Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Would you say...your taint hurts? :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

I got a road ID recently. If anyone is interested in getting one, they sent along a $10 off coupon code for a friend. Since it’s a one time use just post when it’s used: P5RS6B6T7PW3DT.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Did my annual ride your bike + eat ice cream a bunch ride yesterday. Usually it's a multi-day camping trip with friends, but this year we opted to do a one day three ice cream stop 150 mile ride around Southeastern Michigan.

Weather started at about 40F.

Shout out to my friend that did it with me. First bike ride in over a year. Didn't check on his bike before the ride started, unknowingly did the first 50 miles on half inflated tires, found out because of a flat at the first ice cream stop, and then after fixing the flat forgot to put his axle back on all the way. God drat he's a trooper.

I ate a lot of ice cream.

moctopus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 20, 2020

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What's the thought these days on carbon rims with carbon brake tracks? I've always assumed they were a death trap waiting to happen on long descents but they have to be safe to ride by now, right?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

spf3million posted:

What's the thought these days on carbon rims with carbon brake tracks? I've always assumed they were a death trap waiting to happen on long descents but they have to be safe to ride by now, right?

my thought is: disc brakes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya if I wanted rim brakes I'd be picking up the Super Six that's been kicking around the shop for a few years.

I'm liking the Pro 1 Disc but I'm kinda ehh about paying a premium for an Ultegra power meter crank that's going fall to pieces.

#thanksshimano

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Same but I have a hot rim brake frame that demands to be ridden.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Shimano crank based L/R power meters are all inherently broken. HTH.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Did a 28 mile urban assault ride yesterday evening. Rode through all the nightlife areas and parks and such. Also almost got vaporized by a red light runner. 9/10 would cruise again.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spf3million posted:

Same but I have a hot rim brake frame that demands to be ridden.

HED Jet 6

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A rim brake supersix with hed jet 6s you say?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

Shimano crank based L/R power meters are all inherently broken. HTH.

105 TCR disc and buy/build myself a carbon wheelset it is, I guess.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
It's been a good ~8 years or so since I used to cycle. I'm getting back into it after that long layoff, and man, it's like I forgot how to ride. :(

I'm wobbly, I don't have the same confidence to really lean the bike to bomb around corners, and even little things like being able to keep the bike stable while my hands aren't on the bars. All of the above has made getting on the bike a little anxiety inducing. I know that the solution is just to HTFU and get on the bike. I guess I'm just surprised at the decline in skills. Especially with the basics.

Anyone else here had a long layoff before getting back into cycling?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

105 TCR disc and buy/build myself a carbon wheelset it is, I guess.

AFAIK the only major differences between 105 and Ultegra at this point is 180g and a couple of bushings instead of bearings.

I don't know how Ultegra mech continues unless they limit R7100 to 11spd while R8100 goes 12spd...or they just make Ultegra and DA Di2-only.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pretty good average speed improvements this year

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

AFAIK the only major differences between 105 and Ultegra at this point is 180g and a couple of bushings instead of bearings.

I don't know how Ultegra mech continues unless they limit R7100 to 11spd while R8100 goes 12spd...or they just make Ultegra and DA Di2-only.

Aside from the clutched Ultegra RD which is magic on my Journeyman I've never felt the difference between it and 105 in any bike I've ever tried and ya the weight difference is so little it's pointless and if I crash and break something it just costs less to replace whatever I snapped. Ultegra will undoubtedly be 12s soon enough though.

Best thing is by holding out on buying a road bike I get to avoid choosing either the dong brifters or the lovely hybrid brake system Giant used on some models.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilJoven posted:

Ultegra will undoubtedly be 12s soon enough though.

You got some inside info on that?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Aesthetics aside, 105 dongs own and I will fight to the death anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Aesthetics aside, 105 dongs own and I will fight to the death anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

If one cracks, you’ll get the death for free.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

12 speeds? That's too many speeds.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

If one cracks, you’ll get the death for free.

Speaking of which I finally mounted the RS505 brifters you sold me a long time ago.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

12 speeds? That's too many speeds.

It’s actually 24 speeds. If we can get to 15 in the back it’ll be less overall!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

You got some inside info on that?

Nah. This isn't like how I knew about that goofy rear end 'rear suspension' Topstone for a long time before release. It's just inevitable, just like how it's only a matter of time before a razor company releases a 7 blade razor.

Speaking of drivetrain refreshes, we're still lolling at the shop about how Shimano went all 'Take your SRAM Eagle bullshit to the dumpster where it belongs' and released Deore 12s. It's performing better than even NX so far, from what we've seen.

The entire 12s ecosystem is way way too bitchy about derailleur hangers being not perfectly straight though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EvilJoven posted:

Nah. This isn't like how I knew about that goofy rear end 'rear suspension' Topstone for a long time before release. It's just inevitable, just like how it's only a matter of time before a razor company releases a 7 blade razor.

Speaking of drivetrain refreshes, we're still lolling at the shop about how Shimano went all 'Take your SRAM Eagle bullshit to the dumpster where it belongs' and released Deore 12s. It's performing better than even NX so far, from what we've seen.

The entire 12s ecosystem is way way too bitchy about derailleur hangers being not perfectly straight though.

Gonna be awesome when rear spacing grow again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nm posted:

Speaking of which I finally mounted the RS505 brifters you sold me a long time ago.

:rip: once more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

:rip: once more.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Oh are we dong posting.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does anyone here ride regularly with a kid trailer on surface streets?

The weather is getting nicer in TX, and there is a "bikeway" that connects a trail to my house to the zoo (great place to kill time with a toddler).

The only deal is the last mile isn't a protected bike lane, rather they turned the road into a "bikeway" with a 4 way stop at each intersection, share the road signage, and some intersection improvements to slow down traffic, but the road is still shared with auto traffic.

Generally, I have only taken the trailer on bike/ped trails because I dont trust drivers, but being able to have easy bike access to the zoo would be amazing.

So - wondering if anyone has ridden or does ride surface streets with a kid trailer regularly, and if you have any tips or tricks to make yourself more visible and maximize safety for shared auto traffic.

Apr 7, 2003

Not sure those look particularly like dongs.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

my taint is ok, but my buthole hurts from excessive puckering up

Picture of my dog as a palette cleanser

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

e.pilot posted:

Oh are we dong posting.

Those dongs in a previous life

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not sure those look particularly like dongs.
It turns out the angle I took a photo of the salsa at is basically myspace angle for dongs.
It's also myspace angle for the huge stack of spacers, the fact that the spacers are fat AL ones while the stem is thin and steel, and the fact that I haven't cut my steerer.
Also hiding the RD-6800-SS on an ultracompact crank because that's all my LBS could find (and will get a GS as a swap when it comes available).

Apr 7, 2003

Strange chode bicycle

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

My mountains are on fire and will likely not be fully reopened within the next decade so gently caress it, friendship ended with backpacking now biking is my new best friend.

Just got back from taking this Salsa Journeyman on it's first trip and I'm super stoked on it 😍

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
look at that purple :shittypop:

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

So - wondering if anyone has ridden or does ride surface streets with a kid trailer regularly, and if you have any tips or tricks to make yourself more visible and maximize safety for shared auto traffic.

We have a Thule Chariot and I make sure to stick the included flag on it to make it extra visible. I probably should get a better flashing light for it that won't fall off like the stock one. I also went full Fred and added an end-cap mirror to my left bar to keep track of cars and kids.

I don't often ride on the street as when hauling the kiddos I work in the order of the 10' multi-use paths, then a 4' sidewalk, then the street. But if there are a lot of walkers on the sidewalk I'll move to the street and do my best. Around here if the cars see that trailer they move WAAAAY the gently caress over to the other lane and risk a head-on collision rather than get near me. It's extra hilarious when I use the trailer to haul glass bottles to the recycling bins, "why yes, the chardonnay does need a little extra room, thank you."

I'm extra tempted to get one of those light up flags that off-roaders use and stick that on as well for maximum visibility. That's probably for next winter when schools reopen and I use the trailer for school dropoffs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dolemite posted:

It's been a good ~8 years or so since I used to cycle. I'm getting back into it after that long layoff, and man, it's like I forgot how to ride. :(

I'm wobbly, I don't have the same confidence to really lean the bike to bomb around corners, and even little things like being able to keep the bike stable while my hands aren't on the bars. All of the above has made getting on the bike a little anxiety inducing. I know that the solution is just to HTFU and get on the bike. I guess I'm just surprised at the decline in skills. Especially with the basics.

Anyone else here had a long layoff before getting back into cycling?

Not quite that long but have taken a several year break before. The confidence will come back. There should be some bike handling drills on youtube, I know for sure they exist for mountain bikes but should be some for bikes in general. Take an afternoon to practice in a parking lot and by the end of the session you'll be feeling better.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Jonny Quest posted:

We have a Thule Chariot and I make sure to stick the included flag on it to make it extra visible. I probably should get a better flashing light for it that won't fall off like the stock one. I also went full Fred and added an end-cap mirror to my left bar to keep track of cars and kids.

I don't often ride on the street as when hauling the kiddos I work in the order of the 10' multi-use paths, then a 4' sidewalk, then the street. But if there are a lot of walkers on the sidewalk I'll move to the street and do my best. Around here if the cars see that trailer they move WAAAAY the gently caress over to the other lane and risk a head-on collision rather than get near me. It's extra hilarious when I use the trailer to haul glass bottles to the recycling bins, "why yes, the chardonnay does need a little extra room, thank you."

I'm extra tempted to get one of those light up flags that off-roaders use and stick that on as well for maximum visibility. That's probably for next winter when schools reopen and I use the trailer for school dropoffs.

This seems like a good idea - just light up the trailer like a cop car and get some mirrors despite looking terminally uncool.

Apr 7, 2003

People here will outright try to kill you if you're riding a bike on public roads, good luck. We don't ride anywhere but the trails and the downtown area where cops actually pay attention to traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What's next?

Heading to a local shop that my friend recommended to check out some options. Any opinions on any of these?

https://www.bikesonwheels.com/collections/bikes-hybrid