Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

I know y'all aren't talking poo poo about heroic bloodshed action movie LEGEND John Woo!

Mission Impossible II is...not one of John Woo's better efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Verviticus posted:

man a whole lot of problems coulda been prevented across tng if picard said "warp 9" every time he needed to be somewhere instead of like, warp 4 or 5 or whatever

help our ship is blowing up in five minutes

ensign, warp...5

i like that in ds9 they just say "maximum warp" like 60% of the time. youre in space theres no highway you can go literally as fast as youre capable

What speed thing that bugs me is when they make someone take a shuttle somewhere as an excuse to get them away from the ship. It makes no sense. When La Forge is kidnapped by Romulans he is taking a shuttle that is sub light speed. Even if the trip takes 2 days the Enterprise could have just zipped him over in 40 seconds at warp 6.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

What speed thing that bugs me is when they make someone take a shuttle somewhere as an excuse to get them away from the ship. It makes no sense. When La Forge is kidnapped by Romulans he is taking a shuttle that is sub light speed. Even if the trip takes 2 days the Enterprise could have just zipped him over in 40 seconds at warp 6.

That trip was only a few hours, right? They're inconsistent about where they don't like to warp, but it's often implied that it's better to not warp in the inner solar system, even when they were chasing the Borg to Earth both the cube and the D dropped to impulse around Jupiter. Maybe they just drop out of warp at the safe warp limit, boot him out the door in a shuttlecraft to fly the rest of the way himself, and warp off.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was watching a late Season 3 TOS episode the other day and I swear they talk about going at Warp 14 at one point

I think they talked about Warp factors greater than 10 a few times in TOS, but that was when it just meant 'go really fast' instead of trying to be some pseudo-scientific thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

I think they talked about Warp factors greater than 10 a few times in TOS, but that was when it just meant 'go really fast' instead of trying to be some pseudo-scientific thing.

Also it's an as close to in-universe thing as possible that the TOS Warp Scale is some weird garbage thing that the Federation threw out circa the Enterprise-B or -C in favor of the TNG Warp Scale that only goes up to 9, like a country abandoning the Imperial system for Metric.

All Good Things' "Warp 13" doesn't count or matter because that was just Q loving with Picard. Also Andrew Probert is still pissed to this day about what they did to his beloved Galaxy-class in order to create the tri-nacelle Enterprise-D, which itself is just kinda :discourse:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

Mission Impossible II is...not one of John Woo's better efforts

Lesser John Woo is still wildly entertaining compared to the movie that cost 150 million dollars but is directed like an episode of Alias

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wrapping up TNG, just got to the season 7 episode about Worf's brother.

What an absolute piece of poo poo. Dude did not deserve even the slightest hint of a happy ending.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Verviticus posted:

man a whole lot of problems coulda been prevented across tng if picard said "warp 9" every time he needed to be somewhere instead of like, warp 4 or 5 or whatever

ensign, warp...5
In retrospect, there's a general lack of urgency to almost everything in TNG. Some impending catastrophe will be announced, and then the people responding to it just... walk... to the turbolift. Or a warbird will decloak, and the bridge crew stare silently at the viewscreen for five seconds before Riker tells Worf to raise shields.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

started watching TOS on the weekend because I realise I've gone my whole life knowing of its existence, grown up watching the films but never actually taking the time to watch the series that started it all.

just finished Mudd's Women and, when considering the other Trek I have familiarity with being TNG and the first 1.5 seasons of DS9, it feels like Trek shows just cannot have a good start to a series. I think I liked The Cage the most of what I've seen so far (I know it's not much and it's nowhere near as dire as the first 6 episodes of TNG but still) but maybe that's just because it was bold enough to have a woman be the XO as opposed to being 22nd century secretaries and victims of abuse.

I mean, I get it, it's the 60s, times were different, but the episodes I've seen so far make it seem like the women characters are being written this way because the writers were pissed that they had to include women at all in the show

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Payndz posted:

In retrospect, there's a general lack of urgency to almost everything in TNG. Some impending catastrophe will be announced, and then the people responding to it just... walk... to the turbolift. Or a warbird will decloak, and the bridge crew stare silently at the viewscreen for five seconds before Riker tells Worf to raise shields.

This isn't just a TNG thing, it's just an older style of non-action oriented storytelling.

You see it on the more "recent" OldTrek series like Voyager and Enterprise too, where they'll fire like one phaser beam at an enemy ship and then when it doesn't do poo poo, they talk about options for like two minutes before trying to just... keep firing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

started watching TOS on the weekend because I realise I've gone my whole life knowing of its existence, grown up watching the films but never actually taking the time to watch the series that started it all.

just finished Mudd's Women and, when considering the other Trek I have familiarity with being TNG and the first 1.5 seasons of DS9, it feels like Trek shows just cannot have a good start to a series. I think I liked The Cage the most of what I've seen so far (I know it's not much and it's nowhere near as dire as the first 6 episodes of TNG but still) but maybe that's just because it was bold enough to have a woman be the XO as opposed to being 22nd century secretaries and victims of abuse.

I mean, I get it, it's the 60s, times were different, but the episodes I've seen so far make it seem like the women characters are being written this way because the writers were pissed that they had to include women at all in the show

Things start to improve somewhat once they hire an actual woman to the writing staff, but yeah a LOT of TOS has an air of "What the gently caress, Gene?" to it, even when taken in the context of its era. Such as the final episode of the show that aired, where a female commander takes over Kirk's body so she can become a captain by proxy because Starfleet doesn't let people with ladyparts become starship captains. ...Yeah.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 23, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

That trip was only a few hours, right? They're inconsistent about where they don't like to warp, but it's often implied that it's better to not warp in the inner solar system, even when they were chasing the Borg to Earth both the cube and the D dropped to impulse around Jupiter. Maybe they just drop out of warp at the safe warp limit, boot him out the door in a shuttlecraft to fly the rest of the way himself, and warp off.

I think there's one episode of DS9 where there's a plot point of Kira ordering an in-system warp jump and everyone's all 'that's really dangerous'.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Verviticus posted:

ensign, warp...5

i like that in ds9 they just say "maximum warp" like 60% of the time. youre in space theres no highway you can go literally as fast as youre capable

A lot of the time in TNG it can be hand waved away as not putting unnecessary wear on the Enterprise engines and if they went everywhere at max speed it would mess up schedules and observations. Like if they are going somewhere for a diplomatic reason and can get there in 8 hours or 24 hours the 24 hours would often make sense for the senior crew being on duty.

Edit: also had it's pinnacle in Generations, where Picard urgently orders WARP ONE ENGAGE because it's a supernova, so long as they're FTL they're fine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Late-era TNG also had the whole "warp factors above 5 cause damage to the fabric of subspace" thing that they referred back to a few times, and that I think tech manuals and tertiary material handwaved away after Starfleet presumably developed less damaging engines.

So the whole climate change allegory there was kinda neutered.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think that is the technobabble behind why Voyager's nacelles move when going to warp

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

That was the intention but they never said it on Voyager. I think it was in a technical manual.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Behind the scenes the Voyager thing was apparently just because they wanted something to move on the ship to make Voyager more unique. If I recall correctly the early designs had some kind of pop out warp engine covers that would have been great as spring loaded features on a toy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Late-era TNG also had the whole "warp factors above 5 cause damage to the fabric of subspace" thing that they referred back to a few times, and that I think tech manuals and tertiary material handwaved away after Starfleet presumably developed less damaging engines.

So the whole climate change allegory there was kinda neutered.
IIRC there was also a big ‘you can exceed the warp limit in an emergency’ clause in that regulation

And guess what happens on most TNG episodes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I believe even TNG abandoned it, but I think even before this it was a point that you can't do whatever you want with the ship engine at any time, because there are technological limitations to its acceleration into higher "warp factors" and the associated stability. If you think blowing up is bad, try blowing up at several times the speed of light.

Time travel is also as simple to do as slingshotting around the sun in really any ship with a warp drive on it, so long as you're willing to have a minor psychotic break on the way.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
During our Trek journey we’ve now watched Where No Fan Has Gone Before twice and I’m convinced it’s the best TOS episode

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Wrapping up TNG, just got to the season 7 episode about Worf's brother.

What an absolute piece of poo poo. Dude did not deserve even the slightest hint of a happy ending.

For a moment I thought you were talking poo poo about Kurn and we were gonna have to throw down.

But then I realized you were talking about Worf's lovely human brother.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Senor Tron posted:

A lot of the time in TNG it can be hand waved away as not putting unnecessary wear on the Enterprise engines and if they went everywhere at max speed it would mess up schedules and observations. Like if they are going somewhere for a diplomatic reason and can get there in 8 hours or 24 hours the 24 hours would often make sense for the senior crew being on duty.

Edit: also had it's pinnacle in Generations, where Picard urgently orders WARP ONE ENGAGE because it's a supernova, so long as they're FTL they're fine.

I mean it makes sense when you remember all the times they had to phone down to engineering and go "can you get us to warp 9," etc. I imagine it's not all necessarily automated, it takes a significant amount of prep and manpower to hit those top speeds

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Seemlar posted:

Lesser John Woo is still wildly entertaining compared to the movie that cost 150 million dollars but is directed like an episode of Alias
Oh, I gotta check out Alias. I love schlocky spy stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Oh, I gotta check out Alias. I love schlocky spy stuff.

It's got some... wild quality swings to it, largely centered around brilliant or boneheaded story and casting decisions. Like hiring Lena Olin to be its main villain... and then sticking her character in a glass cell for an entire season and not allowing her to do poo poo all so she went "gently caress you then" and left the show. When it's good, it's amazing, but when it's bad, it's hilariously abysmal.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 23, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nine-gear crow posted:

All Good Things' "Warp 13" doesn't count or matter because that was just Q loving with Picard.

I actually love the idea that Q is just a Puckish illusionist who has literally no powers but making people see things and really, really believe in them. That really the whole of TNG was bookended by the showman's acts of a "flim-flam man"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I actually love the idea that Q is just a Puckish illusionist who has literally no powers but making people see things and really, really believe in them. That really the whole of TNG was bookended by the showman's acts of a "flim-flam man"

I mean it would explain why Sisko and Janeway worked him over so easily :v:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Humanity failed the trial hence Voyager and Enterprise

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Payndz posted:

there are a lot of times where they should just beam off the drat bridge to wherever they need to go

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Behind the scenes the Voyager thing was apparently just because they wanted something to move on the ship to make Voyager more unique. If I recall correctly the early designs had some kind of pop out warp engine covers that would have been great as spring loaded features on a toy.

The two main ideas they played with was engines that extend/move/have bits on them, or some kind of 'tactical mode' transformation.

Pop out engine covers stage:

Christ, it's amazing voyager ended up as streamlined and normal-looking as it did.

Anyway, that got pared down to this, which very very nearly made it on screen

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I almost like the over designed proto-Voyager, it's more interesting than the final ship which was not great and suffers from basically having no good angles at all

That design looked like it should have been for a *big* ship though, especially the version they drew with a Nebula style pod on top instead of the shield fin.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I get claustrophobic when I consider the proportions of The Voyager. And Neelix is rattling around in there too! Space hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What was the point of that giant fin behind the saucer

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

stabilizer, for when the space-air is a bit choppy.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

The fins are listed on the specs as "Absorption Shield Emitters". I guess that's different from deflector shields?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

The fins are listed on the specs as "Absorption Shield Emitters". I guess that's different from deflector shields?

If they were planning to have it land on planets from the get-go maybe it was for atmospheric dampening?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

If they were planning to have it land on planets from the get-go maybe it was for atmospheric dampening?

There was a big fin underneath as well so this would be well before the landing idea

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

oh but seriously I posted:

I get claustrophobic when I consider the proportions of The Voyager. And Neelix is rattling around in there too! Space hell.

It's got more deck space than an aircraft carrier, the thing is massive. Fifteen decks for a hundred fifty people!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Initially they were thinking an AWACS pod like the nebula, although the purpose hadn't been set down yet. They design for the look first and then fit the excuse in afterwards. Then they reduced it to a fin, and then got rid of it altogether.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think it’s more people underestimate how absolutely fuckoff huge a Galaxy class is, so a comparatively compact Intrepid is going to appear small.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey speaking of nerdy stuff, part of my current projects involves cleaning up some ship blueprints from over the years, because the original prints weren't great quality even at high-res scans.

And I got around to putting that pipeline into its own github repo, the outputs are visible here if anyone might want them. The process vectorises them so I can source off the vector at arbitrary resolution, although there's still a lot of printing weirdness visible on the vectors.

(Sourced various direct scans at this site, which has all the legends and labels I stripped out of mine)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Imagine being the poor assholes who live in the middle of the deck and have absolutely zero windows so they can't even see whatever weird space anomaly is going to kill them while they hunker down in quarters.