Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maybe a little overkill but the Eventide Rose can. And more. Lol.

To be clear: signal path is analog, controls are digital. It’s the whole Chase Bliss thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JHS Panther Cub has a tap tempo, if that's enough for you.

E: Way Huge Supa-Puss too.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 3, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DOD rubberneck can do it as well as a bunch of weird stuff.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Wow, a firmware upgrade of my Boss EQ-200 increased the number of programmable patches from 4 to 128. I like it when manufacturers improve their stuff even if it doesn't really bring in extra money at that point anymore.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Are there any synth in a box pedals that can do a decent minikorg kind of sound?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

hanales posted:

Are there any synth in a box pedals that can do a decent minikorg kind of sound?
The Boss SY-1 can probably get you close.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

why is ehx's build quality such horseshit? my cathedral keeps dying on me and i bought it new about two years ago

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They have always been terrible. I’m repairing a Russian Small Stone that is just utter trash. They have always used the cheapest parts and their products have poor qc.

They very reason so many versions of the Muff exist is because of this.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
doing the jhs diode mod on my soul food i had a fun surprise pulling the knobs and discovering they use cheap dual gang pots where the shafts are glued on

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I was gifted a new ehx pulsar and it’s been real iffy ever since I got it. I had to send the first one back because it didn’t output sound. Haven’t used it in awhile cause it was acting screwy last time I used it.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I have a Memory Man Deluxe that was ancient when I bought it ~15 years ago, thing’s a loving tank. Their newer stuff is cheap garbage, I’ve had multiple issues with my lovely loving POG2

e: and my SuperEgo!!!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

I have a Memory Man Deluxe that was ancient when I bought it ~15 years ago, thing’s a loving tank. Their newer stuff is cheap garbage, I’ve had multiple issues with my lovely loving POG2

e: and my SuperEgo!!!

anything digital they make seems to break and i never learn my lesson because they make cool poo poo

their analog poo poo also breaks all the time, but because of the nature of the breaks (pots, jacks, etc.) and the nature of analog pedals you can maybe repair it; my cathedral passes signal when it’s engaged but if i turn up the mix it eventually becomes silent and since it’s basically a tiny computer in there there isn’t much i can do about it

probably just gonna replace it with a joyo reverb tbh

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If Mike Matthews was Cinderella's Fairy Godmother he would've just stapled wheels on a pumpkin and slapped her rear end.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Friends, can you reccomend a good harmony/shifter(?) pedal? I basically want to have doubling of the signal at +5 or +7 semitones, nothing fancy. I've looked at a few YT vids and I can't quite ascertain if something like the PS-6 will actually do something that simple... and I also want to try and avoid that horrible aliased sound as you start to go further from the root note; I'm guessing it's 2020 and there are more convincing sounding pedals. I haven't played electric in like 10 years so am really out of the loop!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My Bass Whammy tracks pretty well in polyphonic mode on a normal guitar.
I think the further up you stray from the root the more weird artifacts you're likely to get unless you are playing notes with consonant harmonics ie octave, fifth (7 semitones).
The bass whammy is light years ahead artifact-wise than my old Whammy 4 so this stuff has come on a bit, even though the BW is a few years old now.
My old band that played in Drop C had a riff that the other guitarist would play chords that slid up high around the 10th/12th frets at times on the 5th string and I would play down based on the 3rd/5th fret on the low string and would use the bass whammy to mimic that with the intention of adding a different texture but if you compare our recorded tracks it's pretty hard to tell who's who.
The main reason I have the bass one is its blue and looks cooler than the red ones to me and that's clearly the most important thing with pedals.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Thanks I will check this out and I agree that pedal aesthetics are extremely important!! Although I might have to renege on my requirement for just +5 and +7, it might be nice to experiment with all semitones in the octave maybe...

perc2 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 11, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

perc2 posted:

Thanks I will check this out and I agree that pedal aesthetics are extremely important!! Although I might have to renege on my requirement for just +5 and +7, it might be nice to experiment with all semitones in the octave maybe...

the pitchfork might be up your alley then, it tracks pretty well and covers most scale degrees (no flat fifth or major seventh unfortunately but not a lot of people are gonna use those modes)

perc2
May 16, 2020

Pitch Fork looks perfect, thank you! The octaves sound lovely but I have no desire to go that high, why haven't we solved this problem yet? Actually, thinking about it, even the pitch-shifting algos in my DAW still kinda suck. Just really aliasy and sibilant. I have just had an insane idea for a pedal where you feed it a sample range and then it uses those samples as the harmony... has anyone done that

perc2 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 12, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ricochet is a Whammy in a smaller package. Less features than Pitchfork, though.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
The TC Brainwaves is good too, and the mash switch is fun. You can use it to bend between notes like a whammy.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Welp, just plunked down some money on the Strymon NightSky.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Noise Machine posted:

Welp, just plunked down some money on the Strymon NightSky.

Oh god I didn’t know that existed until you posted this :swoon:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

eventide also dropped a standalone blackhole in a similar form factor to the rose

reverb season fellas

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Declan MacManus posted:

eventide also dropped a standalone blackhole in a similar form factor to the rose

reverb season fellas

Ambient Autumn 2020

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Noise Machine posted:

Ambient Autumn 2020

That would be a nice ML compilation idea

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm starting to work on my first live set that has some hip hop, house, and techno elements to it, but not really using much of an effect chain save for a reverb and delay pedal. Usually I just record, and I'm a little disappointed that I'm not getting the big sound I'm accustomed to by fiddling with VSTs in my during post production. So I was thinking of getting a budget hardware compressor, but am really not sure where to start. Or should I be looking more at live software options? Or am I better served trying harder to dial in the in the compression via the effects on my existing hardware (an Akai drum machine, Korg M50 keyboard, and looper)?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

What's a good octave-pedal to add some low end when you're looping guitar? Just get an oc-3?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

You want faux bass? Pitch Fork or Ricochet.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boss OC5 has been announced. It has pitch detection to add bass from only the lowest note in the chord (OC3 just set a range of notes)

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Looking for a delay pedal with send & return jacks in the feedback loop - am I limited to the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail or modded pedals, or is there some retail thingo I'm not aware of?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KMA Cirrus does it, if you're into weird delay/verb stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

free Trapt CD posted:

Looking for a delay pedal with send & return jacks in the feedback loop - am I limited to the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail or modded pedals, or is there some retail thingo I'm not aware of?

dod rubberneck is probably your cheapest option if you hunt around; they were blowing them out for a while but now the prices have risen up again for some reason

there's also the dwarfcraft minivan, ehx deluxe memory boy, walrus bellweather, and a few higher end digital delay pedals (nemesis, timeline)

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Siivola posted:

KMA Cirrus does it, if you're into weird delay/verb stuff.

Declan MacManus posted:

dod rubberneck is probably your cheapest option if you hunt around; they were blowing them out for a while but now the prices have risen up again for some reason

there's also the dwarfcraft minivan, ehx deluxe memory boy, walrus bellweather, and a few higher end digital delay pedals (nemesis, timeline)

Oh excellent, these are exactly the sorta things I was looking for, thank you both! I had no idea there were so many, that's great.

The used market where I'm at is pretty thin on all of these at the moment, so I'm extremely tempted to jump on a preorder for that Cirrus. It seems crazy that it's not all that much more than the Seymour Duncan I was thinking about but it has like a hundred more features. Really, thanks for the heads up, I was unaware of so much.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Anyone know any good "one man jamming" sort of acts, maybe along the lines of Reggie Watts?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Not strictly looper music but:

Author and Punisher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xrS-ezmA4

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Author and Punisher

Thanks, looks cool! And oops, I meant to post this in the music recommendation thread.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Author and Punisher

There's a few interesting vids on youtube about his setup too. He uses these big industrial controllers that he handmakes himself.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anyone know any good "one man jamming" sort of acts, maybe along the lines of Reggie Watts?

thrones

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Built a fuzz pedal, the BYOC Classic Fuzz. First time doing an electronics project of this scale, it was a lot of fun.

Didn't think about the placement of the letters under the knobs, but that's ok. I'm pretty happy with the look, and it sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Looks great!