Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Once I learned that Star Trek 09 was literally just JJ Abrams' explicitly stated demo reel to pitch a new Star Wars movie to LucasFilm with, I reached a kind of "okay, whatever" zen with it. Shame about basically everything he went on to do after that though, The Force Awakens not withstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
People keep saying that, but I’m not sure how you do a demo reel six years before TFA was even a thing and three years before Disney even bought the franchise and announced the trilogy.

ST09 is clearly influenced by JJ’s childhood memories of Star Wars, but saying it was just him using Trek as a demo reel for TFA is just some nonsense created by the internet after the fact.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Once I learned that Star Trek 09 was literally just JJ Abrams' explicitly stated demo reel to pitch a new Star Wars movie to LucasFilm with, I reached a kind of "okay, whatever" zen with it. Shame about basically everything he went on to do after that though, The Force Awakens not withstanding.

This feels like one of those weird urban legends that has just become accepted fact over time through cultural osmosis, like "a bunch of Phase II scripts wound up being used for TNG" or "Shades of Gray was a clip show because the WGA was on strike." I mean, Abrams didn't even become involved until Orci and Kurtzman had a script approved by Paramount (which he later worked on with them, but it still wasn't like the project began with Abrams, and his involvement was such that he didn't even get a WGA "story by" credit); I believe Sam Raimi and at least one other director were approached before Abrams signed to direct.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe I'm just misremembering things then. All's I know for certain was that JJ's all over the bonus features for Trek 09 going "What I really wanted to make was a Star Wars movie," and because 09 looks, feels, and sounds more like a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie, well, if it walks like a duck... I dunno. But you're right, that sentiment has became a sort widely accepted semi-true cultural fiction.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unmature posted:

I’ve been reading big chunks of old parts of this thread and I forget who recommended it but THANK YOU to whomever mentioned the audiobook of Q-Squared read by John De Lancie. Fiancée and I are halfway through it and we’re digging it big time. Gonna watch the Trelane episode tonight. Never seen it, but we’ve been sprinkling in the occasional TOS episode into our TNG watch through.

Finished this up on our final drive to our new place and goddamn is it stellar. If it were an episode it would be the most batshit episode of any Trek show for sure. It goes nuts.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 22, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

There was a time where I LOVED ST09 and now I just remember some good performances and one or two fun quips which is what happened with most MCU films as I got older. Beyond still sits in my memory as a great movie though I’ve never watched that one not in the theater. Into Darkness is the worst film I ever saw twice in the theater.

I’ve been reading big chunks of old parts of this thread and I forget who recommended it but THANK YOU to whomever mentioned the audiobook of Q-Squared read by John De Lancie. Fiancée and I are halfway through it and we’re digging it big time. Gonna watch the Trelane episode tonight. Never seen it, but we’ve been sprinkling in the occasional TOS episode into our TNG watch through.

You should track down Spock vs Q, and Spock vs Q: The Sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao

I listened to both of them years ago and they're funny as poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jsem prd monstrum

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Serious question: Why do Vulcans join Starfleet, if they find it hard to be around humans and other emotional species?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

You should track down Spock vs Q, and Spock vs Q: The Sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao

I listened to both of them years ago and they're funny as poo poo.

Hell yeah they’re both on Hoopla. Thanks for the rec, they’re both on the list

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Serious question: Why do Vulcans join Starfleet, if they find it hard to be around humans and other emotional species?

With Spock, it makes sense, since Journey to Babel makes it clear that Spock chose to go into Starfleet due to his hybrid heritage. (The Animated Series touches upon this, too.) With other Vulcans, I don't know ... Vulcan Science Academy was full that year?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Presumably there is something about Starfleet service that some Vulcans consider to be worth the discomfort. Whether that's ambition, desire to serve a greater good, love of exploration and discovery, or what, is almost certainly down to the individual Vulcan serving.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also some to most are assholes that want to lord their superiority over everyone

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Not really. Shatner Kirk cheats because he wants to win. Pine Kirk cheats because gently caress Authority. (I mean, Shatner's Kirk rejects the premise of the test because he doesn't believe in a no-win scenario. Pine's Kirk rejects the test because he's offended by the idea that the Academy sets a test that's not winnable. It's subtly different).

This is just the well trodden ground on how JJ only saw movie Kirk, and didn't appreciate that original movie Kirk is a guy at the end of his career who's earned the right to decide to say 'gently caress the rules', rather than a guy at the start of his career who would just be kicked out.

While as I said I totally like the novel test cheating better, and it's my personal canon for the OT Kirk, the JJ difference is consitent--not just with Kirk Drift, but moreso with the different character--Kelvinverse Kirk is a fundamentally different person--born early, different father, a chip on his shoulder. He's older than Main Timeline Kirk when in the Academy too-when Shatner Kirk was that age he was probably on the Farragut as an LT. The idea that he rejects the test for that subtle reason is earned by the story.

Now were JJ and the writers thinking that deeply about it? No idea.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Presumably there is something about Starfleet service that some Vulcans consider to be worth the discomfort. Whether that's ambition, desire to serve a greater good, love of exploration and discovery, or what, is almost certainly down to the individual Vulcan serving.

keep the humans from loving up irreparably

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I have a soft spot for star trek 5. I have two small fixes

1)instead of Sybok being Spock's brother; make him a former Kolinahr instructor gone off the wrong path

2) instead of the center of the universe; just make it a planet inside a hostile nebula

Star Trek 1979 is an ok film but I dont think I really want to rewatch it

ST09 is the only one of those three modern films I like

Generations is my favorite of the TNG era and thou I liked First Contact in the 90s I just dont care for Action-Picard

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I wonder if the parts of your body that allow you to experience pain are transported a fraction of a second ahead of the rest of you. Or perhaps there is some kind of built in ultra short-term memory loss; anything to mitigate the ramifications of being torn apart at a molecular level.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does Discovery have any magic Q kind of stuff in it at all? Or are they too chickenshit for that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Discovery plays pretty fast and loose with reality, everything is underlain by magic fungi. Also loads and loads of time travel

If you are asking “is it fun”, no it is not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Does Discovery have any magic Q kind of stuff in it at all? Or are they too chickenshit for that.

Q's showing up on Lower Decks in the next few weeks. Lower Decks is also delightfully batshit insane. It is one giant Star Trek shitpost made into a TV show.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Your spoiler is without honor

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe I'm just misremembering things then. All's I know for certain was that JJ's all over the bonus features for Trek 09 going "What I really wanted to make was a Star Wars movie," and because 09 looks, feels, and sounds more like a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie, well, if it walks like a duck... I dunno. But you're right, that sentiment has became a sort widely accepted semi-true cultural fiction.

I never heard the rumors, but it was blindingly obvious after seeing 2009 for the first time that Abrams wanted to do Star Wars, not Star Trek.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Vulcans even had a Constitution-class crewed entirely by Vulcans. That'd take care of the annoying emotional humans. The USS Intrepid was lost in 2269 tot he Space Amoeba.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

He's in the goddamn trailer for the show :manning:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bilirubin posted:

:hmmyes:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bilirubin posted:

Earth: Still exists in JJVerse.

Vulcan: ?????

Checkmate, Vulcans.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mllaneza posted:

I never heard the rumors, but it was blindingly obvious after seeing 2009 for the first time that Abrams wanted to do Star Wars, not Star Trek.

I believe he said in post-release interviews that he was always more of a Star Wars fan than he was a Star Trek fan, so he really wasn't all that familiar with the lore, and that's where people latched onto the idea that Star Trek 2009 was an audition reel for Star Wars and it just kind of seeped through via Internet osmosis, even though that script is about 95 percent Orci / Kurtzman and five percent Abrams.

People really dug for any possible way to find any way to impugn JJ the Usurper.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I believe he said in post-release interviews that he was always more of a Star Wars fan than he was a Star Trek fan, so he really wasn't all that familiar with the lore, and that's where people latched onto the idea that Star Trek 2009 was an audition reel for Star Wars and it just kind of seeped through via Internet osmosis, even though that script is about 95 percent Orci / Kurtzman and five percent Abrams.

People really dug for any possible way to find any way to impugn JJ the Usurper.

The only good trek is my trek

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

CPColin posted:

did a spoiler kick worfs rear end

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mllaneza posted:

He's also super bad at making Star Wars and a lot of the flaws that hosed up ST09 also gently caress up TFA. Arguably they're worse there and he has more responsibility for them, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JJ Abrams's movies don't seem very star trekky or star warsy to me. If anything, the sci fi world they'd fit in best with is Mass Effect. They have the same modern cinema aesthetics with orange/blue and lens flares.

Really weird idea to blow up both Vulcan and Romulus and try rebooting the entire franchise from scratch without all the developments that had been made up to that point, although I'm not sure how much of that would even have been his idea.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Paradoxish posted:

He's also super bad at making Star Wars and a lot of the flaws that hosed up ST09 also gently caress up TFA. Arguably they're worse there and he has more responsibility for them, too.

TFA was fine. The real mistake was bringing him back to salvage IX from Trevorrow instead of just taking the time to figure out an ending properly. They should have just given Rian Johnson the whole trilogy. He’s clearly the only one who had an actual vision for his film instead of just smashing action figures together on the floor like JJ did.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Verviticus posted:

did a spoiler kick worfs rear end

If it showed up in TNG, then probably

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

nine-gear crow posted:

He's in the goddamn trailer for the show :manning:

I thought that was only in the "second half of season preview" video they released

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

JJ Abrams's movies don't seem very star trekky or star warsy to me. If anything, the sci fi world they'd fit in best with is Mass Effect. They have the same modern cinema aesthetics with orange/blue and lens flares.

In terms of design Mass Effect is probably closer to Star Trek than JJTrek is, particularly the initial refit and TMP aesthetic. Mass Effect has a lot of inspiration from Syd Mead (in fact I think he contributed some) and the TMP look was very deliberately Syd Mead esque.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TFA was fine. The real mistake was bringing him back to salvage IX from Trevorrow instead of just taking the time to figure out an ending properly. They should have just given Rian Johnson the whole trilogy. He’s clearly the only one who had an actual vision for his film instead of just smashing action figures together on the floor like JJ did.

JJ is a perfectly good setup guy, has an eye for putting together appealing cast and even if the cracks in the foundations become more obvious on rewatches, he did make some movies that are in the moment were pretty enjoyable and widely liked. Star Wars and Star Trek were both in shallow graves before he did his movies and changed that, he just shouldn't have been brought back after Force Awakens or Star Trek 09 (I'm more forgiving towards In Darkness than many people, but it's such a retread that Beyond could have been a direct sequel to either movie and you'd never know the difference)

Hell, he even made the worst Mission Impossible movie, but his take set the template for the ones that followed, they still use the core cast he put together and they've all been good because he never made another one

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly, I think any of the would've been fine if they'd been given a chance to write the whole trilogy as a single thing. By far the worst move disney made was not breaking the story of the entire thing before starting to film the first.

Johnson ended up causing the most problem in the overall arc, really - he had a vision for his film and executed it greatly, but at the cost that it was absolutely not what the second of three parts should be. The position of the plot and setup at the end of TLJ was something where honestly I think the best move would've been to declare it a quadrilogy, there's no way to satisfactorily wrap things up from there in one movie.

I'm not going to bash on JJ for what he did with the movies given all of the leaks about how much studio interference and rewriting and inserting there was in both of his wars movies, especially tRoS.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 22, 2020

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Dog becoming a cube and rolling away is still a great sight gag.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Brute Squad posted:

The Dog becoming a cube and rolling away is still a great sight gag.

I think it's their reaction that sells the joke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seemlar posted:

Hell, he even made the worst Mission Impossible movie, but his take set the template for the ones that followed, they still use the core cast he put together and they've all been good because he never made another one

There is no way on God's green Earth that Mission: Impossible III is worse than M:I 2, the movie whose director had to be fired out of the editing room because his cut was incomprehensible.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seemlar posted:

JJ is a perfectly good setup guy, has an eye for putting together appealing cast and even if the cracks in the foundations become more obvious on rewatches, he did make some movies that are in the moment were pretty enjoyable and widely liked. Star Wars and Star Trek were both in shallow graves before he did his movies and changed that, he just shouldn't have been brought back after Force Awakens or Star Trek 09 (I'm more forgiving towards In Darkness than many people, but it's such a retread that Beyond could have been a direct sequel to either movie and you'd never know the difference)

Hypothesis: JJ is the modern Gene Roddenberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thotsky posted:

I wonder if the parts of your body that allow you to experience pain are transported a fraction of a second ahead of the rest of you. Or perhaps there is some kind of built in ultra short-term memory loss; anything to mitigate the ramifications of being torn apart at a molecular level.
I think it's related to the part where the Warp Daemons feast upon your soul and then forge a mockery simulacrum of you which they then insert into the replicated body on the other end of the process, as per the agreement with the Vulcan hell-sorcerors which will come to fruition on Stardate 2666666 and create the Eye of Terror, which will only be repelled by the brave suffering of Grand Nagus Rom upon his latinum throne.

I think the episode with Barclay and the transporter parasites suggest that you actually don't lose consciousness, from your perspective everything turns into a shimmery wimmery thing (and I assume you are briefly immobilized) before it fades away and you're in the transporter room. Contextually this seems to make perfect sense, as in Star Trek, there is clearly some kind of energy form or pattern which could be loosely analogized to the concept of the soul, which is to a certain extent transferrable, and is presumably the nucleus in beings like the Organians or Kevin Uxbridge.

In general it seems like the presence of psychics with quantifiable abilities like this would allow you to resolve once and for all the whole "does the transporter ACTUALLY kill you" issue.

Of course, the fact that you can to some extent scientifically verify the existence of the literal soul has its own implications, probably more profound than just "oh, aliens."