Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

the shag seat makes so much sense to me now

yeah lol like the only time it has made sense to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If KTM had an orange and black branded shag seat you know you'd have it already.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol I did just finish removing my chinese cool covers mesh seat cover since it's cooling down so maybe :D

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Supradog posted:

It's very fun and also rewarding skill wise. After getting used to uneven ice under varying depth of loose snow cover or uneven glare ice most other surfaces feels like cheating.

Edit: and you can get yourself into even more silly situations than usual on a bike, like how to park in winter without needing the side stand.

If you don’t mind, can you run through the rest of your setup? I’m assuming heated grips inside the moose mitts and that that’s a snowmobile helmet, but what else do you wear/use for wintertime and snow riding/commuting?

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

moxieman posted:

If you don’t mind, can you run through the rest of your setup? I’m assuming heated grips inside the moose mitts and that that’s a snowmobile helmet, but what else do you wear/use for wintertime and snow riding/commuting?

We don't commute with the bikes, the salt slush on the roads is too grimy. We usually keep to unsalted roads with ice and snow surface.

Clothing; we use merino wool base layers (doesn't smell like poo poo after some days of riding, and is still warm even when wet).

Boots needs to be big, as you need air in them for insulation and lots of socks. Self-heating pads in the boots helps as well, but they last only 5-6 hours due to lack of oxygen. Klim Havoc GTX Boa snowbike shoes are recommended. We also use snow chains on our shoes when we drive in really stupid places.

Armour is a must, as we run snowmobile suits. We tried a couple of overalls, but went all in on Klim Rohne at a clearance sale a couple of year ago (600gr thinsulate pr square meter, you feel and looks like the michelin man wearing those).

I use hard knee armour, but soft upper armour (Knox Urbane Pro Shirt).

The gloves doesn't need to be too thick as we run heated grips and muffs, but we always bring some big, warm gloves as well just in case (Triumph Malvern, the spare gloves needs to be big as you need extra air in the gloves to keep warm).

Helmets must have heated visors, breath boxes is a must for some, but I don't use it.

The bikes are prepped with ACF50, and all wires are well lubricated (it is not too fun to thaw your throttle cables in the morning). Muffs over the hand guards, studded tires, and reindeer pelts for sitting on (the hollow hairs reflects the warmth back, and is warm and airy even when wet). Don't use sheep skins, as they just soaks up water. A thermometer to see how cold it really is is recommended.

By the way, the good thing about snowmobile gear is that you get to use ALL THE COLORS!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

helstein fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 24, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I got a heated visor last year when it got cold (not cold like your cold) here and it was lifechanging

props man. riding all the time is incredibly cool (heh)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't know heated visors were even a thing

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I only knew cause I was lucky enough to get to go snowmobiling a few years ago in idaho. I wired mine to plug into the same battery pack I use for my heated vest and it works great

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I didn't know heated visors were even a thing

Some bike helmet manufacturers (HJC, Scorpion) sell the same shells as their street helmets as snowmobile helmets and the only difference is the heated visor

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You can also get heated goggles. They’re good but I think (without trying) that unless you’re racing a snowmobile helmet with heated visor and breath box would be better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Between breath boxes and heated visors there is a ton I didn’t know about snowmobile helmet tech. I always assumed they were just motorcycle helmets with better wind protection.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can someone provide a link to a heated visor for an HJC IS-17 in XXL?

Can't find anywhere that sells one in the UK.

UK or EU links should be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I cannot honor your request but I can say:

Big head crew represent :hfive:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Steakandchips posted:

Can someone provide a link to a heated visor for an HJC IS-17 in XXL?

Can't find anywhere that sells one in the UK.

UK or EU links should be fine.

This says it fits all the sizes. https://www.ebay.com/itm/164074492619

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Between breath boxes and heated visors there is a ton I didn’t know about snowmobile helmet tech. I always assumed they were just motorcycle helmets with better wind protection.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

For cold weather riding, nothing beats the Ski-Doo Modular 2 helmet. Yes, it's for snowmobiles, but IIRC it is DOT certified and used by quite a lot of motorcycke riders as well. I've only used mine while snowmobiling though. It has a built in face mask that vents to the outside, a double walled visor and a built in sun visor. I've used mine in -18F without fogging, but some ice crystals did form on the outside of the visor, at the edge of my vision. Then again, if you ride motorcycles at -18F you've got other problems.

Not my pictures;

It got replaced with the Modular 3, and even that might be discontinued, but it's still a super helmet for cold weather.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

But does it fit an IS-17? There's another model of heated shield that fits the IS-16 and CL-17, but nothing I found says it's compatible with an IS-17

https://www.snogear.com/collections/hjc-snowmobile-helmet-shields

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It got replaced with the Modular 3, and even that might be discontinued, but it's still a super helmet for cold weather.

Looks like they're still making it, though the newer BV2S looks better. If I still have to do much winter riding after this year I might consider getting one shipped, since even with a pinlock fogging is a major issue.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just had a look at a teardown of Skidoo's oxygen helmet and it actually comes with those over-ear hearing defenders as standard that you were asking about modding in a while back. There's also space to slot in an intercom.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

But does it fit an IS-17? There's another model of heated shield that fits the IS-16 and CL-17, but nothing I found says it's compatible with an IS-17

https://www.snogear.com/collections/hjc-snowmobile-helmet-shields

I messaged the ebay seller, asking if it will fit either a 2XL IS-17 or a 2XL i70, he replied saying no:

"
New message from: helmetcountry (6,029Green Star)
The shield will not fit those models
"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I finally managed to dadify my bike with the aliexpress laminarlip I bought months ago. Three of the four fixing screws were, idk, seized or something, out of the box? They came out fine but just wouldn't go any distance into their holes, so I had to re-tap the threads. Gotta say the 40 piece tap set I got earlier this year is turning out to have been an excellent purchase, being able to fix hosed up screw threads instead of having to throw stuff out makes me feel like a wizard

e/ also my left side mirror locknut is totally seized, and the arm was jammed in a position where it would intersect my windscreen; fixed that by taking the mirror completely off and sliding an oil washer in underneath so it'd tighten down further back. It's a hack but it works!

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 28, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can you give a link to that lip? Laminar lip doesn't have screws, so I can't picture what you bought.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My guess is this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Can you give a link to that lip? Laminar lip doesn't have screws, so I can't picture what you bought.

??

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My guess is this

This exact one, yeah. The U clips that go over the main screen have four grub screws in the back to clamp it down.

I should probably drop some glue in those bits that fell off on Jim's.

e/ trip report: these things should be included standard with all touring screens. The noise difference is absolutely incredible, where the screen by itself had turbulence hitting my helmet right on the visor seal, with the lip air is getting whipped completely over my head (which I could actually see, condensation dripping off the top edge was getting whipped upwards instead of just rolling down the inside of the screen), and even when air does hit my head, like if I have to stretch up to peek over the screen, it's as clean flowing and quiet as not having a screen at all. A+++ mod, wouldn't be without one again.

e2/ an actual picture because why not

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 29, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah for a clearly “made in China” kinda janky thing it makes a world of difference in noise levels and wind buffeting.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I can confirm that it reduces wind noise a lot. However, I didn't like the look and removed it. Turns out the rubber reacted with my windshield and made it dull where it was afixed. Not a big deal to me, but just be aware that there might be a chemical reaction between your windshield and these things.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I have one of those MRA flip up deflectors and they're pretty much the best accessory ever

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Old oil only had 1k km on it so it wasn’t even remotely close to time for a change but .. boredom plus upcoming winterization means I changed it out along with the filter today.

Also replaced the drain plug with an ez-drain and spring clamp safety.

Dumb oil question from newb: Sightglass should be between min/max during operation or with the engine off? I filled it such that it was roughly in the centre while the engine was running vertically, without resting on the sidestand. This makes sense to me, but when I opened the drain to let some excess out it seemed kind of milky/frothy as I understand to happen when there’s too much.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Engine off. That’s how I have been taught.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Old oil only had 1k km on it so it wasn’t even remotely close to time for a change but .. boredom plus upcoming winterization means I changed it out along with the filter today.

Also replaced the drain plug with an ez-drain and spring clamp safety.

Dumb oil question from newb: Sightglass should be between min/max during operation or with the engine off? I filled it such that it was roughly in the centre while the engine was running vertically, without resting on the sidestand. This makes sense to me, but when I opened the drain to let some excess out it seemed kind of milky/frothy as I understand to happen when there’s too much.

Check your manual, most (? - certainly every bike with a sight class I've owned) specify engine off because when the engine is running the oil has better things to be doing than sitting around in the sump waiting to be looked at, and I'm not sure I'd be happy with only being able to find out I had a low oil level once the engine was actually running.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah good call, I somehow misplaced my manual but it’s easy enough to google and you guys are correct, wait for oil to settle then adjust based on sightglass.

I’ll drain the excess tomorrow. Easy enough now with the valve.

In retrospect that is very obvious and I’m feeling a non insignificant amount of shame for not thinking that through, but hey that’s why we do these things.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took my wife on our first two-up ride in a few years. Just a quick little rip around the north end of the city, half an hour, and riding pretty goddamn gingerly at that. But since it's been a while, and also our first time on the Rex, I didn't want to overdo it.

Gladly she still enjoys it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bought some more stinkos (805s) for my MABDR trip here in a month or so. not installing them til a week or so before just to see if I can break 10k on my front 705 again :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m surprised by how much I don’t hate the Shinko on the Goldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shinko have a big red line halfway up their model range - everything above it is near-parity with actually good tires, everything below is frictionless chinesium.

They're also really good for oddball late 80's/early 90's sizes because they still have all the old yokohama molds.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah for their price they should be turds but their 705s and the 805s have been good to me in the stupid stuff I use them in (rain, mud, sand, etc.)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My only experience with Shinko is the 705 so honestly I thought they must be a fantastic tire brand using old molds.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah I can't tell if their dirtbike tires are terrible or if it is because I only use them on my terrible bikes (crf230)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gifted my Ninja 250 to a friend who wants to learn to ride. Guess that’s the last time I post about the 250 then :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol it won’t be. Moto sales/gifts to friends are like bad pennies.
Cool though, hope you get some rides in with your friend and they let you ride it again.