Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

What you're describing is a new feature in shadowbringers, but which unfortunately only applies to shadowbringers content

They probably could back port it but my understanding of how it works suggests it'd be a massive undertaking that they're unlikely to ever do.

My bet is that they'll eventually implement them to all MSQ dungeons at a bare minimum. Even though the game's still going strong, they're likely taking legacy into consideration already, and ensuring that one of your mainline Final Fantasy titles is still playable years after populations have tanked or servers have shut down is likely to be important. That's still a distant consideration, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dmboogie posted:

the annoying thing is that this is the part of the game where the writing starts becoming genuinely interesting and doing a lot of cool things that were set up in the 1-50 storyline

it was just also fetch quest hell

I played through it and it was almost exclusively spinning wheels for like 80 of those quests before going absolutely insane and kinda cool at the end.

Then I finally got access to play Dark Knight and had to go grind dungeons for a while because lol of course you want to have to drag your way through that poo poo to finally get access to two classes that start at comically low levels.

Then i just stopped playing because the game was just aggressively wasting my time over and over.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

Then i just stopped playing because the game was just aggressively wasting my time over and over.

for all its accolades this sure sums up ff14 succinctly

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I really like FF14 but it's definitely one of those games that's so fetch quest heavy it starts to warp everyone's characterizations. The example I always think of is the (now cut) quest where Minfillia's mom refuses to see her long lost daughter until you pick flowers and kill some monsters for her, which just makes her look like a deadbeat.

I guess it's hardly the only rpg to go to odd lengths to drag out playtime, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Million Ghosts posted:

is Moon on the Switch actually like good, or is it just a quirky gimmick game? it looks fun and charming and unique, but who hasn't been burned by that before. i know it's not an RPG per se, but i think i've seen people talk about it in this thread?

it's the game that inspired almost every weird artsy indie rpg/adventure game ever on some level, even if just through its influence on ones that then influenced other ones. it just depends on if you can stomach something like chulip

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Final Craptasy XIV, am I right guys?

Million Ghosts posted:

is Moon on the Switch actually like good, or is it just a quirky gimmick game? it looks fun and charming and unique, but who hasn't been burned by that before. i know it's not an RPG per se, but i think i've seen people talk about it in this thread?

It's good and unique but it also has strong "get stuck in the game, look up solution on Youtube, and then say "how the gently caress was I suppose to figure that out"' energy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zore posted:

I played through it and it was almost exclusively spinning wheels for like 80 of those quests before going absolutely insane and kinda cool at the end.

Then I finally got access to play Dark Knight and had to go grind dungeons for a while because lol of course you want to have to drag your way through that poo poo to finally get access to two classes that start at comically low levels.

Luckily FFXIV doesn't do that again with future new jobs, which start at exactly the same level they unlock at, so you can switch to them and keep going with no friction.

Honestly the game is pretty good at learning from its mistakes when creating new content, but unfortunately it never goes back and fixes its old mistakes. They just sit there ruining the game forever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clarste posted:

Luckily FFXIV doesn't do that again with future new jobs, which start at exactly the same level they unlock at, so you can switch to them and keep going with no friction.

Honestly the game is pretty good at learning from its mistakes when creating new content, but unfortunately it never goes back and fixes its old mistakes. They just sit there ruining the game forever.

They literally go back and fix something basically every patch. This last one alone streamlined a lot of the ARR stuff and gave flying to the old zones. The issue is changing those classes now means restructuring their entire leveling experience, rewriting all their class quests since you have to make do with way way less of them and if you really wanna go bold, move the first parts of them to the ARR zones to match the SB forward jobs. You're not going to see such a major restructuring outside of an expac or a patch where they have to cut back on new poo poo to go back and redo it, esp. in the age of development during Covid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

That isn't really true. They've fixed quite a lot of old things. Sometimes it takes them longer than you'd hope but I mean this patch alone they did a huge reworking on the earlier content, and while most stuff isn't that big they tend to do at least a general workover on some thing or another pretty regularly.

I assume the issue is that reworking jobs involves rewriting jobs and that probably puts it somewhat low on the priority list especially since lower-level leveling is so absurdly fast these days that it's really a nonissue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, "never" was a strong word, but it's certainly an extremely low priority. It only took them, what, 7 years to cut back on the excessive quests in ARR? And the climactic trials are still awfully paced, with the band-aid fix that they're worth a lot in the roulette to bribe players into doing content they know is bad.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 21, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Okay, "never" was a strong word, but it's certainly an extremely low priority. It only took them, what, 10 years to cut back on the excessive quests in ARR? And the climactic trials are still awfully paced, with the band-aid fix that they're worth a lot in the roulette to bribe players into doing content they know is bad.

They cut back on the excess MSQ stuff starting in like 2.4 and definitely into the 3.X patch cycle. If you mean going back culling and restructuring a bunch of old content 6 years or so after release during which they were...making the rest of the insane amount of content in that game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I have been interested in FF14 for a while, is this game completable solo? Howlongtobeat is showing solo is 243 hours and co op is 1.2k hours, not sure what that means.

If you can play it like a traditional jrpg I might try it, also whitedragon made a good point there are so many other quality games with much less time investment.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

mycot posted:

I really like FF14 but it's definitely one of those games that's so fetch quest heavy it starts to warp everyone's characterizations. The example I always think of is the (now cut) quest where Minfillia's mom refuses to see her long lost daughter until you pick flowers and kill some monsters for her, which just makes her look like a deadbeat.

I guess it's hardly the only rpg to go to odd lengths to drag out playtime, though.

Did they keep the quests where you help Tataru try and get a job to pay for the Scions' activities? It's completely filler but was also basically my favourite thing in the whole 2.1-2.5 arc.

Ulio posted:

So I have been interested in FF14 for a while, is this game completable solo? Howlongtobeat is showing solo is 243 hours and co op is 1.2k hours, not sure what that means.

If you can play it like a traditional jrpg I might try it, also whitedragon made a good point there are so many other quality games with much less time investment.

Not completely solo. There are dungeons and bosses that are required for the story and the pre-Shadowbringers dungeons and all the bosses require a party.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ulio posted:

It is not completely soloable because you have some mandatory dungeons and boss fights with multiple people. There's an auto group finder that people are heavily incentivized to join, but you absolutely will not be able to do the whole story alone until maybe Shadowbringers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

Yeah I don't know what those hours mean.

So basically the majority of the game is single player stuff for the story and quests, but every dungeon and Trial (Single boss fights you instance into) are all multiplayer required but the game's endgame currency to get endgame gear is most easily obtainable by joining a series of random roulettes designed to fill in those parties for you with players that have at least ran it before. You will have to occasionally play with other living humans, but it's generally pretty chill and easy to find help without having to go to the party finder and beg for aid.

Also don't listen to whitedragon just in general.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And honestly unless you're doing like the savage versions of trials you don't even really need to like communicate with other plays even during coop content. I played on a JP server and was rarely matched with people using english, so I only interacted with others by occasionally using emotes and I had no trouble playing the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And honestly unless you're doing like the savage versions of trials you don't even really need to like communicate with other plays even during coop content. I played on a JP server and was rarely matched with people using english, so I only interacted with others by occasionally using emotes and I had no trouble playing the game.

There's also a very handy auto translator if you are really strugglign to understand a mechanic.

it works surprisingly well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
With the Monster Hunter Stories sequel announced, I've decided to take a look at the original. Played a little bit of the demo on the phone, and from what I can tell it seems like a pretty decent port. I'd need to dust off my 3DS, but the original release is on sale right now, making it a little cheaper than the Android version. Any thoughts on either of these versions? Looks like a charming little RPG.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't know if you should really play FFXIV solo or if you really don't like mmo stuff.

I know the latest expansion story is meant to be amazing but like you're still gonna have to eat through hours of the mmo stuff to get to that.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I found the story to be pretty boring and the game to be very mmorpgy, I played it for the social component and for that it's alright, better than WoW but MMos still aren't for me.

It has plenty of cutscenes, dialogue etc. but I can't imagine playing it for the single player experience

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 21, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF14's story is the main thing it has over other MMOs and I know plenty who play it mainly for that so you'd be wrong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZZZorcerer posted:

I found the story to be pretty boring and the game to be very mmorpgy, I played it for the social component and for that it's alright, better than WoW but MMos still aren't for me.

It has plenty of cutscenes, dialogue etc. but I can't imagine playing it for the single player experience

how far did you get? That's definitely the experience for the first 50 levels.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Well the free trial goes up to level 60. If anybody is curious on if its worth it to them they can at least try it out without slapping down a subscription.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

cheetah7071 posted:

how far did you get? That's definitely the experience for the first 50 levels.

About that, 50-60 hours playing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's honestly significantly less now. It's still a fair bit of time but a big chunk of that is setting up the various eggs so they can smash the baskets on the ground and draw in the yolk.

I absolutely don't judge someone who isn't willing to sit through it but ARR sets up a whole ton of things that get some genuinely excellent payoff by the end. A problem with recommending it is that "it's slow to start but really pays off" can also backfire and make people angry they sat through so much for what doesn't work for them. It's a side effect of the developers getting better and more confident with what they can do in the game over time.

But if someone tells you FFXIV has one of the best Final Fantasy stories they are not just talking about for an MMO. I've played ever FF game on the planet and FFXIV would still rank in my top 5 as a whole and probably my top 3 just for Shadowbringers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah if FFXVI's story is on the level of Shadowbringers it's going to be amazing (unless they mess up the combat, then it'll just be good).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZZZorcerer posted:

About that, 50-60 hours playing

sounds about right, sorry about your bad experience! Depending where exactly you are you may be right on the edge of the consensus Good Parts, you you may still be a half dozen hours away, hard to say. Not that I'm expecting you'd come back, but if you ever for some reason wanted to.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Morpheus posted:

With the Monster Hunter Stories sequel announced, I've decided to take a look at the original. Played a little bit of the demo on the phone, and from what I can tell it seems like a pretty decent port. I'd need to dust off my 3DS, but the original release is on sale right now, making it a little cheaper than the Android version. Any thoughts on either of these versions? Looks like a charming little RPG.

I played it on the 3ds. It was a'ight, but I felt kinda hurt by not having multiplayer buddies in a way that I hadn't really with, say, Pokemon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man going from Disgaea 5 to 1 is a trip. On the one hand, not needing to spend mana to increase the coverage of spells is nice, but on the other hand, I miss the personalities you could give your monsters and generics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RareAcumen posted:

Man going from Disgaea 5 to 1 is a trip. On the one hand, not needing to spend mana to increase the coverage of spells is nice, but on the other hand, I miss the personalities you could give your monsters and generics.

i mean what else are you going to spend your Mana on

--wait no i remember now, you have to petition the dark council EVERY TIME you want to raise or lower the difficulty by 1. the cheat shop was a great invention

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Is there any consensus on which Disgaea game is the best?

I've played 1 and a little bit of 2, never got particularly far in either of them but remember enjoying them enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I've played 1 and a little bit of 2, never got particularly far in either of them but remember enjoying them enough.
From a gameplay standpoint, I think pretty much everyone agrees that it's 5.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would say the gameplay just gets better with each game.

The characters and writing are more subjective but I think most people think 3 was pretty bad on this end?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Without having played DD2, yeah 3 is the nadir of Disgea. If you're gonna go with one, go with 5.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Extreme Outlaw Overlord is a bloody good song. 3 at least has that much going for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Honestly I disagree with everyone that says they get better as they go on since skill boosting in 3/4 is a real bad mechanic, but yeah 5 is basically by far the best game mechanically with an honorary mention to Disgaea D2* since it’s in a lot of ways a prototype of 5 and it’s weird simplified version of evilties lets the main campaign get creative with its enemy setups.

*very honorary since it’s a PS3 game and NIS has said they have no interest in porting it iirc

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FractalSandwich posted:

Extreme Outlaw Overlord is a bloody good song. 3 at least has that much going for it.

This is true, it's real good.

Moving On is very nice and chill though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Are there any good turn based dungeon crawlers for the Switch? I played the EO games a ton on DS, and then StarCrawlers on PC, and I want that difficult party-based combat with lots of skills and mechanics interacting and lots of broken combos. I saw Labyrinth of Refrain but it looks kind of weird and janky, and not in a good way. Obviously there's Darkest Dungeon but I think that one has too many characters with too many tiny little plusses and minuses on them for me to really get into it, I always end up not really enjoying it after a few hours.

Or do I just need to get a second hand 3ds for the EO games?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

labyrinth of touhou 2 is a good game, it has a large cast but they're set characters and you bring 12 of them into dungeons and swap them around. it's coming to switch. there's a fan translation of the pc version but no word on an english version of the switch version.

i would recommend getting a 3ds on the cheap though, if you know where to look you can probably snag one for like 40ish-50ish bucks and 4, 5, and nexus are all very good EO games, even if they all have their little quibbles. i don't play enough dungeon crawlers to know if there's other good ones on 3ds, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Foul Fowl posted:

Are there any good turn based dungeon crawlers for the Switch? I played the EO games a ton on DS, and then StarCrawlers on PC, and I want that difficult party-based combat with lots of skills and mechanics interacting and lots of broken combos. I saw Labyrinth of Refrain but it looks kind of weird and janky, and not in a good way. Obviously there's Darkest Dungeon but I think that one has too many characters with too many tiny little plusses and minuses on them for me to really get into it, I always end up not really enjoying it after a few hours.

Or do I just need to get a second hand 3ds for the EO games?

Labyrinth of Refrain is actually pretty good on the gameplay side, the story is awful-to-tolerable overall. Mary Skelter 2 is also decent, the corny aesthetic is fun if you're into it but it's not particularly difficult and it's uh.... creepy. The Lost Child is thoroughly okay, i wouldn't pay full price for it but it's worth trying if you can get it cheap. most stuff other than that is either super generic anime cash grabs or just bad.

unpopular opinion, i thought the 3DS EO games all sorta sucked, but they might be the only thing that'll scratch your particular itch. if you do pick up a 3DS, i'd definitely say to grab Devil Summoner Soul Hackers. it's pretty jank and shows it's age sometimes, but i thought it kicked absolute rear end.