Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gaj posted:

Yessssssss. My favorite CK2 run was a shattered world start where I played the Jewish count of Jerusalem and expanded. When my grandson inherited everything, both of his younger brothers rebelled. I defeated them and put them in jail. My old and sickly grandmother beseeched me to release them both, upon which they became 100+ favorable to me and were loyal.

Can you still castrate your enemies?

Gotta be Greek but now you can torture people in your dungeon and there are even perks that reward you doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just formed Carpathia as the Magyars and converted to Catholicism because Bulgarians were bothering me and holy warring all my poo poo.

Now I just need to feudalize my realm, convert the remaining heathens, and maybe expand a bit to form a nice Central European empire like the Austro-Hungarian Empire a thousand years too soon.

Then I´ll probably get bored and try something totally different.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tippis posted:

…and that right there is probably where things went awry. I've tried similar things and they at most got a duchy. I have literally nothing to back this up, only my own anecdotal evidence, but I suspect that since Catholicism takes such a dim view to women rulers that you can just use any old excuse to depose them, they also don't haphazardly give entire kingdoms away to them unless there are literally no other options.

I managed to test this out in a crusade for Jerusalem, and pretty much the exact same turn of events (75%+ of contribution both times, ended up occupying pretty much the exact same counties), and the time I picked a woman, she became a duchess; the time I picked a man, he got the grand prize.

If you’re the number one contributor listed on the crusade screen then your beneficiary should get the main title, it shouldn’t matter what gender they are as far as I’m aware. I’ve had two female beneficiaries as the largest contributor and they both got the queen title afterwards.

I think the only time this doesn’t happen is if the crusade is for a particular claimant, then that person will get the highest title. It sounds like this is the case for what happened with the other guy, since he was the former king of England. Although, that is confusing in your case that the results were so different. Maybe you weren’t actually number one in one of the wars? Maybe it depends on the particular inheritance for the title too, I’m not sure.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
My entire list of beneficiary choices in every crusade so far have only been women so I don't know how it figures it otherwise

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do hope they make it possible for children in the inheritance line to get named beneficiary. Godfrey, the first ruler of Jerusalem was the Duke of Lower Lorraine, and even if we assume that he was simply a participant and not the direct beneficiary (since he died one year after becoming ruler), the first man crowned king was his brother, who before the crusade would have been his primary heir.

I feel like it should be possible to name yourself or any heir beneficiary, but if you win as beneficiary, you get an event to decide if you are moving your capital to the new kingdom and your old liege then receives your titles and lands as abandoned (as happened to Godfrey). If you designate an heir it's fine, but I'd also include a change which makes it so that you can't inherit a title as a landed ruler if the de jure kingdoms of each are not within diplomatic range of each other. Thus if you name your eldest son heir, when you die he will not inherit your lands, going instead to landless children or landed children in diplo range.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

also due to being raided I'm hostile against the raiders for the next 892 years or so.

also:
does Old Man Arpad need to be alive when you convert so you can get the Álmost There achivement?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 22, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Daktar posted:

How do I nominate a heir with absolute crown authority? Just went up to it in the hopes of gaming the seniority succession, but I'm not seeing an option to pick someone. Do I need to be running primogeniture?

The succession tab under realm should also have a designate heir section

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

My entire list of beneficiary choices in every crusade so far have only been women so I don't know how it figures it otherwise

I keep kicking my second sons out of their pity barony and conquering Syria for them and they keep losing it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

also due to being raided I'm hostile against the raiders for the next 892 years or so.

This happened to me the other night; it went away after a little while.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Im playing as my boy Bjorn Ironside and I had one county in England, Cambridgshire. The locals started a war for it and I had my hands full in Sweden so I just surrendered giving it to them. Without any other wars or reason I gained another full county in Sweden with a vassal. He was at war but not with any of the parties I was involved with. How?

Edit: in the time it took to post that, another 3 counties just joined me. I was not at war or anyway involved with whatever the gently caress they were doing

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 22, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tippis posted:

…and that right there is probably where things went awry. I've tried similar things and they at most got a duchy. I have literally nothing to back this up, only my own anecdotal evidence, but I suspect that since Catholicism takes such a dim view to women rulers that you can just use any old excuse to depose them, they also don't haphazardly give entire kingdoms away to them unless there are literally no other options.

I managed to test this out in a crusade for Jerusalem, and pretty much the exact same turn of events (75%+ of contribution both times, ended up occupying pretty much the exact same counties), and the time I picked a woman, she became a duchess; the time I picked a man, he got the grand prize.

Nah that's not it, I've installed multiple female relatives on various thrones.

The key is that if there's a recently deposed monarch (of the correct faith I assume but don't know) the head of faith will try to reinstate them rather than any of the beneficiaries. You gotta check the "choose over preferred candidate" or whatever that box says.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Does anyone have a good guide for the basics of modding? I made one before ages ago for Stellaris but I kind of forgot how it works. The wiki has a good page on like, how to set up a mod but I can't for the life of me remember what to do once I have the like, mod shell. I'm pretty comfortable reading through and hacking the files for various PDX games so I think I know like, what I'd want to do if I just wanted to change the CK3 files themselves -- but the whole idea of a mod is that those files can get overwritten and changed. Do I just uh, put a copy of the edited text file in the mod location? Do I need to recreate the path that file is in in the real CK3 folder? I'm specifically wanting to just gently caress around and add more names to some cultures name lists but I remember doing that in CK2 and then having it all be re-written by an update.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Corbeau posted:

The best thing about being an emperor is occasionally looking down to catch up on how your vassals have been aggressively re-distributing all those titles you handed out decades ago.

The worst thing about being an emperor is having 60 angry powerful vassals to deal with after succession. Especially that one fucker who somehow ate four other dukes while your dad wasn't looking.

I started paying attention to this after I conquered a duchy, revoked the title of the current duke (while still letting him keep a county) and installed a dynasty member -- it was great because he had 22 Martial!

Then I wondered why he disappeared from my council and that was because the dude lost the title back to the original holder in a war!

I couldn't revoke the ducal title a second time due to that stupid lockout so I had to get a claim on his current county, and revoke that to start another war, this time throwing him into a dungeon. But that still wouldn't let me reinstall my original choice as duke because the title was still locked out and he just kicked out one of the existing counts to take his land. I had to revoke two more counties before completely unlanding him. Even when I got a Fabricated Claim on the whole duchy, I couldn't use it because of the lockout...

By the time I was able to reassign the duchy again it seemed like my original candidate had completely vanished lol

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I keep kicking my second sons out of their pity barony and conquering Syria for them and they keep losing it.

Yeah, my son lasted a few months as king of Syria before converting. Then he quickly became a vassal of one of the nearby empires. The lovely thing is that his heir ended up being a different dynasty somehow, so I wasn't even getting the extra renown after he died. Meanwhile, Jerusalem turned into a powerhouse but my dynasty was so small at the time of that crusade that I didn't have any possible beneficiaries I could name.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for the basics of modding? I made one before ages ago for Stellaris but I kind of forgot how it works. The wiki has a good page on like, how to set up a mod but I can't for the life of me remember what to do once I have the like, mod shell. I'm pretty comfortable reading through and hacking the files for various PDX games so I think I know like, what I'd want to do if I just wanted to change the CK3 files themselves -- but the whole idea of a mod is that those files can get overwritten and changed. Do I just uh, put a copy of the edited text file in the mod location? Do I need to recreate the path that file is in in the real CK3 folder? I'm specifically wanting to just gently caress around and add more names to some cultures name lists but I remember doing that in CK2 and then having it all be re-written by an update.

I'm pretty new to CK3 modding but I'll take a stab at this (and I'm sure I'm using some terminology wrong here):

My understanding is that changing something like that is just creating a file that shares the same folder structure and including the very top-level entry for what you want to change in the file. For what you're wanting to do, I'd assume you'd make a file in yourmodpath/common/culture/cultures/ called something like XX_latin.txt or XX_chinese.txt, where you'd have the top-level entry latin_group/chinese_group copied in its entirely, with the additional names you wanted.

Then you'd need a localization file, placed in yourmodpath/localization/english(or whatever language)/names/ and called something like xx_character_names_l_english.yml. I don't believe you'd need to include all of the old text for a localization file, just the new names you want to add underneath a l_english: line. I'd look at the corresponding base game files to get a handle of how to set them up. I honestly don't know how much file name matters, it seems like you can preface it with anything, but a localization file must end in _l_english to localize in English (and I presume it's equivalent for other languages). Hopefully if I got any of that wrong somebody can correct me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, my son lasted a few months as king of Syria before converting. Then he quickly became a vassal of one of the nearby empires. The lovely thing is that his heir ended up being a different dynasty somehow, so I wasn't even getting the extra renown after he died. Meanwhile, Jerusalem turned into a powerhouse but my dynasty was so small at the time of that crusade that I didn't have any possible beneficiaries I could name.

To add insult to injury, my idiot nephew cousin kept the name Catholic Syria even after he converted to Isma'ili.

In better news, The Holy Roman Empire survived its first primogeniture transfer of power and I am now a 4th generation famous reveler. I even hold the de jure capital! It's sad how the AI lets its holding remain a pigsty. I have leased-out baronies in Bohemia that are in better shape than Aachen.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 22, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

To add insult to injury, my idiot nephew cousin kept the name Catholic Syria even after he converted to Isma'ili.

In better news, The Holy Roman Empire survived its first primogeniture transfer of power and I am now a 4th generation famous reveler. I even hold the de jure capital! It's sad how the AI lets its holding remain a pigsty. I have leased-out baronies in Bohemia that are in better shape than Aachen.

The AI really likes to save money for, and then spend money on, mercenaries. It's why so many people keep getting caught off guard by the AI dumping 1-2k more troops on them than they expected.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For all my current ruler's accomplishments I think cleaning up the internal borders makes me the happiest?

I am at the point where I am near the vassal limit simply from dukes lol, I am probably going to have to start letting go of a kingdom title just to get back under the limit. That cluster of counties east of Lobi will be consolidated once I can afford to create the duchy, but I need to build up a nest egg for my heir's transition.

It really helps knowing when your reign is up because I can just YOLO with the tyranny from retracting and revoking lol

I have 12k prestige and 2.7k piety, I don't know what to do with them since i can't take them with me

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For all my current ruler's accomplishments I think cleaning up the internal borders makes me the happiest?

Congratulations, this makes you officially a Paradox fan.

You start off with the role playing, or with nationalist-revisionist history, or to teach yourself better geography. You end up simulating horrible cruelties not in the name of your god or your house, not because it's what your character would do or because it's what a real historical ruler would do but because -- only because -- it makes the borders prettier. This is the way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Huh, so my heir is from my wife's house, rather than mine (we are both in the same dynasty). My children are roughly a 50/50 split between us. I'm fairly certain he is actually my son just based on the traits he has though...

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

How does the religious tenet Communion work? I added it to my new Hindu faith but nobody has paid me any gold yet.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I just accidentally castrated my grandchild. I didn't think my dude would go THAT far to get a hook on my heir and vassal.

GOTY.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

space uncle posted:

How does the religious tenet Communion work? I added it to my new Hindu faith but nobody has paid me any gold yet.

You need to actually have a head of faith. Two holy sites in your domain then create the title in the decisions window

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have 12k prestige and 2.7k piety, I don't know what to do with them since i can't take them with me

What I think would be neat is if a small %, like 20% or so, of prestige/piety in your bank at time of death counts towards your heirs' fame/devotion. Maybe in partition succession, each heir gets 10%. It kinda feels bad to have it just evaporate.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

Congratulations, this makes you officially a Paradox fan.

You start off with the role playing, or with nationalist-revisionist history, or to teach yourself better geography. You end up simulating horrible cruelties not in the name of your god or your house, not because it's what your character would do or because it's what a real historical ruler would do but because -- only because -- it makes the borders prettier. This is the way.

Congrats. You made pretty borders sound lame.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
If I'm the tribal Irish Asatru High King of Brittania, is there no way to reform my government without invading Scandinavia to claim all the holy sites and reforming the religion first? Seems like it should be way easier to do a heresy when I'm the most prestigious and most pious man in the known world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone know why I can't create a cadet branch? The condition that isn't met is "None of your ancestors belong to your current house", which I don't think could possibly mean what it says, because then nobody could create a cadet branch...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe it means “live ancestors”?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Turns out that is what it meant!

Now if only I could refund these stupid guile legacies the AI seems to think are a good idea. :smith:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, it's this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am not as ambitious as the Empire of Africa player who took all of Africa plus the Arabian peninsula. But I think I might be able to get all of Subsaharan Africa from west to east.

My personal goal is to build the University of Sankoré before 1453, that will be the capstone to this game I think :eng101:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I was kind of bummed to discover the University of Salamanca gets put in the bishopric of that county, so I don't actually get any of the special benefits from it whatsoever. I would have to create my own bespoke heresy of Catholicism just to be able to take that holding I guess...

Well at least I got the "the Scholar" title for sponsoring the construction of the school I'll never own.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Oh awesome. My Ironman save hit that bug where it loads an old save. So now I'm like 6-8 years ago, like 25% of the way through the Crusades. gently caress that. It took me hours to get through that and the micro sucks. RIP that savegame. And the other save I was playing (African matrilineal - 867AD Daurama Daura of Kano starts with an event to go Female Preference succession in the first month) is pointless because every female leader marries Patrilineally and fucks themselves out of titles (apparently another confirmed bug).

Might just wait for a major patch now. And gently caress ironman, even though it's helped me ride with the flow of making bad decisions.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 22, 2020

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Total exclave independence and the HRE do not mix, apparently:

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Promethium posted:

Happened in my latest game too, HRE had taken over most of Europe when it suddenly exploded.

I'd like a patch now paradox, it's been 3 weeks. I have the rest of the week off and want to play CK3.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Promethium posted:

Checks out

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A vassal murdered my son and heir but because I transitioned from being a tribal power I can't imprison him?

Also, what do people do once they reach a big enough size? I am now at 1175 (ish) and have conquered all of Western Europe. Other than research what are people doing waiting for the end game?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've just been hunting for side achievements, my game has been over for a while. So I broke up the HRE and reform the Roman empire.

Tho as I think about it that might not have triggered anything since I was Spain.

e: ok it did, rise from the ashes is available to anyone. Looks like about all I have left to do for this run is get naked as emperor and grant independence to 10 dynastic kings just to make sure I got the nepotism one down

Azhais fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 22, 2020

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Josef bugman posted:

A vassal murdered my son and heir but because I transitioned from being a tribal power I can't imprison him?

Did you raise crown authority after transitioning? I'm actually not sure if the lowest crown authority allows imprisonment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Also, what do people do once they reach a big enough size? I am now at 1175 (ish) and have conquered all of Western Europe. Other than research what are people doing waiting for the end game?

Go make your own religion, attack and dethrone God, install your dynasty in every other country, inbreed like a (own)motherfucker and birth a purebred child, or start a new game or switch characters to a vassal or rival.