Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm a stretch goal for this. I'll be writing a setting based on my homeland of North East England during the miners strikes and thatcherism, but also there's a plague and the city has been quarantined. You will be able to kick an England First skinhead down the steps of a block of council flats and hack vampire thatcher using your BBC micro you stole from the school's computer lab.

Ahh, the childhood I imagined having at the time. So in for this.

Edit for the new page: talking about this right here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikthebearik/brinkwood-the-blood-of-tyrants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That drat lei making game kept eating at me, and I had to go and open my big mouth.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm a stretch goal for this. I'll be writing a setting based on my homeland of North East England during the miners strikes and thatcherism, but also there's a plague and the city has been quarantined. You will be able to kick an England First skinhead down the steps of a block of council flats and hack vampire thatcher using your BBC micro you stole from the school's computer lab.

godDAMN

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

El Fideo posted:

That drat lei making game kept eating at me, and I had to go and open my big mouth.

Their response is nice and well-meaning, but still misses the point.

And some of their reasoning is just lousy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They've engaged local businesses on best practice, playtested to ensure a wide understanding of the rules, and explained their position as a light game?
That all seems pretty reasonable for the level of engagement they're aiming for?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

"we know it's wrong but we put it in because people like Moana" is pretty loving lame, actually. And what board game have you played where don't just refer to the resource cubes by their colors after a while? But if they were referred to that way in the manual, you'd probably think they were pretty lazy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The fishhook thing is dumb, but "we playtested this with proper flower names and people just called them the colors, so we removed the extra name layer" seems fine? Not maximally authentic, but a reasonable concession to how people actually talk.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Please refer to the second half of my post.

There are sixteen character cards in this game. There are two human beings I can confidently say look Polynesian, and one of them is wearing a grass skirt and carrying a carved wooden spear.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dwarf74 posted:

Good on them for fulfilling that promise.

But man, a $125 minimum buy-in is more than I'm up for.

Same. I played whitebox D&D when these modules were on store shelves. Softcover at $60-65 ? Sold ! $125 minimum? Sorry.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

$125 and "you can't fit this book anywhere" dimensions. I have the Goodman edition of Metamorphosis Alpha (purchased on very deep clearance from an FLGS) with the same form factor, and it just lives sadly on top of the bookcase, because I have no bookshelves where it'd fit vertically.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Welp, I was already sold but that's more sold.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Antivehicular posted:

$125 and "you can't fit this book anywhere" dimensions. I have the Goodman edition of Metamorphosis Alpha (purchased on very deep clearance from an FLGS) with the same form factor, and it just lives sadly on top of the bookcase, because I have no bookshelves where it'd fit vertically.

Man, this is my complaint as well. I am actually really interested in Jaquays' modules and like to support GG kickstarters, but wtf am I supposed to do with this:

Hopefully they release it on PDF or in a smaller run later.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

So for the first time I'm involved in a KS: the upcoming Alchemy anthology of incursions for Trophy Dark! Trophy's a system for heavily-themed dark fantasy eco-gothic dungeoncrawls/treasure-hunts that takes elements from Cthulhu Dark and Blades in the Dark, and Trophy Dark is the original one-shot version where your characters will probably betray each other and/or get maimed or killed or suffer a fate worse than death.

Cold Hearth Collective is a group of Trophy writers working on the official release who've decided to get together as a loose group to collectively sell stuff, and they're putting together an anthology of Trophy Dark incursions with some guest contributors, including me! All the entries are themed around the idea of alchemy in some way—in my case, well, see below.

The KS opens tomorrow (give or take for timezones), and you'll be able to see more details on each incursion then, but for now, here's the bare bones of mine:

quote:

BLACK STAR BOLT

DEATH RACE ON DEAD PLANET UNDER FURIOUS STAR SPEWING DARKNESS. ORGY OF VEHICULAR VIOLENCE. WHAT GORGEOUS ALCHEMY MAKES FIRE AND LIGHTNING OF CRUDE AND SAINTS AND HEROES OF KILLERS? DON'T ANSWER THAT LET'S DIE NOW! TOTAL CATASTROPHONY!

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1307734909398773764
The stuff I've already released for Trophy is The Paperflesh Advent, an incursion of desperate alchemists seeking immortality through industrial production of mellified man, and NO FEAR, a trifold pamphlet featuring a body-hunt expedition up the side of an undiscovered mountain. My entry for the anthology is gonna be, uh, a little different.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had to look up 'mellified man'.

Wow, and I thought mumia was a thing.

And I don't think that Judges' Guild book would fit on any of my shelves horizontally.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A book that doesn't fit through doorways if turned wrong.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
According to the d&d wheelchair discourse, od&d/OSR dungeon doors default to 8' wide so this book should fit.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Bieeanshee posted:

I had to look up 'mellified man'.

Wow, and I thought mumia was a thing.

And I don't think that Judges' Guild book would fit on any of my shelves horizontally.
Well, mummia (and the mummy brown paint) were real—mellified man is apocryphal. It's very real in the incursion, though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

d&d wheelchair discourse

do i want to know what this is?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Impermanent posted:

do i want to know what this is?

Some people got very mad that a person in a wheelchair wrote rules for having an adventure wheelchair for characters in 5e.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bruxism posted:

Man, this is my complaint as well. I am actually really interested in Jaquays' modules and like to support GG kickstarters, but wtf am I supposed to do with this:

This looks like a prop I would peer at my players over as a bit. I love it.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Alchemy is live!

Campaign goal is $12,250 with stretch goals at $16k, $20k, $25k, and $30k (sensible ones, though, half pay bonuses and half fancy add-ons to the hardcopies). There's an early bird tier, day 1, physical + pdf for $35, called The Tome of Quicksilver. Regular tiers are $25 pdf ($10 hardship) and $40 physical + pdf, and special options further up. Here's the full lineup, which I'm just gonna copy-paste from the page...

quote:

AL-IKSIR by Nicholas Masyk - Every 1,001 nights, the decaying lich-lords of the blighted city of Shi'Hadith descend from their hideous ziggurats to claim the AL-IKSIR, a bubbling cauldron of distilled souls brewed by faceless servitors in the festering heart of the ancient city. Only through the AL-IKSIR can they maintain their blighted un-life for a further 1,001 nights. Only through grudging cooperation can they slither beneath the watchful eyes of those citizen-sorcerers who seek to claim lichdom for themselves. But there is scarcely enough AL-IKSIR to sustain even a single lich, and so only the most cunning might attain the ultimate goal of immortal life...

BLACK STAR BOLT by Speak the Sky - DEATH RACE ON A DEAD PLANET UNDER FURIOUS STAR SPEWING DARKNESS. ORGY OF VEHICULAR VIOLENCE. WHAT GORGEOUS ALCHEMY MAKES FIRE AND LIGHTNING OF CRUDE AND SAINTS AND HEROES OF KILLERS? DON'T ANSWER THAT LET'S DIE NOW! TOTAL CATASTROPHONY!

City of Gold by Amalie McKee - People you thought lost to the desert have been returning to your town of ne'er-do-wells with ears of gold and stories of angels. If you can retrace their steps and meet these angels yourself, you could return to society a wealthy hero, though you might sacrifice your humanity along the way.

DIE, GRAVE ROBBER, DIE! by Michael Van Vleet - Resurrectionists have wrenched a corpse from out of the sacred soil where it was to find eternal rest. Crawl through rat-filled tunnels, wander among horrifying medical exhibits and storm the Flayed House of Dr. Galfani to get a mourning family their beloved relation back!

Lovelorn Lamentations by Pam Punzalan - The misery, rage, and mourning over love unrequited transformed a once cursed Princess into a feathered Lady of Tears. They say she was killed by the other gods already, and that the empty halls of her palatial home hold wonders that surpass human comprehension. Yet, all who have entered the place don't emerge the same, if they even emerge at all.

Susurrae by Madeleine Ember - Peel back the layers of self along this strange journey into the ruined St. Rheis Monastery, below it to the crypt-rot catacombs, and finally to the caverns of sight beyond seeing. What the treasure-hunters seek is truth - answers to the questions that will otherwise destroy them. Learning the truth can be dangerous.

The Dark Ascent by Natalie Ash - One day a year, the entrance to Mount Rames and the Path of Ascent is open. Within its halls, you and your fellow aspirants can gain ultimate power! But at what price?

The Queen of Swords, A Crown of Blades by Jamila R. Nedjadi - After assassinating the queen, you are on the run bearing secrets and gold - can you survive the vengeful spirit that stalks you?

Renewal by Gabriel Robinson - Deep in a mist-shrouded forest, secret medicines of the Ancients promise miraculous powers to worthy aspirants—or so the enigmatic Guide tells you. Leave the trappings of your worldly life behind, embrace your true calling and be reborn...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Noticed today that Kickstarter now directly supports addons and lets you select them when pledging if they've been set up by the project creator. That's kind of a big deal, IMO. Doesn't obsolete pledge managers unless there's been a bunch of back-end changes I'm not privy to as a non-creator, but might mean fewer people use them. And certainly could make having add-on funds as part of your KS pledge simpler for folks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bruxism posted:

I could see a book this honking big being useful if it was full of fold out dungeon maps. Otherwise what are you doing with it, setting it up on a lectern with a dedicated lamp and one of those big wooden page turning sticks?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

UnCO3 posted:

Alchemy is live!

Campaign goal is $12,250 with stretch goals at $16k, $20k, $25k, and $30k (sensible ones, though, half pay bonuses and half fancy add-ons to the hardcopies). There's an early bird tier, day 1, physical + pdf for $35, called The Tome of Quicksilver. Regular tiers are $25 pdf ($10 hardship) and $40 physical + pdf, and special options further up. Here's the full lineup, which I'm just gonna copy-paste from the page...

I quite honestly have no idea what this is a kickstarter for. I looked at the page and it didn't help.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I quite honestly have no idea what this is a kickstarter for. I looked at the page and it didn't help.
Trophy Dark is a collaborative storytelling game

Each ... scenario

(it's adventures for a rules-light rpg, it's not super clear if you haven't heard of it though)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Trophy Dark is a collaborative storytelling game

Each ... scenario

(it's adventures for a rules-light rpg, it's not super clear if you haven't heard of it though)
ah ok

yeah it makes more sense now. i have honestly never heard of trophy dark.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Hasbro is crowdfunding Heroquest.

I mean, yeah, they've done it before and this isn't new, but I don't understand why they don't just call it a preorder. I have to assume that the stretch goal model is too lucrative to give up.

I will also be amused to see the reaction now that they cut the GW elements out completely, even if it was predicted by the sharper elements of the fandom.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

EverettLO posted:

Hasbro is crowdfunding Heroquest.

I mean, yeah, they've done it before and this isn't new, but I don't understand why they don't just call it a preorder. I have to assume that the stretch goal model is too lucrative to give up.

I will also be amused to see the reaction now that they cut the GW elements out completely, even if it was predicted by the sharper elements of the fandom.
I have never played HeroQuest, but I have heard a lot about it.

What's the gameplay like? Would it be worthwhile if my group is still neck-deep in Gloomhaven?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's raw nostalgia from my youth but I don't know if I'll be able to resist getting this new version. I don't even remember if the gameplay is actually good, but do I remember loving loving it when I was 12 or 13.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

dwarf74 posted:

What's the gameplay like? Would it be worthwhile if my group is still neck-deep in Gloomhaven?

It's really, really 90s design. Like, much simpler than Zombiecide. You roll to move, open a door, attack, check for traps. It's extremely bare bones.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

I'm totally unfamiliar with Gloomhaven, but I hear it's pretty complex and engaging. HeroQuest is one of the only things I have real nostalgia for and I'm sorely tempted by this dumb bullshit, but if pressed I would have to describe the gameplay as "very simplistic." You roll some regular D6s to move that many spaces, and when you find monsters you roll a few special dice to generate damage or defense values. Most player stuff just adds more dice to you, most DM stuff causes more monsters to come out or boosts monsters already on the board. The map booklet and room props are neat. There's hardly any setup required, so that's nice.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 22, 2020

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

It's roll to move.

You roll dice to attack, and they roll dice to defend. Swords - shields = damage done.

Gear is just upgrades to the number of dice you roll, or one off potions that heal you or whatever.

Spells are randomly drawn from a deck, and they each get one use. They're basically single attacks that just hit, for the most part.

One person has to be the 'dm' to run things, there isn't any AI.

It was great for kids in the late 80's, but I highly doubt it will hold up for adults now. From what they've shown, it doesn't seem to have any updates or improvements.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
From what I've been told it's minor rules tweaks and streamlining/errata but essentially it should be compatible with the old versions

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thanks, folks. Yeah, roll-and-move has zero interest for me, and while it might be fun with my kids, it's a whole lot of money for that. I have Frosthaven and Dice Throne Adventures coming, so I think I will be set. I appreciate the honest reviews.

The furniture is swell, but I have been 3-D printing my own dungeon furniture (and who knows when I'll be able to sit down in person to play board games regularly again).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Hasbro HeroQuest has nothing to do with Glorantha Heroquest, right?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Ravendas posted:

It's roll to move.

You roll dice to attack, and they roll dice to defend. Swords - shields = damage done.

Gear is just upgrades to the number of dice you roll, or one off potions that heal you or whatever.

Spells are randomly drawn from a deck, and they each get one use. They're basically single attacks that just hit, for the most part.

One person has to be the 'dm' to run things, there isn't any AI.

It was great for kids in the late 80's, but I highly doubt it will hold up for adults now. From what they've shown, it doesn't seem to have any updates or improvements.

Yeah, for adults, it's probably best for an rpg-lite beer-and-pretzels sort of thing. LoadingReadyRun has played it a few times on stream, and while I could tell it wasn't mechanically amazing and that there were likely much better designed board games, they seemed to still have a lot of fun with it. It's still primarily a nostalgia project + solid minis haul for a new version.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Heroquest is basically D&D, But Like You Saw It in The Movies, Like That Scene From E.T. The props are quite pretty, especially if you make an effort to paint them, but gameplay is puddle-shallow.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Not in the least.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Other than being why they eventually renamed it, no.

In other news
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seriouspoulp/the-7th-citadel-explore-build-you-are-the-hero/

The followup to 7th Continent, using many of the same systems but with a new theme (post-apocalyptic fantasy) and emphases (building a Citadel and your character, sending emissaries to explore, dialogue; less of a focus on survival and die-try-again gameplay). What I've played of 7th Continent is really cool, and everything they're adding sounds great, while the stuff they're moving away from was generally what turned people off 7th Continent for those who didn't love it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

7th Citadel KS posted:

In this post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy world, you play as a “slave-gardener” who escapes from the Citadel of Necrodruid
Ah gently caress, that's it, I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Everything I know about Heroquest came from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A