Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

I mean, I think people estimated Doom 5 sold like 5 million copies which is really good. Its not Skyrim or Minecraft, but its still really really good.

That's more than what I thought. Any source? I only see SuperData mentions and they are totally not to be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I forget, who kept Marathon in the divorce? Could we get that crossover no one asked for?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

That's more than what I thought. Any source? I only see SuperData mentions and they are totally not to be trusted.

Hrm, looks like its all SuperData's garbage rear end numbers that are 100% worthless.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
It's another prequel, I don't think Sam's had time to get Jacked™ yet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In further shooty shooty bang bang prototype news;

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1308257315615772673

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The Cart Is Not (long) Enough

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Keiya posted:

I forget, who kept Marathon in the divorce? Could we get that crossover no one asked for?

Microsoft never had any claim on Marathon afaik. the release of the trilogy as freeware happened while Bungie was still under MS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

Marathon remains Bungie's baby, though the odds of anything ever happening with it again beyond the occasional approval given to a fan-made mobile port are so low, not even Durandal could calculate them.

Weird Sandwich posted:

The Cart Is Not (long) Enough
N64 dev cartridges are all funny-lookin' tallboys.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Serious Sam...story trailer?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What’s the pun in planet badass and why does it only work in English???

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

Let's just say that the image of a defective posterior is not necessarily evocative of combat strength in other languages.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am hyped for Serious Sam 4: Planet Disobedient Donkey

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Just popping in to say that we've uploaded a new mod to the modern Doom 1 and Doom 2 ports, REKKR is now available for PC/console/mobile, which if you've never played before is a really fantastic TC.

Also, we've released the 21:9 versions of the official widescreen art to be used in mods and source ports: https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/3cq6YIMrlRw6Yqt9uiDGFb/expanded-widescreen-art-from-doom-and-doom-ii

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yooooo that whips rear end

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

In Chinese, "Bad rear end" translates to "坏蛋" or "Huaidan", which roughly means "Bad Fart Hole"
In German, "Bad rear end" translates to "knallhart", which literally means "Bang Hard"
In Pashto, "Bad rear end" translates to "بدس" which is actually just "bad rear end" transliterated, but it also sounds like "tasty man"

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 22, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
sponge can you confirm or deny that doom 2 will be built into the next version of windows

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the subject of REKKR, shrine 2 is now available today

on steam as well if you want that: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1417010/Shrine_II/

i've yet to play the first but i just might today

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress yes Rekkr. Please keep uploading these in the dark times of my lack of a pc soul

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ETPC posted:

sponge can you confirm or deny that windows will be built into the next version of doom 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In Chinese, "Bad rear end" translates to "坏蛋" or "Huaidan", which roughly means "Bad Fart Hole"
In German, "Bad rear end" translates to "knallhart", which literally means "Bang Hard"
In Pashto, "Bad rear end" translates to "بدس" which is actually just "bad rear end" transliterated, but it also sounds like "tasty man"

Literal translations are all hilarious and if it were my decision I'd just run with them, but I'm pretty sure most languages have a word for "totally awesome person who will beat you down" like Japan has 鉄人 which is literally "iron man" but also means badass.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
bring back the windows phone except it's the doom phone

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
mods pleeeeaase change my name to Bad Fart Hole

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

spongeh posted:

Just popping in to say that we've uploaded a new mod to the modern Doom 1 and Doom 2 ports, REKKR is now available for PC/console/mobile, which if you've never played before is a really fantastic TC.
Good stuff!

Out of curiosity though, is there any particular reason for add-ons being restricted to one of DOOM or DOOM II or available to both? At first it seemed like availability in both wasn't going to be the norm but the past few add-ons have been.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bad Fart Hole, Bang Hard, and Tasty Man are my favorite bosses in a Suda51 game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Bad Fart Hole, Bang Hard, and Tasty Man are my favorite bosses in a Suda51 game.

I just imagined the No More Heroes 1 boss announcement voice saying "Bad Fart Hole" and I can't stop laughing.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Good stuff!

Out of curiosity though, is there any particular reason for add-ons being restricted to one of DOOM or DOOM II or available to both? At first it seemed like availability in both wasn't going to be the norm but the past few add-ons have been.

It usually comes down to weird Doom engine errata caused by vanilla quirks, or quirks introduced from our source port, which has lineage from the Doom 3 Xbox port.

Normally I try to turn the mods into an IWAD so they run on either game, but until this update, unknown IWADs would be run as Doom 2 (now it looks for E1M1 or MAP01 lumps to determine 1 or 2). This means if a mod used 666/667 line specials on ExM8 maps (Deathless, NEIS) it used to break when converted into an IWAD. SIGIL and NRFTL were before we thought at the time to make them an IWAD. It also helped that REKKR is already an IWAD, and BTSX basically had all the sprites anyway because of the recoloring.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spongeh posted:

Also, we've released the 21:9 versions of the official widescreen art to be used in mods and source ports: https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/3cq6YIMrlRw6Yqt9uiDGFb/expanded-widescreen-art-from-doom-and-doom-ii

Hell yeah. I love being able to play all these excellent wads on Switch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

on the subject of REKKR, shrine 2 is now available today

on steam as well if you want that: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1417010/Shrine_II/

i've yet to play the first but i just might today

Ah, I was a little unsure whether the Steam release would be a paid version of the mod or not. Cool to see tho!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

spongeh posted:

Normally I try to turn the mods into an IWAD so they run on either game, but until this update, unknown IWADs would be run as Doom 2 (now it looks for E1M1 or MAP01 lumps to determine 1 or 2).
That's interesting. Again curious--if you can answer--do you use internal tools for WAD management or do you make use of community tools? It's fascinating to think that with DOOM's 20 year history of community-maintained source ports that the proprietary version has been maintained in parallel for much of the same period of time. Wondering if that's also the case with development tools.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

spongeh posted:

Thanks so much for this. Have been playing REKKR this evening and it feels so surreal to own a games console where I can switch between Super Mario 64 and a Doom custom mod at will.

You guys have done an amazing job with this port, but could I ask for one more (probably not) little thing? Can we get some more save slots? With all the mods on there now, it’s hard to only have five slots!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

spongeh posted:

This is really neat, also now that Total Conversions are a possibility, should totally add Pirate Doom to the roster

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

This is really neat, also now that Total Conversions are a possibility, should totally add Pirate Doom to the roster

Nah, not possible. Legally there would be too many resources to replace, since it cribs from the Monkey Island series, Outlaws, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Rayman, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie, Super Mario World, Warcraft... Technically it's a ZDoom TC, so it uses features far beyond the capabilities of the official port.

Since only DEHACKED-based TCs are available, I think Hacx is the only other existing choice. Batman Doom, Aliens TC, and the other "franchise TCs", no matter how good they were, present a legal problem what with being unlicensed fanworks. Harmony could be a possibility -- while it requires ZDoom, it's DeHackEd-based and the major reason why it required ZDoom was because it uses high-res sprites and needed a "scale" property. This is relatively trivial to add to a port -- after all, the engine can already scale sprites (to account for distance) so all that's needed is plug in one extra multiplier in the sprite scaling function. Then replace the soundtrack with Jimmy's Harmony MIDI pack, and convert the MAPINFO format.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cat Mattress posted:

Nah, not possible. Legally there would be too many resources to replace, since it cribs from the Monkey Island series, Outlaws, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Rayman, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie, Super Mario World, Warcraft... Technically it's a ZDoom TC, so it uses features far beyond the capabilities of the official port.

Since only DEHACKED-based TCs are available, I think Hacx is the only other existing choice. Batman Doom, Aliens TC, and the other "franchise TCs", no matter how good they were, present a legal problem what with being unlicensed fanworks. Harmony could be a possibility -- while it requires ZDoom, it's DeHackEd-based and the major reason why it required ZDoom was because it uses high-res sprites and needed a "scale" property. This is relatively trivial to add to a port -- after all, the engine can already scale sprites (to account for distance) so all that's needed is plug in one extra multiplier in the sprite scaling function. Then replace the soundtrack with Jimmy's Harmony MIDI pack, and convert the MAPINFO format.

Didn't realize it stole that much stuff

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

Didn't realize it stole that much stuff

It didn't "steal stuff", it plundered booty.

But seriously there's a "credits.txt" file in it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s so cool to get such converted mods now. I hope they keep coming for a long time.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Change the name back to "Planet tasty man" you cowards!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sam am tasty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sam "Defective Poopchute" Serious

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's interesting. Again curious--if you can answer--do you use internal tools for WAD management or do you make use of community tools? It's fascinating to think that with DOOM's 20 year history of community-maintained source ports that the proprietary version has been maintained in parallel for much of the same period of time. Wondering if that's also the case with development tools.

Hah no, I definitely use SLADE and Doom Builder X. We have to use our source port since we can't ship GPL code on consoles and (now) iOS, which is the main reason why we can't just adopt something like Crispy Doom. I don't think any community ports support split screen, too. A version of our port (pre 60FPS, widescreen, and DEH support) is available in D3 BFG source for the curious.

Cat Machine posted:

Thanks so much for this. Have been playing REKKR this evening and it feels so surreal to own a games console where I can switch between Super Mario 64 and a Doom custom mod at will.

You guys have done an amazing job with this port, but could I ask for one more (probably not) little thing? Can we get some more save slots? With all the mods on there now, it’s hard to only have five slots!

I've been collecting feedback but can't talk about future stuff or guarantee anything. I'm happy to hear the updates have been received well, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spongeh posted:

I've been collecting feedback but can't talk about future stuff or guarantee anything. I'm happy to hear the updates have been received well, though!

You guys are doing amazing work. I’ve never played so much Doom in my life. Looking forward to what’s next.