Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So here's a thing: something that's always kind of bugged me is that I don't really buy the inevitable jump from "taking over Arrakis" to "galactic jihad". For the better part of two whole books Paul keeps going on about woe is me, there's no possible way to stop this jihad, nope, nothing I can do, fire up the death squads. But it does precious little to actually show why this is; we see Fremen fired up to overthrow the Harkonnens at the end of Dune in a way that makes Paul nervous, but all of the Fremen prophecy and mythology we see revolves around fighting off oppressors and making Arrakis a better place, not so much "and then when that's done go on and take over the galaxy". It's not implausible, certainly, but it definitely doesn't feel like it should be the only path.

Now, I realize that two major themes of the books are the trap of prescience, and how leaders are often shoehorned into a course of action due to larger forces beyond their control. In the case of Leto Sr. being coerced into giving up Caladan for Arrakis it makes a lot of sense, since he's just one player out of many and not the strongest. But Paul being king poo poo of the universe and just going along with it feels like a cop-out. And maybe that's the point, if Paul is just as much of a power hungry rear end in a top hat as everyone else and only blames "fate" as a way to appease his conscience, then that's perfect. I'm just wondering if there's something else there that I'm missing.

TL;DR the galactic jihad feels like a case of "we're doing it because it's in the script" (i.e. because Paul foresees it) rather than having any in-universe justification.

Shooting an Elephant by George Orwell seems relevant reading.

quote:

I had no intention of shooting the elephant – I had merely sent for the rifle to defend myself if necessary – and it is always unnerving to have a crowd following you.

But at that moment I glanced round at the crowd that had followed me. It was an immense crowd, two thousand at the least and growing every minute. It blocked the road for a long distance on either side. I looked at the sea of yellow faces above the garish clothes - faces all happy and excited over this bit of fun, all certain that the elephant was going to be shot. They were watching me as they would watch a conjurer about to perform a trick. They did not like me, but with the magical rifle in my hands I was momentarily worth watching. And suddenly I realized that I should have to shoot the elephant after all. The people expected it of me and I had got to do it; I could feel their two thousand wills pressing me forward, irresistibly. And it was at this moment, as I stood there with the rifle in my hands, that I first grasped the hollowness, the futility of the white man’s dominion in the East. Here was I, the white man with his gun, standing in front of the unarmed native crowd – seemingly the leading actor of the piece; but in reality I was only an absurd puppet pushed to and fro by the will of those yellow faces behind. I perceived in this moment that when the white man turns tyrant it is his own freedom that he destroys. He becomes a sort of hollow, posing dummy, the conventionalized figure of a sahib. For it is the condition of his rule that he shall spend his life in trying to impress the “natives,” and so in every crisis he has got to do what the “natives” expect of him. He wears a mask, and his face grows to fit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Why doesn't the goddamn box of pain have a fancy name like the Gom Jabbar does?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

Why doesn't the goddamn box of pain have a fancy name like the Gom Jabbar does?

It's called "greg"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Shooting an Elephant by George Orwell seems relevant reading.

I buy that for taking over Arrakis, since that was a big part of the prophecy/expectation for Paul. It's afterwards where they're sitting around watching Shaddam being stuffed back onto his ship in disgrace, and say "well, I guess now we should go rape the universe" that seems like a stretch. Like it's missing a few intermediate steps showing them develop in that direction.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I buy that for taking over Arrakis, since that was a big part of the prophecy/expectation for Paul. It's afterwards where they're sitting around watching Shaddam being stuffed back onto his ship in disgrace, and say "well, I guess now we should go rape the universe" that seems like a stretch. Like it's missing a few intermediate steps showing them develop in that direction.

The Fremen were already fully developed in that respect before Paul even arrived on Arrakis, by the BG Missionaria Protectiva manipulating their religion and by the general circumstances of the Imperial feudal society. Humanity is stagnant and growing restless and building towards a gigantic genetic upheaval, the "race consciousness" that Paul can detect.

quote:

"I don’t understand you, Paul,” his mother said.
He remained silent, thinking like the seed he was, thinking with the race consciousness he had first experienced as terrible purpose. He found that he no longer could hate the Bene Gesserit or the Emperor or even the Harkonnens. They were all caught up in the need of their race to renew its scattered inheritance, to cross and mingle and infuse their bloodlines in a great new pooling of genes. And the race knew only one sure way for this—the ancient way, the tried and certain way that rolled over everything in its path: jihad.

The jihad is not a logical, reasoned decision on the part of Muad'dib's followers. They could never choose to stay peacefully on Arrakis in the same way Paul could never choose to not be prescient after ingesting the spice and awakening his abilities. The jihad is the inevitable consequence of the Fremen people falling into the hands of a Hero, and if it didn't happen with Paul and the Fremen on Arrakis then it would have happened somewhere else. The in-universe justification is that humanity as a race must soon explode into jihad or else die out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Koopa Kid posted:

He’s implied to be a failed branch of the Kwisatz Haderach program iirc, there’s a branch of time Paul sees where Fenrig kills him but he ultimately recognizes Paul’s legitimacy and does nothing.

more precisely he can't forsee Fenrig at all, and intuits from this that 1) Fenrig was a side-result of the program, and 2) can absolutely kill him

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Missionaria Protectiva is the military industrial complex bankrolling marvel movies

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

i swear chalamet's delivery of 'what's in the box' is based on the delivery in this video

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
and yeah paul isn't a good person and there's an element of cowardice in why the jihad comes about. messiah is pretty much mandatory, in that sense. 'if not me, then someone else would start the jihad'

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Fremen are sitting on top of the only place for Spice production. The other powers can only resist so much.

Paul has visions of him dying and the Fremen still going jihad without him. It’s basically damage minimization after a certain point.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the dune redub is probably my favourite video ever. i have watched it hundreds of times.

every line of it is etched on my soul.

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006
There is a point that hasn't been brought up in this conversation about the jihad.

Paul may be the duke of House Atreides, he may be the Padishah Emperor of the Galactic Imperium, he may be the leader of the Fedaykin, he may be the Lisan Al Gaib; but he is very emphatically not the "king" of the Fremen.

That is what the whole business with not calling out Stilgar was about. Paul rules Arrakis in his capacity as an Imperial aristocrat; he is the leader of a force of elite fighting men and is considered
a prophet by the Fremen, and these give him a position of honor and influence in their society; but the Fremen themselves are still very much under the rule of their Naibs.

And now that the stranglehold of Imperial and Guild control has been broken, the Fremen are set loose over the Empire. And they are pissed, remember that they had been murdered, enslaved
and abused beyond belief for thousands of years before ultimately being sent to colonize a hell world and extract a substance prized extremely highly in imperial society, to the point that the
usual Fremen mantra is "We will never forgive and we will never forget."

So if a group of Naibs decide to use their tribes' spice to book passage to an off-world planet and "sterilize" it, Paul cannot order them to stop. If the entire Fremen nation wants revenge on the society that treated their people like animals for millenia, he cannot stop them, not without being abandoned by his warriors and everyone but his closest friends (and probably being chopped to pieces
himself.) The only thing he can do is place himself with all his abilities and his people at the head of this movement and hope that he can gently steer it away from its most destructive forms.

And that is his tragedy as a Hero.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Piter is loving killing me

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm a victim of circumstance said the human computer/ninja/feudal heir

no dont, please, stop

Welcome, traveller, to my hall of giant veiny cocks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope the D U N C credits are this good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRzVFlZxBv4

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

yaffle posted:

Welcome, traveller, to my hall of giant veiny cocks.

I'd hate to be the guy who dusts all these cocks!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the huge cock columns (cocklumns)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
He tried changing the future, but how many time did you see a Fremen call him Paul-Muad'Dib? He spent a decade trying to escape/locking in his vision.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I've had a really, really awful week but "Welcome to Larry Town" has made everything okay again

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You mean...Paul?

Dude, spoilers!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Toon... The animated planet

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

An animatrix type thing for dune would probably be the best bet for getting some god emperor on the screen honestly. Or hell, like those BR2049 shorts

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Monkeys paw curls and you get a Lord Cybertrex anime

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Aeon Flux guy Peter Chung could do a pretty cool Dune series I bet.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
So... I finished God Emperor on Saturday and I'm still kind of digesting it but I definitely agree it's one of the better books. It's the first one (to my eye) that feels like Frank just said, "Screw it, I don't need to include anymore adventure stuff, I can just write my contemplative sci-fi about big ideas." Like, it reminded me a bit of Conrad's Heart of Darkness in that, sure there's a definite "journey" happening, but it's slow and there's lots of time to ruminate on the meaning of it all. It even feels a little like Duncan represents that old attitude of, "There needs to be manly-man action on every page! If there isn't, I'm gonna get restless and start climbing the walls (literally)!"

I also agree with some other people in the thread that things get weirdly, very horny towards the end. The duality between Leto II and Hwi vs. Dunc and Siona was expected, Nayla's exposition was... I'm not sure what to do with that yet. I suppose like Moneo's final revelation, it was partly about her pushing against a lifetime of conditioning that The God Emperor Is Everything And Always Right. In her case, it was her own subconscious desires pushing against it where as Leto had to hammer on Moneo with, "COME ON, dude! Learn to think for yourself!" She just never quite got to the point of enlightenment, and I gotta say I was a little shocked by Dunc's response to her final act.

When thinking about this cinematically, I have no idea how you'd make GE into a film that wasn't long and slow and panned by critics for crawling up its own rear end. Going back to Heart of Darkness, it *would* need to probably be an artsy Apocalypse Now affair. It occurred to me while watching the new Dune cast react to the reveal of the trailer that it didn't sound like any of them knew what happens beyond the first book, because they all had the attitude of, "Dune is about a young man finding his purpose and leading a people to freedom!" and none of them realized this is very much *not* the point of the story. That, in turn, got me thinking that Dune is really the only novel that has anything close to a "happy" ending where the "good guys win". Every subsequent book undoes that and kind of furthers the idea that there are no "good" or "bad" endings, only "change" but if you want to keep things binary then they definitely end on a downer for most if not all of the characters. I'm eager to see where things go in Heretics and Chapterhouse, but it might be a little while before I jump into those.

FWIW, I really like Devon Cady-Lee's version of Leto II. It looks like Cady-Lee is a concept artist working for Warner Bros. so... maybe there's hope for a film yet!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao he's such a goon

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao he's such a goon

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
trapped in the Fremen Zone once more.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

:lol:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Lmao

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Is Hwi Black?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

niethan posted:

Is Hwi Black?

That was my impression, but fan art seems to conveniently ignore that...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Almost everyone I've talked to seems to think that Hwi's skin color is discussed but I really don't remember the book saying one way or another.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

phasmid posted:

Almost everyone I've talked to seems to think that Hwi's skin color is discussed but I really don't remember the book saying one way or another.

At their first meeting:

quote:

His first view of Hwi Noree revealed a remarkable likeness to her Uncle Malky, but her grave movements and the calmness of her stride were equally remarkable in their difference from Malky. She did have that dark skin, though, the oval face with its regular features. Placid brown eyes stared back at Leto. And where Malky's hair had been gray, hers was a luminous brown.

In a later meeting, she's described as having braided her hair so I figured that reinforced my assumption.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

But she wasn’t black as if there was no intermingling with lighter skinned people in her lineage, that’s for sure.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Well I'll shut up then. Hah. I guess I was recalling one friend of mine who said she was definitely Asian. When I asked what part of Arrakis is Asia he admitted he just had a thing for Asian women? IDK nerds are weird.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

phasmid posted:

Well I'll shut up then. Hah. I guess I was recalling one friend of mine who said she was definitely Asian. When I asked what part of Arrakis is Asia he admitted he just had a thing for Asian women? IDK nerds are weird.

If you pointed a gun at my head and demanded to know where the name "Hwi" originated, I'd probably say Asia, but not be overly surprised if I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stryder posted:

FWIW, I really like Devon Cady-Lee's version of Leto II. It looks like Cady-Lee is a concept artist working for Warner Bros. so... maybe there's hope for a film yet!

That's the second best version.