Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dustcat posted:

an engineer familiar with newton's laws would probably be involved in the process of designing an actual craft around the engine

Honestly, friends, if you need a weird escape, read about hypothetical methods of 1950s space propulsion. It starts with spaceship engines running hot enough to use gaseous uranium in their reactor and goes outward from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

2DCAT posted:

Sailor chases the block that was tossed to sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MWlAFaeFE

what program are you using for this?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Flavius Aetass posted:

what program are you using for this?

Moho

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

goddamn that's expensive

if covid hadn't killed our funding id ask my boss for it

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

redsniper posted:

Has this come up? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asemic_writing
It's the proper term for illegible madman writing apparently. Seemed extremely relevant to this thread.

this is really interesting, I think I would have really gotten along with Zhang Xu:

“Legend has it that whenever he was drunk, he would use his hair as brush to perform his art, and upon his waking up, he would be amazed by the quality of those works but failed to produce them again in his sober state. Under the excitement of art (and wine), he became oblivious of social expectations, and would often fling off his cap in the presence of princes and nobles. Hence he came to be known as 張顛 (Zhang the Madman).”

I read an article about that a while back: https://www.newyorker.com/books/second-read/how-dreams-change-under-authoritarianism

That also reminds me of one of my favorite novels ever, The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadere.

“ Set ostensibly in the Ottoman Empire, but in a deliberately imprecise past shaded by myth and intended to represent the modern totalitarian state, The Palace of Dreams follows the rapid rise of Mark-Alem, a young Ottoman Albanian related to the powerful Köprülü family, within the bureaucratic regime of the title palace, a shady ministry whose objective is to gather, examine and interpret the dreams of the empire's subjects in order to uncover the master-dreams, which are believed to shell the future destiny of the Sultan and the state.

Conceived in the years 1972-1973 and written between 1976 and 1981, The Palace of Dreams is widely regarded as one of Kadare's masterpieces. After an emergency meeting of the Albanian Writers Union and a public denunciation by Ramiz Alia, Enver Hoxha's designated successor, the novel was banned two weeks after its publication, even though, "in an absurdist twist", by that time, the book had already sold out.“

2DCAT posted:

owns, owns, owns

you should let me know if you need me to draw some stuff, I can draw a squid. We could make some pretty cool animations if we team up!

twoday
May 4, 2005

snoo posted:

haha, 'chumbo'

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
twoday could you possibly embed a small soundchip onto the Remember Sailor page that will play a few notes old 2DCats remember sailor track when opened like a hallmark card? Probably too expensive but uhhhh we're talking about a holy manuscript here

twoday
May 4, 2005

Hmm, if he was ok with that maybe I could, but they’re much more expensive than I expected, it looks like one of those things is $10 a pop at least, so probably not unless I find some cheaper ones

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I would advise against it. If you truly want to archive the C SPAM zeitgeist into the post-apocalypse, you want to create a piece that will not lose part of its message when it runs out of battery.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

just include the score of the remember sailor theme in big enough print so that a monastic choir can sing along

twoday
May 4, 2005

Uranium posted:

just include the score of the remember sailor theme in big enough print so that a monastic choir can sing along

hahaha I like this

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Uranium posted:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I think I should post this here, oldish news, but good:

Pablo Escobar's 'cocaine hippos' are thriving in the Colombian rain forest, and may have taken up a ecological niche once occupied by extinct megafauna, as they appear to be helping the environment, not harming it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I read this as cocaine hippies multiple times before clicking the article and seeing the hippo picture.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

tangy yet delightful posted:

I read this as cocaine hippies multiple times before clicking the article and seeing the hippo picture.

Yeah, the term "cocaine hippos" doesn't help, because are those like the cocaine bear and the cocaine pigs, are they powered by cocaine...?

twoday
May 4, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

2DCAT posted:

Holy poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

Holy poo poo

I would be interested in seeing a short making of guide for Remember Sailor animations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

etalian posted:

I would be interested in seeing a short making of guide for Remember Sailor animations.

I think you'd learn more from watching this. I watched this video around 100 times and took would I could to apply it to photoshop and moho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqcHCEqO1k

Also... twoday's message to me earlier today now makes sense and I fully approve :911:

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DrSamGeorge1/status/1287494011926831106?s=19

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Hello please draw and transcribe every tweet like this in the thread

https://twitter.com/sojaro/status/1311909260008321024

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
just doodling lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

frankenfreak posted:

just doodling lol

Lol

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Hello please draw and transcribe every tweet like this in the thread

https://twitter.com/sojaro/status/1311909260008321024

New dark souls looks weird

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

I can tell you all about the Unseen Village of Yahar'gul, cuz I been there. I've got eyes on the inside, man. That's why we got to hunt the Great Ones.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Please pray for Hope Hicks and/or send her some good vibes.

It's from The Triumph of Death by Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

On October first which happened to be the full moon and the night trump tested positive for COVID, twitter was flooded with these curses written in Ethiopian as replies to trump's tweet

https://twitter.com/Natberh/status/1312027341787459584

You get the idea. Use an unfamiliar language with spooky photos and scare the straights. Another idea for the book.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Oct 3, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yes very good, I will add it in. also I have been working on other stuff lately that will be good, stand down and stand by

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lol at Trump's last act being saving someone's else's life

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

Yes very good, I will add it in. also I have been working on other stuff lately that will be good, stand down and stand by

although I saw some Ethiopian people that were not very happy that their amharic alphabet/language is used to denote "evil demon speak"/satanic by a bunch of twitter people because it just looks unfamilliar to them.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
that is understandable but maybe they should have thought about that before adopting the evil demon speak alphabet

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Listen, old culture = demon speak. Why do you suppose Ancient Sumer always gets a look in?*

*Actually thinking about it for a sec, the fact that [some] variety of Babylon has a strange relationship with the bible might have something to do with it

twoday
May 4, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

although I saw some Ethiopian people that were not very happy that their amharic alphabet/language is used to denote "evil demon speak"/satanic by a bunch of twitter people because it just looks unfamilliar to them.

Yeah I posted that, I thought it was questionable to use it as demon script. People view it as demon script,but that's not the case. However there is nothing that actually says it was demon script, it was just someone cursing trump in that language. And I am fine having foreign language curses against trump in the book. I am not certain that it wasn't a native speaker of that language who posted it.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
That's why I brought up the shorthand and Shaw alphabet and stuff a while back. It looks like mysterious and unintelligible demon speak, but it's really just english.
Of course there are also "real" magic alphabets too that people used to communicate with angels and devils back in the day.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Petition the Unicode committee to add Mr. Saturn script

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sorry but I just cannot take seriously any constructed language that wasn't created by people drinking lead and mercury for the clarity of thought it gave them

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

redsniper posted:

That's why I brought up the shorthand and Shaw alphabet and stuff a while back. It looks like mysterious and unintelligible demon speak, but it's really just english.
Of course there are also "real" magic alphabets too that people used to communicate with angels and devils back in the day.

Let's not even discuss the angelic language bad stuff happens just thinking about it

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Unfortunately John Dee's Enochian script is not available in Unicode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

just use the TEUMM NO P script, bing bing bong, so simple!