Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Elephant Ambush posted:

Homelander was lying

The Deep is an idiot

I don’t think jabby was saying that Homelander was being sincere. But that The Deep wouldn’t know that, and would maybe go to Homelander with info about Maeve looking for dirt on Homelander hoping to get back in The Seven. This would, of course, get him jack poo poo, but would also doom Maeve, so working with The Deep is a risky move for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I really like how A-Train makes a choo-choo train sound effect when he starts/stops a run

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I really like how A-Train makes a choo-choo train sound effect when he starts/stops a run

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think there's something you're not seeing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 23, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Speaking of motivation.

Homelander is motivated by his need to gain approval from the masses.

A-Train is motivated by his desire to gain fame and fortune at all costs.

The Deep wants respect and to overcome his insecurities.

Starlight wants to enforce her version of justice even if she has to play outside the lines.

Stormfront is chaotic evil personified and loves to manipulate and control people just for the fun of it all.

Black Noir is well.. Black Noir.

Butcher, Hughie, Kamiko, French, Mother Milk- all the big players have motivations and desires and goals that drive the characters forward.

What about Maeve? Have we seen any indications about what her motivations are?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, that crowd fantasy scene.

That immediately made me wonder if we're going to get one or two more where it's made clear it's just Homelander fantasizing about committing some heinous poo poo, then cap off the season with him doing it for real.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 25, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Speaking of motivation.

Starlight wants to enforce her version of justice even if she has to play outside the lines.

Stormfront is chaotic evil personified and loves to manipulate and control people just for the fun of it all.

Butcher, Hughie, Kamiko, French, Mother Milk- all the big players have motivations and desires and goals that drive the characters forward.

Maeve started out as a true idealist and has been ground by the corporate machine into running on Autopilot. She does the job, gets the checks, and drinks her sorrows away.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Also, what ideology are you talking about? The one where I think people who murder without remorse for their personal gain are more villain than hero?

The ideology that gives you the confidence to call an addict evil while being “confused” and giving the benefit of the doubt for other certain characters.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Maeve started out as a true idealist and has been ground by the corporate machine into running on Autopilot. She does the job, gets the checks, and drinks her sorrows away.

She’s the most relatable character in a lot of ways

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's kinda telling that a character like Ashley feels free to bitch at Starlight or A-Train in order to get them to do something, when she knows they are powerful enough to kill her where she stands, and how deferential she is towards Homelander, who she knows will kill her where she stands if she annoys him too much.

Her standing up to A-train in filming was a great moment. I was half expecting him to slap her at mach 4, but instead he calmed down and decided to actually do what the nice lady said.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I could easily see Homelander leaving the Seven because of something Stormfront does to him, and, wanting revenge against Vaught/Stormfront/Gus Fring, he finds the Boys and asks them if they want his help, and they reluctantly use him to that end while at the same time trying to devise a way to kill him, too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Speaking of motivation.

She's gay.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

*bisexual

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there was a whole line about it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

jabby posted:

So what's stopping him shopping her to Homelander in exchange for taking her place?

My guess is that this is Maeve's actual secret plan. Without Maeve on the Seven, Homelander will get distracted and bored and she can live her life without the threat of Homelander exploding her friend. I think Maeve is just going to try and get the Deep back on ahead of schedule and have him take her spot.

The Deep will gently caress it up by committing somethine so heinous that whatever they do to get him back on will be nullified.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Prowler posted:

I have seen a few times in this thread that he's expressed no remorse for his actions. This is true, but specifically in that he hasn't said anything resembling his remorse, even after getting humbled.

His actions, however, tell a different story, and that's what other posters seem to be focusing on. After he killed Popclaw, he did the classic thing that some people riddled with guilt and remorse do: deflect. He blames someone else and tries hard to use logic to escape the guilt and pass it onto Hughie--basically trying to build up that good ol' cognitive dissonance. He drinks excessively. He directs his rage at things he has control over, and slides deep into drug usage. These are not the actions of someone who doesn't care--they're actions of someone who has yet to come to terms with who they are, but are, perhaps, on the cusp of facing that reality.

His growth has been very slow--across two seasons so far--but I think they have done a good job writing his character BECAUSE it has been slow and gradual.

Compare to The Deep, who has taken about every shortcut possible to character growth and it blows up spectacularly in his face each time. I suspect this agreement with Maeve will blow up in his face, as well, but in a "positive" way that he lucks out in the end.

I would argue that experiencing pain or regret doesn’t necessarily equate to positive growth if the character takes the wrong lesson from it and doubles down. Walter White eats a lot of poo poo over the course of his story too.

A Train has progressed from being a super drunk driver who accidentally killed someone (but got over any lingering guilt), through to being a guy who murders but he’s sad about it (but blames someone else for his actions), through to being a guy who is straight up comfortable with violence enough to willing to threaten casual murder for his own ends. If anything his growth has been negative.

I just read through the series again and comic A-trains end . He’s a different character in the clinics since it was him who raped starlight so Hughie has two reasons to hate him personally. But his story ends with butcher presenting him to Hughie to make Hughie angry and enforce butchers point that sometimes, you just have to kill people.

So A train is on his knees begging for his life and Hughie starts up with a big speech “her name was robin and she was a person etc” and it’s a pointless gesture because a-train just isn’t listening because he’s too busy crying and feeling sorry for himself. The point being that Hughies big revenge is bittersweet, because as much as it’s tempting to think that there’s cosmic justice in revenge and someone will finally understand the pain they’ve caused once they’ve seen enough of it, sometimes they just don’t. So A-train gets his head kicked off and never really grasps why.

Now, is that where show A-train is going? Who knows. But at this point it’s equally as likely an end for his arc as any kind of redemption.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 23, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BGrifter posted:

She’s a remarkably effective villain when you consider she hasn’t had *that* much screen time with the show split between so many plots that don’t directly involve her. The actress is very good and does a lot of work with little smirks and other subtleties.

Her scene with A-Train was incredible. You could watch the entire unspoken conversation unroll as they went back and forth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Her scene with A-Train was incredible. You could watch the entire unspoken conversation unroll as they went back and forth.
Channeling that NY Birding incident where the white woman can just claim the mean angry black man was hostile when she was just sipping her juice :qq:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's kinda telling that a character like Ashley feels free to bitch at Starlight or A-Train in order to get them to do something, when she knows they are powerful enough to kill her where she stands, and how deferential she is towards Homelander, who she knows will kill her where she stands if she annoys him too much.

Her standing up to A-train in filming was a great moment. I was half expecting him to slap her at mach 4, but instead he calmed down and decided to actually do what the nice lady said.

Oh man I kept forgetting to post about this. Yes this scene was excellent and it was an extremely good decision to give Ashley a scene which explains why she exists and is in her job. She's not a quivering useless wreck all the time, it's just when she's around Homelander and it was important the show gave us a contrasting moment to clarify this.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I wonder how much Ashley knows about what the supes get up to.

I mean she'd obviously know A-Train accidentally killed someone, but she wouldn't know he's been threatening Starlight. Or that he killed Popclaw. She might conceivably know that Homelander has murdered people though, and he's the only one to have threatened her directly.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PoptartsNinja posted:

That immediately made me wonder if we're going to get one or two more where it's made clear it's just Homelander fantasizing about committing some heinous poo poo, then cap of the season with him doing it for real.

This is my expectation. He'll fantasize throwing someone up into the air, punching someone's head off, lasering someone in half for a petty reason, stuff like that. Until one time he does it for real, and he'll either panic or decide to revel in it. Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, right?

e: Another theory I don't expect but it would make things interesting: Doppleganger's body being all Homelander-ified made for good symbolism that he's trying to kill his human side, but I wonder if it's going to come back into play. It would make an interesting turn, even if only for an episode, for Homelander to use the body to fake his death, wear a disguise (maybe a Black Noir suit, so we can see a nod to the comic), and try to be someone else for a little while. It would backfire when he hears how much everyone really hated him.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 23, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alchenar posted:

Oh man I kept forgetting to post about this. Yes this scene was excellent and it was an extremely good decision to give Ashley a scene which explains why she exists and is in her job. She's not a quivering useless wreck all the time, it's just when she's around Homelander and it was important the show gave us a contrasting moment to clarify this.

She didn't put up much of an effort when it came to Maeve during the commercial she walked out on. A-Train's the only character we've really seen her talk like that to so far, and while there's a good degree of assumption going on, on my end: I don't think it's exactly a coincidence that A-Train is the only one being fired, or retired, so suddenly for loving up.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

She knows that Homelander has ok'd (or even been the one to decide) that A-Train is out, so Ashley feels "safe" telling him how it is. Starlight I guess she feels like she has more control over because of her being a bit soft, and relatively new?

It is an interesting thought experiment though. Knowing what she does she must surely know that Vought would cover up one of the supes killing her out of frustration or something, in much the same way they dealt with all of the random carers that young HL killed accidentally or otherwise.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

ruddiger posted:

The ideology that gives you the confidence to call an addict evil while being “confused” and giving the benefit of the doubt for other certain characters.
Benefit of the doubt to which characters? They're all assholes. Stormfront? rear end in a top hat. Homelander? rear end in a top hat. Starlight? rear end in a top hat. Literally everyone is an rear end in a top hat, even the supposed heroes.

Being an addict doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want in society. He has a complicated origin story and the actor playing him does a great job humanizing him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is one of the most disgusting and vile members of the Seven. Certainly more evil than Deep, Maeve, Starlight and Black Noir. A-Train is so demented and warped he doesn't believe he is at fault for anything. At least Stormfront knows what she's doing is evil.

Considering his arrogance and demeanor in the first season, I am enjoying watching his downfall.

Imagine for a second A-Train had Homelander's powers. He would be an unstoppable force of evil.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

That immediately made me wonder if we're going to get one or two more where it's made clear it's just Homelander fantasizing about committing some heinous poo poo, then cap of the season with him doing it for real.

That's a good point, and would make me forgive the fantasy scene fakeout. I could see him having a couple of fantasy scenes like that, doing something horrific, blinking it away revealing it's a fantasy. Then, in the finale, he does something equally horrific, tries to blink it away, except, surprise to us and even to him, it won't go away, because this time it was real.

That would be a pretty great reveal, with the fantasy scenes as a good build up. Good call, if that's what happens.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

i hope so, i got chills during that scene, the fallout from that kind of action would be extremely engaging television

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

Benefit of the doubt to which characters? They're all assholes. Stormfront? rear end in a top hat. Homelander? rear end in a top hat. Starlight? rear end in a top hat. Literally everyone is an rear end in a top hat, even the supposed heroes.

Being an addict doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want in society. He has a complicated origin story and the actor playing him does a great job humanizing him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is one of the most disgusting and vile members of the Seven. Certainly more evil than Deep, Maeve, Starlight and Black Noir. A-Train is so demented and warped he doesn't believe he is at fault for anything. At least Stormfront knows what she's doing is evil.

Considering his arrogance and demeanor in the first season, I am enjoying watching his downfall.

Imagine for a second A-Train had Homelander's powers. He would be an unstoppable force of evil.

Yep, A-Train constantly sees himself as the victim of his own actions or decisions. Nothing's ever his fault, and everything happens to him, not the other way around. When he killed Robin, he convinced himself it was an accident or even her fault (really that was a PR line, but you can bet he internalized that excuse), and he's always been annoyed, not remorseful, about it. Hell when Hughie wanted him to apologize to his face he wasn't even paying attention, just reciting the line he was probably told five minutes before. Popclaw? Homelander made him do it, or Hughie is to blame, not him.

He's a great character in the literary sense (and a great actor), but a despicable human being. If he ends up working with the Boys, it will be to get revenge against Homelander and/or to get back what he feels he deserves, not out of any altruistic motives.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 23, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

i hope so, i got chills during that scene, the fallout from that kind of action would be extremely engaging television

Yeah, like, what would the government do? Send the army to attack him? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLttoq9BksA&t=231s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

scary ghost dog posted:

The most frightening thing was his mouth. Antony Starr really knows how to mouth act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jYuv5hhf4&t=10s

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

e: Another theory I don't expect but it would make things interesting: Doppleganger's body being all Homelander-ified made for good symbolism that he's trying to kill his human side, but I wonder if it's going to come back into play. It would make an interesting turn, even if only for an episode, for Homelander to use the body to fake his death, wear a disguise (maybe a Black Noir suit, so we can see a nod to the comic), and try to be someone else for a little while. It would backfire when he hears how much everyone really hated him.

Did anyone else notice when Doppleganger became Homelander he was still a fair bit shorter than the real one? Thought that was a nice nod towards realism despite the universe, he can take someone's appearance but he can't generate mass out of nowhere.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The most frightening thing was his mouth. Antony Starr really knows how to mouth act.

That was some drat good acting. The sheer open-mouthed joy during the lasering followed immediately by the terrified-child look when he realises what he's done.

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 23, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

really good performance. homelander is definitely an all-timer on the tv bad guy scale, both in writing and performance. if he had way more screen time he might land up there with tony soprano

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I like how what he's doing with his jaw looks like a flexing/yawning action, like the kind of thing you do when you've got a lot of tension built up and it feels good to flex it out.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I like to think that the person who shouted 'gently caress HOMELANDER' ducked out immediately and avoided the lasers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bioshuffle posted:

There is no confusion for me because the show makes it pretty clear he is motivated by his need for fame and money. I do find it interesting that he is one of the few members of the Seven who has to work to keep his spot. The minute someone tops him, he is gone. I agree that their motivations is what keeps the show interesting. Especially as the show continually toys with their motivations and changes them.

This seems like pretty apt commentary on him being the token black guy on The Seven, considered disposable and interchangeable while the white team members can get away with way worse.

Not surprising that a lack of consequences for his actions besides not being a good enough weapon are going to result in escalating his horrible acts as he finds violence and easier and easier answer to his problems. It's the same path a lot of the horrible superpeople have taken, I bet.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sorry to be Toronto centric, but again hilarious that this takes place with the building where I take my kids on field trips to see the symphony in the background.

scary ghost dog posted:

100% Homelander as an undefeatable but fragile public enemy #1 would be incredible television.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's not that A-Train couldn't get away with being a junkie or murdering people. He could. He just stopped being useful.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Relishing the feeling of giving in to a base desire. And then immediately taken aback. Even for him that's a little bit too much (for now).

jabby posted:

Did anyone else notice when Doppleganger became Homelander he was still a fair bit shorter than the real one? Thought that was a nice nod towards realism despite the universe, he can take someone's appearance but he can't generate mass out of nowhere.

That was some drat good acting. The sheer open-mouthed joy during the lasering followed immediately by the terrified-child look when he realises what he's done.

I think it was just because Homelander was in boots and Dopey was barefoot. It's good continuity (or w/e) work.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 23, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

There's no evidence she is actually bisexual and I've made a list to prove it:

1) bisexual people don't wear capes

2) we have never seen her membership card to the bisexual organization

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I loved during Homelander trying to damage control someone in the crowd yelling "WAIT THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE?!" when he says something like "these things happen..."

When the writers nail it they fuckin NAIL it, hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Another Bill posted:

100% Homelander as an undefeatable but fragile public enemy #1 would be incredible television.

There's a comic series called Irredeemable that does this (and has a lot of parallels with The Boys). Their superman-expy goes nuts and just terrorises the whole world, like destroying cities on a whim, sinking whole countries into the sea when he thinks one citizen has disrespected him, carving his name across the whole of North America with laser vision, etc. etc.

In one of it's better bits, it touches on what it be like to live in that kind of world. Just go about your daily life knowing that while it's unlikely your city will get a visit on any particular day (world's a big place) somewhere there's a vengeful God just murdering by the thousands and all you can do is hear about which place got trashed today on the news. And you and everyone you love might just be obliterated without warning at any time for no reason.

It's not really true to The Boys comic, but it would be good TV.