Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tenik posted:

One of the options for The Halfling's Sting Like A Bee is "You get them to chase you around, and you both leave the scene." Our Halfling player wanted to use this to distract some guards, which feels like the right use of the skill. Later on, they also wanted to use this to distract the Overlord when he was pursuing the Fellowship, forcing the Overlord to leave the scene, which feels like its not quite the way this skill is intended to be used. Would this would be an appropriate time to say that a Threat to the World wouldn't be distracted some silly halfling's games? It felt right in the moment, since the Overlord is more focused on achieving their goals than hurting a member of the Fellowship, but it also felt like I was shutting that player down by not allowing that move to work.

Keep in mind that the Overlord can use Heart of Iron to make the Halfing automatically miss the roll and then Twist the Knife against them. If they don't do that, then the Halfing has to pay a price for taking direct action against a Threat to the World. And if they do that, and succeed, they are now alone with the Overlord after them - so they've put themselves in a really bad spot in exchange for saving the rest of their friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tenik posted:

Hey Gnome. I got the chance to play Fellowship for the first time this weekend, and while I really liked it, I have a couple questions.

As the Overlord, I'm not quite sure how to deal damage in situations that does not involve some sort of physical risk. It's easy to rationalize that someone's Sense is damaged from being enveloped by smoke, but it's more difficult to come up with reasons to deal damage when the Fellowship is in the middle of a long conversation, or if they should have to take damage during a scene that encourages them to apply their Useful tools. Is it alright to not deal damage if a scene is focused more on spending resources?

One of the options for The Halfling's Sting Like A Bee is "You get them to chase you around, and you both leave the scene." Our Halfling player wanted to use this to distract some guards, which feels like the right use of the skill. Later on, they also wanted to use this to distract the Overlord when he was pursuing the Fellowship, forcing the Overlord to leave the scene, which feels like its not quite the way this skill is intended to be used. Would this would be an appropriate time to say that a Threat to the World wouldn't be distracted some silly halfling's games? It felt right in the moment, since the Overlord is more focused on achieving their goals than hurting a member of the Fellowship, but it also felt like I was shutting that player down by not allowing that move to work.

One of our players wanted to use Look Closely to create an advantage to setup another player's Finish Them, but we couldn't decide on what question would be best for that. What would be the best way to make this work? Let the first player spot an opening through one of their questions, then shout it out to guide the second player? Should this type of mechanics focused decision making be discouraged, because it distracts people from roleplaying what their character would do?

Edit: I should add that this was the first time anyone in the group had played a game that was not 5e D&D, so sorry if these are general Apocalypse Engine questions.

To answer your questions in order: Yes, its fine if 'damage' in a scene is using up their resources or putting them in other bad situations. Cuts don't have to hurt, you've got a lot of variety among them.

This is answered by someone else already but you should've had to spend a bond for Heart of Iron to shut down the halfling's silly games. Otherwise, option B, you have them succeed but now the halfling is alone to get destroyed by an angry Overlord one on one.

It's better to be narrative first, usually, but its fine to engage with the mechanics. That's what they are there for. To answer your specific question, "Tell me about ___, what will they do next" is a good one for finding an opening. If you know the Overlord's next move, you can plan around it. "How could it hurt me/help me" would be a good way to get more info on their stats and how to get around them, like knowing the Overlord is a Juggernaut so you shouldn't even try to slow them down with barriers and stuff, they bust right through that, but maybe you could fool them by putting a trap behind a barrier and leading them to bust through it and into the trap. And of course, "What will happen if I ____?" is the safe way to test something out without actually putting yourself in that predicament.

And finally, thank you for playing my game! I hope y'all continue to enjoy it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I had a question about the interaction in mechanics between two Fellowship 2e playbook moves:

From the Harbinger:
and From the Exile:

If you had both of those moves would this mean you could heal one person twice and yourself twice, or can you keep damaging a stat and healing it to heal all the damaged stats on one person, plus an extra initial heal for yourself?

I think you have found an infinite loop, is what you did. So RAW, it would do the second one, and I'd have to say "please do not do that" to your Harbinger.

Heliotrope posted:

Keep in mind that the Overlord can use Heart of Iron to make the Halfing automatically miss the roll and then Twist the Knife against them. If they don't do that, then the Halfing has to pay a price for taking direct action against a Threat to the World. And if they do that, and succeed, they are now alone with the Overlord after them - so they've put themselves in a really bad spot in exchange for saving the rest of their friends.

I constantly forget about Heart of Iron in my own games and it makes my Overlords feel weak until I remember it. It is a very important rule for helping the Overlord just shut down shenanigans that are very effective against everything else.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gnome7 posted:

I think you have found an infinite loop, is what you did. So RAW, it would do the second one, and I'd have to say "please do not do that" to your Harbinger.

There's no Harbinger in our game, but any playbook that can nab a powerful playbook's moves can take Angel's Touch, too. I was advised I should also warn you that you might be able to do a similar loop with The Enlightened's (Destiny playbook's) move and Love and Peace:

quote:

Transcendence
You have the tags (Area, Healing). When you Use this healing, you take damage. You cannot use this healing on yourself.

We also ran into a rules quirk regarding Constructed NPCs/Companions. They have the By Your Command Stat, which says this:

quote:

Built For This: Constructs have the tags Melee, Armor, and Useful. They can use their Armor or Useful tags by damaging this stat.

But if they have to damage their stat to use Armor, they're not really preventing any damage that would be done that way are they?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Awesome, thank you very much for the replies! It sounds like my group had the right idea for what should be possible with the game's mechanics, but not enough experience to know how to have work with our moves.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's no Harbinger in our game, but any playbook that can nab a powerful playbook's moves can take Angel's Touch, too. I was advised I should also warn you that you might be able to do a similar loop with The Enlightened's (Destiny playbook's) move and Love and Peace:

We also ran into a rules quirk regarding Constructed NPCs/Companions. They have the By Your Command Stat, which says this:

But if they have to damage their stat to use Armor, they're not really preventing any damage that would be done that way are they?

There was talk upthread about how the Tough as Nails stat can take a hit that would otherwise destroy, not just damage, the threat- even a 10+ Finish Them that would otherwise ignore stats. The rationale given is that it acts like armor. Thus I would gather that another source of armor would provide the same kind of benefit.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I had a question about the interaction in mechanics between two Fellowship 2e playbook moves:

From the Harbinger:

and

From the Exile:

If you had both of those moves would this mean you could heal one person twice and yourself twice, or can you keep damaging a stat and healing it to heal all the damaged stats on one person, plus an extra initial heal for yourself?

Generally you can only use a move once per triggering event, so my reading would be that you can heal one person twice and yourself once.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zomborgon posted:

There was talk upthread about how the Tough as Nails stat can take a hit that would otherwise destroy, not just damage, the threat- even a 10+ Finish Them that would otherwise ignore stats. The rationale given is that it acts like armor. Thus I would gather that another source of armor would provide the same kind of benefit.

Tough as Nails specifies it's used in place of destroying a stat though. Maybe it was meant to be used the same way, but that's not super clear here.

GimpInBlack posted:

Generally you can only use a move once per triggering event, so my reading would be that you can heal one person twice and yourself once.

Where does the rulebook say that? Because Gnome says 4 posts up that this is an infinite loop by RAW. I don't mind the idea that it's not, but I was wondering how the RAW readings would be.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 23, 2020

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nuns with Guns posted:

Where does the rulebook say that? Because Gnome says 4 posts up that this is an infinite loop by RAW. I don't mind the idea that it's not, but I was wondering how the RAW readings would be.

Generally, the Spotlight rules would cover that, yes. You can usually only do one or two things while you have the spotlight, "I heal this guy" would be reasonable to take away your spotlight for.

That said, that combo would allow you to use that spotlight to either double heal someone (and the damage you take is cancelled out by the heal from the Exile move), or heal someone plus heal yourself, your choice. And then I misread my own move and thought this would instantly recharge Angel's Touch for some reason? Don't know where I got that idea. So no, this isn't actually an infinite loop because Angel's Touch doesn't recharge from healing, it recharges from filling your belly, so this is actually just a very powerful healing combo and is fine actually.

As for the Armor/Tough As Nails thing, yeah I guess having a stat that says "you can damage this to use it as Armor" is mostly unhelpful. It does mean if something else you have would be damaged, you could damage this instead to block it, and it does mean you could damage the stat to take harm for somebody else. But otherwise yeah it isn't much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gnome7 posted:

Generally, the Spotlight rules would cover that, yes. You can usually only do one or two things while you have the spotlight, "I heal this guy" would be reasonable to take away your spotlight for.

That said, that combo would allow you to use that spotlight to either double heal someone (and the damage you take is cancelled out by the heal from the Exile move), or heal someone plus heal yourself, your choice. And then I misread my own move and thought this would instantly recharge Angel's Touch for some reason? Don't know where I got that idea. So no, this isn't actually an infinite loop because Angel's Touch doesn't recharge from healing, it recharges from filling your belly, so this is actually just a very powerful healing combo and is fine actually.

Okay, I see what you mean with the spotlight, that makes sense then.

gnome7 posted:

As for the Armor/Tough As Nails thing, yeah I guess having a stat that says "you can damage this to use it as Armor" is mostly unhelpful. It does mean if something else you have would be damaged, you could damage this instead to block it, and it does mean you could damage the stat to take harm for somebody else. But otherwise yeah it isn't much.

It's fine, we were trying to parse what uses that has so there are some edge advantages there at least.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Nuns with Guns posted:

And also, my bad, I somehow managed to conflate an explicit rule about SFX in Cortex Prime (which spells out that you can only use each SFX once per action even if you could meet the trigger condition more than once) with the general PbtA philosophy of "you generally can't use the same move over and over unless something about the situation changes" and mash them together in my brain.

I still think it's generally a good guideline to say "one move trigger in the fiction = one instance of the move," because it does prevent infinite loop scenarios even if this specific instance wasn't one, but it's not actually a rule in Fellowship.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Skull Diggers kickstarter update! Game isn't out for public just yet, but will be soon. Got a fair bit left to write first but progress is happening.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/skull-diggers/posts/3016335

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

OH man, I completely forgot to say.
I got my degree! A degree in translation, with my thesis being a huge chunk of the translation of the Fellowship manual! I intend to study how the Creative Commons stuff works and then see if I can offer my translation to the one publishing house in Italy that handles RPGs. Wish me luck!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

I got my degree! A degree in translation, with my thesis being a huge chunk of the translation of the Fellowship manual! I intend to study how the Creative Commons stuff works and then see if I can offer my translation to the one publishing house in Italy that handles RPGs. Wish me luck!

Fellowship is CC-BY-SA as applies to text, which requires you to attribute, link to the license, indicate if changed were made and provide your material under the same license. It is unclear if this applies to the art; I would not expect it to, however. So your text is probably fine, but if you intend to sell it, you will probably need new art.

Your bigger problem may be getting a publisher to accept publishing a CC-BY-SA work, as your own text will fall under the same exact license.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

paradoxGentleman posted:

There are at least two publishing houses in Italy that do RPGs, incidentally. Narrativa is the one everyone knows, I think -- and their version of Lovecraftesque is glorious -- but Grumpy Bear also exists. GB haven't released anything yet, but I think they were just gearing up to go when Covid laid waste to everything, so.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Fellowship is CC-BY-SA as applies to text, which requires you to attribute, link to the license, indicate if changed were made and provide your material under the same license. It is unclear if this applies to the art; I would not expect it to, however. So your text is probably fine, but if you intend to sell it, you will probably need new art.

Your bigger problem may be getting a publisher to accept publishing a CC-BY-SA work, as your own text will fall under the same exact license.

Yeah, that might be a problem. I suppose I can make the argument that, since it ties up to Tolkien's works and has had a couple of very succesful kickstarters (most PbtA games don't get to 2e, if I am not mistaken), it has an excellent chance of selling well.
God, I've never had to make a pitch to a publishing house. I'm quite nervous!

potatocubed posted:

There are at least two publishing houses in Italy that do RPGs, incidentally. Narrativa is the one everyone knows, I think -- and their version of Lovecraftesque is glorious -- but Grumpy Bear also exists. GB haven't released anything yet, but I think they were just gearing up to go when Covid laid waste to everything, so.

This is very interesting! Thank you for this information, I'll see if I can find them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Congrats on the degree, and best of luck getting a publishing deal! I'd suggest Narrativa, they actually published an Italian version of the original Inverse World so they are aware of my work already.

Mors is right on basically all points - the CC-BY-SA license means you're free to publish this without having to go through me for any of it and I don't need a dime, but the art is not included in the license and you do need to attribute the original work. A quick sentence somewhere in the first few pages mentioning "this is a translation of Fellowship by Jacob Randolph and the original work can be found here" with a link to the sales page (either itchio or dtrpg) is satisfactory.

You would need to get your own art though, because the rights for all the art for the books were retained by the original artists, as per my contract with them. I have the rights to use the art in the books and for promotional purposes and that's it.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 20, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

In the meantime, I am still playing Fellowship, because not even getting lambasted by my professor about how I translated it can tear me away from it.

We are getting ready for an Empire game, and we noticed something.

The Rebellion playbook mentions this:

quote:

Forming A Rebellion
To create a new Rebellion, you need three things: A leader, a community,
and their Fellowship.
A leader can be any charismatic Companion you have at least 2 Bonds with.
They become the leader of the rebellion, and will leave your companionship.
A community is simply any place with a lot of people and no love for the
Empire or the Overlord ruling over them. You cannot form a Rebellion against
the Horizon - there is no greater force to rebel against. The community where
you formed your Rebellion is its base of operations - you can freely meet with
the Rebellion within any community they have a base in, without risk.
Lastly, you need to have earned the Fellowship of the community you are
organizing into a rebellion. Without their trust, they will not help you.

Which seems to imply that a Rebellion is something the players have to create themselves through play, by investing resources such as their Companion and Fellowship.
But later on, in the section dedicated to creating characters, we find this:

quote:

The Empire should also hand the Rebellion playbook to the Fellowship at
this time, and they should create and define the nature of their Rebellion. Have
each player tell us one fact about the Rebellion, which can be about who started
it, about its leader, about its location, or about its past actions. Unlike the Ship
from Book 2, The Rebellion is inherently tied to the Empire, and must be
protected if the fellowship is to have a chance at winning.

So is the Rebellion meant to be created during play, or handed out before play begins?

One other player also had a series of questions that I am reporting here:
When does the rebellion gain new notoriety bonds? Players do it when they permanently harm the empire, but does the rebellion do that on their own?
Is it when the rebellion helps the fellowship do permanent harm?
What’s a ballpark for permanent harm? Took down a Leader? Gained fellowship with a community? Blew up a garrison?
Are there any other ways for players to decrease notoriety apart from the one Rebellion move? (That was the only one I could find) Would mean players can stay quite notorious

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Rebellion must be made during play if you do not already have one. This can happen in two ways: One, the existing rebellion was destroyed, or two, you were playing with the Overlord. The Overlord framework does not start with a rebellion in place, but one can be built up against them.

When playing with the Empire, a Rebellion is already in place. Those rules under Character Creation are framework-specific, they apply just to playing against the Empire (book 2's CC rules are for playing against the Horizon, and book 1's against the Overlord). You do not need to establish a Rebellion against the Empire unless the first one gets destroyed.

paradoxGentleman posted:

So is the Rebellion meant to be created during play, or handed out before play begins?

One other player also had a series of questions that I am reporting here:
When does the rebellion gain new notoriety bonds? Players do it when they permanently harm the empire, but does the rebellion do that on their own?
Is it when the rebellion helps the fellowship do permanent harm?
What’s a ballpark for permanent harm? Took down a Leader? Gained fellowship with a community? Blew up a garrison?
Are there any other ways for players to decrease notoriety apart from the one Rebellion move? (That was the only one I could find) Would mean players can stay quite notorious

The Rebellion can gain notoriety when the rebellion harms the empire. They can do this on their own, mostly through the more expensive Force options or through the Empire Under Siege set piece. They can do this through helping the fellowship, too, if their help was instrumental to the harm dealt. If the rebellion ever manages to do significant harm, then that's when they gain more Notoriety.

All of those are good ballparks for permanent harm. Mechanically it'd be either: taking down a leader, damaged or destroyed an important location or place of power, drained/stole/destroyed a lot of empire resources, or killed/converted a lot of their troops.

And yeah losing notoriety is meant to be difficult. Once you get famous, you tend to stay famous.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

No way to normally lose notoriety, uh. Man, that makes the fake IDs an extremely tempting offer.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's been a while since I recall a KS update, does anyone know when the next Fellowship book is coming out?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I was thinking "oh it hasnt been that long has it?" when reading your post but no, its been almost 5 months since I lasted updated the fellowship kickstarter. Huh. Sorry about that, its been a hell year and time is impossible.

I do not know exactly when it is coming out. I have a fair bit of writing left to do on it, not a ton but enough that I can't just knock it out in a week. And I've had trouble focusing on things for the recent... while. Skull Diggers is behind too, and when I do get work in it's mostly been on that.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Got it, thanks Gnome!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm playing in a Fellowship game as a first time Overlord. One of the players is thinking of playing an Angel and another is considering one of the Generous Fellowship playbooks, but is worried that two Powerful playbooks in one game might be too much.

Does anybody have any experience with multiple Powerful playbooks in one Fellowship?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Another question for the thread - does anyone have any experience or advice for running Fellowship as a one-shot? Not sure how well the campaign-focused mechanics would work in a single session.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm not the most experienced Overlord, but I think it works alright as long as you have a very strong concept, and some preplanned opportunities for player's to flesh out the world in an interesting way with immediate benefits and complications. You will also probably need some set pieces that require spending more resources than your standard campaign encounters.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tibalt posted:

I'm playing in a Fellowship game as a first time Overlord. One of the players is thinking of playing an Angel and another is considering one of the Generous Fellowship playbooks, but is worried that two Powerful playbooks in one game might be too much.

Does anybody have any experience with multiple Powerful playbooks in one Fellowship?

I've done it once, it's basically fine. Just don't feel any need to hold back ever. They can take whatever you've got.

BinaryDoubts posted:

Another question for the thread - does anyone have any experience or advice for running Fellowship as a one-shot? Not sure how well the campaign-focused mechanics would work in a single session.

I'd find a set piece you like and just use that for the session. Kraken is a popular one, I know at least one person has used that to run a fellowship one-shot, but Wild Dragon or Unkillable Lich or any of the adventure ones should be good, too.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
There's a few ways for a player to get gear from another player's playbook, but they usually restrict you to one of the other player's lists. How do those interact with the Remnant's gear? Would it let you pick a benefit without the penalty, or does choosing a penalty allow you to get a benefit like the Remnant proper?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
There is not a RAW answer to your question, tbh. Taking both a penalty and a benefit is probably the most fair/interesting way to handle it, but I didn't really design their gear around anything other than the Remnant itself. Some playbooks just use Gear as another set of customization options (Remnant, Shattered, Tinker, Beast), and less so actual stuff to have, so you could rule it any which way.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
Does the note "This Gear option cannot be Shared by any means" on the Devil's Business Gear mean that if a character takes "Take a Custom Move from any Basic or Powerful playbook" as an advancement and they choose the Devil's "Business as Usual", they don't actually get the gear?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The custom move overrides the limitation, I'll add a line to clarify that.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

gnome7 posted:

The custom move overrides the limitation, I'll add a line to clarify that.

Thanks Gnome!

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm gearing up to run a new campaign, and I have a few small questions:

On The Squire's playbook, it says that they cannot Command Lore about their people. What exactly should be the limitations on that? They should still be able to flesh out their backstory and their people's general place in the world, right?

I noticed that The Rain can get access to the Doom stat, but the description for it is a little bit different from The Harbinger's 2e playbook. The Harbinger's Doomed Soul and the appendix in the second edition of book 1 say that The Harbinger shouldn't use Doom protectively, but there doesn't seem to be a similar limitation to The Rain's version of Doomed Soul. Should The Harbinger's limitations also apply to The Rain? Would that mean that taking/sharing The Rain's version of Doomed Soul would give another playbook a slightly more powerful version of Doom then they would receive by taking/sharing The Harbinger's version?

Lastly, I've recently started working on making a new custom character sheet for Fellowship on Roll20, since the older version is based on 1e playbooks and doesn't include stuff from Inverse Fellowship or Fellowship in Rebellion. Would it be alright with you if I publicly share this when it is done? I know that Fellowship's CC by SA license means that it is probably fine to distribute it via roll20 or github, since it doesn't use any of the artwork, but I just wanted to get your permission first.

Edit: Just spotted something else. On The Collector playbook, it says that Workaholic replaces Fill Your Belly. Would that mean that someone using that playbook can't benefit from sharing a meal with their friends? What if another party member wants to share a meal with their Collector friend to heal an extra point of their own damage? Could a collector receive food from something like a halfling packed lunch to trigger Workaholic?

Tenik fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 13, 2021

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tenik posted:

I'm gearing up to run a new campaign, and I have a few small questions:

On The Squire's playbook, it says that they cannot Command Lore about their people. What exactly should be the limitations on that? They should still be able to flesh out their backstory and their people's general place in the world, right?

I noticed that The Rain can get access to the Doom stat, but the description for it is a little bit different from The Harbinger's 2e playbook. The Harbinger's Doomed Soul and the appendix in the second edition of book 1 say that The Harbinger shouldn't use Doom protectively, but there doesn't seem to be a similar limitation to The Rain's version of Doomed Soul. Should The Harbinger's limitations also apply to The Rain? Would that mean that taking/sharing The Rain's version of Doomed Soul would give another playbook a slightly more powerful version of Doom then they would receive by taking/sharing The Harbinger's version?

Lastly, I've recently started working on making a new custom character sheet for Fellowship on Roll20, since the older version is based on 1e playbooks and doesn't include stuff from Inverse Fellowship or Fellowship in Rebellion. Would it be alright with you if I publicly share this when it is done? I know that Fellowship's CC by SA license means that it is probably fine to distribute it via roll20 or github, since it doesn't use any of the artwork, but I just wanted to get your permission first.

Edit: Just spotted something else. On The Collector playbook, it says that Workaholic replaces Fill Your Belly. Would that mean that someone using that playbook can't benefit from sharing a meal with their friends? What if another party member wants to share a meal with their Collector friend to heal an extra point of their own damage? Could a collector receive food from something like a halfling packed lunch to trigger Workaholic?

This is a lot of questions! Well, here I go. In order:

The squire commands lore about the people they have befriended, not about societies. During the session zero, this means establishing some cool friends they have and what role they take in the world, and these friends can be completely off the wall and unrelated to society at large.

Doom and Iron work roughly the same regardless of how you obtain them, even if some of the specifics may change. Like the Iron stat represents different things for different playbooks (the Tinker's mech, the Dwarf's armor, the Nemesis' cold tenacity), but it always functions the same - you overpower and outlast them with it. Doom works the same - whether you got it from the Harbinger or the Rain, it is still just a luck check. You use it proactively in the sense that you declare "I am relying on fate to see how this turns out" but Doom isn't something your hero DOES, it's just something terrible that happens around them.

Distribution is a-okay and also this sheet looks very cool, thanks for making it. Share it publicly all you like.

Workaholic replaces Fill Your Belly, yes. You do not benefit from sharing meals, and others cannot share meals with you (for the extra healing). They can still feed you to power your Workaholic move, though - if three players share a halfling packed lunch, and two of them fill their belly but the other uses it to power Workaholic, that's just fine. The extra healing has to go to one of the two who actually shared the meal, though - you wandered off to go mess with your collection instead of actually eating with them.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Just wrapped up my first Fellowship game over the weekend! :toot:

There were a few rough spots and growing pains over the campaign as I learned the system and what does and doesn't work, but overall everyone said they enjoyed themselves! I'm currently playing in a few other Overlord framework games, but I'd love to give one of the others a try when I get the chance.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Got a Fellowship question: If the overlord has a bond with an NPC, can that bond be used for anything? Or is it just flavour?

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 28, 2021

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I was contemplating for my game to have the second-in-command being the secret real villain. Like, essentially the Overlord and the General swap places after a certain point in the story. How would I best do this?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mikedawson posted:

I was contemplating for my game to have the second-in-command being the secret real villain. Like, essentially the Overlord and the General swap places after a certain point in the story. How would I best do this?

This would be what the “you defeated the overlord, but now they reveal the true threat” thing is for, I think.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

This would be what the “you defeated the overlord, but now they reveal the true threat” thing is for, I think.

If they defeat the General beforehand, you can always say that they were faking it before! Although if the players have invested Bonds in that, you probably want to pick a different General, to respect the investment.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I just want to say I love Fellowship so much. I'm playing The Dragon, and I used "A Champion, Chosen" and selected Heir from that, so I'm playing a princess who was rescued by dragons.

It was a springboard to a really great character, and the mechanics have let me play that concept to the hilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Hi, I'm the GM/Overlord for the aforementioned Dragon Princess, and the person who said they were working on a custom Roll20 sheet like a month or two back. As much as I love Fellowship's mechanics and how it lets people play cool characters, the thing I'm constantly impressed by is the layout and design of the playbooks. Trying to make a digital equivalent of the different playbooks has shown me just how well thought out they are, and how much consideration there is in writing concise captions and arranging the different sections. Speaking of which, I was wondering if some people could help me with my custom sheet for the Empire and Location/Horizon playbooks.

I've only played as an Overlord, so I'm not sure if my current layout is ideal for other Framework players. Would someone with more experience mind taking a look at the current state of those sheets, and tell me if there is anything I can adjust to make it more convenient or clear for those particular Frameworks? Here are some images of what a sample sheet looks like. From left to right, the images show an Empire playbook, an Empire with every section collapsed, and a sample Location.