Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

There's a comic series called Irredeemable that does this (and has a lot of parallels with The Boys).

I'm going to track that down, that's for the recommend!

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Grem posted:

There's no evidence she is actually bisexual and I've made a list to prove it:

1) bisexual people don't wear capes

2) we have never seen her membership card to the bisexual organization

Also, even if proven, she's not advancing the bisexual agenda, she just loves to *cause chaos.*

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Grem posted:

There's no evidence she is actually bisexual and I've made a list to prove it:

1) bisexual people don't wear capes

2) we have never seen her membership card to the bisexual organization
She dated Homelander at some point. She is definitely bisexual. That's why it's extra hosed up that they're categorizing her as a lesbian.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jabby posted:

There's a comic series called Irredeemable that does this (and has a lot of parallels with The Boys). Their superman-expy goes nuts and just terrorises the whole world, like destroying cities on a whim, sinking whole countries into the sea when he thinks one citizen has disrespected him, carving his name across the whole of North America with laser vision, etc. etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredeemable

That's...that's an interesting comic.

I hope they don't bring aliens into the boys though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredeemable

That's...that's an interesting comic.

I hope they don't bring aliens into the boys though.

the setting of irredeemable is a significantly more accurate pastiche of the dc comics universe. i dont think we’re going to have to worry about the military summoning demons in The Boys

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right. It was also in a zinc lined box so that explains Homelander couldn't see through it and find it.

i wonder if lining poo poo in zinc is actually effective against hiding things from homelander

sure he can't see into it, but that should make that box stick out a lot more because who the gently caress makes boxes out of zinc for no reason

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Goast posted:

i wonder if lining poo poo in zinc is actually effective against hiding things from homelander

sure he can't see into it, but that should make that box stick out a lot more because who the gently caress makes boxes out of zinc for no reason

Maybe.

But to be a pedant, there's a shitload of stuff (including containers) made with zinc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I'm going to track that down, that's for the recommend!

It has a companion series called Incorruptible about a former villain of Evil Superman who tries to become a hero in his place Megamind.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Goast posted:

i think HL even says something about the zinc box that translucent is in . that its zinc as a message to HL

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I think that homelander could be beaten by a supe that isn't necessarily as strong/tough as him just because he probably doesn't actually know how to fight.

Batman V Superman got me thinking about it. Superman is thought of as undefeatable just because he so outclasses anyone he could face. The moment he's weakened enough to be near regular strength he gets his rear end kicked by batman because he's never actually learned how to fight (because he never had to).

Black Noir doesn't seem to have laser eyes, or flight. But he's certainly really strong and tough. And he seems to actually know how to fight (he and the female had it out in the street). I think he (and probably SF too) could probably beat HL, even if he's not able to do all the things HL can do, because he's got enough powers along with knowing how to fight.

Does this seem reasonable?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

There seem to be like, unofficial 'tiers' of supes. Mesmer gets beaten to death by Butcher, and Homelander says that Maeve will die from the impact of the plane crash. Several terrorist supes get cut down by eyebeams, but Stormfront can absorb them without too much damage. I feel like Homelander isn't as invincible as he thinks he is, but the collateral damage from him and SF duking it out? Holy poo poo.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I think in the comics, Homelander is fast enough to fly through people and have it basically look like spontaneous human combustion. So you’d have to find a way to counter him basically being a flying speedster before the idea of throwing him into a fight multiple supes actually able to damage him becomes an option. Otherwise he just flies through everyone before anybody can react.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

I think that homelander could be beaten by a supe that isn't necessarily as strong/tough as him just because he probably doesn't actually know how to fight.

Batman V Superman got me thinking about it. Superman is thought of as undefeatable just because he so outclasses anyone he could face. The moment he's weakened enough to be near regular strength he gets his rear end kicked by batman because he's never actually learned how to fight (because he never had to).

Black Noir doesn't seem to have laser eyes, or flight. But he's certainly really strong and tough. And he seems to actually know how to fight (he and the female had it out in the street). I think he (and probably SF too) could probably beat HL, even if he's not able to do all the things HL can do, because he's got enough powers along with knowing how to fight.

What if Homelander just hovers like 5 meters off the ground where Black Noir can't get him? WHAT THEN??

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What if Homelander just hovers like 5 meters off the ground where Black Noir can't get him? WHAT THEN??

poo poo!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

He’ll toss a knife, he’s got like 4 of them. Geez.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Also the knives are zinc

yook
Mar 11, 2001

And forged with a mother’s love.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If I were managing an invincible superhero, I'd definitely have an "open secret" fake weakness for enemies to plan around.

"Yeah, don't tell anyone, but I can't see through zinc!"

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
If Homelander's lasers hit a mirror and bounced back, would he cut himself in half?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

PostNouveau posted:

If I were managing an invincible superhero, I'd definitely have an "open secret" fake weakness for enemies to plan around.

This seems like it would really easy for Vought, oh and BTW in our hero profile their weakness is "insert made up or harmless thing", but don't worry we made their suit extra nice for them so you the public DONT NEED TO WORRY.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

We've seen that Homelander's best attack (ie his laser) doesn't affect Stormfront at all. If I had to pick a superhero to bet on, she would be the one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It still burns her pretty badly.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

In the Dr. McNinja webcomics, there's a villain character that can manipulate their own anatomy to be extra durable and immune to marital arts pressure points. Because Dr. McNinja was really good at anatomy even as a kid, he recognized that they'd moved the nerve cluster to their right butt cheek, which lets his dad defeat the character by hitting it. By the time they meet again years later, the villain had relocated his weakness and laughs about how many ninjas he's killed over the years because they thought they could still beat him by punching him in the rear end.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

We've seen that Homelander's best attack (ie his laser) doesn't affect Stormfront at all. If I had to pick a superhero to bet on, she would be the one.

Maybe he wasn't layering at full strength, and she was definitely burning. If he did that to her eyes she might be in a little trouble. but yeah, I think she could probably take him, especially since I think he'd get scared and try to fly away as soon as he realized he wasn't going to easily demolish her.

Homelander's biggest weakness may be his feelings for his son, so I wouldn't be surprised if SF would make some move in that direction.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Aphrodite posted:

It still burns her pretty badly.

PostNouveau posted:

This was a plot point in MegaMind where MetroMan got sick of being a super hero and suddenly pretended he was vulnerable to Copper. MegaMind is so convinced this is a thing that he used a copper contraption as a failsafe against Tighten (which didn't work, of course).

So fake vulnerability is definitely an option for when a supe wants to hang up the cape.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

yook posted:

I think in the comics, Homelander is fast enough to fly through people and have it basically look like spontaneous human combustion. So you’d have to find a way to counter him basically being a flying speedster before the idea of throwing him into a fight multiple supes actually able to damage him becomes an option. Otherwise he just flies through everyone before anybody can react.

It actually annoys me a bit how HL saved Butcher and the baby from the explosion at the end of season one.

If you can move so fast that you can get two people out of a building in between a detonator being pushed and the explosion reaching them, you can basically do anything. Super-speed is huge plot-hole fodder because no matter what happens you question why HL doesn't just fix the situation before anybody else can blink.

Bioshuffle posted:

Eh, they gave her some pretty nasty burns and I'm fairly sure that was the low setting. So far we've seen nothing actually damage Homelander.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe he wasn't layering at full strength, and she was definitely burning. If he did that to her eyes she might be in a little trouble. but yeah, I think she could probably take him, especially since I think he'd get scared and try to fly away as soon as he realized he wasn't going to easily demolish her.

Homelander's biggest weakness may be his feelings for his son, so I wouldn't be surprised if SF would make some move in that direction.
His biggest weakness is being lied to. Everyone is so terrified of him that they'll tell him whatever he wants to hear, so he gets surrounded by yes men. Nobody genuinely loves him and he is very lonely. He craves validation but nobody can be sincere to a man who can laser them down to atoms.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My superhero weakness is buffalo wings. Please do not send me a lot of buffalo wings.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Eh, they gave her some pretty nasty burns and I'm fairly sure that was the low setting. So far we've seen nothing actually damage Homelander.

Getting the street dropped on him slowed him down enough for an escape. The only thing I can remember even resembling someone damaging him until Stormfront started throwing him around. And of course Homeboy, who I think you're supposed to assume is his eventual equal, shoving him.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Panfilo posted:

His biggest weakness is being lied to. Everyone is so terrified of him that they'll tell him whatever he wants to hear, so he gets surrounded by yes men. Nobody genuinely loves him and he is very lonely. He craves validation but nobody can be sincere to a man who can laser them down to atoms.

Yup, he has zero understanding of human psychology, and instead goes off cardiovascular markers that can mean many things.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

As Nero Danced posted:

This is my expectation. He'll fantasize throwing someone up into the air, punching someone's head off, lasering someone in half for a petty reason, stuff like that. Until one time he does it for real, and he'll either panic or decide to revel in it. Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, right?

e: Another theory I don't expect but it would make things interesting: Doppleganger's body being all Homelander-ified made for good symbolism that he's trying to kill his human side, but I wonder if it's going to come back into play. It would make an interesting turn, even if only for an episode, for Homelander to use the body to fake his death, wear a disguise (maybe a Black Noir suit, so we can see a nod to the comic), and try to be someone else for a little while. It would backfire when he hears how much everyone really hated him.

Homelander fakes his own death, sews himself up inside a couch to eavesdrop on Vought employees talking about him at the company Christmas party

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jabby posted:

I went back and watched that scene. He laser's her for a pretty long time and it just discolors her skin (and makes a sizzle sound).

I think he does have control of the power (not instantly burning through that lady's head in season 1), but the question now is how much power was he hitting stormfront with?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

I went back and watched that scene. He laser's her for a pretty long time and it just discolors her skin (and makes a sizzle sound).

I think he does have control of the power (not instantly burning through that lady's head in season 1), but the question now is how much power was he hitting stormfront with?

I still hope that he was using a super low setting so that when they do finally have their showdown and you are expecting some big epic CGI brawl he just casually lasers her in half.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

He used it to heat milk, we know he definitely has power control.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Do we know for a fact Homelander just sped Butcher and the baby? He might have just lasered the line between the trigger and the bomb, knocked Butcher out, and triggered the bomb himself afterwards to cover up what he did. The rest's editing.

edit: (what he did to Stillwell)

itry fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 23, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

itry posted:

Do we know for a fact Homelander just sped Butcher and the baby? He might have just lasered the line between the trigger and the bomb, knocked Butcher out, and triggered the bomb himself afterwards to cover up what he did. The rest's editing.

iirc there was a new report saying there was an explosion at Stillwell's house. So unless he did what you said then want back and set it off, that seems unlikely.

Homelander force: I ain't gotta explain poo poo

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Getting the street dropped on him slowed him down enough for an escape. The only thing I can remember even resembling someone damaging him until Stormfront started throwing him around. And of course Homeboy, who I think you're supposed to assume is his eventual equal, shoving him.

Knocking him around isn't damaging him though. He's shown he isn't immune to being moved by thrown objects or super-strong individuals, but so far nothing has put a scratch on him. This is similar to Maeve but in contrast to Black Noir/Kimiko/Stormfront who can survive a lot but still show signs of injury.

spacetoaster posted:

When he first says "I'll cut you in half" and she insists he zap her anyway he seems pretty reluctant. I think he only turns it on for a split second until she's proven she can take it. This leads me to suspect he wasn't using his full power because he knows he'd get in shitloads of trouble if he just blew a hole right through her.

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 23, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

iirc there was a new report saying there was an explosion at Stillwell's house. So unless he did what you said then want back and set it off, that seems unlikely.

Homelander force: I ain't gotta explain poo poo

It's likelier than him just stripping Butcher of a bomb vest in a faster than light speed, is all I'm saying.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Aphrodite posted:

He used it to heat milk, we know he definitely has power control.

Comics spoilers I still can't believe they took that away from M.M. I mean, I understand it doesn't work on television but it was a great character thing too. Like, here's this super smart and powerful person but he withers without his milk. I only read to about #65, so maybe I'm missing a lot.

And while I'm talking about comic vs tv show:
Does anyone else get the vibe that there's a going to be a big reveal that all the Boys have taken / been taking Compound V and keeping it a secret from Hughie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Speaking of him lasering her tits, I did get a laugh imagining how that scene looked as acted, before the CGI was added. Just staring at her tits with maximum intensity.

Another Bill posted:

And while I'm talking about comic vs tv show:
Does anyone else get the vibe that there's a going to be a big reveal that all the Boys have taken / been taking Compound V and keeping it a secret from Hughie?

I can't really see it. Butcher gets flattened by Translucent, and none of them have really demonstrated any superhuman abilities. Plus if MM or Butcher had a supply of V why would one of their main goals be getting some to release to the media?

Personally I thought having The Boys be superpowered themselves was a bit of a flaw in the comics. You can't take the piss out of superheroes effectively when your gritty protagonists are superheroes.

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 23, 2020