Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

I enjoy anime the most when it's completely absurd in premise and/or execution: FLCL, Girls und Panzer, Cells at Work!, Panty & Stocking, etc. What are some good, light in tone (or at least obviously comically over the top with dark humor) animes that would fit my clearly discerning pallet?

I'm asking you guys because I don't know poo poo about anime. Case in point, I picked up Madoka Magica at one point because it looked like a cute but somber magical girl anime, and welp

Nichijou miiiiiiiiiiiiiiight be a little too slice-of-life-y for what you're asking for, but it still has some delightfully absurd slapstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chokes McGee posted:

I enjoy anime the most when it's completely absurd in premise and/or execution: FLCL, Girls und Panzer, Cells at Work!, Panty & Stocking, etc. What are some good, light in tone (or at least obviously comically over the top with dark humor) animes that would fit my clearly discerning pallet?

I'm asking you guys because I don't know poo poo about anime. Case in point, I picked up Madoka Magica at one point because it looked like a cute but somber magical girl anime, and welp

Magical Witch Punie-chan

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm glad someone else already recommended dorohedoro because that confirms for me that i'm not the only one who thinks dorohedoro fits perfectly

it is pretty violent though if that's an issue

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kyosougiga.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Tales of Woe posted:

humanity has declined

turn on your monitor :smug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm glad someone else already recommended dorohedoro because that confirms for me that i'm not the only one who thinks dorohedoro fits perfectly

it is pretty violent though if that's an issue

Dorohedoro is easily the funniest thing I have ever seen / read which is anywhere near that violent, though I feel like the animation and cleaner art style steps up the humour a notch compared to the manga. I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see how well it adapted to anime.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School is a classic. Watch the dub.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Chokes McGee posted:

You might like Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight. It doesn't stay entirely light in tone, but it certainly is absurd.

Also, watch

Endorph posted:

kyosougiga.

edit: Oh, oh, watch ACCA 13!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
queue filling up, please send life preserver, oh noooooo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

queue filling up, please send life preserver, oh noooooo

I asked a very similar question last page so if you want even more recommendations go look up the ones they gave me as well (there is some overlap).

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions has shown up twice now under the "People also watched:" list for some of the shows you guys recommended. Is it any good?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

I asked a very similar question last page so if you want even more recommendations go look up the ones they gave me as well (there is some overlap).

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions has shown up twice now under the "People also watched:" list for some of the shows you guys recommended. Is it any good?

i like it but i can't think of anything mentioned in here recently that it's similar to, its probably just showing up because it's popular? or maybe if you were watching other kyoani shows

it's a cringe comedy romcom. it's by kyoani so the animation is super good. season 1 is good, season 2 less so.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chuunibyou is ok but mostly for the anime-original side characters, the main cast are just like, fine. s2 has some dumb bits but i don't think i'd be as upset about it these days as i was when i watched it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Season one is fine enough but I extremely regret watching the rest.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Srice posted:

Season one is fine enough but I extremely regret watching the rest.

So, I binged this back in March after first round of US lockdowns were happening. And I felt like season 2 was pretty weak, but I never really bothered to read any discussions about the show. Glad to get confirmation my anime quality scale is still more-or-less adjusted properly. :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk the main relationship stuff in s2 is pretty weak but mori summer and dekomori get some fun episodes and i was never that into the main relationship so i don't really regret watching at least the first half that much

like i wouldn't give it a big rec but depending on what you liked about s1 i don't think it's the worst thing in the world, just a kinda mediocre s2 of a romcom with some fun side characters

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 16, 2020

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Colonel posted:

just a kinda mediocre s2 of a romcom with some fun side characters

Well Im sold. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thanks for whoever recommended Dorohedoro, it exactly scratches the itch I had.

what if fist of the north star, but lizards, and also in sigil

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Check out the manga after you've finished the anime! It's extremely good

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I am looking for recommendations on anime’s on Hulu. Two broad categories.

1. “Serious”-ish stuff: Cowboy Bebop (less serious: Samurai Champloo)

2. Sillier stuff; My Hero Academia and Classroom Assassination.

Anything that’s similar to the above four shows would be swell.

I also like pretty animation and preferably dubs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I am looking for recommendations on anime’s on Hulu. Two broad categories.

1. “Serious”-ish stuff: Cowboy Bebop (less serious: Samurai Champloo)

2. Sillier stuff; My Hero Academia and Classroom Assassination.

Anything that’s similar to the above four shows would be swell.

I also like pretty animation and preferably dubs.

Looks like Trigun is on Hulu if you haven't seen it already
Black Lagoon
Blood Blockade Battlefront, no dub though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

Black Lagoon

Uhhh, BBB absolutely has a dub?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uhhh, BBB absolutely has a dub?

Not on Hulu.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Doublepost but anyone have a recommendation for a good mindless anime with a dub? Something designed to watch whilst you are kind of zoned out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hunt11 posted:

Doublepost but anyone have a recommendation for a good mindless anime with a dub? Something designed to watch whilst you are kind of zoned out.

Yugioh GX

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hunt11 posted:

Restaurant to Another World.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i very mindlessly watched blue exorcist dubbed on netflix during early quarantine wfh

the anime original stuff at the end is definitely a turd even then, but otherwise big fan of the performances

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BE is like the best example of "loving wait till you have at least a pair of cours worth of material" to adapt.

I didn't even know it was anime original at the time and it was dog turds. Did they readapt the beginning in that one new version?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

BE is like the best example of "loving wait till you have at least a pair of cours worth of material" to adapt.

I didn't even know it was anime original at the time and it was dog turds. Did they readapt the beginning in that one new version?

the new season ignores any of that happened and just continues from whatever episode s1 diverged from the manga at

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That's kinda confusing. Is it any good?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

didn't get around to the kyoto anime yet so i've got no idea, i do remember enjoying what was out of it in the manga all the way back after s1 had finished

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

GorfZaplen posted:

Black Lagoon

I love Trigun! I also enjoyed S1 of black lagoon a lot. S2 was a bit meh. I’ve seen both, so you are very good at recommending shows!

I’ll try BBB even if it is subs on Hulu.

Thank you.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

didn't get around to the kyoto anime yet so i've got no idea, i do remember enjoying what was out of it in the manga all the way back after s1 had finished
same, basically. I watched up to the point where it diverted from the manga then just hopped over and read it for a while. I fell off of it because scans dried up for a bit or something and never got back to it, but I have been meaning to rewatch the good part of s1 then pick up s2 at some point because I remember it being pretty fun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hunt11 posted:

Panty & Stocking

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations.

Julias posted:

Yugioh GX

I remember watching some of it when I was younger so it should be a fun nostalgia trip.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Restaurant to Another World.

I remember hearing good things about the show but never got around to watching it so I will give it a try.

dogsicle posted:

i very mindlessly watched blue exorcist dubbed on netflix during early quarantine wfh

the anime original stuff at the end is definitely a turd even then, but otherwise big fan of the performances

Watched it already and had a very similar opinion about it being fun until the anime only stuff hit.

AlternateNu posted:

Panty & Stocking

Could always rewatch it in full instead of just watching key episodes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AlternateNu posted:

Panty & Stocking

with, and I cannot emphasize this enough, Garter Belt

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

same, basically. I watched up to the point where it diverted from the manga then just hopped over and read it for a while. I fell off of it because scans dried up for a bit or something and never got back to it, but I have been meaning to rewatch the good part of s1 then pick up s2 at some point because I remember it being pretty fun.

Kyoto was my favorite arc in the manga, and I watched the anime as it aired and I'd say it's a solid adaptation.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is B: The Beginning any good? There was a pretty sweet AMV in the Akross Con contest this past year that used it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Never watched it myself, but the reception here seemed positive at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Is B: The Beginning any good? There was a pretty sweet AMV in the Akross Con contest this past year that used it.

it's a pastiche of Sherlock-type police procedural and 00s action anime, with all the good/bad/dumb that entails. the animation is consistently great and it has some fun characters, so as long as your expectations are at that level it should be a good time.