Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

The Dog becoming a cube and rolling away is still a great sight gag.

https://i.imgur.com/ifQGDYc.mp4

I want a Totally Ordinary Dog, damnit. :colbert:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe I'm just misremembering things then. All's I know for certain was that JJ's all over the bonus features for Trek 09 going "What I really wanted to make was a Star Wars movie," and because 09 looks, feels, and sounds more like a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie, well, if it walks like a duck... I dunno. But you're right, that sentiment has became a sort widely accepted semi-true cultural fiction.
A real-life case of Kirk Drift, ironically.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

A real-life case of Kirk Drift, ironically.

It's like the Mandela Effect, but for nerds.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'Romulans go back in time to kill Spock' was the rumoured plot of a Star Trek film in development long before 09 started to shape up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Johnson ended up causing the most problem in the overall arc, really - he had a vision for his film and executed it greatly, but at the cost that it was absolutely not what the second of three parts should be. The position of the plot and setup at the end of TLJ was something where honestly I think the best move would've been to declare it a quadrilogy, there's no way to satisfactorily wrap things up from there in one movie.

I guess I can kinda understand that, I’m still just bitter at how every single bit of character development setup and left for expansion at the end of TLJ was completely cast aside in TROS. Poe maturing and taking more of a leadership role in the Resistance ala Leia? Nope, now he’s just Han 2.0. Finn finding a greater cause worth fighting for? Nope, now he’s just the comic relief sidekick again. Rey accepting that her past doesn’t determine her future? Nope, now she’s got an evil grandpa! Kylo, finally fully giving in to tragic evil and ultimate power after being rejected and abandoned? Nope, now he’s got two new bosses in the first five minutes and his entire characterization is basically back to TFA square 1.

And that’s without even getting into how JJ and Terrio completely ignored the existence of a major character (who also could have played a huge role in actually giving Finn something to do!) in favor of *checks notes* two lines of dialogue from Dominique Monaghan. Or how they couldn’t even be bothered to give Rey a new saber until the last 60 seconds of the trilogy despite Johnson literally handing them an excuse to do so at the end of TLJ. Nope, just slap some tape on the Luke saber and call it a day! Oh, and include some nasty meta poo poo about Rey somehow not feeling worthy to use it just for good measure.

gently caress TROS, goddamn. What a worthless pile of poo poo slap in the face to just about every sect of Star Wars fandom. It’s almost impressive in how borderline insulting it is.

Astroman posted:

Hypothesis: JJ is the modern Gene Roddenberry.

Nah. For better or worse, JJ lacks all of Gene’s weird sex poo poo that snuck into his later stuff and all of his dated 80’s New Age humanism. JJ is the poor man’s Spielberg, mostly because that’s who he explicitly tries to emulate. And he’s not that far off, it’s just that Spielberg almost always collaborates with much better writers than JJ.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey Spock I want you to meet my friend Sckop, from the planet Hephaestus

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The main problem with JJ is that studio executives seem way too willing to believe that he has a really good plan for all the stuff he's setting up. Someone needs to be willing to say "hey man either put up or shut up because it'd really be nice to know where this is going before we film it"

And it's weird because even by his own admission he seems to not really bother having a plan. So I'm not sure why it's so hard for someone else to steer it in the right direction.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh this is amazing. Someone on FB is selling this for $450. Apparently it’s super rare, especially in this condition. I wasn’t even aware of its existence, but it’s kind of a no-brainer considering the Defiant’s shape. I love the random pictures on the right of the box’s back. Car! Woman in the sea! And here’s you sitting at your desk, nerd.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Combo that with a Ent-D that plays records and a Voyager Ipod and I'm on board.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Mike from RLM said in his YouTube ST09 review that JJ would be more suited to directing Star Wars. Nerds loved this argument and when it ended up happening they created a head canon around it all.

I wonder if that's how religion is made...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

thotsky posted:

Mike from RLM said in his YouTube ST09 review that JJ would be more suited to directing Star Wars. Nerds loved this argument and when it ended up happening they created a head canon around it all.

I wonder if that's how religion is made...

Why would you use this as the basis of your weird judgement and not the statement JJ himself made?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TOS- That Which Survives- A mostly forgettable episode. It does have some actual tension with Scotty having to try and stop the ship from blowing up when the matter/antimatter regulation gets fused. The main problem here is that the primary threat of the episode is a woman touching people on the shoulder. I get that they explain that she is part of an automatic defense system and she is disrupting people’s cells when she makes contact with them, but it’s extremely goofy. The best parts of the episode are where she is not on screen and the action is back on the ship. We get an info dump about what happened to the people who built the outpost on the planet but it’s right before the credits, and it would have been nice if they spent more time talking about them. Instead we get about 5-6 scenes of Kirk/McCoy/Sulu doing ‘keep-away’ to prevent being touched by the woman.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 - The Passenger: A dying bad guy does a not-Vulcan katra thing on Bashir and makes him continue his evil scheme. I knew I remembered hearing something about his original performance being so bad/weird that they overdubbed it; wasn't sure if it was this episode or the one with Dax's personalities. To their credit, I still couldn't tell there was dubbing even though I looked for it, and I'm usually pretty good at that. The line reads were still pretty laughable though. Also you can totally tell it's Bashir in a scene where he's still supposed to be hiding in the shadows: it sounds like him, it's obviously not the woman (the other most likely suspect), and you even actually briefly see him.
It's still a pretty enjoyable episode though. Season 1 DS9 is basically right around season 6-7 TNG quality. It's not amazing, but it's really pretty good. I would even say this same plot would probably have been a lot more boring on TNG.

Up next: Allamaraine!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

socialsecurity posted:

Why would you use this as the basis of your weird judgement and not the statement JJ himself made?

Goons get weird about RLM. Everything they don’t like is their fault.

I also don’t think JJs movies make sense as a Star Wars thing. They are paced more like a Star Wars movie buy that is like it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goons get weird about RLM. Everything they don’t like is their fault.

I also don’t think JJs movies make sense as a Star Wars thing. They are paced more like a Star Wars movie buy that is like it

Yeah, JJ's point was that he liked the pace of the Star Wars films more than that of the Star Trek films and wanted to bring a bit of that to Star Trek, which was absolutely a right call to make a film that would make money in 2009.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It's more than pacing, Star Trek '09 is mostly just all the same story beats as Star Wars 1.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 22, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I absolutely remember JJ on the ST09 blu ray saying he wanted to make star wars and liked it more than Star Trek

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh this is amazing. Someone on FB is selling this for $450. Apparently it’s super rare, especially in this condition. I wasn’t even aware of its existence, but it’s kind of a no-brainer considering the Defiant’s shape. I love the random pictures on the right of the box’s back. Car! Woman in the sea! And here’s you sitting at your desk, nerd.

This was offered as part of a promo with the DS9 S6 / Voyager S4 VHS releases in the UK - if you got all 26 tapes (so costing about £260 in 1998) then you could send the coupons within and get a Defiant discman (more than likely for a nominal charge).

I'm genuinely curious how many people sent off for this, and if they had either a huge number of unclaimed CD players or insufficient stock?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Zaroff posted:

This was offered as part of a promo with the DS9 S6 / Voyager S4 VHS releases in the UK - if you got all 26 tapes (so costing about £260 in 1998) then you could send the coupons within and get a Defiant discman (more than likely for a nominal charge).

I'm genuinely curious how many people sent off for this, and if they had either a huge number of unclaimed CD players or insufficient stock?

I hope they got turned into dental equipment like the Atari Jaguar

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Vaguely Star Trek related--and Star Wars related too!--but Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamill did a bunch of Uber Eats commercials together, and while Uber is a massive abusive, predatory piece of poo poo company that you shouldn't give money, these ads are loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtkuAVLdtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzLXZtu_Xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2cSBtSdcE0

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

There is no way on God's green Earth that Mission: Impossible III is worse than M:I 2, the movie whose director had to be fired out of the editing room because his cut was incomprehensible.

It's easily the dumbest of a set of movies that are pretty dumb. Don't get into espionage unless you can stand getting betrayed and disavowed on literally every mission.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

There is no way on God's green Earth that Mission: Impossible III is worse than M:I 2, the movie whose director had to be fired out of the editing room because his cut was incomprehensible.

Mission: Impossible 2 was one of those movies where I saw through the whole thing exactly once in a theater and I could not remember a drat thing about what happened in it aside from that stupid motorcycle joust climax that was in the trailer for it. I wanted to say that there was a reason why the MI film franchise went stone cold dead for like a decade before JJ fished it out of the water... but actually that just seems to be the way the franchise goes where there's like 5-6 years of dead air between films on average, so I guess it didn't really dent things as much as I thought it did. Huh.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MI3 was the one where it came out that Tom Cruise hated psychiatry and antidepressants, and since then they've kept a lid on his personal feelings about anything even as he's apparently become the leader of scientology, or close to it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

You should track down Spock vs Q, and Spock vs Q: The Sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao

I listened to both of them years ago and they're funny as poo poo.

Listened to both of these while unpacking today and they indeed totally own

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
man a whole lot of problems coulda been prevented across tng if picard said "warp 9" every time he needed to be somewhere instead of like, warp 4 or 5 or whatever

help our ship is blowing up in five minutes

ensign, warp...5

i like that in ds9 they just say "maximum warp" like 60% of the time. youre in space theres no highway you can go literally as fast as youre capable

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Sir, the we’re about to experience a warp core breach!”

“Ensign, warp 9!”

“What”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HD DAD posted:

“Sir, the we’re about to experience a warp core breach!”

“Ensign, warp 9!”

“What”

*ship pieces end up in 48 different planetary systems*

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Verviticus posted:

man a whole lot of problems coulda been prevented across tng if picard said "warp 9" every time he needed to be somewhere instead of like, warp 4 or 5 or whatever

ensign, warp...5

i like that in ds9 they just say "maximum warp" like 60% of the time. youre in space theres no highway you can go literally as fast as youre capable

I assume you're talking about before the awkwardly done climate change episode where they imposed a warp speed limit. I did admire how they actually did a pretty good job sticking to it afterward.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Sir Lemming posted:

The main problem with JJ is that studio executives seem way too willing to believe that he has a really good plan for all the stuff he's setting up. Someone needs to be willing to say "hey man either put up or shut up because it'd really be nice to know where this is going before we film it"

And it's weird because even by his own admission he seems to not really bother having a plan. So I'm not sure why it's so hard for someone else to steer it in the right direction.

So you're saying modern Star Wars is like Moffat era Doctor Who? Because that would explain why all the hardcore fans hate it and all the characters and plots and settings and stories and yet continue to watch every episode movie religiously

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s not entirely fair as Abrams directed two of the three movies and it’s clear the second movie wanted to do its own thing.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Astroman posted:

Nah, he's definitely Irwin Allen.

But a reverse version where stuff like Fringe got better with less JJ/Orci/Kurtzman influence through time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Verviticus posted:

ensign, warp...5

In TNG there was one episode where it turns out that overuse of a warp drive can permanently open a hole in spacetime and for an episode or two after they mention it then never again.

Space Climate Change.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Astroman posted:

I dunno, it seems to me like Gene Roddenberry genuinely had some weird ideas rattling around in his head that for whatever reason he wanted to get out there, whereas JJ Abrams seems pretty satisfied with just kinda putting a couple spins on a thing and calling it a day, and not that bothered about expressing something.

I bet even if he takes a bunch of drugs in his old age, he'd still be happy to not stick weird crazy ideas into everything he does and still try playing the whole mystery box trick.

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like however pitching to executives works, they probably don't worry much about the end as much as they do the beginning.

I don't even know if executives particularly see JJ Abrams not sticking the landing as much of a problem, because whatever pitches well probably also makes for good enough trailers to still count as successful. If they wanted to deal with weird creatives who would take things in a weird new direction instead of rehashing old elements, they wouldn't be pouring money into old franchises in the first place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Lemming posted:

I assume you're talking about before the awkwardly done climate change episode where they imposed a warp speed limit. I did admire how they actually did a pretty good job sticking to it afterward.

That's the beauty of saying "Maximum warp" it could be maximum you are capable of, it could be maximum legal! Up to interpretation

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

It made sense from a writing perspective. This way, if you saw the climate change episode, it makes sense you're going warp 5 all the time and there's actual dramatic tension for going past that.

If only speeding in real life was that exciting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's the beauty of saying "Maximum warp" it could be maximum you are capable of, it could be maximum legal! Up to interpretation

Honestly instead of being all 'warp 8' or 'warp 6' all the time they should've just been like 'cruising speed' and 'maximum warp' and 'flank speed' and stuff.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
"Maximum warp" really does meant at least three different things based on the way Trek measures speeds.

It's really closer to saying "best possible speed" and leaving it to the context of the situation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It means make the ship go so fast you turn into Zefram Cochrane

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was watching a late Season 3 TOS episode the other day and I swear they talk about going at Warp 14 at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Timby posted:

I know y'all aren't talking poo poo about heroic bloodshed action movie LEGEND John Woo!