Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Can I just say, despite it being a 10 year old game and kind of jank, that I appreciate in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 that the relationship mission for Dozle Zabi is just him going out to kick the poo poo out of Banagher? Just remembered out of the blue and it made me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

General Ironicus posted:

Here's a video essay about fashion design and theories of the body. It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQswVIwQIyE

This is pretty cool, thanks!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah it's pretty neat!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Basically the thunderbolt author is so slow the production house doesn't want to produce anymore of the anime until they think they have enough manga to adapt without you know just making it up on their own. So we'll be waiting on the follow up for who knows how long.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I kinda want them to come out with a Re:Rise MSV of Rising Gundam for Hinata.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Warmachine posted:

I kinda want them to come out with a Re:Rise MSV of Rising Gundam for Hinata.

:same: I hope they make one for her if they ever make a Battlogue for Re:Rise. Maybe give Freddie a Gundam too, the kid would probably enjoy being able to fly around.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Basically the thunderbolt author is so slow the production house doesn't want to produce anymore of the anime until they think they have enough manga to adapt without you know just making it up on their own. So we'll be waiting on the follow up for who knows how long.

On the one side of the balance, the manga's nearing an end, or at least it looks like it is.

On the other, Thunderbolt seems less popular in Japan than stateside, judging from the big Gundam poll. There, it fell below Victory, Awakening of the Trailblazer, and F91 in popularity (although it still beat AGE and G-Reco). Probably makes it less of a priority for Sunrise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

:same: I hope they make one for her if they ever make a Battlogue for Re:Rise. Maybe give Freddie a Gundam too, the kid would probably enjoy being able to fly around.

The Battlogue for Re:Rise (and the previous Build Divers) was already announced I think. We have no idea what may appear in it though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
IBO:MSV when? We’ve got like 60+ more gundam frames to talk about, and that’s just the origin versions! Anyway.

Quick question on Unicorn. The second time Banager goes out, at the last minute he decides to detract from the catapult and speed off. Without warning a laser destroys it, just moments later.

How did he know to get off the catapult? What’s the point of that decision, instead of just having it launch normally like what was seen everywhere else dozens of times?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

IBO:MSV when? We’ve got like 60+ more gundam frames to talk about, and that’s just the origin versions! Anyway.

Quick question on Unicorn. The second time Banager goes out, at the last minute he decides to detract from the catapult and speed off. Without warning a laser destroys it, just moments later.

How did he know to get off the catapult? What’s the point of that decision, instead of just having it launch normally like what was seen everywhere else dozens of times?

I think the answer to both comes to the same point.

The scene is to show that Banagher's developing as a Newtype, showing precognition to dodge the laser. He "knows" what's going to happen before it does, developing beyond most people's limits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wasn't he not cleared for takeoff? So the catapult wouldn't actually spit him out since that's controlled by the ship.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

wasn't he not cleared for takeoff? So the catapult wouldn't actually spit him out since that's controlled by the ship.

Oh, ok this makes more sense than the newtype thing because there’s no newtupw flash or anything like that.

Thanks!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, I finally got around to starting off going down the Gundam rabbit hole. Watched the first of the three compilation movies.

Should I spoiler tag my thoughts/plot stuff, or is it fine to just post it plainly since it's the very start?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just go for it imo, spoilers for a 40 year old anime arent exactly a big deal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I swear I heard that the author for thunderbolt had severe hand/wrist issues that were forcing him to slow down and put things on hiatus

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Alright!

So, Zakus. They're wonderfully dumb looking, and I adore the ridiculousness of the pilots stepping out onto the hand of the Zaku to use binoculars instead of... using some sort of built in zoom system on the Zaku's cameras?

Amuro's a dumbass, most of the citizens of the Side are dumbasses, they do not understand the value of bunkers nor the necessity to stay inside them. I do not understand why literally everybody started running out of it.

Next, the White Base crew are a bunch of dumbasses. If the Gundam is so damned powerful that a kid can easily overpower trained soldiers with no issues, why didn't Amuro's dad just jump in? Why not, once combat started, have the engineers board them? Is it Newtype related?

I love Amuro being so incompetent that he straight up gets his dad killed by blowing a hole in the side. I also love that he doesn't know - makes it all the better for the "War is Hell" vibe they're trying to do.

Bright is an absolute unrepentant rear end in a top hat to Amuro and to Amuro alone, even when he deserves it, it feels a tad much from him. I do not understand why they don't give the Gundam to the Core Fighter dude.

Char's got good style. Is his Zaku actually tuned up, or is he just that much of a badass? Red wunz go fasta? Also, why does he have a mask? People should obviously have seen his face, like Garma. Is it just stylish? Regardless, he's got a bone to pick with the Zabis so he's obviously Zeon guy's son.

So, Seyla. Totally related to Char. Probably the reason why Char doesn't let Garma destroy White Base. Seyla seems to be one of the few competent and reasonable people in the first movie, usually folks are one or the other. Core Fighter guy is the other notably chill dudes.

Pretty shocked Garma died. He seemed relatively chill, fairly likeable, thought we'd at least get to know his sister before he died. The whole family seems a bit convoluted - I know Gihren is a big deal, since some of the games are named after him, but what about the dad?

The whole thing with Amuro's mum was weird as heck. First, fakeout with the Federation soldiers trashing the house. Then, Zeon guys shake down the refugee camp/hospital thing she's working at? Then she gets pissy that Amuro defended himself from the evil occupying army that straight up dropped a colony on the planet?

Felt overly long and a tad meandering. Definitely feels like a compilation, and not a terribly great one. The story itself seems cool, and I like the conceit of the ragtag group being given high tech gear and having to keep on fighting in a war they weren't at all involved with, struggling with it all the way. I'd like to see Bright gently caress up more, but otherwise, it's pretty chill.

Please kill off the children. They are annoying. Maybe take that little robot with them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Char's got good style. Is his Zaku actually tuned up, or is he just that much of a badass? Red wunz go fasta?
The databook explanation is Char's has the limiters removed, so it chugs fuel like a fiend and is liable to slam into the nearest asteroid, hence why he mostly deploys from nearby spaceships rather than making long trips in the mech itself. Don't think that's ever actually addressed in show, though.

It's also a customization of the Zaku II Commander Type, rather than the base Zaku II. The Commander Type has slightly thicker armor, better thrusters to compensate for the extra armor, and a better generator. Of course all this costs more, so they mostly gave it to, well, commanders. You can tell the difference visually because of the little horn Commander Types have.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 22, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zaku cameras aren't great for long range scanning because of minovsky particle interference. In areas where particles are dense such as colonies, war zones or anywhere around a minovsky reactor (like a mobile suit generator) it can really gently caress with sensors, so binoculars and the ole' mark one eyeball can actually be an advantage for scouts.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Endorph posted:

The databook explanation is Char's has the limiters removed, so it chugs fuel like a fiend and is liable to slam into the nearest asteroid, hence why he mostly deploys from nearby spaceships rather than making long trips in the mech itself. Don't think that's ever actually addressed in show, though.

That makes sense, mild customisation of an improved model to cater to the skills of the pilot while increasing risks in some operating conditions, all highlighting the pilot's skills.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Zaku cameras aren't great for long range scanning because of minovsky particle interference.

Alright, so that's what the gently caress a Minovsky particle is. That makes sense! This first compilation movie's not really too great at explaining any of this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tbh those guys were right to leave the bunker because char's musai would have ended up bombing the colony anyways (since the zakus machine guns couldn't actually destroy the Gundam they'd have to go back). Of course amuro would have to be psychic to have known that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
To elaborate, Minovsky particles are a side effect of the reactor technology used by mobile suits and battleships that create electromagnetic interference. You can intentionally spread them to make the effect stronger, but even any kind of force moving through an area will cause some disruption. It's also why long range radar and missiles are basically useless - you can put thick shielding in a ship or a MS, but not so much in anything else.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, so that's what the gently caress a Minovsky particle is. That makes sense! This first compilation movie's not really too great at explaining any of this.

Minovsky particles are the waste byproduct of nuclear fusion in Gundam. They have a few properties but the most important one is that they fry electronics and completely disrupt long-range sensors, which is why missiles don't exist and battles have to be fought from close range with humanoid mechs instead of ships firing relativistic kinetic kill vehicles at each other from hundreds of thousands of kilometres away.

The show and films don't spend any time explaining this because it's a minor setting detail and the term sounds cool and science-y.

The Gundam wiki has an article that explains some of the in-setting science, if you really want know what AMBAC is (most of it has been made up over the years since First Gundam, but the shows do generally try to maintain a degree of consistency and plausibility): https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Gundam_Wiki:Technology#Minovsky_Physics

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 22, 2020

Caros
May 14, 2008

That makes sense, mild customisation of an improved model to cater to the skills of the pilot while increasing risks in some operating conditions, all highlighting the pilot's skills.

It is one of the things a Minovsky particle is.

The series didn't go into a lot of its sci-fi elements on screen, so most of it is left to source books, tech manuals and gunpla manuals.

The short version is they were trying to make a fusion reactor and found particles generated by helium 3 that had properties to allow for a clean fusion reaction.

These same particles had a bunch of other uses. When scattered en masse they create interference with the em spectrum. Radar is useless, and even visual light gets distorted to the point that the typical space combat tactic (shoot at thing from 12,000 km away using telescopes) doesn't work because what you see at a distance is getting reflected randomly by the particles.

It also screws up electronics because the ifield holds an electrical charge that can mess with unshielded circuitry. This makes long range guided missiles impractical because they would have to be much bigger to have their hardware not fry, and even then the interference makes them impossible to guide at a distance.

The last big one is megaparticles. Put a bunch of minovsky particles together under pressure and you end up with megaparticles, which in turn can be spat out the end of a beam weapon in order to blow poo poo up. A beam saber is similar, it just utilizes an I field (more minovsky particles) to keep the beam from dissipating.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minovsky particles are the excuse for any physics-breaking science in the UC basically.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

Minovsky particles are the excuse for any physics-breaking science in the UC basically.

Except for newtype stuff, which is its own brand of physics-breaking science.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alright!

So, Zakus. They're wonderfully dumb looking, and I adore the ridiculousness of the pilots stepping out onto the hand of the Zaku to use binoculars instead of... using some sort of built in zoom system on the Zaku's cameras?

Amuro's a dumbass, most of the citizens of the Side are dumbasses, they do not understand the value of bunkers nor the necessity to stay inside them. I do not understand why literally everybody started running out of it.

Next, the White Base crew are a bunch of dumbasses. If the Gundam is so damned powerful that a kid can easily overpower trained soldiers with no issues, why didn't Amuro's dad just jump in? Why not, once combat started, have the engineers board them? Is it Newtype related?

I love Amuro being so incompetent that he straight up gets his dad killed by blowing a hole in the side. I also love that he doesn't know - makes it all the better for the "War is Hell" vibe they're trying to do.

Bright is an absolute unrepentant rear end in a top hat to Amuro and to Amuro alone, even when he deserves it, it feels a tad much from him. I do not understand why they don't give the Gundam to the Core Fighter dude.

Char's got good style. Is his Zaku actually tuned up, or is he just that much of a badass? Red wunz go fasta? Also, why does he have a mask? People should obviously have seen his face, like Garma. Is it just stylish? Regardless, he's got a bone to pick with the Zabis so he's obviously Zeon guy's son.

So, Seyla. Totally related to Char. Probably the reason why Char doesn't let Garma destroy White Base. Seyla seems to be one of the few competent and reasonable people in the first movie, usually folks are one or the other. Core Fighter guy is the other notably chill dudes.

Pretty shocked Garma died. He seemed relatively chill, fairly likeable, thought we'd at least get to know his sister before he died. The whole family seems a bit convoluted - I know Gihren is a big deal, since some of the games are named after him, but what about the dad?

The whole thing with Amuro's mum was weird as heck. First, fakeout with the Federation soldiers trashing the house. Then, Zeon guys shake down the refugee camp/hospital thing she's working at? Then she gets pissy that Amuro defended himself from the evil occupying army that straight up dropped a colony on the planet?

Felt overly long and a tad meandering. Definitely feels like a compilation, and not a terribly great one. The story itself seems cool, and I like the conceit of the ragtag group being given high tech gear and having to keep on fighting in a war they weren't at all involved with, struggling with it all the way. I'd like to see Bright gently caress up more, but otherwise, it's pretty chill.

Please kill off the children. They are annoying. Maybe take that little robot with them.

If you want to see Bright gently caress up more, just watch the TV series. Something to remember is, no matter how old he looks, Bright and Ryu (the core-fighter pilot) are only 18 themselves. Bright is the oldest surviving crew member and he is an Ensign. The thing about the Gundam is it ISN'T easy to pilot. Amuro's knack for it actually does make him a better use of resources than putting Ryu in it, as Ryu can then go out in the Core Fighter. Another, dark way of looking at it, is that Ryu is a trained resource, and Amuro is a civilian, if Amuro dies, Ryu can replace him. If Ryu dies, you're right back to using a civilian.

As with Amuro's mother, she's anti-war, and she hasn't been in the thick of it to consider life or death situations. Just consider how she visualized Amuro shooting the soldier, He was standing confident, throwing off the blanket, firing with murder in his eyes. In contrast to what actually happened, which was a screaming child desperate to not die, trembling, clearly freaking out. In the end, Amuro can no longer connect with his mother, and this is the last time he ever sees her again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Onmi posted:

If you want to see Bright gently caress up more, just watch the TV series. Something to remember is, no matter how old he looks, Bright and Ryu (the core-fighter pilot) are only 18 themselves. Bright is the oldest surviving crew member and he is an Ensign. The thing about the Gundam is it ISN'T easy to pilot. Amuro's knack for it actually does make him a better use of resources than putting Ryu in it, as Ryu can then go out in the Core Fighter. Another, dark way of looking at it, is that Ryu is a trained resource, and Amuro is a civilian, if Amuro dies, Ryu can replace him. If Ryu dies, you're right back to using a civilian.

As with Amuro's mother, she's anti-war, and she hasn't been in the thick of it to consider life or death situations. Just consider how she visualized Amuro shooting the soldier, He was standing confident, throwing off the blanket, firing with murder in his eyes. In contrast to what actually happened, which was a screaming child desperate to not die, trembling, clearly freaking out. In the end, Amuro can no longer connect with his mother, and this is the last time he ever sees her again.

I think Amuro actually got his hands on the manual sometime in the first episode, though I am not sure what happens to it afterwards. Between that and him being a tech genius, he was able to digest enough to get the robot moving.

But yeah, Bright was the only one nearly qualified enough to become captain that was left; he is not good at it and arguably should not have been in the position in the first place, but circumstances meant he had to take the job. Same with Amuro and his friends in that they were press ganged into service because very little else was left.

I think they did try to rotate out pilots for the Gundam briefly but with the entire Zeon army on your tail you do not have the luxury of having to properly train another pilot and have to go with the best you got, even if it is a literal kid.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched the compilation movies over the last couple of weeks as the start of my renewed ADTRW toxx and Amuro definitely has the manual with him when he gets in the Gundam for the first time. He pretty much just skims it on the battlefield though.

Thunderbolt movie 1 and WitP were good (WitP especially so). I started 08th MS Team yesterday and I'm mostly wondering how this guy isn't dead yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Believe it or not, Amuro's got one of the better first flights in Gundam. He takes two experience enemy pilots down at once, and he follows up not long after by surviving a fight with the greatest ace alive (even if he's mostly carried by his MS in that one.)

Amuro didn't start as The Greatest, but for the first couple fights he was the only one who could operate the Gundam at all, and that snowballed since when other people (like Sayla) tried to pilot the Gundam for the first time, it tended to be even more awkward than Amuro's time piloting.

Basically, Amuro was their best Gundam pilot, and every time they had to rely on him as the best, he got better. Meanwhile, getting someone else field experience meant risking the Gundam and everyone's lives.

This is also part of why Bright is so harsh on Amuro. Kid's needed to keep them all alive and he knows it, which means Bright Noa (19) has to deal with a smart-mouthed fifteen year old who knows that everyone needs him, and who therefore feels free to mouth off sometimes. (And who also has PTSD, which is sometimes difficult to distinguish from his existing personal issues.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I never saw the compilation movies, but it's worth mentioning at least in the series that more people than Amuro were training to pilot the Gundam, and that Amuro mentions early on he has actually been working really hard off screen to try and get better. Nonetheless he's absolutely the best pilot right from the start in part because he's a tech geek with some natural aptitude and in part because he does have real combat experience, fumbling and flailing though he is.

As for Bright in the series one of the things that's noteworthy to me is that we see him growing into his role alongside Amuro. He's a little better mentally prepared to be captain than Amuro is to be a pilot (Ensign or no he is in the officer corp and not some antisocial engineering student), but the same period where Amuro is coming into his own and growing up you see Bright having to figure out how best to actually command complete with his own parallel to Amuro's trip into the desert. Of course I don't actually know which parts of the series are in which movie, so I could well be talking about stuff that's in the second MSG film. And if he comes across as way too harsh and overbearing, yeah, he's 19 in MSG, only a few years older than Amuro and he's overcompensating.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Omnicrom posted:

I never saw the compilation movies, but it's worth mentioning at least in the series that more people than Amuro were training to pilot the Gundam, and that Amuro mentions early on he has actually been working really hard off screen to try and get better. Nonetheless he's absolutely the best pilot right from the start in part because he's a tech geek with some natural aptitude and in part because he does have real combat experience, fumbling and flailing though he is.

As for Bright in the series one of the things that's noteworthy to me is that we see him growing into his role alongside Amuro. He's a little better mentally prepared to be captain than Amuro is to be a pilot (Ensign or no he is in the officer corp and not some antisocial engineering student), but the same period where Amuro is coming into his own and growing up you see Bright having to figure out how best to actually command complete with his own parallel to Amuro's trip into the desert. Of course I don't actually know which parts of the series are in which movie, so I could well be talking about stuff that's in the second MSG film. And if he comes across as way too harsh and overbearing, yeah, he's 19 in MSG, only a few years older than Amuro and he's overcompensating.

Movie 1 ends with the introduction of the Gouf, Amuro being sent out passed out at the controls and the Sieg Zeon speech, it's kinda a downer ending for the first film.

The second film handles Ramba Ral, the Black Tri-Stars, Ireland, Jaburo and launching to space. Basically the entire rest of earth.

The third film is all the space stuff with a lot of cuts and the most new footage. since things like "Hayato has a Guncannon, not a Guntank" and "No G-Fighter" are massive in film 3.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I watched the compilation movies over the last couple of weeks as the start of my renewed ADTRW toxx and Amuro definitely has the manual with him when he gets in the Gundam for the first time. He pretty much just skims it on the battlefield though.

The reason he's able to pilot the giant robot is that he has the unique ability to RTFM.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

Tbh those guys were right to leave the bunker because char's musai would have ended up bombing the colony anyways (since the zakus machine guns couldn't actually destroy the Gundam they'd have to go back). Of course amuro would have to be psychic to have known that.

Amuro says that he's leaving the bunker because the tremors are obviously caused by fighting, so Zeon must have attacked and the bunker won't survive a direct attack. Which it may not have. He left because he wanted to get his father to allow everyone on to a military ship, which would be safer for them since it could move away from the fighting or any attacks. It may not have been the smartest idea in the world, but was an understandable one.

Gaius Marius posted:

I swear I heard that the author for thunderbolt had severe hand/wrist issues that were forcing him to slow down and put things on hiatus

The author got some kind of injury to his dominant hand, and had to step away from the manga for a few months before returning while drawing with his off-hand. He's using some digital assitance to compensate if I recall, but has been continuing to draw with his off-hand, because he cannot draw with his dominant hand any more for health reasons. The manga has resumed it's normal schedule with a few years at this point though.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The show and films don't spend any time explaining this because it's a minor setting detail and the term sounds cool and science-y.

It's not so much an explanation as an introduction to the idea they exist, but there is mention of them in episode 4 of the TV show when the White Base goes to Luna II. Char asks the helmsman of his Musai if they'll be okay so close to Luna II, and the helmsman replies that the Minovsky field there is a little light, but they should be fine, after which Char notes that it's strange how the advancement of technology has forced people back to older ways of warfare reliant on line of sight and not radar. The details of what Minovsky particles can do aren't noted in the scene, but the idea that Minovsky particles gently caress with radar and force people to fight up close is established. The first movie skips over a lot of the content of that episode though, cutting out the conflict there entirely so that you basically just get a quick scene of the crew of the White Base talking to Wakkein, who tells them they can't stay at or leave their refugees at Luna II and have been ordered to go to Jaburo immediately and then it cuts to the White Base out in space and approaching Earth with a Salamis escort. Char doesn't even approach Luna II, and is instead shown meeting up with another Zeon supply ship to get more suits. Which is from episode 3, and is the only bit of that episode that makes it in, cutting out a lot of that episode too.

Onmi posted:

Ryu is better used in the core fighter for the simple reason that he's a trained core fighter pilot, so it's what he knows and what he's used too. He's guaranteed to perform well in the Core Fighter, where he might be a terrible Gundam pilot because he's never trained in it. Meanwhile, you could end up putting Amuro in the Core Fighter so Ryu can be put in the Gundam, and end up with him performing terribly in that too. Amuro is demonstrably okay in the Gundam, while Ryu is demonstrably okay in the Core Fighter; making keeping that arrangement a safer bet.

Omnicrom posted:

Amuro tells a Federation officer that he has logged 18 hours in a simulator, 35 hours training and 2 hours of combat just after they arrive on Earth. Which is 55 hours of training (i.e. more than 2 days training total) in what is about a week or so of actual time. Amuro trained a lot for at least those early days, and it wasn't just training since he had to maintain the Gundam too. He was also studying the Gundam in what little off time he had, so he knew how it's computer worked and so on. He must have barely had time for sleep, and it's no wonder Fraw was always trying to make him eat, because he probably never took time off for it without outside prompting.

Omnicrom posted:

The most important scene for Bright in the show is probably the infamous slap, which is usually used more to demonstrate Amuro's childishness and became a meme in the West based on that, even though Amuro was pretty well justified in his actions at the time based on how worn down from constant combat he was with no relief and no training to mentally prepare him for that life, but Bright in that scene is completely and utterly lost about how to control Amuro. He slaps Amuro because he cannot think of any other way to motivate Amuro, and he needs Amuro in the Gundam in that moment to save his and everyone else's lives. The slap just put Amuro's back up and made things worse though, and in reality it was Bright's offhand mention of Char as he's leaving that motivated Amuro. The relationship between the two gets even worse after that, before they eventually find a way to work together, but its the scene that most clearly demonstrates how out of his depth Bright is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Movie 1 ends with the introduction of the Gouf, Amuro being sent out passed out at the controls and the Sieg Zeon speech, it's kinda a downer ending for the first film.

The second film handles Ramba Ral, the Black Tri-Stars, Ireland, Jaburo and launching to space. Basically the entire rest of earth.

The third film is all the space stuff with a lot of cuts and the most new footage. since things like "Hayato has a Guncannon, not a Guntank" and "No G-Fighter" are massive in film 3.

Fun to note is that in the landing on A Boa Qu, they forgot to dummy out one of the G-Fighters landed on the surface. :v:

I always found it super conspicuous. Truthfully, when I first played the Encounters in Space and Journey to Jaburo video games I didn't get why Hayato was in a Guncannon since I'd only seen some of the anime as aired on Toonami at the time. I did think it made more sense than having the Guntank flying through space, but I only learned later why that was the case.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The reason he's able to pilot the giant robot is that he has the unique ability to RTFM.

A valuable ability, I say as someone who writes the loving manual.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TBH, while there's a lot of stuff that's good not included in the compilation films, it might be worth just watching episode 14, Time Be Still (the one with the poorly equipped squad of nobodies from a Zeon base in the middle of nowhere trying to take out the Gundam). It's a fairly fillerish episode, but it's generally considered one of the best of the series and is my favorite period. Just a good short bit of drama and a different plot than you usually see on the show.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is Bright elaborated on more in the main show compared to the compilation movies? Because it seems like a super loving huge deal that he’s not like, on top of not being a veteran commander, that he’s like nineteen and leading an army of teens in a pretty honestly poo poo situation for everyone involved, that feels pretty goddamn important.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Last Celebration posted:

Is Bright elaborated on more in the main show compared to the compilation movies? Because it seems like a super loving huge deal that he’s not like, on top of not being a veteran commander, that he’s like nineteen and leading an army of teens in a pretty honestly poo poo situation for everyone involved, that feels pretty goddamn important.

You gotta remember the Federation is basically hosed at the start of the series. They have no competent leadership, they're desperately behind in weapons tech and basically losing the war. Everyone that was supposed to run White Base gets killed in the initial sortie, and they're stuck in Zeon territory for the vast majority of the series. When they move to replace him when they reach HQ, guess what disaster strikes again and circumstances force him to keep the role. The whole show is about youth being thrust into impossible positions they shouldn't have and somehow making chicken salad out of chicken poo poo (power of the youth and hope for the future yada yada). The Federation is only barely in a position to do anything about it by time the war ends and then promptly the EF splits the crew apart and hides Amuro on a luxury estate until basically Zeta because they don't want to deal with any of the fall out of kids winning the war for them.

But no Bright simply is. A dude nominally wise beyond his years, that sees through the EF bullshit, and you just sorta have to accept that he was the only one with some amount of military training and although he isn't a newtype, does have a keen sense for space combat being a younger guy than most of the older commanders who treat it like it's something it isn't. Bright is just good at his job no matter how hard all the even younger kids make it on him.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 22, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think in one if the episodes following Luna II they were trying to get the bridge crew of the White Base replaced with a qualified CO, but Char attacked them before the crew could transfer forcing Bright to remain in command and try to get out of the combat zone.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You gotta remember the Federation is basically hosed at the start of the series. They have no competent leadership, they're desperately behind in weapons tech and basically losing the war. Everyone that was supposed to run White Base gets killed in the initial sortie, and they're stuck in Zeon territory for the vast majority of the series. When they move to replace him when they reach HQ, guess what disaster strikes again and circumstances force him to keep the role. The whole show is about youth being thrust into impossible positions they shouldn't have and somehow making chicken salad out of chicken poo poo (power of the youth and hope for the future yada yada). The Federation is only barely in a position to do anything about it by time the war ends and then promptly the EF splits the crew apart and hides Amuro on a luxury estate until basically Zeta because they don't want to deal with any of the fall out of kids winning the war for them.

But no Bright simply is. A dude nominally wise beyond his years, that sees through the EF bullshit, and you just sorta have to accept that he was the only one with some amount of military training and although he isn't a newtype, does have a keen sense for space combat being a younger guy than most of the older commanders who treat it like it's something it isn't. Bright is just good at his job no matter how hard all the even younger kids make it on him.

Yeah, the default for "Why is X, Y" is "Great, you're the most qualified at this time" Why is Mirai piloting the White Base? Well she's got time on space gliders? That's kinda like a warship if you squint and turn your head, so congrats you're the helmswoman! Why is Amuro in the Gundam? Because he moved it and he's not dead and everyone who was training to do it is dead now, so congrats kid."

You have to also consider that between the White Base leaving Side 7 and them getting attack on earth, I don't think Amuro slept a single hour. As he directly makes reference to Fraw that he CAN'T sleep because he's so burnt out. It's been attack after attack, with the time between attacks being prepping for the next attack.

And yeah the Federation is short staffed, even the ostensible 'good' Federation officers like Revil and Tienem are locked in the ground war/space war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

When they move to replace [Bright] when they reach HQ, guess what disaster strikes again and circumstances force him to keep the role.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think in one if the episodes following Luna II they were trying to get the bridge crew of the White Base replaced with a qualified CO, but Char attacked them before the crew could transfer forcing Bright to remain in command and try to get out of the combat zone.

I don't recall the Federation trying to replace Bright and/or the rest of the crew of the White Base at any point, after they leave Luna II or at Jaburo. There is a Federation officer, Lt. Reed, who sets out with the White Base from Luna II aboard a Salamis and is then forced to board the White Base after the Salamis is downed and the transport he tries to take to Earth is too damaged for re-entry, and while there Reed tries to second guess or over-ride Bright on a few occasions, but I don't recall any attempt to replace Bright or the crew. I also wouldn't call Bright "wise beyond his years", because he was quite head-strong and made several mistakes during 0079 due to his inexperience and he's not much better 7 years later during Zeta frankly. It's only during ZZ that he starts to realize that physical violence isn't a good way to motivate people, for one thing.