Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Austro-Hungarians got revealed

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1305899258269380609?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Gavrilo princip hero unit when

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

He certainly got poo poo done.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Southpaugh posted:

Gavrilo princip hero unit when

Kill the Hapsburgs and topple their thrones.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Will you play as the Black Hand in the Modern Era?

:thunk:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like every level has an odd choice of civilization or two, but that just leaves the obvious ones they skipped as DLC bait.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Is industrial era the last era in this game? Or is there another batch civs after this?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's the Contemporary era, which is meant to correspond to the postWWII period. I believe they've mentioned the PRC as a Contemporary civ.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's interesting- assigning units etc to present-day civs is going to be contentious.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish a Civ-like game would go beyond the present era and have one future time period. The old Call to Power games, for all their faults, did this well until you built an AI wonder that then rebelled and took over half your cities

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

u brexit ukip it posted:

I wish a Civ-like game would go beyond the present era and have one future time period. The old Call to Power games, for all their faults, did this well until you built an AI wonder that then rebelled and took over half your cities

Beyond Earth. :v:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

u brexit ukip it posted:

Civ literally does this. The Giant Death Robot is a thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cythereal posted:

Beyond Earth. :v:

I remember Civ 2 Test of Time had an Extended Campaign, where if you sent a spaceship to alpha centauri you got access to a new map you could travel back and forth between the two and fight aliens and stuff.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rimusutera posted:

Civ literally does this. The Giant Death Robot is a thing.

Wellllll yeah but it's not really a fleshed out Era. (ok, it is a bit in Civ 6)

Vanilla Civ 5 did briefly have a Future Era before the expansions did away with it. It had particle physics, nanotech and nuclear fusion (and the mysterious "future tech" of course). They unlock the GDR as you say, and the Xcom squad, and some spaceship parts.

Civ 6 brings it back and fleshes it out a bit but not much. I haven't played it so can't be sure, but I looked it up and in addition to some GDR upgrades and spaceship parts as usual, you also get projects to speed up science victory and a couple tile improvements.

The era just accelerates victories, but I guess it has to because a victory is expected to come around that time anyway. It would be nice, I think, if the expected time of the victories was pushed back a bit, so that games inevitably spend a decent amount of time in the future era. And then have that era fleshed out a lot more (with a similar number of techs, units, buildings etc as previous eras), based on techs that a little more grounded and kinda just on the horizon.

(then again, stretching out what are already incredibly long games might be rather unpopular!)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wellllll yeah but it's not really a fleshed out Era. (ok, it is a bit in Civ 6)

Vanilla Civ 5 did briefly have a Future Era before the expansions did away with it. It had particle physics, nanotech and nuclear fusion (and the mysterious "future tech" of course). They unlock the GDR as you say, and the Xcom squad, and some spaceship parts.

Civ 6 brings it back and fleshes it out a bit but not much. I haven't played it so can't be sure, but I looked it up and in addition to some GDR upgrades and spaceship parts as usual, you also get projects to speed up science victory and a couple tile improvements.

The era just accelerates victories, but I guess it has to because a victory is expected to come around that time anyway. It would be nice, I think, if the expected time of the victories was pushed back a bit, so that games inevitably spend a decent amount of time in the future era. And then have that era fleshed out a lot more (with a similar number of techs, units, buildings etc as previous eras), based on techs that a little more grounded and kinda just on the horizon.

(then again, stretching out what are already incredibly long games might be rather unpopular!)

I'm not opposed to a future era (and in fact really liked the civ4 mod that came with BTS that added just that!), but what is the point of implementing it? Most games of civ start in the ancient era and are basically won by the medieval period. Eras after that are either a victory lap or just a march towards the inevitable. It just feels like a waste of resources.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That's probably how the Civs devs see it as well. Not much point fleshing out (and balancing!) an era that barely any players actually reach.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

u brexit ukip it posted:

Call To Power II also had a lawyer unit for stealing money from opposing cities. It was insanely 90s.

I'm kinda shocked firaxis never went to public works, it seems way more elegant than worker units but i guess they didn't want to introduce a hammer tax system.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1308436235220922376?s=20

Don't know exactly what all of this does yet, but seems dull.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
British Empire... without naval bonuses? Da gently caress?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cythereal posted:

Navy stuff can be a bit of a balance nightmare (IE: If there's no water on the map, or tons of it) so maybe they decided to just go with land units for the cultures.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The water expansion for Endless Legend was really good, so hopefully they can come up with something for Humankind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gort posted:

Navy stuff can be a bit of a balance nightmare (IE: If there's no water on the map, or tons of it) so maybe they decided to just go with land units for the cultures.

Phoenicians, Norse, and Dutch have all been shown with unique naval units so far. Carthaginians have a unique harbor but no naval unit.

It looks like they're doing one naval civ per era, and for some reason the British aren't it for the Industrial Era.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 22, 2020

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Cythereal posted:

We don't know the culture's legacy bonus or what the Colonial Office actually does. Regardless I'd have been a big fan of their unit being a Dreadnaught or some type of key Frigate. Redcoats are stupid, at least do Highlanders or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

We don't know the culture's legacy bonus or what the Colonial Office actually does. Regardless I'd have been a big fan of their unit being a Dreadnaught or some type of key Frigate. Redcoats are stupid, at least do Highlanders or something.

If they are doing one naval civ per era as the pattern has been so far, maybe the United States with a Monitor as the unique unit?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Cythereal posted:

If they are doing one naval civ per era as the pattern has been so far, maybe the United States with a Monitor as the unique unit?

Leaks indicate America is a Contemporary culture and Germany shows up in Industrial and probably with Uboats.

I'm as flabbergasted as you probably are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

Leaks indicate America is a Contemporary culture and Germany shows up in Industrial and probably with Uboats.

I'm as flabbergasted as you probably are.

Glorifying Germany from the first half of the 20th century wouldn't be my choice, no.

If I were to represent Germany in a 4X like this, I'd probably go for Germany as a Contemporary civilization focused on industry and diplomacy.

That's something I thought CBE nailed when it added INTEGR: the German faction is characterized as a liberal, secular, diplomatic group focused on trade and diplomacy with a peaceful AI.

Though America as the naval civ in the Contemporary Era would be a natural choice, with a Supercarrier or SSN as obvious units.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Its a 4X game so doing Kaiser-era Imperial Germany isn't particularly ethically debatable anymore than... well, the British, so I'm not against in on principle. They seem to be skipping over a direct focus on WW2 to some extent. The office maps that everyone's been dissecting on the Amplitude Discord indicates that the only Contemporary era European culture we might see is the Soviets. Which will be neat.

Britain being the land based EU versus Germans getting submarines is gonna be weird though. When I think the British Empire I think Naval Hegemony.

My grip so far with the current line up is we have Medieval Germany already so I'd rather they slip in another African culture in the Industrial period instead of both Germany and Austria-Hungary, and honestly if they cut Germany to DLC to keep the latter I'd actually prefer that.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I like this approach for Britain. I mean, I don't think Britain's ships were necessarily different to that of any other European great power. They just had a lot of them, and were really committed to using them well. But their colonial administration was something pretty unique- there are a whole lot of countries across the planet today whose external and internal borders were decided by various British folks drawing lines on maps a few centuries back.
(On that note, my own state takes its name from a Yorkshireman deciding that a landscape of saltbush, golden beaches and ancient forests filled with parrots and large marsupials looked an awful lot like Wales. South Wales, in fact!)

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I sort've have mixed feelings maybe, and can see where you're coming from, but without knowing the actual meat of it I'm left underwhelmed with whether this'll encourage the sort've gameplay I would want to expect aiming for encourages or is encouraged by picking the British as a culture.

There was a lot of discussion in other communities following this about the Mongols along similar lines, what parts of the centuries of successive Mongol successor Empires should be emphasized over the horse archers and yurts. Yet besides this being fairly inoffensive to Mongolians in the first place, its also that taking that approach takes away the process of creating those empires or alternate versions that this game seems to be about. Emphasizing the Mongols as they were on the eve of Genghis' conquests lets you have that freedom of creation based on who else you conquer and what culture you subsequently transform to rather than just handing those things to you prepackaged.

Without knowing what hooks are there with these sets of abilities that really pull you to be a maritime culture, it feels too much just like I'm a picking a generic empire. Maybe I'll be wrong about this, but if I contrast this to the Dutch, the Venetians or the Carthaginians I can tell right away that I want to be a seafaring people or aim to be a seafaring people when I pick them.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 23, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Rimusutera posted:

I'd rather they slip in another African culture in the Industrial period instead of both Germany and Austria-Hungary

The monkey's paw curls as a tweet goes out "Will you play as the Boers in the Industrial Era? 🤔"

I think Ethiopia, Zulu, Zanzibar, or Barbary would be good African candidates for the industrial era. Barbary would also be naval!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Zulu and Ethiopia are likely, but I was hoping the Ashanti could get in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tree Bucket posted:

I like this approach for Britain. I mean, I don't think Britain's ships were necessarily different to that of any other European great power

Well, HMS Dreadnought made every other battleship in existence obsolete overnight, that probably counts.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gort posted:

Well, HMS Dreadnought made every other battleship in existence obsolete overnight, that probably counts.

Fair enough! Does Humanity have everything from redcoats to dreadnoughts in the one era? Civ6 seperates them, I think

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah the Industrial Era for the game covers the 18th century through and into what would be considered WW1 Era tech and stuff. Emblematic Units don't need to be strictly unique, just representative of the culture and imho the British Navy is what I think of regarding Britain militarily in this period. When I think of France, I think dominance on land even if they also were solid rivals at sea too.

Readcoat EU just sucks rear end because, like the Spanish Conquistador being a broad category of "dudes who went and conquered places" reduced to musket guy, its just something regarding the colour of British uniforms but being shoehorned into being a... line infantry? What about Redcoat Dragoons or Naval Officers?

If I seem whiny these just stand out as my least favourite designs so far, but most everything is really good regardless and I'm still excited. If their actual abilities tied to their quarter and legacy trait actually encourage maritime stuff I'll be somewhat satisfied, but unlike a lot of the Ancient and Classical cultures we havent see the details for the more recent cultural reveals yet.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 23, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

I sort've have mixed feelings maybe, and can see where you're coming from, but without knowing the actual meat of it I'm left underwhelmed with whether this'll encourage the sort've gameplay I would want to expect aiming for encourages or is encouraged by picking the British as a culture.

If I had to guess, Humankind will bring over the continents/region system from Endless Legend, and Redcoats will have bonus strength when in a continent/region you don't own, likewise the Colonial Office will get bonuses relating to trading with different continents/regions. Emphasizing Britain as a global power that wants to be fighting and trading away from home. Which is all fine, but at the same time the Royal Navy is kind of what made all of that possible and was one of the defining parts of the British Empire.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The regions system from Legends is in and, from what the Open Dev scenarios have shown, you can establish Outposts in other territories to claim them but which aren't full fledge cities, then attach those territories to the administration of one of your actual cities, with you able to keep them like this or upgrade them into full cities later. Optimizing this is related to various civics and administrator points you can assign to get the right yields you want from how your empire is organized, either lots of territories attached to a few cities or lots of cities or somewhere inbetween so on and so forth. I suspect the Colonial Office thing will have to do with this sort've management system and hopefully tie it to overseas qualifiers.

The Roman's revealed ability, and they're also Expansionist trait like the British, has something to do with extra General Cap for administering your armies so perhaps the British ability will be similar but with admirals & fleets.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tree Bucket posted:

I like this approach for Britain. I mean, I don't think Britain's ships were necessarily different to that of any other European great power. They just had a lot of them, and were really committed to using them well. But their colonial administration was something pretty unique- there are a whole lot of countries across the planet today whose external and internal borders were decided by various British folks drawing lines on maps a few centuries back.
(On that note, my own state takes its name from a Yorkshireman deciding that a landscape of saltbush, golden beaches and ancient forests filled with parrots and large marsupials looked an awful lot like Wales. South Wales, in fact!)

I'm with you on this. I feel like 'Industrial Era' is generally hitting up the 19th century, and there wasn't too much readily distinctive about the UK navy in that era. Britain was a naval powerhouse, but I don't even think there was a single major naval engagement post Napoleonic Wars - which come before the Industrial Era anyway. Most of the emblematic conflicts of the industrial era in the UK were a bunch of redcoats around the world, and to be fair they are pretty instantly recognisable. Of course, I'd just as readily take pith helmeted explorer, some mutton chopped engineer-y type, Florence Nightingale nurse-y type thing. But I don't really know how diverse the unit categories are. I don't keep full tabs, but I only really remember soldiers, ships and spies so far.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://mobile.twitter.com/GrandAllianceEN/status/1308843605885440002

That's weird. I thought this game was based on historical events.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Det_no posted:

That's weird. I thought this game was based on historical events.

No, you're getting it confused with ES2. That's clearly a Riftborn icon next to the words "rate up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What is wrong with her back :pwn:

edit :thunk: