Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Tree Bucket posted:

And that map there clearly shows a river flowing through a mountain range! That's an inexcusable error, and frankly lazy.

Know you're jesting, but it's neat to know it just means the river is older than the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Duodecimal posted:

Know you're jesting, but it's neat to know it just means the river is older than the mountains.

See also: all the rivers flowing W-E through the Appalachians

e: and the Appalachians are ooooooooooollllllld

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Faramir calls Sauron "Nameless" fairly regularly, but he's also hiding out in Ithilien at the time so he might be a bit more wary.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Runcible Cat posted:

Another question for the loremasters: when Aragorn and co first find the bodies of Isengard orcs they're looking at their S-rune insignia and Aragorn remarks that Sauron doesn't "use his right name, nor permit it to be spelt or spoken".

Is there any more on this anywhere? Or was it just a quick literary bodge to say no no definitely not S for Sauron? Is Sauron even his "right name" considering he's previously gone by Thu and Gorthaur? What's he got against it?

The Encyclopedia of Arda tries to explain this.

quote:

In The Black Gate Opens, the Mouth of Sauron hails the Captains of the West with an introduction: 'I am the Mouth of Sauron'. This is somewhat problematic, because earlier in The Lord of the Rings, Aragorn says of Sauron that 'Neither does he use his right name, nor permit it to be spelt or spoken...' (The Two Towers III 1, The Departure of Boromir). The Mouth of Sauron, though, uses the name several times without apparent embarrassment.

All the evidence suggests that Aragorn is simply wrong. Not only does the Mouth of Sauron use his Lord's 'right name' freely, but so does the messenger sent to Dáin in Erebor. Indeed, we hear about Dáin's messenger at the Council of Elrond, at which Aragorn was present: he must have been - to use Gandalf's word - 'inattentive' on this point.

One possible reason for Aragorn's error is that his information is out of date. For most of the Third Age, Sauron had been building his strength, in secret, at Dol Guldur. Given his need to remain hidden, it's natural that he would ban his servants from using his real name. Any detailed information that Aragorn had about him and his ways would date back to Gandalf's spying expeditions in this period.

The Tale of Years entry for the year III 2951 states 'Sauron declares himself openly...' At this point, about seventy years before the War of the Ring, Sauron no longer felt any need for secrecy, and so presumably permitted his name to be used from that point on. Aragorn, of course, would have had no way of knowing about this change, which would explain his mistake.

Did Tolkien intend all this? Probably not - it seems much more likely that Aragorn's words were a casual slip of the author's pen. The explanation given here, though, does make a certain amount of sense within the context of the story.
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/m/mouthofsauron.html

Further complicating this is the fact that, as was mentioned above, Sauron's "right name" was Mairon, though it does make sense for a mouthpiece to introduce himself by his master's most well-known name. I believe, though I'm not sure, that no other servant of Sauron uses the name Sauron, they call him epithets like The Eye, The Master, The Biggest, etc.

So two solutions present themselves: either the EoA is correct above, and Aragorn's information is just out of date; or the Mouth and other spokespeople for Sauron have special permission to speak the name.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lotr is a imperfect source with translation errors so it’s hard to say what he really said at the gate

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t think we can say that Mairon was still his “right name”. Original, sure, but not right. There’s nothing admirable about what Sauron has become except to his fellow megalomaniacs. Hell, maybe his original name is a casualty of his inability to take “fair shape” at this point.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Or Tolkien just made a mistake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thinks it’s clear “Sauron” is not his endonym but a name in the hated colonial language used by the colonialists

It’s makes sense he wouldn’t want his people to use it but the pro colonial translators would translate whatever the Mouth of Sauron’s name was to “Mouth of Sauron” or that the ambassador, being Numenorian, used it anyway as a relic of his heritage

Or perhaps Saurons endonym isn’t possible in Westron

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

William Bear posted:

The Encyclopedia of Arda tries to explain this.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/m/mouthofsauron.html

Further complicating this is the fact that, as was mentioned above, Sauron's "right name" was Mairon, though it does make sense for a mouthpiece to introduce himself by his master's most well-known name. I believe, though I'm not sure, that no other servant of Sauron uses the name Sauron, they call him epithets like The Eye, The Master, The Biggest, etc.

So two solutions present themselves: either the EoA is correct above, and Aragorn's information is just out of date; or the Mouth and other spokespeople for Sauron have special permission to speak the name.

maybe sauron had given him the right to use the s-word

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, it's really deceptively difficult to make a "realistic" map because reality isn't very plausible. I mean look at Central/South America, tell me that doesn't look like the work of a hack

buenos aires sounds like a town name from a lovely jrpg

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Remember too that names hold power in Middle-Earth. When Frodo cries out on Weathertop the name of Elbereth holds real power to harm or frighten the Ringwraiths.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Shibawanko posted:

buenos aires sounds like a town name from a lovely jrpg

"The town of Good-Air, because... the air is good? And it is the capital of Silvery-Land because they found a lot of silver there? Yeah right, get outta here you loving hack :rolleyes:"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

System Metternich posted:

"The town of Good-Air, because... the air is good? And it is the capital of Silvery-Land because they found a lot of silver there? Yeah right, get outta here you loving hack :rolleyes:"

the worst one is new zealand though. "north island" and "south island"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, it's really deceptively difficult to make a "realistic" map because reality isn't very plausible. I mean look at Central/South America, tell me that doesn't look like the work of a hack

The world is full of places where people went "gently caress it, let's use a name again, put the word 'new' in front of it and hope nobody notices."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Or they don't even bother with that, ala Paris, TX, Miami, OK, Lebanon, KS, etc

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChubbyChecker posted:

Either that or the beam of light Frodo and Sam saw coming from Barad-dur was Sauron noticing and deciding big mouth was getting a nice long stay in the Halls of Lamentation when he got back.

perc2
May 16, 2020

perc2 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 21, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

There is some interesting stuff with names in Lord of the Rings. Aragorn, for example, has four names (at least). Gandalf has a lot of names. Yet at no point are any of these names necessarily described as the true name of either Aragorn or Gandalf. Rather they use whatever name is appropriate for the time or place they happen to be in.

quote:

Then Aragorn entered first and the others followed. And there at the door were two guards in the livery of the Citadel: one tall, but the other scarce the height of a boy; and when he saw them he cried aloud in surprise and joy.

‘Strider! How splendid! Do you know, I guessed it was you in the black ships. But they were all shouting corsairs and wouldn’t listen to me. How did you do it?’

Aragorn laughed, and took the hobbit by the hand. ‘Well met indeed!’ he said. ‘But there is not time yet for travellers’ tales.’

But Imrahil said to Éomer: ‘Is it thus that we speak to our kings? Yet maybe he will wear his crown in some other name!’

And Aragorn hearing him, turned and said: ‘Verily, for in the high tongue of old I am Elessar, the Elfstone, and Envinyatar, the Renewer’: and he lifted from his breast the green stone that lay there. ‘But Strider shall be the name of my house, if that be ever established. In the high tongue it will not sound so ill, and Telcontar I will be and all the heirs of my body.’
At the doors of the Houses many were already gathered to see Aragorn, and they followed after him; and when at last he had supped, men came and prayed that he would heal their kinsmen or their friends whose lives were in peril through hurt or wound, or who lay under the Black Shadow. And Aragorn arose and went out, and he sent for the sons of Elrond, and together they laboured far into the night. And word went through the City: ‘The King is come again indeed.’ And they named him Elfstone, because of the green stone that he wore, and so the name which it was foretold at his birth that he should bear was chosen for him by his own people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alhazred posted:

The world is full of places where people went "gently caress it, let's use a name again, put the word 'new' in front of it and hope nobody notices."

I uh, didn’t mean place names, I’m talking about shapes. Like how there’s these two gigantic thicc landmasses held together by this ridiculously tiny little umbilical cord like someone was trying to make a deliberately obtuse Risk board

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

I uh, didn’t mean place names, I’m talking about shapes. Like how there’s these two gigantic thicc landmasses held together by this ridiculously tiny little umbilical cord like someone was trying to make a deliberately obtuse Risk board

And they didn't bother to put anything on half the globe. Just water! Couldn't they think of something to put there?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

antarctica is such a generic final dungeon kinda place

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shibawanko posted:

the worst one is new zealand though. "north island" and "south island"

Britain has The Highlands and The Midlands.

And the Lowlands/Netherlands are just over the Channel.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, right next to People’s Land

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

And the North Sea. How could I forget the North Sea? Generic AF!

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 21, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite part of that map was assuming Scotland would be a naval power

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"Tonight, on the eve of our setting sail for Darien, I wish most fervently upon a monkey's paw that due to this great endeavour, all Scotsmen shall one day be part of the greatest naval empire in the world!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but what did you all thing about Mt Doom literally being a Morgoth sacred place. Likes it’s him. The lava is him

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

Yeah but what did you all thing about Mt Doom literally being a Morgoth sacred place. Likes it’s him. The lava is him

I don't think much of it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

euphronius posted:

Eh, it's not really supported in the text. I know that part of the reason Morgoth is such a wimp at the end of the first age is that he had poured too much of himself into Middle-Earth, but I don't think that meant he became lava.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not lava in general

Wait. No yeah maybe lava in general ??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And Fëanor named him Moltar, the Dark Enemy of the World

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mt Doom might have an in-dwelling spirit of some sort. Caradhras does. And I definitely agree that it was made by him, it’s right up his alley.

It’s not Morgoth himself though. He’s thrown outside of the universe and no one can commune with him directly. Sauron’s and Pharazon’s religion to him is a deliberate fraud.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

skasion posted:

Mt Doom might have an in-dwelling spirit of some sort. Caradhras does. And I definitely agree that it was made by him, it’s right up his alley.

It’s not Morgoth himself though. He’s thrown outside of the universe and no one can commune with him directly. Sauron’s and Pharazon’s religion to him is a deliberate fraud.

That's just what those Numenorian colonizers would say.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

His spirit is still in the world like a horcr...... Phylactery

I agree the little, scarred and burnt remains of Melkor are gone

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

euphronius posted:

I like it

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

His spirit is still in the world like a horcr...... Phylactery

I agree the little, scarred and burnt remains of Melkor are gone

Stick with horcrux. JK Rowling sucks, but that particular piece of her work doesn't have any unfortunate implications attached to it. Contrast that to the word phylactery, which associates a Jewish religious practice with evil and death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, wouldn't that just piss Fëanor off that he gets trumped out of being the Spirit of Fire by a dude who's just constantly lava?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

skasion posted:

Sounds painful

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

Maybe, but why? He's a herald, not a fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Safety Biscuits posted:

Maybe, but why? He's a herald, not a fighter.

Because the Mouth is the closest thing Sauron has to a diplomat, and that's an important job. Using the boss' name in negotiations to intimidate his enemies is different than using it among your pals during water cooler talk.