anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Origami Dali posted:

You can still download BR9732, I think there's a link on dudes website. He got a cease and desist from the license owners, so he just can't work on it anymore.

Ah sweet, found the site.

Its too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Walrus posted:

Will give them a listen and make some maps this weekend probably.

In the meantime a few of my past favourites I've done that you haven't played yet (i have a shitload in my back catelogue you haven't gotten to really):
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/b0db44ab-7a57-11e8-8c04-0a580a200115 - longest one I've ever done at half an hour - really really good workout. I did it all in one go myself so it's fairly well paced to be able to finish in one shot while still being pretty strenuous. fun mashup electro funk stuff.

Just finished this one. The beginning is excellent. I love the way the end gets way harder and faster, really made me dig deep.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Origami Dali posted:

Got a link other than the br9732 site? that's just a template

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jusupov posted:

Got a link other than the br9732 site? that's just a template

https://br9732.quentinlengele.com

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

sigher posted:

Same... but my goto 'I really need to go to sleep cause I have work tomorrow' is usually falling asleep on the couch in the hoverpod thing in Driftwood but there are a lot of great spots in environments for this as well

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This Oculus video is unlisted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kwj-VX_Axo

The interesting tidbit is this, which I had seen it in a screenshot some days ago:

It made me think how the hell they were rendering 50% more pixels with just 33% more gpu. Usually there is a linear relationship between gpu performance and pure pixel amount. Now that I finally found the video, from the phrasing I think that number is the 'free resources' in comparison with the Quest 1, in other words it's after rendering the bigger resolution. So possibly the gpu is closer to 90% more powerful than Q1, they are spending a good part of that power in rendering the same but in bigger res and still have some gpu budget (the 33%) for the developers to put more polygons or whatever.

It actually fits with this Camack tweet

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

So I set my Index to 68 IPD to see what the quest 2 would be like with my 73 ipd... Definitely not buying one now, my head started to swim and I started to feel both nausea and eyestrain.

I wonder if that's actually why I don't use my Index nearly as much as I used my Rift CV1, simply because of the maximum 70 IPD making it less pleasant to use, unconsciously? I can focus my eyes and see fine, but I guess it's just unpleasant to do so.

This is horrible, I'm basically left out of modern VR because of my giant head.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You have a loving index...

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Butt Discussin posted:

So I set my Index to 68 IPD to see what the quest 2 would be like with my 73 ipd... Definitely not buying one now, my head started to swim and I started to feel both nausea and eyestrain.

The Index and Quest 2 are so different this test is meaningless. There's no guarantee your giant IPD will work with the Q2, but it's going to be much better than trying to use the Index at an equivalently wrong IPD.

The Index has a tiny sweet spot for positioning the lenses whereas the Q2/S/Go have very large areas that your eyes can be in and still get a (mostly) good picture.

With a 73 IPD you're already 3 off from the widest Index goes and you'd be 5 off from the widest Q2 goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Q2 was as good or better in that situation.

EDIT:
Just found this Reddit discussion on Index IPD:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex...mments_view_all

It seems there is some extra give in the Index IPD springs and you can kinda force a higher IPD. Might be worth trying!

Another thing of note from that conversation, multiple people say that they need a higher IPD on Index than they did on other headsets. So setting your IPD to 68 on the Index might be an even worse representation of the Q2 than I thought.

TIP fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 20, 2020

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I suppose it's worth a try, though I'd better go through amazon to make the return easy if it doesn't work.

Now that I realize the source of my VR malaise, I probably need to sell the Index and buy an old CV1 or Vive. Or maybe I'm the mythical Vive Cosmos customer? I didn't realize the Vives went higher. I used a friend's Vive years ago and it was fine.

edit: or try that mod, worth a look. Thanks!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I won't risk it in giving you any advice. I totally admit that it sucks to be outside what a VR manufacturer like FB decides to design their headset.
To be honest, I went and measured again my IPD in the mirror, and it seems to be 63mm. Hooray me?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

This is amazing! Shoved some foam in between the lenses and it's *instantly* far more comfortable feeling, in a way I didn't understand before. Hopefully this prevents the eyestrain and headaches that have been coming with VR recently. I should have asked about this months ago, thanks for the tip!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Butt Discussin posted:

This is amazing! Shoved some foam in between the lenses and it's *instantly* far more comfortable feeling, in a way I didn't understand before. Hopefully this prevents the eyestrain and headaches that have been coming with VR recently. I should have asked about this months ago, thanks for the tip!

An unexpected happy ending!

Although this also proves how important is the IPD comfort. Two extra mms (I doubt you won more than that) and you go from thinking on returning it to feeling much more comfortable.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
So out of curiosity is Saints and Sinners going to get pissy at me if I start getting fed up with trying to sneak past these stupid human factions to get at the intel caches and just start shooting back? Seriously, it started out so neat and now it's beginning to just get tedious dealing with the humans. I'm on the second intel cache in the shallows, in the blue mansion, and I'm about to just start shooting explosive arrows at everyone since it seems impossible to properly distract them otherwise