  • Post
ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Gerdalti posted:

Too high? Think slanting more large would be wiser?

What’s your reasoning for the 5% international? That’s pretty low.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have 20% International personally.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jokes posted:

They’re caricatures of real people though.

This is the point and why it is funny to me.

Also you know people see that and are out there trying to buy that stock.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

ho fan posted:

What’s your reasoning for the 5% international? That’s pretty low.

Nothing in particular, it's just been what I've done the past few years. I didn't even have international until about 3 years ago, because I had no idea.
What would a more reasonable split look like?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Nobody has a clue what a reasonable U.S/international split looks like. I do about 25% but I absolutely do not claim there's any science behind it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My 401k is 75% VINIX and 25% VIEIX.

I’m comfortable with the VINIX, it’s probably the best fund in my 401k offerings. I looked tonight at the holdings of VIEIX and saw that TSLA was the #1 holding, which... ehhh, I’m not so comfortable with.

The next few are SQ, LULU, WDAY, VEEV, NXPI, BX. I’m ok with those, actually happy to see VEEV as I work in that space and see acceptance and use of their product has become ubiquitous over the past few years.

Should I worry about this fund holding that much TSLA?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Xguard86 posted:

As above said, we'd owe taxes after conversion right? (That in itself isn't bad but we're looking to buy a home so would defer to after the big spend to be as liquid as possible for all the money pits of home buying)

oh yeah you def would have to pay tax on any conversion unless fsr you have an after-tax amount in the ira

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Gerdalti posted:

Too high? Think slanting more large would be wiser?

your international exposure is really low, relatively.

40 large us
45 international
15 small mid

is roughly where most of my young and aggressive investors end up. if you're in that general range and you're comfy w/ an all stock portfolio i think thats fine, you can adjust a little bit on each of them to your preference, but that's a pretty "standard" 100% stock allocation

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
There's no way to set up a joint IRA with a spouse, is there? Want to take advantage of the additional $6,000 contribution limit for my wife (who works! but her money mostly just sits there), but I'd prefer not to have to create and maintain a separate brokerage account.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

There's no way to set up a joint IRA with a spouse, is there? Want to take advantage of the additional $6,000 contribution limit for my wife (who works! but her money mostly just sits there), but I'd prefer not to have to create and maintain a separate brokerage account.

The I stands for Individual.

So no.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chad Sexington posted:

There's no way to set up a joint IRA with a spouse, is there? Want to take advantage of the additional $6,000 contribution limit for my wife (who works! but her money mostly just sits there), but I'd prefer not to have to create and maintain a separate brokerage account.

With Vanguard (and I'm sure pretty much everyone else), you can set up an account then give someone else the ability to access/trade within it.

That's what I do for my wife's backdoor Roth, for example.

The only backdoor she gives me access to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

With Vanguard (and I'm sure pretty much everyone else), you can set up an account then give someone else the ability to access/trade within it.

That's what I do for my wife's backdoor Roth, for example.

Same. At Vanguard, but I used to do this at ETrade before we moved the IRAs there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

With Vanguard (and I'm sure pretty much everyone else), you can set up an account then give someone else the ability to access/trade within it.

That's what I do for my wife's backdoor Roth, for example.

The only backdoor she gives me access to.

Same with Fidelity.

and my wife.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Same. At Vanguard, but I used to do this at ETrade before we moved the IRAs there.

H110Hawk posted:

Same with Fidelity.

and my wife.

One of these posts is not like the other.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any thoughts on the S&P 500 being, de facto, enough for your international exposure?

I occasionally see that argument made based on data like this:

Article: How Global Is The S&P 500?
From: SeekingAlpha
Date: 2018 FEB 15

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Ally just dropped its savings rate from 0.8 to 0.6 APY

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MorrisBae posted:

Ally just dropped its savings rate from 0.8 to 0.6 APY

And suggested "investing options."

:v:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We all get the emails

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cheese eats mouse posted:

We all get the emails

not really mate, some of us have other providers and it's always interesting to see who jumps first

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

cheese eats mouse posted:

We all get the emails

lol I thought of this thread when I got the email :3:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

We all get the emails

Nope. I don't get any emails from them with spam. In fact this morning when I logged in I was surprised to see that it was still 0.80%

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Surely this is the last cut.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

drat guys goondolences how are you all holding up

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fart simpson posted:

drat guys goondolences how are you all holding up

Emergency fund still adequate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Good news! Inflation is so low that even at nearly 0% you aren't losing money just by being in cash.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fart simpson posted:

drat guys goondolences how are you all holding up

Looked at my Ally account and realized I could probably go with $1000 less in there so I bought some more index fund. :toot:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Leperflesh posted:

Good news! Inflation is so low that even at nearly 0% you aren't losing money just by being in cash.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leperflesh posted:

Good news! Inflation is so low that even at nearly 0% you aren't losing money just by being in cash.

Chad Sexington posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

He’s right though?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you twist it through the pedantic filter enough, yeah. But our current “near zero” inflation rate is 1.3%, and savings accounts are yielding about half of that.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Fireside Nut posted:

lol I thought of this thread when I got the email :3:

Lol same

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Residency Evil posted:

He’s right though?

Food prices alone were up 4.6% YoY in August.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chad Sexington posted:

Food prices alone were up 4.6% YoY in August.

Seems like 1.3% overall though?

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Emergency fund still adequate.

12 hours later....still adequate. Interest rate ultimately doesn't matter.

A guy who works for me asked what it would take to get me out of Ally. I told him negative rates. What else would I do with cash? Put it in my mattress? Come on now.

Would it be great to make some money on the emergency fund, sure. but ultimately it is insured and is available in a pinch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a reddit thread about a bunch of smaller banks and unions that give 2-4% apy on smaller amounts of money. So if you're willing to spread around like 15,000 between 6 banks you can earn more.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Some people may be interested in a floating-rate bond fund as an alternative to a money-market fund or HYSA for cash allocation where you don't need the cash, like, instantly. See:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com...location2_2=100
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239534/ishares-floating-rate-bond-etf

Slight edge to doing it while still being a "safe" investment during non-total-financial-system-collapse times. Plus you're not locked into something for a term like you are with CDs. But, CASHX returns may trail an Ally HYSA.

Probably not much point to doing it at the moment due to low yields across the board and the fact that HYSA rate drops have lagged the market, but in the future... it's something to keep an eye on.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I’ve been starting to do a bit of taxable investing, and I’m looking at series I savings bonds as a possible pairing with total market stock funds.

My total taxable investment amount per year is low enough that the $10k/year I bond limits won’t be an issue. Nevertheless, I’m not clear on how the limits apply with joint registrations.

I.e., if I buy $100 of I bonds registered so that both my wife and I can exercise them, how does this affect our purchase limits for the rest of the year?

I’ve tried to Google for an answer and may not be using the right terms...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nuurd posted:

I’ve been starting to do a bit of taxable investing, and I’m looking at series I savings bonds as a possible pairing with total market stock funds.

My total taxable investment amount per year is low enough that the $10k/year I bond limits won’t be an issue. Nevertheless, I’m not clear on how the limits apply with joint registrations.

I.e., if I buy $100 of I bonds registered so that both my wife and I can exercise them, how does this affect our purchase limits for the rest of the year?

I’ve tried to Google for an answer and may not be using the right terms...

Toss it in international and get the tax credits?

80k
Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Nuurd posted:

I’ve been starting to do a bit of taxable investing, and I’m looking at series I savings bonds as a possible pairing with total market stock funds.

My total taxable investment amount per year is low enough that the $10k/year I bond limits won’t be an issue. Nevertheless, I’m not clear on how the limits apply with joint registrations.

I.e., if I buy $100 of I bonds registered so that both my wife and I can exercise them, how does this affect our purchase limits for the rest of the year?

I’ve tried to Google for an answer and may not be using the right terms...

You can:
- register it in yours and her name together.
- grant transaction right to your wife (this is not automatic)

...but they are still yours and apply to your limit only. If your wife logs into her treasury direct account, she won't see those bonds unless you do step two, and even if you do, she has to navigate through several menus before she can even see them.

80k fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2020

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Toss it in international and get the tax credits?

Thanks, I plan to include some international index funds, but I’m specifically looking at bond(ish) pairings for lower volatility. The series I bonds intrigue me since they’re tax deferred.

80k posted:

You can:
- register it in yours and her name together.
- grant transaction right to your wife (this is not automatic)

...but they are still yours and apply to your limit only. If your wife logs into her treasury direct account, she won't see those bonds unless you do step two, and even if you do, she has to navigate through several menus before she can even see them.

Ok, thanks, that helps! I don’t know that I’ll ever get deep enough into this to worry about the limits, but it bothered me to not understand.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a reddit thread about a bunch of smaller banks and unions that give 2-4% apy on smaller amounts of money. So if you're willing to spread around like 15,000 between 6 banks you can earn more.
I made a post about this a page back.

literally this big posted:

While there are a lot of banks offering high yield savings accounts like this with lots of restrictions and activity requirements, I don't want to have to actively think about my accounts on such a regular basis, and then suffer negative consequences if I don't live my life in a way that satisfies their requirements. So I looked and I compiled a list of all the no-bullshit super high yield savings accounts on there, and I've posted about the a few times before.

Essentially, I've found several high yield savings accounts paying 3-5-6% APY on FDIC-insured cash. The only real catch is each account only earns that rate on the first $1,000 or so (and about 0.5% on everything after that). One of the accounts is $1k@6%, six of them are $1k@5%, and one credit union offers both a $500@5% and a $3,000@3%, for a total of $10,500 FDIC-insured cash across 8 banks/credit unions earning ~4.5% interest, for about $480/year. Once set up, these accounts require virtually no maintenance, other than automatic ACH transfers and withdrawing the the interest on occasion. None of these accounts are restricted to any specific state or geographic region. Some people dislike the $10,500 cap and the large number of accounts, some people really like the ability to save up to $10,500 cash, FDIC-insured, that earns equity-like returns. That's up to you.

Since you linked that Doctor of Credit page, I'll post the accounts that I've found on there:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4